shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Should this Sapphire stay or GO?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I like the outline of the first, and the color is lovely, but it doesn''t seem to have much "life." The Michael E stone on the other hand has a gorgeous depth of color and really seems to draw the eye into it. I love sapphires that just pull you in and almost hypnotize you with their beauty.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am right there with you!! Let me tell ya, when I see your avatar..........NOW THAT''s WHAT I''M TALKIN ABOUT!!
3.gif
GORGEOUS! I want a sapphire that has a nice faceting pattern from the top of the stone to the culet. I can see why Micheal E didn''t recut it. I hope that it is even more beautiful in person. I am feeling like I should have gotten this one in the first place. I hate to buy and return and buy and return. Damn gemstones are so hard to buy online. I have bought a few inexpensive stones on Ebay and have to say, I have been quite impressed. The more expensive stones....... I feel safer buying locally. Too many duds out there and the pictures all seem to be enhanced on Ebay.......
14.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It is sometimes a crapshoot. But when one calls to you like a sirene, you must respond. That Michael E looks like a winner!! Your thread inspired me to go get my sapphire and put it on. It still lures me deep into its depths. I hope that is what you find too!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
hmm, color is definitely pretty... but it doesn''t seem to be the most lively stone ever. I''ll agree w/ the others that i think the cut is a little off, so I think I would pass. The Michael E stone looks like it has some potential though! Make sure to post pictures of that one as well
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's difficult to tell without seeing in person but the culet is definitely not centered and I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the window. I would think (and forgive me because I'm not a cutter) that re-centreing the culet wouldn't mean losing too much of the weight. It's got a lovely colour and I think it would look sensational if the window area reflected back light the way the sides do. One more quick question, is the colour even throughout? It may be the angle of the photo or the cut but in a couple of them the bottom of the gemstone looks slightly lighter.

The other sapphire you've just posted up looks gorgeous but would it make you happy as it sounds like you really want a cushion cut? It's certainly a stunner though! Tough decision but I think you're going to end up with a winner no matter what you choose.

Good luck with your decision.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the stone has a "decent" cut to it...but it is rather shallow cut for the size which is giving it the windowing effect. I can definately see print of the newspaper as I set it on top of it. In some lighting and when the stone is turned a certain way, it looks quite nice. I new when I first laid eyes on it that it wasn''t singing to me but thought I would get a consensus from all of you! You all have been great. I have learned alot in my search for a sapphire. I don''t think this stone could be recut since the pavillion is rather shallow. ...but I am no expert. Honestly, I prefer more of the native cut too. I know many on here just love the concave cuts........but I personally am not a fan. I guess I have seen too many of those mystic blue topaz stones in T.J. Maxx cut that way and that kinda "cheapens" it for me. Besides, Richard Homer no longer does re-cuts as I have read on several threads.
3.gif
So... all this said, I ordered the Micheal E stone and should get it in a few days! I am hoping that this is "THE ONE". It is a nice large size and within budget.............
31.gif

oh I found another pic that Michael E. sent me..

Micheal E sapph.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m with you too, cushion, on liking the native cut stones. Richard is a master but concave cuts are not for me. I can''t wait to see what this stone looks like in your hands! And the size...... luscious!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2008 7:04:25 PM
Author: Upgradable
I''m with you too, cushion, on liking the native cut stones. Richard is a master but concave cuts are not for me. I can''t wait to see what this stone looks like in your hands! And the size...... luscious!!
Thritto, while I know Richard is a master that turns out beautiful stones, concave cuts just do not do it for me. I can''t wait to see pictures of the Michael E. stone!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 9:18:33 PM
Author: Catmom

Date: 7/21/2008 7:04:25 PM
Author: Upgradable
Thritto, while I know Richard is a master that turns out beautiful stones, concave cuts just do not do it for me. I can''t wait to see pictures of the Michael E. stone!!
Same for me... I appreciate the concave cuts, but don''t think I would ever purchase one for setting purposes. (maybe to play with though
31.gif
) They''re a little too in your face for me.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The MICHEAL E stone is here....!!! What do you all think!!!??? This is an outdoor shady picture.

DSCF5350.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
outdoor shade...

DSCF5349.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indoor natural light...

DSCF5325.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
outdoors...

oval outdoor.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This outdoor shot represents the stone best!
21.gif
Dang- it is so hard to get good gemstone pictures!!
3.gif

DSCF5355.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Outdoor in the sunlight!

DSCF5372.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Culet...

DSCF5364.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indoor...

DSCF5377.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
outdoor in sun with the cushion for comparison

DSCF5383.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another...

DSCF5391.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
indoor...

lamplight.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
21.gif

oval light.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Done... phew!
3.gif

DSCF5409.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
any thoughts??

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the shape and the color of the cushion, but the round has far more sparkle. Too bad we can''t combine the atributes of both.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like the new round one a lot! It seems to do well in indoor and out door light. The cushions nice too but I prefer the round one.

Also the cushion shows some sort of tilt window in a lot of the pics , plus less sparkle.
Which do you like?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also prefer the round to the cushion, but it depends on what you like that matters.

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the new one you posted, yummo!
3.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually it is a "Roval" shape. I definately love the sparkle factor of the roval. It is beautifully faceted, eye clean and has a diamond like sparkle. It changes color in different lighting showing a purple hue. It reminds of a tanzanite in most lighting. I definately has me singing alot more than the cushion does, although I prefer the color to be a tiny bit deeper and would like a cushion shaped stone........ I think the shape of this roval is appealing to me more and more!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you're not particular about shape and WANT a cushion, I would keep the roval one! It looks gorgeous!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 3:12:07 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
Actually it is a 'Roval' shape. I definately love the sparkle factor of the roval. It is beautifully faceted, eye clean and has a diamond like sparkle. It changes color in different lighting showing a purple hue. It reminds of a tanzanite in most lighting. I definately has me singing alot more than the cushion does, although I prefer the color to be a tiny bit deeper and would like a cushion shaped stone........ I think the shape of this roval is appealing to me more and more!
If your heart is signing more with the roval than the cushion you have your answer! However, if you are not 100%, there is no harm in taking your time to find a deeper color - even if that means going with a different cushion.

Funny, when I was looking at your pictures, I thought he shape was unique, but could not quite figure it out! I like the roval shape & I really like how it sparkles. Personally, I love the color of tanzanite, but have hesitated b/c they soft.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results