shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Should this Sapphire stay or GO?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I won''t say too much about this sapphire as I really want unbiased opinions! I took a ton of pics!

Outdoor/overcast lighting:

DSCF5253.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
same lighting:

DSCF5265.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
same lighting

DSCF5269.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This picture is truest to the stone:

DSCF5278.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
indoor lighting.. no flash

indoor sapph.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
indoor with flash:

DSCF5301.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
indoor with flash again:

DSCF5316.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
culet/pavillion outdoors

culet sapph.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
outdoor...

cush sapph.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
outdoor...

DSCF5259.JPG

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 12:03:45 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I have to say I like it.. BUT I can totally see it re-cut by Richard Homer as a concave cut.. with that color, it would sparkle like crazy. I''d wear it as is (ok ok in a setting..
20.gif
) in a heartbeat.

Ditto on the Richard Homer recut if possible. The lighter color would be very sparkly. Beautiful either way though.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks lovely, especially the pic that looks true to life!

Quick question, though - does it have a small window in it? In the hand shots, it looks like I can see through it a bit - could just be me.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut seems to be off a bit and I was thinking the same thing about the window but I have to say that I LOVE the color and the shape!!!!!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 1:05:40 PM
Author: Catmom
The cut seems to be off a bit and I was thinking the same thing about the window but I have to say that I LOVE the color and the shape!!!!!
Ditto.

I see either a window or a ''bow tie''.

The colour is lovely, but a recut would likely improve the performance.

LS

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2008 12:52:57 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Looks lovely, especially the pic that looks true to life!

Quick question, though - does it have a small window in it? In the hand shots, it looks like I can see through it a bit - could just be me.

YOu and Catmom are right! (Good eyes!) There is a small window.... but I won''t say too much more until others weigh in...

I will say that I do like the color and absolutely love the shape of it.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you can see the slight window in this pic. It is sitting inside the gemstone box it came in.

DSCF5286.JPG

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 1:21:56 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
you can see the slight window in this pic. It is sitting inside the gemstone box it came in.

Try this: If you put it on a piece of newsprint, are the letters blurred or clear?

Blurred = no window
Clear = window

LS

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also love the color and the cut. I would love to see it re-cut by Richard Homer as well. It would be so sparkly.

Linda

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the specs: 8.9mm x 7.1 mm x 4.6 mm, 2.47ct ceylon sapphire from Sri Lanka (unheated)....... I worry that a recut would make it smaller than I would like. Richard Homer was suggested on another forum ...so great minds think alike! Does anyone know off hand how much smaller a recut would make this stone??? Thanks in advance. I really appreciate everyone''s input.
21.gif

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
If you do a PS search for Richard Homer recut I know there are several posts having to do with this. Also, lots of time (but not always) the recut doesn''t affect the dimensions of the top of the stone, just the carat weight.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 1:55:27 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
Based on the specs: 8.9mm x 7.1 mm x 4.6 mm, 2.47ct ceylon sapphire from Sri Lanka (unheated)....... I worry that a recut would make it smaller than I would like. Richard Homer was suggested on another forum ...so great minds think alike! Does anyone know off hand how much smaller a recut would make this stone??? Thanks in advance. I really appreciate everyone''s input.
21.gif

I don''t know if this helps:

My sapphire (see avatar) arrived to Jeff White as a native cut round, somewhere around 2.75ct.

After his recut, it is now 2.06 ct. .

LS

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I liked the stone at first glance because of the color...but there are problems with the cut...off center culet when looking into the center of stone and also viewed from the side shows a lope sided-ness...also i dont think it has a pleasing shape after first glance.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah the cut is a bit wonky, but the color is stunning. I''d get it recut.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for your input everyone! Before I think of doing the "recutting route", I am also considering a Micheal E stone that I have drooled at for a long time. He actually did not cut the stone himself because he thought that the stone was just so beautifully cut as it is. He is sending me the stone out today and should get it in a few days. He also informed me that if I had my heart set on a cushion cut, he may possibly be able to recut it as well. Another idea he mentioned was to set it with a bezel that makes it appear to look like a cushion (it is an oval) or use double prongs on the corners in a manner that will give it the illusion of being a cushion!
36.gif
Here is a pic of the stone. It is 3.07 cts medium blue. It is approx. 9 8mm.... (I think!)
3.gif

BlueSapphireOval307.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
a few more pics...

3ct Sapphire Side.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif

3ct Sapphire1.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif

3ct Sapphire3.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone is for my 20th Anniversary project. I am starting out with just the stone this year and next year I will commission to have the setting done either by Micheal E or Leon Mege. Here is some setting options I am thinking of ....
I think I got this pic from this forum. I hope they don''t mind that I use it. Just gorgeous!!!

half moon oval.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon Mege ring........ with tapered bullets.... DROOL!
18.gif

Leon bullets.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t remember who owns this ring... so I hope they don''t mind if I use there pic. It really is the greatest compliment though!...
31.gif

oval Leon.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results