shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please! Are these stones super ideal cuts?

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock
Hi there! First time poster here and I desperately could use some help please!

I’ve dreamed of diamond stud earrings for about 35 years and am finally getting a pair! Since this is a one time BIG purchase for us, of course I want the great quality and biggest for the money.

See, I have larger than normal sized ears and ear lobes and something like a 1ctw set look small on me. I’ve tried on various sizes and the size I like best in my ears are 2.2-2.4 ctw.

I want as light and bright as I can get, clean stones. I’ve looked at F-J and SI1-VVS1s at multiple jewelers and diamond brokers locally and I was shocked at how many only rely on the grading on the certificates!

I’m a fan of JannPaul’s you tube videos from Singapore and am trying to learn how to use an ASET Scope and Ideal Scope. Thanks to these tools, I avoided buying a stone that had a teeny chip in it, and avoided lots of stones with a lot of light leakage.

we are clueless about diamonds and my initial budget was $8k-$9k I'm willing to go $12k and could go higher but need to be reassured that I’m buying excellent stones for the money.

I went to a local retailer today and tried on this pair (already set in earrings) and I think it’s a good price for the money but just don’t know for certain.

One retailer quoted me:
1.8 Ctw
Around 6.19mm each
VVS2
G
Super Ideal Cuts (Hearts and arrows)
Certified stones either GIA or AGS
$13,800

One I went to see today:
1.29 ct
1.31ct
G
SI1 but honestly the inclusions were SO tiny and slight. I looked through a 20x lens and could barely see them. I honestly think it should have been graded at higher clarity.

I’m stuck on not knowing if these are cut at optimum light Perfornance for brilliance and scintillation. It wasn’t perfect under the ideal or aset scopes but I’d say 80%+ great??? Could someone please look at the measurements and give me your thoughts please? I realize the papers show that they excellent cut but I’ve seen lots of stones with excellent cuts and had LOTS of light leakage with gaping black holes or were flat looking.

I don’t know if I should get excellent stones with JannPaul or Brian Gavin and pay more if I want 1.1-1.2ct in each ear?? Buy .9s in each ear and see if the size grows on me (both JP and BG have an upgrade policy) or if this set I tried on today are a great buy and if I should grab them? I have until Monday at 10:30am CST to decide or they go back to the whole seller. I was wearing large London blue topaz studs and wanted to compare them I’m sorry I didn’t take great pictures B149D178-1377-4707-BF92-6F02A93C979F.jpeg . DA10E2D2-9799-4FCB-AF1B-E22BC5DD7153.jpeg 1A353311-0462-49A3-A770-6B3D5E65A277.jpeg B344522C-B5FB-44ED-8923-04B162F96696.jpeg BD9C3688-8FB3-4415-A59C-D7AA552818BF.jpeg AA7D126C-D9D6-4F17-BF69-2608F4CDAD56.jpeg 4EE7F2F8-4146-4604-9E68-C0515E1D7F5B.png D782930A-2729-477F-9AC3-D8EB2F9072C2.jpeg

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Proportions on each individually are nice, but I don’t love them as a match.

They are most assuredly not “superideal” in the PS sense - precision-cutting isn’t a lucky find, it’s a deliberated choice, requested of a manufacturer by a vendor, that the vendor pays a premium for.

You can have beautiful diamonds that aren’t precision-cut to a “superideal” standard, which is usually a measure of optical symmetry (optical symmetry is what creates those hearts and arrows patterns). This may well be the case for these stones - the report doesn’t tell us enough to judge and the photos aren’t helpful I’m afraid; we need better photos to tell you anything more.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock

They are most assuredly not “superideal” in the PS sense - precision-cutting isn’t a lucky find, it’s a deliberated choice, requested of a manufacturer by a vendor, that the vendor pays a premium for.

You can have beautiful diamonds that aren’t precision-cut to a “superideal” standard, which is usually a measure of optical symmetry (optical symmetry is what creates those hearts and arrows patterns). This may well be the case for these stones - the report doesn’t tell us enough to judge and the photos aren’t helpful I’m afraid; we need better photos to tell you anything more.

Thank you so very much!! I didn’t realize that it wasn’t based on finding a lucky match. That makes sense because of technology, the science and math behind the technique. Thank you! If I can get better photos Monday morning I’ll post to see if anyone can respond and if not, as there isn’t a shortage of them, I’ll continue to learn and keep looking.
I take it that for the info you have, they aren’t a fair price point?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super Ideal .9s (1.8 ctw) Gs will fit in your $12k budget. They will be more like 6.25ish mm. AGS000 H&A with easy trade-up policy (to go bigger
some day!)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so very much!! I didn’t realize that it wasn’t based on finding a lucky match. That makes sense because of technology, the science and math behind the technique. Thank you! If I can get better photos Monday morning I’ll post to see if anyone can respond and if not, as there isn’t a shortage of them, I’ll continue to learn and keep looking.
I take it that for the info you have, they aren’t a fair price point?

What was the asking price for the G SI1 pair?

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @yissie. Those stones look nice on paper and in person individually but I’d want the Pavillion angle to be the same for a pair. They have a very different look.

As @tyty333 said you could spend some now and spend some more later by working with a company that has an excellent upgrade program. That way you’re only compromising on size for now and you‘ll have a future upgrade to look forward to.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both look nice, but I would never pay the premium for VVS for earrings. I'd try to find eye clean SI's and save some cash. :)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @yissie. Those stones look nice on paper and in person individually but I’d want the Pavillion angle to be the same for a pair. They have a very different look.

As @tyty333 said you could spend some now and spend some more later by working with a company that has an excellent upgrade program. That way you’re only compromising on size for now and you‘ll have a future upgrade to look forward to.
Pavilion angle?? Did you mean table size?

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Pavilion angle?? Did you mean table size?

No, I meant PA. I don’t think 1% difference in table or .5 % difference in CA would be noticeable but I think that much PA difference can change the flavor in a way that would bother me.

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
No, I meant PA. I don’t think 1% difference in table or .5 % difference in CA is would be noticeable but I think that much PA difference can change the flavor in a way that bothers me.

Thank you for your reply.
The points emphasized in the GIA Diamonds and Diamond Grading course made a huge emphasis on table size and mm size to be mindful of when matching stones. I had not thought about PA.
I feel that, as example, a 55 table has a different flavor from say a 60-point-something (fill in) table. Of course, with GIA there’s the whole rounding limitation vs specificity of AGS reports.
My new ACA studs are arriving tomorrow and they are table 55.6, 40.7 PA, 6.19x6.23mm and table 55.8, 40.7 PA, 6.19x6.22mm. I had not realized they had the same PA until you brought this to mind for me... I had been concentrating on making a match for table and mm size so it’s funny it worked out that way.
While I don’t anticipate the need to match stones again anytime soon (it took me about 9 days literally round the clock to go through WF’s entire inventory in my desired specs to pair up potential matches and then narrow down to the “winner”), I will definitely make a mental note for this.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply.
The points emphasized in the GIA Diamonds and Diamond Grading course made a huge emphasis on table size and mm size to be mindful of when matching stones. I had not thought about PA.
I feel that, as example, a 55 table has a different flavor from say a 60-point-something (fill in) table. Of course, with GIA there’s the whole rounding limitation vs specificity of AGS reports.
My new ACA studs are arriving tomorrow and they are table 55.6, 40.7 PA, 6.19x6.23mm and table 55.8, 40.7 PA, 6.19x6.22mm. I had not realized they had the same PA until you brought this to mind for me... I had been concentrating on making a match for table and mm size so it’s funny it worked out that way.
While I don’t anticipate the need to match stones again anytime soon (it took me about 9 days literally round the clock to go through WF’s entire inventory in my desired specs to pair up potential matches and then narrow down to the “winner”), I will definitely make a mental note for this.

Not to derail the thread but you must be excited! I know it’s a bit grueling to find pairs and the more discerning you are the more grueling it becomes.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Not to derail the thread but you must be excited! I know it’s a bit grueling to find pairs and the more discerning you are the more grueling it becomes.

YES! Thank you! I will make separate thread.

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock
What was the asking price for the G SI1 pair?

They were asking $13,500 but had the 10yr old copy of the certifications, I had to buy them with no return policy if I wanted them certified...I passed based on not being educated enough about non certified / old cert diamonds.

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much for this. I passed based on the papers not being current
, them not exactly matching for the price and me not knowing enough about non certified diamonds at this price point. So I’m still looking. Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results