shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking diamond kay-

FYI BriteCo does not cover setting stones when I inquired about it early this year. Jewelers Mutual does cover setting stones.

Peruse Stuller.com. Search their products > engagement rings.

Here looking at oval! Posting pictures and videos’ now!

Top 2.2 I color
Bottom 2.5 j color IMG_2158.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2159.jpeg
    IMG_2159.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 8
Also please don’t mind the nails I had no idea we would end up coming today

2.5 j on left 2.2 I on right IMG_2145.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpeg
    IMG_2143.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2144.jpeg
    IMG_2144.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2135.jpeg
    IMG_2135.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 38
Top 2.2 I color
Bottom 2.5 j color

IMG_2155.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2154.jpeg
    IMG_2154.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 12

Both look lovely on your hand, ovals really suit you. I liked the 2.5 best. I saw more fire and sparkle in the 2.5. I also prefer the wider shape, and it looks noticeably bigger to me as well.

Either way I think you'll have a beautiful diamond and so happy for you that it's working out! Soon this rough patch will be behind you and you'll finally get to enjoy showing off your new beautiful sparkly rock!!

I love the shape and size of 2.5 but in the store lighting it looked a little yellow and in these pictures very yellow?

IMG_2131.jpegIMG_2161.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2163.jpeg
    IMG_2163.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2127.jpeg
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 13
Hmmm I see what you mean in the additional photos with the paper underneath. The store lighting seems to be picking up some body color, but doesn't look terrible or very yellow to me. I didn't see any of that in the other photos or video except the photos on the blue paper. Was it just the store light that brought it out? I thought both stones colors looked very much the same in your other pics and the video. Just on the blueish paper did I detect a bit of color in both diamonds, and a slight bit more in the 2.5. But I thought probably bc the color of the paper looks blueish it was pulling body color out of the diamonds. IMO it's not terrible, but I'm not overly color sensitive. I'm more sensitive to clarity, or shape, and I have to have good fire.

Perhaps it boils down to what are you most sensitive to? Is it color? I'd rather have the best fire and sparkle plus the shape I'd prefer. Also, you should be able to downplay color and enhance the whiteness of a stone depending on the metal color in your setting.

But, if you are seeing more color than you're comfortable with, you won't unsee it later. Trust your gut, if it's telling you there's too much color, don't argue with yourself.

Again I think both are lovely and it's wonderful your struggle is choice between two beautiful diamonds!!

ETA just thought, if it's just the Kay's lights that show color, that's probably not the lighting you'll be viewing your stone under most of the time. Matters more whether it looks good to you in the lighting you'll see it most in.

Also, could that white paper right under your hand in the photo be enhancing the yellow of the stone? Putting diamonds on white paper is one way to pull the color out.

Last edited:
Hmmm I see what you mean in the additional photos with the paper underneath. The store lighting seems to be picking up some body color, but doesn't look terrible or very yellow to me. I didn't see any of that in the other photos or video except the photos on the blue paper. Was it just the store light that brought it out? I thought both stones colors looked very much the same in your other pics and the video. Just on the blueish paper did I detect a bit of color in both diamonds, and a slight bit more in the 2.5. But I thought probably bc the color of the paper looks blueish it was pulling body color out of the diamonds. IMO it's not terrible, but I'm not overly color sensitive. I'm more sensitive to clarity, or shape, and I have to have good fire.

Perhaps it boils down to what are you most sensitive to? Is it color? I'd rather have the best fire and sparkle plus the shape I'd prefer. Also, you should be able to downplay color and enhance the whiteness of a stone depending on the metal color in your setting.

But, if you are seeing more color than you're comfortable with, you won't unsee it later. Trust your gut, if it's telling you there's too much color, don't argue with yourself.

Again I think both are lovely and it's wonderful your struggle is choice between two beautiful diamonds!!

ETA just thought, if it's just the Kay's lights that show color, that's probably not the lighting you'll be viewing your stone under most of the time. Matters more whether it looks good to you in the lighting you'll see it most in.

Also, could that white paper right under your hand in the photo be enhancing the yellow of the stone? Putting diamonds on white paper is one way to pull the color out.

Would they let you look at both in natural light? I am guessing they wouldn't, since it's in a mall? Worth asking, though...that way you can try to say how they look in the real world.

No the most was right outside the store inside the mall since there’s windows on the ceiling

Would they let you look at both in natural light? I am guessing they wouldn't, since it's in a mall? Worth asking, though...that way you can try to say how they look in the real world.

I prefer the 2.2 I. To my eyes, that one is a little bit livelier, and a lot whiter which makes it "pop" against your skin tone more.

Go with your gut. Which one gives you butterflies?

ps: nice VCA bracelet!

They are both very nice stones! I am leaning to the 2.2. It is visibly less tinted, and in an oval I feel like this matters. And I think the faceting is a little bit more pleasing to me. I like the shape too, it’s unusual.

Did you fall in love with one?

HI:

In post #244 they look very similar in color--but that likely is a function of the photography as the videos don't show as much body color.

Any leanings?

cheers--Sharon

They're both pretty! I like the size of the 2.5 but I do think the 2.2 looks a little livelier, and I like the shape of it. I'm also leaning towards the 2.2 because you seem a little concerned about the color the of the 2.5

i LOVE the size of the 2.5 and round ends to me there’s a difference in size even though it’s only 3% more . However the 2.2 I love the color and clarity‍♀ everyone else that didn’t know the color grade though it was a H one person said G color

Have you made a decision?

Also local jeweler said they have this

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpeg
    IMG_1020.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0800.jpeg
    IMG_0800.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 23
Thoughts @Dreamer_D ? Is it safe for the goldsmith to “make” claw edges?

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 10
HI:

I like the shape of the 2.50 as well and isn't the carat weight enticing? But as MGR points out, once you've seen/perceived (unwanted) color you don't unsee it.

cheers--Sharon

Two beautiful choices!

Is the bowtie more visible in one versus the other?

Also, I just wanted to point out that the 2.2 ct has a 1.51 ratio (in the range that you originally wanted) and the 2.5 has a 1.43 ratio.

Let us know what you decide! Exciting that you could have a gorgeous diamond on your finger soon!

Two beautiful choices!

Is the bowtie more visible in one versus the other?

Also, I just wanted to point out that the 2.2 ct has a 1.51 ratio (in the range that you originally wanted) and the 2.5 has a 1.43 ratio.

Let us know what you decide! Exciting that you could have a gorgeous diamond on your finger soon!
That area I’m not very good at lol I don’t feel like either had one but maybe if I had to pick the 2.5 because it’s wider?
Yes the 2.5 is 1.46 ratio! It was a bit shorter but I did like that it is wider it made it look much bigger.

I have no idea! lol this is hardddddd but maybe the 2.2

Which did you like more?

I prefer the 2.2 I. To my eyes, that one is a little bit livelier, and a lot whiter which makes it "pop" against your skin tone more.

Go with your gut. Which one gives you butterflies?

ps: nice VCA bracelet!

Thank you!

That area I’m not very good at lol I don’t feel like either had one but maybe if I had to pick the 2.5 because it’s wider?
Yes the 2.5 is 1.46 ratio! It was a bit shorter but I did like that it is wider it made it look much bigger.

I have no idea! lol this is hardddddd but maybe the 2.2

Which did you like more?

Between these two I think you have to go with the 2.2 ct. As many have said, you have already noticed the tint of the 2.5 ct irl.

This one that is "fuller" like the 2.5 ct just popped up BUT it is a hair shorter than the J color and SI1 clarity (sorry <collective sigh>):lol-2:

IF you are not 100% on the 2.2 ct then return the 2.5 ct J and call in the 2.5 I color and make a final pick between the two I color stones.

ETA: I am serious. I will stop looking for ovals after this! Promise!

Last edited:
Thoughts @Dreamer_D ? Is it safe for the goldsmith to “make” claw edges?

It is very easy to shape prongs into claws for a skilled bench, that is not an issue.

The most important factor is to choose a local jeweler who has an excellent reputation and whose work you have seen and approve of the quality.

Between these two I think you have to go with the 2.2 ct. As many have said, you have already noticed the tint of the 2.5 ct irl.

This one that is "fuller" like the 2.5 ct just popped up BUT it is a hair shorter than the J color and SI1 clarity (sorry <collective sigh>):lol-2:

IF you are not 100% on the 2.2 ct then return the 2.5 ct J and call in the 2.5 I color and make a final pick between the two I color stones.

ETA: I am serious. I will stop looking for ovals after this! Promise!

Nooooo! :lol-2:

I think I think I think I’m leaning towards the 2.2 although next to the 2.5 I prefer the size and shape of the 2.5

The 2.2 looks better in color and clarity? It looks bigger then its 2.2 size and the color looks better then color grade. Does the 2.2 sparkle the same as 2.5 to you guys?

I have until Monday the manager which is the one taking care of our unique case comes back from vacation

The cut looks very similar in both, though I do think the 2.2 is a little better cut (less areas of mushy indistinct faceting) and it is less tinted. Win win.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP