shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bigchich

Rough_Rock
I''ve been researching diamonds quite a bit, but am afraid I might be missing something. Would love some reactions to this emerald cut diamond. Thanks!

Shape: Emerald
Carat weight: 1.05
Cut: Premium
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 69.1%
Table: 69.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thick to very thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.43*4.57*3.16
Ratio: 1.63

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 10:11:36 AM
Author:bigchich
I've been researching diamonds quite a bit, but am afraid I might be missing something. Would love some reactions to this emerald cut diamond. Thanks!

Carat weight: 1.05
Cut: Premium
Color: F
Clarity: VS2

Depth: 69.1%
Table: 69.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thick to very thick
Measurements: 7.43*4.57*3.16
Ratio: 1.63
Welcome!

Have you seen the diamond in person or is it with an online vendor? The table is around the same size as the depth, usually the table being less than the depth is preferred. The girdle could be improved on as thick to very thick can waste weight - but if you could provide detailed photos of the diamond and an ASET image if possible, that would be very helpful. Images of these shapes are crucial in order to be able to evaluate the cut quality.

bigchich

Rough_Rock
The diamond is from an online retailer, so I haven''t seen it. I''ve requested an image of the diamond and ASET image. Here''s the picture they have on the web.

em-dia.jpg

lp

Rough_Rock
I''m curious to why this emerald cut has pointed corners? Is that normal?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 10:30:28 AM
Author: bigchich
The diamond is from an online retailer, so I haven''t seen it. I''ve requested an image of the diamond and ASET image. Here''s the picture they have on the web.
Do you know if this is the actual diamond?

bigchich

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for you willingness to help a novice...

The retailer is James Allen, and according to the site it is the actual diamond, not a sample.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 12:13:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for you willingness to help a novice...

The retailer is James Allen, and according to the site it is the actual diamond, not a sample.
You are very welcome!

Personally I haven''t seen many examples of an EC with these sharp edges, it looks similar to a baguette. Is this the type you are looking for or would you prefer the more classic EC?

bigchich

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for a more classical look. I''m probably showing how much of a novice I am, considering the sharp edges didn''t register as being abnormal.

I''m looking for an emerald cut, 1-1.1 carrats, F color or better, VS2 clarity or better, very good cut (or premium, as james allen calls it), and am hoping to spend 4k or so. I comprehend the 4 c''s better than many of the other important characteristics, but I''ve been trying to check those for "normal" levels as well.

Here is another one that caught my eye:

Carat weight: 1.03
Cut: Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: VVS1

Depth: 69.5%
Table: 66.0%
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick
Measurements: 6.63*4.79*3.33
Ratio: 1.38

em-dia2.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 2:44:06 PM
I'm looking for a more classical look. I'm probably showing how much of a novice I am, considering the sharp edges didn't register as being abnormal.

I'm looking for an emerald cut, 1-1.1 carrats, F color or better, VS2 clarity or better, very good cut (or premium, as james allen calls it), and am hoping to spend 4k or so. I comprehend the 4 c's better than many of the other important characteristics, but I've been trying to check those for 'normal' levels as well.

Here is another one that caught my eye:

No worries! Firstly, don't go by labels such as Ideal Cut, Premium cut etc which are used by vendors, they don't guarantee you a well cut diamond.

What I would do with the second diamond you posted, ask JA for an Idealscope image, they should be able to provide one in a couple of days or so. I would also ask for some more photographs of the diamond at closer range and positioned as straight as possible, so we can see the faceting more clearly.

bigchich

Rough_Rock

I finally received the idealscope image from James Allen. Frankly I''m not sure what I''m looking at here, though the JA rep assured me the diamond is eye clean and "this diamond has optimal light return for a fancy shape, with little to no light leakage present."

Here are the specs again:

Thoughts?

idesc123.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the image looks fine for an EC, did they provide any more photographs of the diamond?

bigchich

Rough_Rock
They said the magnified image is as close as they can get to the diamond, so they did not provide any additional pics.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 7:54:39 AM
They said the magnified image is as close as they can get to the diamond, so they did not provide any additional pics.
Ok no problem. I would just like storm to take a look at the image, he has a special interest in EC''s, he should log in soon.

bigchich

Rough_Rock
Should I be worried that the polish and symmetry are rated as "good"? Also, does $4,100 or so seem reasonable for this diamond?

bigchich

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 7:56:35 AM
Author: Lorelei

Ok no problem. I would just like storm to take a look at the image, he has a special interest in EC''s, he should log in soon.
Do you know how to get in touch with Storm?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 3:43:47 PM

Date: 2/18/2009 7:56:35 AM
Author: Lorelei

Do you know how to get in touch with Storm?
He should be along shortly, he is online and with a bit of luck should see this....

STORM!!! Need you pal please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results