Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Graphics - #89, #88, #61

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
I couldn't find exactly what I am thinking of... but here are a few invites that have say fun party wedding to me.

http://www.exclusivelyweddings.com/Wedd ... nvitations This one has 'wedding' touch, a bow, but done in black and abstracted out to a design. Love it. Magenta envelope liner.

http://www.minted.com/customizer/sku/WIL-KEL-INV Do the Monogram at the top in Magenta.
http://www.pinkpaperink.com/index.php/w ... black.html

http://www.pinkpaperink.com/index.php/w ... black.html FABULOUS grown up bird. I love this invite! And you can get it in Magenta instead of Gray, or any other color.

Anyway, these were just to illustrate what I think your venue conveys when it comes to "feel"... if I received one of these invites and I walked into your venue, I'd think them a good match. But if I received one of those logos on some paper and walked into your venue I'd be like... What the heck???

And yeah, I hate hello kitty too. But, as harsh as it was, it needed to be said.

SORRY bird link is wrong above, and if I edit PS 2.0 will truncate the rest of the links. HERE is the Bird invite. http://www.papeteriestore.com/item.php? ... gory_id=64

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ignore me. I'm board. And thinking about someone else's wedding is fun, not stressful. And since I have all the wedding planning knowledge rattling around in my head... might as well vomit it all up at you.

I ADORE these... perfect with magenta instead of green. Just the right for your venue, IMO. http://www.paisleyquill.com/images/kelley_lrg.jpg

http://photos.weddingbycolor.com/p/000/ ... 167663.jpg Glamour. And party friendly, no long veil to worry about it.

CHeck this site out... if you don't care for flowers... try this. http://www.emplume.com/gallery.html

CHeck out the cool vase gems. You could totally skip flowers. And do magenta vase gems in tall vases and then have ortrich feathers coming out the top. http://inthedetailsblog.com/wp-content/ ... rpiece.jpg Ostrich Feather centerpieces: http://www.candlesbyconnie.com/images/S ... 487123.jpg or

I ADORE THIS CAKE. Change it to black and white or black and white with magenta flowers. It's gorgeous. http://media.onsugar.com/files/2010/06/ ... -cakes.jpg

http://www.weddingcakesbyann.co.uk/images/2.png

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbvi ... g-cake.jpg Fits your colors perfectly. And it's fun and glamorous.

http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Obj ... _image.jpg Not my thing, but hey it does say, "Party" and "Fun"

Okay I'm done. If it were me I'd look for dresses that look like red carpet oscar dresses but in white and TOTALLY bling it out with fun earrings and a great hair do with a fun hair piece. And blingy magenta shoes. And probably, if it were me.... a feather boa.

You really could do a LOT with feathers in that space now that I think about it. The centerpieces, the bouquet, your hair piece. Birds with feathers on the invites. Kinda of a theme. And make it all super glam with magenta and bling.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last post I promise. EyeElle's thread has a mermaid gown in it with ruffles at the bottom. The ruffles are kind of feathery and the dress itself is TOTALLY glamorous and stunning and has an amazing neckline. This is the kind of dress I could see if you liked the other ideas above. bride-world-wide-grooms-grooves/first-2-dresses-t148024.html It's the Mikaela (which means it's affordable too!).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the very last one where your names are the petals - the bird ones are adorable but IMO just too cute and a tad immature for a wedding. All of them are youthful, but I really like the last one - it's stylish, fun, fresh, and still very cute :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy - I think you completely get me and what I am envisioning for my wedding! I have saved all the photos for my records.

Dress - I am still searching for the dress but read here (bride-world-wide-grooms-grooves/recommend-some-gowns-t145543.html).

Flowers - Like you said, my plan was to go without flowers as decor for the venue and stick with boas or branches or something. Initially, we were going to have the guests build out own center pieces but scrapped that idea because it just isn't going to work. I think I will likely to stick to flowers for the bouqets etc. Maybe I will do those ball ones.

Cakes - Those are amazing cakes. I haven't even thought about it but time to start thinking that through.

Logo - I still need to pick a winner for the contest but I don't think we will be using any of them.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy said:
Ignore me. I'm board. And thinking about someone else's wedding is fun, not stressful. And since I have all the wedding planning knowledge rattling around in my head... might as well vomit it all up at you.

I ADORE these... perfect with magenta instead of green. Just the right for your venue, IMO. http://www.paisleyquill.com/images/kelley_lrg.jpg

I ADORE THIS CAKE. Change it to black and white or black and white with magenta flowers. It's gorgeous. http://media.onsugar.com/files/2010/06/ ... -cakes.jpg

HAHA Gypsy!
Charmie, I am not really a fan of the logos for a wedding. I think 118 would be an great STD and I do really think 135 is sexy? for lack of a better word... but maybe blow that one up really big and use it as a poster for guests to sign at your reception? Or put it on Thank You notes?

But the advice Gypsy gave you is amazing! I love the pasileyquill invitation and the cake with the chocolate roses. Very "great gatsby" chic and VERY old hollywood glamour.
If you find that sort of a theme to be "you", I say you should run with that as a base idea and build from there.

I had a huge problem deciding what type of a wedding I wanted.. which people find funny considering I'm in interior design... so it "should" be easy for me.
At first, I really thought I wanted a "modern" wedding with clean lines, colorful, graphic invitations and streamlined bridesmaid dresses in bold colors. But after sifting through piles and piles of "inspiration pics", and meeting with our florist and just going through books of fabrics at my studio, I realized that a "modern" wedding wouldn't be "me" (or fiance) at all. If I were to frame the graphic invitation and put it on a wall in our apartment, or have a modern wedding album on our cocktail table, it would look strangely out of place and feel like it came from "someone else’s" wedding. I love the look... but it just isn't "us".
We've now switched gears towards a more romantic feel.. lots of great texture and colors in the flowers.. soft, flowing bridesmaid dresses, and a bold color with muted accents... and it's crazy how much calmer I am with this whole planning thing. And it really feels like "our wedding".

So basically, my advice to you is really take a look at what you gravitate towards in your everyday life... what kind of artwork are you drawn to? What colors dominate your wardrobe? If you could only choose one type of flower to plant around your house for the next 5 years, what would it be?

And go from there. But I am LOVING the old hollywood glamour feel!

Good luck! :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I planned multiple weddings for myself over six years. And went through with one. All with the same (sainted) groom. I spent YEARS on theknot and on here. So... like I said, TON of stuff rattling around in my cluttered head. But thank you both.

I love the space you have Charmy, it's got such personality and style. I think that's where you need to start. You and FI picked that space because it calls to you, so use it to help guide you when you make decisions. Just keep things consistent and you'll be fine.

A couple months before my wedding the son of one of my mother's friends got married. It was a nice enough wedding, and VERY VERY expensive. But... it was so sterotypically bridal. Like painting by the numbers. Someone told the bride she had to have X, Y, Z and so she did it all. The overall impression was of a very expensive high class wedding-- but ANYONE could have been getting married. It was very stepford. Visual perfection but no heart.

The best weddings I've seen or been too have (obviously) had some common elements, but the couple strongly OWNED the event. There were things that were unique to them. And not monograms or logos. Things that really MEANT something to them.

My mother HATED my table numbers, but they were black and white printouts of my cats (home made and I am NOT a DIYer) with the table numbers imposed on the photo. I loved them and have them still. Seeing them flopping around in the pics makes me smile. I had a memory table with our relatives that had passed away. And since I adore flowers and used to work as a florist my wedding flowers were LARGE AND IN CHARGE. I skipped menus and programs (didn't care for them) and bought parasols and fans (not as favors but for guests comfort with the outdoor ceremony). Why? Because for ME, the programs were a waste of paper and money, but my guests physcial comfort was important to me. I negotiated plastic water bottles put out in lovely buckets so people wouldn't dehydrate in case it got really hot (it didn't, but it REALLY could have).

The point is... those aren't things that I read about in a wedding book, those are things that were my personal hand in the wedding. That reflected my priorities and my tastes. We had a RIDICULOUS bar tab because my husband feel very strongly about what being a good host means, and to him it meant A) we were going to provide alcohol and B) if we did, there shouldn't be any limit on it. And our vows. We personalized our vows and boy... everyone was sobbing (including me) and to this day (nearly two years after the wedding) everyone who attends another wedding and talks to me about it says, "It was a lovely ceremony-- not as wonderful as yours-- but ...."

It means a lot to me that our wedding shared a part of ourselves with our guests. And that I know that if another couple had been subbed in to my wedding-- it wouldn't have been right. It was personalized to the point that it was ours and only ours. Which is what made it the perfect day... FOR US.

And that's what I want for all of our PS brides. But that means, IMO, that either you have to have your planner really KNOW you, or you have to be the decision maker and know what your priorities are so that the wedding doesn't veer off into hello kitty (because strangers designed your logo who have never met you) or into stepford land (soulless).

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have made no progress on the wedding planning. My wedding planner sucks but she is paid in full - I wrote her an email and she is trying to make it work. End of the day .. she just isnt what I need but I am going to stick with her and give her a chance. She has a successful business but I am too much of a perfectionist.

Anyways, when I started looking for a venue - I wanted something romantic and beautiful with a water view. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of these in Toronto other than golf courses. Then I thought of the Science Center which holds a special meaning for my fiance and I. He was like .. what Science Center... no way. We went in and he knew right away that it was it .. it also felt right to me. The room was modern yet elegant .. then there are the fun spaces which really reflect our geeky playful personalities.

I can't believe it but we are at 12 months to go now! We really didn't accomplish anything at all in the past year!

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
I voted for number 107, I think. Option 4. They look sweet and simple.

I don't care for option 2 though. Something about the girl bird... she looks like a bit of a hussy :cheeky:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What your post says to me is that you are going to have to spend some time with your planner. Plan a lunch, bring her over to your place show her what matters to you, show her who you are. It's a bit like making a new friend... you both go shopping and hit the purse section and you reach for the same bag, or you reach for two completely different bags... both are fine, as long as the recognition is there of the other person's taste. My friends know that I have a very weird affinity toward virulent shades of green in clothing that I MUST avoid (no matter how much I swear that THIS one does look okay with my coloring) and that if it's got paisley on it, I want it, and you CAN NOT trust my judgment. Those are the things that your planner needs to know about you. What do you love, what do you hate, who are you... and when does she need to step in and say, "No Gypsy, I know it's PUKE GREEN AND PAISLEY but you CANNOT buy that moo-moo." Ya know?

Maybe if you spend some time with her she'll be better able to help you. And you need to tell her that you want the wedding personal, and not just... pretty. You have 12 months. Plenty of time to get to know each other. And each time she suggests something, don't just say NO or YES, but explain WHY something is a no or a yes. "Too fussy," or "Too Sterile" or "I just don't like lace"... you aren't being overly picky or like Goldilocks... or if you are, as long as you keep a good sense of humor about you and a patient attitude and help out instead of just sitting and waiting for someone to pull it out of your head... then it's OKAY to be a perfectionist. Realizing of course that on the day of... you just have to let go. My dress zipper BROKE and I had to be sewn into my dress half way through the reception, the cake stand was not the one I ordered, and the DJ... well, I should have just gone for my Ipod and had someone help with it. But none of it mattered. I grin now when I see the stupid cake stand that's all frilly when I wanted just a plain one, and think... mmmm, that was some good cake.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My problem with my planner is bigger than that! She doesn't do anything at all and forgets half the stuff I tell her.

She also says wedding planners don't do budgeting and budget tracking. How strange .. everyone else I talk to does.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charmy, then get a refund. You can always take her to small claims court if she objects-- you can claim she's not doing the job she was hired for. As for budget tracking, yeah that seems pretty basic. Don't work with someone that you are that unhappy with.

Tigarlily1

Rough_Rock
I like the dog and cat one. Its cute but not too cutesy...IMO. I picked #175

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
Charmy, then get a refund. You can always take her to small claims court if she objects-- you can claim she's not doing the job she was hired for. As for budget tracking, yeah that seems pretty basic. Don't work with someone that you are that unhappy with.
I think you should get out of that professional relationship, Charmy, while you still can. Forget the sunk cost. Your planner is so important. You've got 12 months to go -- plenty of time to find another planner who is up to your standards.

I'm speaking from experience. My planner for my destination wedding in Italy is an absolute disaster and she's made much of planning a really negative experience. Like yours, she was notoriously bad at getting back to me and I have always been more on top of things than she has. Plus, she has a set way of doing weddings and really doesn't like venturing from it. FI and I like unconventional things, so that has not been a good combination. I thought she'd eventually come around, but it's only gotten worse over time. I still love my venue, but I'll have to try hard on wedding day to banish the negativity I feel towards my planner. I'd hate for you to feel the same.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results