carat
color
clarity

Help me with my limited budget

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2890.jpg

Did you mean if you went with the HPD you quoted in that post or the BN you found which is quoted here? I thought you were asking about the HPD so that is why I told you about contacting Melissa and looking at Stuller settings

Last edited:

redhorse

Rough_Rock
No one is saying buy a trash diamond. What msop is saying, and me as well, is that buying a branded cut will take up a lot of your budget. At the size your buying, that’s size you’re going to loose by spending money on “brand” will make a more visible difference in that diamond than the negligible difference you’ll get between getting an ideal cut diamond that isn’t branded.
An ideal cut diamond is not dull. It’s very sparkly, and larger, and less expensive. That’s the point.
exactly. this is what i want t do.

I think paying for a name brand is a waste - whereas what you seem to want is good size, a nice clean diamond, good color, and lovely cut specs. I would STRONGLY recommend BN for this - or even James Allen or IDJewelry in NYC.

Good luck!
i will check those too. thank you and you nailed it right on the head. i am not paying for a name, i would rther put the money towards a no name diamond and as you said " good size, a nice clean diamond, good color, and lovely cut specs."

No need for Super Duper when you can have Super Amazing and still be way way way better than what malls have to offer.
will do thank you.

redhorse

Rough_Rock
let us say i've narrowed down to these, i would really prefer soemthing where the inclusion can't be seen by the naked eye.
these are from bluenile
LD09384858
LD09396952
LD09341566

which of these is my best option?

thanks again guys. really appreciate all the help.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I'd go with James Allen over Blue Nile, I just can't get over BN's images/video... also, JA will at least provide an IS image whereas BN won't. They have the same upgrade policy.

Edit: just took a quick look at JA and it doesn't look like there is much at 1 carat in your price range so perhaps BN would be better in this scenario.. JA has a couple under the 1 carat mark but I've gathered that at least 1 carat is necessary, correct?

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
let us say i've narrowed down to these, i would really prefer soemthing where the inclusion can't be seen by the naked eye.
these are from bluenile
LD09384858
LD09396952
LD09341566

which of these is my best option?

thanks again guys. really appreciate all the help.

I don’t like one ending in. 858
I love the one ending in 952
I would choose the one ending in 566 if it’s 4k MAX and you want to get a nice setting to match.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What setting were you thinking?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call or chat with them tomorrow and see if they can tell if any of them are eye clean and if the gemologist can look at them and give a preference. (Some companies will do this).

Last edited:

redhorse

Rough_Rock
What setting were you thinking?
solitaire platinum or pave platinum. however i am open to recommendations as well.
Call or chat with them tomorrow and see if they can tell if any of them are eye clean and if the gemologist can look at them and give a preference. (Some companies will do this).
will do. thank you for this.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pave will blow out your budget, but you might be able to do it if you went down on diamond size.

You can put the diamond mms in diamond database (google) to compare sizes on a finger.

I'm curious why you landed on one carat.... and I'm very slightly "worried" about J color because some people are "tint sensitive", though a J should mostly face up white but might be slightly tinted from the side, etc..

If you haven't seen her buy or wear jewelry in 6 years, it is possible that she could find a 1 carat on the large size.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3843.PNG

That stone isn't a good choice... just wanted to show you how you could do a pave setting if you went down on stone size.

redhorse

Rough_Rock
Pave will blow out your budget, but you might be able to do it if you went down on diamond size.

You can put the diamond mms in diamond database (google) to compare sizes on a finger.

I'm curious why you landed on one carat.... and I'm very slightly "worried" about J color because some people are "tint sensitive", though a J should mostly face up white but might be slightly tinted from the side, etc..

If you haven't seen her buy or wear jewelry in 6 years, it is possible that she could find a 1 carat on the large size.
i always thought you buy 1 carat. it seems like the standard operating procedure for a ring.
i have no clue. this is my first time buying a jewelry my whole life. never owned any jewelry at all and never really paid attention to it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i always thought you buy 1 carat. it seems like the standard operating procedure for a ring.
i have no clue. this is my first time buying a jewelry my whole life. never owned any jewelry at all and never really paid attention to it.

I believe, don't quote me, that 1/2 a carat is the most popular size diamond in the world.

I think you need to figure out what setting you want and work from there.

Anyway, goodnight. Time for me to sign off...

Edited, found this:
IMG_2901.PNG

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0.6ct is / was the average in the UK??

It's rare to see more than one 1ct solitaire in most High Street jewellers' windows!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok if you want platinum bags completely understandable, BUT, that will eat a little bit of your budget. I still suggest the Tiffany six prong setting they have, which runs 900 in platinum. I wouldn’t buy one with pave in it, that with plat will really cut into your budget a lot. And she can always buy a diamond wedding band to go with, and that’ll give a very similar look.

If we have to spend 900 on a setting I like this stone
LD09611990
6F845133-5A40-4DA9-A612-D05DC1AAAF35.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Op. Great progress!! I know it's a lot of information. So, to summarize, you want a non super ideal as close to 1 carat as possible and eyeclean. Gives James Allen setting sale for 48 more hours, I'd look there. To get the size you want, you are looking at a j. I would look at the JA petite flower or tulip soli setting. They are affordable and have a detailed 6 prong gallery that makes seeing color from the side harder. There were some JA stones around .8 in budget. If @valeria101 or others can look for some SI2 options from JA for you and see if you can get bigger without lowering color below J -- I would even be better.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a very good point another poster made up a few posts; if you get a plain band, then do a diamond wedding band, the look is VERY similar overall. I would go with a plain solitaire, then add a diamond wedding band. A lovely, classic look.

And I get it re wanting 1ct - it's the benchmark for a lot of girls. It doesn't really matter what people do in other countries; if in the country you live 1ct is normal, or is the picture in your girl's head when she thinks 'engagement ring', you want to get as close to that as you can.

That Blue Nile stone - 1.06 J SI1 ending 6952 is a very good stone and will, in my opinion, be slightly prettier than the other J SI1. But either way, you have 2 very nice stones there, and a plain platinum setting is the way to go.

I think she'll be very pleased. :) Congratulatioms!

ETA I see the third stone has sold. If that was to you, I would consider switching back to the second stone (the one ending in 6952). I think the difference would be noticeable, but minimal. Either way - great choice! And please let us know if it WAS you who chose the third stone on your list, and the direction you decided to go with a setting; members here spend so much time helping people choose stones and rings - it's a nice thank you to see where it all ends up.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Op. Great progress!! I know it's a lot of information. So, to summarize, you want a non super ideal as close to 1 carat as possible and eyeclean. Gives James Allen setting sale for 48 more hours, I'd look there. To get the size you want, you are looking at a j. I would look at the JA petite flower or tulip soli setting. They are affordable and have a detailed 6 prong gallery that makes seeing color from the side harder. There were some JA stones around .8 in budget. If @valeria101 or others can look for some SI2 options from JA for you and see if you can get bigger without lowering color below J -- I would even be better.

James Allen is having an attractive 25% off sale of the settings right now, but based on comments here lately, I would add a week to whatever timeframe they say a ring would be shipped by.... they get very overwhelmed during sales it seems.

An I color would be better, I agree.... if possible

I'm trying to stay off the JA site lest I break down and buy another band I don't need!!!

Last edited:

redhorse

Rough_Rock
Ok if you want platinum bags completely understandable, BUT, that will eat a little bit of your budget. I still suggest the Tiffany six prong setting they have, which runs 900 in platinum. I wouldn’t buy one with pave in it, that with plat will really cut into your budget a lot. And she can always buy a diamond wedding band to go with, and that’ll give a very similar look.

If we have to spend 900 on a setting I like this stone
LD09611990
6F845133-5A40-4DA9-A612-D05DC1AAAF35.png
OK, i kinda float the idea this morning about a ring.
I was saying my friend G. is getting a ring for so n so, he's looking at a 2 carat diamond in 14k white gold and she is said if she were buying a ring she would want it on a platinum setting. i knnew this, i overheard her about platinum preference than gold when she and a few friends were talking about jewelry.

can you please link me to the tiffany 6 prong you suggested?
no pave. understood. someday i can always get a wedding band with pave. i think i am just trying to hit everything at one shot and being unrealistic with my budget. i am sorry for being all over the place.

thank you for the suggestions and the help.

Op. Great progress!! I know it's a lot of information.
it is very overlwhelming. i thought i did some research on diamonds but evidently what i know is not even scratching the surface.

So, to summarize, you want a non super ideal as close to 1 carat as possible and eyeclean. Gives James Allen setting sale for 48 more hours, I'd look there. To get the size you want, you are looking at a j. I would look at the JA petite flower or tulip soli setting. They are affordable and have a detailed 6 prong gallery that makes seeing color from the side harder. There were some JA stones around .8 in budget. If @valeria101 or others can look for some SI2 options from JA for you and see if you can get bigger without lowering color below J -- I would even be better.
if i get the diamond from bluenile and the setting from jamesallen how am going to put it together? have bluenile ship to jamesallen or the other way around?
i went to 2 jewelers around here and they charge $400 for labor if i get the setting and stone somewhere else.

That's a very good point another poster made up a few posts; if you get a plain band, then do a diamond wedding band, the look is VERY similar overall. I would go with a plain solitaire, then add a diamond wedding band. A lovely, classic look.
yes, it looks that's the route i am taking.

the picture in your girl's head when she thinks 'engagement ring', you want to get as close to that as you can.
yes. i think i remembered her talking about it a couple of years back- sh wasnt telling me though, she was talking to her friends about 1carat and platinum.

That Blue Nile stone - 1.06 J SI1 ending 6952 is a very good stone and will, in my opinion, be slightly prettier than the other J SI1. But either way, you have 2 very nice stones there, and a plain platinum setting is the way to go.

I think she'll be very pleased. :) Congratulatioms!

ETA I see the third stone has sold. If that was to you, I would consider switching back to the second stone (the one ending in 6952). I think the difference would be noticeable, but minimal. Either way - great choice! And please let us know if it WAS you who chose the third stone on your list, and the direction you decided to go with a setting; members here spend so much time helping people choose stones and rings - it's a nice thank you to see where it all ends up.
yes i am very much leaning towards the 6952 and the latest one (LD09611990) that's recommended so i can get the platnium setting and stay within my budget.

No, i didnt take the 3rd stone. haven't pulled the trigger yet. i am not buying anything until i run it thru u guys and see what you all think.

James Allen is having an attractive 25% off sale of the settings right now, but based on comments here lately, I would add a week to whatever timeframe they say a ring would be shipped by.... they get very overwhelmed during sales it seems.

An I color would be better, I agree.... if possible

I'm trying to stay off the JA site lest I break down and buy another band I don't need!!!
thank you for that 25% would really help so i can put more money towards the diamond.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, great. Around 1 carat platinum solitaire. Perfect. Classic. Elegant. You really can't go wrong with that.

I don't think BN and JA will set each other's stones, and if they did it may be a bit late in the timeframe for that.... but I am sure someone will correct if this is untrue.

@valeria101 do you have time today to check JA as @rockysalamander suggested?

Aside from James Allen, pick the stone and setting already suggested from Blue Nile.

redhorse

Rough_Rock
thank you.
so this is my best option?
diamond = LD09611990
setting = petite nouveau six-prong solitaire
both from bluenile.

so this is it? i am going to pull the trigger tonight unless anyone objects or unless anyone has a better option.

and diameter of her ring finger is 14.7mm, that's less than a 4 but bigger than 3.5 so which one should i get?
she is looking to loose some weight, she's been doing yoga/pilates so i am kinda confuse what size to get.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$400 for a local jeweller to set an outside stone is an obscene amount of money for what is really a very simple task (for one who has the skills, of course) - they basically are building in a 'penalty charge' for not letting them get more profit out of you via a stone purchased from them :rolleyes:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you.
diamond = LD09611990
both from bluenile.

so this is it? i am going to pull the trigger tonight unless anyone objects or unless anyone has a better option.

and diameter of her ring finger is 14.7mm, that's less than a 4 but bigger than 3.5 so which one should i get?
she is looking to loose some weight, she's been doing yoga/pilates so i am kinda confuse what size to get.

I could be wrong, but try chatting with BN about whether they can make a 3.75. I know James Allen does this if you message them, not sure if BN does

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FA81F3B3-9ACB-4F58-A222-D6FA206924F3.png
Photo

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you.
diamond = LD09611990
both from bluenile.

Yes love this option.

Make sure to try and use the 100 referral discount.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results