shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with my limited budget

redhorse

Rough_Rock
Oh man I just really don’t like that ja setting.
Hate to throw a wrench in there.
do you like the diamond?
all you guys that had helped me and gave advice, do you agree on the diamond?
i can always buy the diamond and get a different setting- a setting where all of you guys who helped me can agree on.

deal?

redhorse

Rough_Rock
calling ja to put a hold on the diamond now

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the crown head. if you GF says the J is too yellow, would you be willing to return it?

Below J are safer choices IMO.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually like the Petite flower or tulip, but they are a bit more and not as nice with the small stone. Suggestions? With a $4500 budget - $3660 stone = $840 + $100 email signup = $960.

If we’re spending 4500 for the stone you don’t like that 1.06 from BN? I like that better than a smaller ja

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JA stone is $3660, slightly smaller but solid numbers given that BN won't provide IS or ASET (nor will JA in this case...sigh)

So, I think the setting needs to be 1.8-2.2 mm, ideally pinch at the top. Simple and no fuss. 6-prong if it does not show the swoops on small stone. Allows a flush wedding band. To me, the three JA settings fit that. I personally prefer the crown, but the others are also nice.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JA stone is $3660, slightly smaller but solid numbers given that BN won't provide IS or ASET (nor will JA in this case...sigh)

So, I think the setting needs to be 1.8-2.2 mm, ideally pinch at the top. Simple and no fuss. 6-prong if it does not show the swoops on small stone. Allows a flush wedding band. To me, the three JA settings fit that. I personally prefer the crown, but the others are also nice.
Of all them I agree with this for this size stone. Though I think the crown setting on a smaller stone looks muddled in the profile. This one will have strength and wear well underneath as well. It is a beautiful setting in platinum.

Edit - The JA video view of this setting has a lovely pinch on the 1ct. size. My favorite.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...inum-sleek-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50012

Last edited:

redhorse

Rough_Rock
so you agree on the diamond?
yes i can swing the setting

If we’re spending 4500 for the stone you don’t like that 1.06 from BN? I like that better than a smaller ja
i called JA and they said i have to purchase the diamond first and get it in their hands and they can provide me an IS image. However, bluenile wouldnt do the same thing and said the GIA is what tells the story of the diamond, it takes a trained eye to be able to tell animage thru IS and that the machine needs to be calibrated regularly to provide an accurate reading and BN dont believe JA calibrates their machine.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more vote for not going with a 2.45mm wide shank for a less than 1 ct. stone. It will overwhelm. Which Tiffany repro are we looking at?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
80222807-32FF-44B7-AED8-976295045604.jpeg
I’ve never been one to shy away from a mm in a soli but I also don’t think this is overwhelmed at all. We’re not talking 3.5 mm here lol

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD09349538
angles we all can agree on, vs clarity, and his 6.2mm
with the tiffany repro its 4291, and thats before any possible discounts. with that 100 under 4200. a little over budget but not blown.

LD09349538

Good find. Its the same spread/size as the JA stone, so we are comparing BN LD09349538 (J VS2) vs JA 2200941 (I SI1, link below). BN is $300 less. Angles on both are all safe and would get Ideal/Excellent by AGSL. BN has medium flour (not a big deal if they can verify it is not impacting light return...which would be very very rare).

So, we are at the classic conundrum of clarity vs. color. At these colors, I personally would choose the JA I SI1. It will be eyeclean (I checked with JA) and it is higher color. To me, that is worth the $300. But, there are some that prefer the higher clarity aka mind clean status (I usually fall into this camp for myself, but I have a 40x microscope at my disposal). I'm not sure that seems to be the OP, but maybe I'm wrong. I also prefer that JA will send an IS once the stone is bought whereas BN is just saying the grading report is enough. To me, that is worth the budget and there OP has several JA settings to choose from. All told, I still favor the JA stone, but the decision is really up to @redhorse =)2

OP's budget at $4500 works for either option. At $4k, BN is a better fit.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2200941
Blue Nile, search for LD09349538

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is the BN stone with the Tiffany repro or the ja stone with the setting linked above.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never been one to shy away from a mm in a soli but I also don’t think this is overwhelmed at all. We’re not talking 3.5 mm here lol
I know and it looks great in this pic. But if you look at all of the pics and vids for that setting, the widths seem all over the place depending on the size of the stone. The very first default one is very wide. My 2 ct solitaire has a 1.9mm and I cannot imagine having a 2.45. JMHO. In fact that pic you put up seems like that is not a 2.45mm with a 1ct stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If ja can’t be consistent with their settings then another reason to go with the bn stone/setting.

If ja can make sure it looks like the example 1ct stone, I think that’s lovely.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If ja can’t be consistent with their settings then another reason to go with the bn stone/setting.

If ja can make sure it looks like the example 1ct stone, I think that’s lovely.
I would agree. I just hate for someone to buy something and think it will be thus and end up not so because of a mm number on the advertisement.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree. I just hate for someone to buy something and think it will be thus and end up not so because of a mm number on the advertisement.
All of the shanks on the stones 1ct and under stones are quite proportionate in the real videos of that setting.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just chatted with JA. The setting Neil suggested is initially shown as a computer rendering which makes it particulary wide looking. It is 2.45 mm wide, but the "recently shown" are accurate.

After talking with JA, here is what I think is a good option.

Setting. https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-six-prong-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50011 {I like sharp prongs, so I would specify that I wanted the prong tips like the 0.7 shown)

Diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2200941

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just chatted with JA. The setting Neil suggested is initially shown as a computer rendering which makes it particulary wide looking. It is 2.45 mm wide, but the "recently shown" are accurate.

Setting. https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-six-prong-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50011 {I like sharp prongs, so I would specify that I wanted the prong tips like the 0.7 shown)

Diamond: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2200941

If the recent photos are accurate of the 4 prong I think the head is more integrated and the shank looks more lux than this most recent suggested setting. And it’s less expensive while still looking more expensive.

redhorse

Rough_Rock

so we are set on the diamond right?
everyone can agree on the JA diamond?
i have it hold already.

are we good to go on the setting?
how does the discount work? $750 -$100 = $650,
or i wont get the discount bcause it is not $1000 + ?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so we are set on the diamond right?
everyone can agree on the JA diamond?
i have it hold already.

are we good to go on the setting?
how does the discount work? $750 -$100 = $650,
or i wont get the discount bcause it is not $1000 + ?

Well I don’t like that suggested 750 setting, I think it looks cheap for the price. Do you like it?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the two recent settings, I have to agree with Niel and like the 4 prong better. It is a lovely setting and not too busy with 6 prongs. It is up to you which one you like better. If JA can make sure the shank is proportional to the stone and rounded claw prongs rather than blobs. JMHO.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the two recent settings, I have to agree with Niel and like the 4 prong better. It is a lovely setting and not to busy with 6 prongs. It is up to you which one you like better. If JA can make sure the shank is proportional to the stone and claw prongs rather than blobs. JMHO.
I asked JA about the prongs and they won't make it or my first suggested setting with claws. So, they are balls (as shown) or choose a different setting to avoid a custom approach.:cry2:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone looks fine, tho I still prefer the J 1.06ct stone. The I should be nicely white, tho, so there's definitely an argument for doing what you're doing.

For settings - this one:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...inum-crown-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53674

The 6 prongs might go some way to making up for the lost diamond spread, and it's elegant and substantial without being heavy, and the tapered band will make the most of the stone's size. And I like that head a LOT. It's a prettier head than the one you're considering, and I think the slightly narrower band will make more of your diamond.

ETA And just to add - .3mm will be a noticeable difference. With band widths, a .9ct diamond vs a 1ct diamond will make a noticeable proportional difference against the band. So I'd take the one I linked to.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked JA about the prongs and they won't make it or my first suggested setting with claws. So, they are balls (as shown) or choose a different setting to avoid a custom approach.:cry2:
Bummer.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone looks fine, tho I still prefer the J 1.06ct stone. The I should be nicely white, tho, so there's definitely an argument for doing what you're doing.

For settings - this one:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...inum-crown-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53674

The 6 prongs might go some way to making up for the lost diamond spread, and it's elegant and substantial without being heavy, and the tapered band will make the most of the stone's size. And I like that head a LOT. It's a prettier head than the one you're considering, and I think the slightly narrower band will make more of your diamond.

ETA And just to add - .3mm will be a noticeable difference. With band widths, a .9ct diamond vs a 1ct diamond will make a noticeable proportional difference against the band. So I'd take the one I linked to.
I like that one too =)2

@redhorse I don't think you are going to be 100% consensus here on the setting. I like the crown, suggested by @mrs-b the best. But, I think you'll have to make the call here.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For settings - this one:

I wish that setting didn't look like a tiny little bowl. I want to love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results