shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with my limited budget

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hold off a sec and get some opinions about the H color... just in case. I personally would choose an H over a J (all other things being equal).

@valeria101 @tyty333 @rockysalamander any opinions of the H SI2?

redhorse

Rough_Rock
is this better than the LD09611990 ?

I could be wrong, but try chatting with BN about whether they can make a 3.75. I know James Allen does this if you message them, not sure if BN does
i will call and ask them about it. thank you. this is very helpful.

Sometimes the links don’t work so I’ve attached a screenshot too
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/nouveau-knife-edge-engagement-ring_38922
ok. got it, this will be the setting.
if i am buying a pave wedding band later on, the "knife edge" will still match right?

Yes love this option.

Make sure to try and use the 100 referral discount.
how do i do that?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
is this better than the LD09611990 ?

i will call and ask them about it. thank you. this is very helpful.

ok. got it, this will be the setting.
if i am buying a pave wedding band later on, the "knife edge" will still match right?

how do i do that?

The H and the J are nearly identical in size... the H is 1.3 HCA and the J is 1.4 HCA. The J is an SI 1 with a feather as the clarity setting grade... the H has a crystal as the clarity setting grade. The H will have less "tint" to the body than the J.

The difference is the si1 and the si2 and the H does have a mark on the table, but whether or not you can really notice it in person is something maybe the gemologist can tell you, maybe chat and ask if a gemologist can compare the two.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’d need someone to email you this, but this is how you could get some money off
https://www.bluenile.com/inside-blue-nile/refer-a-friend
As for being a knife edge, any platinum wedding pave band will match this setting. It’s a classic Tiffany setting (that blue nile strait copied) so it’s very classic and will match basically any diamond band she could want.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3846.PNG

The J is on the left and the H is on the right

Lachinoiserie

Rough_Rock
The ACA I've linked before is only 5 points lighter, same color grade, better clarity and a thousand USD less expensive, just sayin' ;)2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ACA I've linked before is only 5 points lighter, same color grade, better clarity and a thousand USD less expensive, just sayin' ;)2
Link it again please

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
>.80ct ACA + brand new platinum Ritani solitaire ring for less than 4000$ at Whiteflash:

931E491A-B359-404A-9882-EBC7581673FE.jpeg

I’m no expert, but we have the same story behind, and that’s what I would do :)

Ben

Got it

Yes, it is wonderful but Neil said no to less than a carat so everyone ignored it :lol::eek2: (but OP did come back to say he heard GF speaking of one carat). This would be great to compare the .90 to this .80 on diamond database to see actual size difference

I love that it is a VS2 and of course an ACA. A definite contender plus a beautiful setting.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the aca will be visualy similar on size due to optics than bn options. If less thabn, it's my top choice. If not, its a choice of higher color vs clarity. 6 prong I'd vote better clarity, 4 prongs better color.

Thanks for finding these whitewave...I'm driving up the east coast and am not great on a small screen in a moving car.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be traveling soon as well, so If DH drives I'll have time to fool around on diamond database for 4 hours lol...

@Lachinoiserie can you put the link to that actual stone here?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3847.PNG

Minimal visual difference between the .83 ACA and both .90s from blue nile

redhorse

Rough_Rock
i have narrowed it down to these 2:
BLUENILE
Nouveau Knife Edge six prong engagement ring in platinum
$900
LD09611990
round 0.90 ct. diamond
$3,107
6.14 x 6.16 x 3.82 mm
total: $4007
(if i can get the $100 off then i am gonna go thru the ebates portal and get an extra $80)i will have a total of $180 off.

second option is:

WHITEFLASH
Category: A CUT ABOVE®
Carat: 0.838
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Shape: Round
$2,992.00
6.14 x 6.16 x 3.82 mm
platinum ritani siz prong knife edge solitaire engagement ring
$870
total: $3,862.00

Last edited:

Annie Loves Diamond

Rough_Rock
Trade
To all diamond experts, what is the best setting for diamonds? something not too expensive please.;)2

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BLUENILE
$900
LD09611990
round 0.90 ct. diamond
$3,107
6.14 x 6.16 x 3.82 mm
(if i can get the $100 off then i am gonna go thru the ebates portal and get an extra $80)i will have a total of $180 off.

second option is:

WHITEFLASH
$2,992.00
6.14 x 6.16 x 3.82 mm
$870

I prefer color grading of Gia to AGS. Though slight, some feel Gia is more strict, meaning what AGS considers a j, Gia may consider lower. Since were right at the J level, I’d rather have a Gia j, myself. Also, 90 just seems closer to 1ct where 83 seems closer to .75. But I don’t think you could go wrong :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To all diamond experts, what is the best setting for diamonds? something not too expensive please.;)2
In terms of value for money?
In terms of longevity?
In terms of security?
In terms of 'showing off' the stone?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The H is a nice SI2. I would not expect to find something substantially better.

Without knowing her color preferences, an H is a safer choice than a J.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BLUENILE
$900
LD09611990
round 0.90 ct. diamond
$3,107
6.14 x 6.16 x 3.82 mm

second option is:

WHITEFLASH
$2,992.00
6.14 x 6.16 x 3.82 mm
$870

The ACA J will likely "appear" whiter than the SI1 J from blue nile, white flash has a much better upgrade policy (it is great, only spend more not double like blue nile) and it is a super ideal diamond. It also has a designer ring. It is also has much better clarity. A VS 2 is a good choice. Please note that the setting is beaded. Have you googled the setting to really look at other pictures of it to be sure you like it? I'm pretty comfortable saying whiteflash woud switch it out if she doesn't like it. Whiteflash has excellent personal customer service.

The Blue NIle diamond is bigger, and is likely a well performing diamond. The setting is classic, which may appeal to your non jewelry wearing girlfriend.

You have to make the choice.

Last edited:

redhorse

Rough_Rock
I prefer color grading of Gia to AGS. Though slight, some feel Gia is more strict, meaning what AGS considers a j, Gia may consider lower. Since were right at the J level, I’d rather have a Gia j, myself. Also, 90 just seems closer to 1ct where 83 seems closer to .75. But I don’t think you could go wrong :)
ok so i will go with the GIA from bluenile.
i had the diamond reserved last night and i asked for a gemologist to inspect it if it is "eye clean".
in case it is not "eye clean" can i have recommendations for a back up please?

NOTE: i finally figured out the HCA tool, i have been plugging alot of diamonds last night. i was up untl 2 a.m. and i can never get 3- excellents on the HCA tool. :(

redhorse

Rough_Rock
The ACA J will likely "appear" whiter than the SI1 J from blue nile, white flash has a better upgrade policy (it is great, only spend more not double like blue nile) and it is a super ideal diamond. It also has a designer ring. It is also much better clarity. A VS 2 is a good choice.

The Blue NIle diamond is bigger.

You have to make the choice.
for a "diamond dummy" like me, believe me it is not an easy task.
i know i am only spending $4k and not $20k but i am still having restless sleep at night or stying awake just staring at the ceiling and then looking at her and wishing i will make the right decision.

you guys helped alot. helped me narrowed down my options and hopefully you gusy will also nudge me towards picking the right one.

can't say this enough, thank you !

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I edited my post above.

The H is a back up to the blue nile J. Maybe have the gemologist compare both of them. Ask the gemologist if the J faces up white (it should, but double check)

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That statement that the whiteflash stone will appear whiter than the BN stone is based on bias not fact. They are both ideally cut stones that will return a lot of light.

Sorry whitewave I can ignore your catty remarks about me but not statements that are clearly meant just to get someone to pick “your diamond “ as if it been matters. It’s about getting the OPs girlfriend as close to her dream ring as possible, not putting a thread in your win column.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
EFDEBDAB-C2EF-4568-87FC-C82B78DB4BC2.jpeg
Got it

Yes, it is wonderful but Neil said no to less than a carat so everyone ignored it :lol::eek2: (but OP did come back to say he heard GF speaking of one carat). This would be great to compare the .90 to this .80 on diamond database to see actual size difference

I love that it is a VS2 and of course an ACA. A definite contender plus a beautiful setting.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That statement that the whiteflash stone will appear whiter than the BN stone is based on bias not fact. They are both ideally cut stones that will return a lot of light.

Sorry whitewave I can ignore your catty remarks about me but not statements that are clearly meant just to get someone to pick “your diamond “ as if it been matters. It’s about getting the OPs girlfriend as close to her dream ring as possible, not putting a thread in your win column.

See, you said you were putting me on ignore. I didn't put you on ignore becuase I wanted to see every time you LIED anout me, like you did twice on this thread.

You are a LIAR, and that is a such a horrible trait to have.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See, you said you were putting me on ignore. I didn't put you on ignore becuase I wanted to see every time you LIED anout me, like you did twice on this thread.

You are a LIAR, and that is a such a horrible trait to have.
I actually did put you on ignore. This website has a nice little “see ignored content” button I can click to see what super knowledgeable stuff you’re posting. :lol:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually did put you on ignore. This website has a nice little “see ignored content” button I can click to see what super knowledgeable stuff you’re posting. :lol:

Again, you are a LIAR. Address that. 2 lies about me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, you are a LIAR. Address that. 2 lies about me.
You come off as an enormous shill. That’s not a lie. :wavey:

If I’m lying and you don’t post the same thing on every thread, one randos opinion on the internet shouldn’t bother you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results