color
clarity

HELP Me Quit Smoking!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1304532802|2912191 said:
THANK YOU Jaysonsmom, steph, sig47, and suchende! :wavey:

DAY 3! :appl: :appl:

Doing much better than yesterday, feeling less ticked off. The patch is working, I'm feeling almost normal.

THANKS everyone, I would not be making it without the support on this forum!

:appl: Keep up the good work iLander! You can do this! The first few weeks are definitely the hardest but I promise it gets much, much easier the longer you go without smoking!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
iLander - I am sending you tons of strength! You can do this!!!! My dad and grandma both made it and if they can then you can too! Just think of the day when you can inhale nice deep breaths of fresh cool air and not even think about wanting one ever! You've got this, I have faith!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
More reasons to quit smoking:

1. You won't be called butt-face. (lol)
2. You'll soon be tasting extra delicious food.
3. You don't have to worry about having a spare lighter.
4. No more burn holes in your furniture, clothes, car, or rugs.
5. Not having to clean up that weird tobacco spillage in the bottom of your $$$handbag.

You're doing great, iLander! You got this!!

:appl: Good job iLander!

Just imagine all of the smells and tastes you've been missing out on!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1304533751|2912202 said:
iLander|1304532802|2912191 said:
THANK YOU Jaysonsmom, steph, sig47, and suchende! :wavey:

DAY 3! :appl: :appl:

Doing much better than yesterday, feeling less ticked off. The patch is working, I'm feeling almost normal.

THANKS everyone, I would not be making it without the support on this forum!

:appl: Keep up the good work iLander! You can do this! The first few weeks are definitely the hardest but I promise it gets much, much easier the longer you go without smoking!

Thank you for the support, Thing. That's what's made the difference between this time and all the other (so many :rolleyes:) times!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1304534457|2912216 said:
iLander - I am sending you tons of strength! You can do this!!!! My dad and grandma both made it and if they can then you can too! Just think of the day when you can inhale nice deep breaths of fresh cool air and not even think about wanting one ever! You've got this, I have faith!

I believe you, Dragonfly. I don't know why, but I believe you really do see this working!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@SHINY: More reasons to quit smoking:

1. You won't be called butt-face. (lol) :lol:
2. You'll soon be tasting extra delicious food. :cheeky:
3. You don't have to worry about having a spare lighter. :bigsmile:
4. No more burn holes in your furniture, clothes, car, or rugs. How did you know? :shock:
5. Not having to clean up that weird tobacco spillage in the bottom of your $$$handbag. Are you in my HOUSE?! :errrr:

Just kidding. :D :lol:

Thanks for coming back Shiny. I'm starting to look forward to your "visits"! (no pressure though)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
bean|1304535959|2912234 said:
:appl: Good job iLander!

Just imagine all of the smells and tastes you've been missing out on!

Thanks for your help, Bean. :wavey:

So far I've mostly noticed how much my dog smells :shock:

I washed her, but now I'm thinking she's just gassy. :lol:

And I never noticed before! :oops:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Okay, Day 3 went pretty darn well! I am hoping tomorrow goes as well, knock on wood, salt over my shoulder.

3 days (almost, not done until I go to bed) so far, so good.

Only because of the great people on PS! :appl:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
I'm so proud of you, ILander!
You can do eet! YOU CAN DO EET ALL WEEK LONG!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: You are doing GREAT!!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ilander, I just wanted to offer my support too! Congrats on 3 days, that's fantastic!!! Just keep reminding yourself you're doing a wonderful thing, not only for you but your family as well! You can do this! :appl: :appl: :appl:

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
First off, YEAHHHHH!!!! YOU!!!!! :D :D :D

Secondly, you should go to the jewlers and have your rings steam cleaned. My friends mom smoked and it REALLY gunked up her jewlery.

Keep going we are TOTALLY behind you!!!
:bigsmile:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
iLander, phenomenal!!! You're doing such a good job. Three days down is quite an accomplishment!!!

Hm, with 2 packs a day, you're looking at a pair of diamond huggies!!! Ooh la la!!!! Pair that with one of Vapid's rings you got yourself a lot of :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
WHY is this day so hard? I was all chipper yesterday, today I am grumpy and crabby and feel out of sorts.

I am sucking on lozenges, they don't seem to help and I am thinking I need to go to a full patch.

This is really ridiculous.

I'm going to go and check my horoscope . . .

slg47

Ideal_Rock
iLander we are all behind you :) (well not literally!) you can do this!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lovemybling|1304568321|2912725 said:
First off, YEAHHHHH!!!! YOU!!!!! :D :D :D

Secondly, you should go to the jewlers and have your rings steam cleaned. My friends mom smoked and it REALLY gunked up her jewlery.

Keep going we are TOTALLY behind you!!!
:bigsmile:

Seriously? Good lord, how much did she smoke?!?
iLander said:
WHY is this day so hard? I was all chipper yesterday, today I am grumpy and crabby and feel out of sorts.

I am sucking on lozenges, they don't seem to help and I am thinking I need to go to a full patch.

iLander, sorry this day is hard. Be nice to yourself: take a long bath with a soothing glass of tea; buy yourself some pretty flowers; open the good wine with dinner. Quitting is hard, so reward yourself in some little ways throughout the process.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I worked for a short time in both a private rehab clinic and a local authority addiction service here. There is a lot of science and evidence based practice in both these settings, and also some tried and tested folklore amongst the older, most experienced staff there. One of the legends (for want of a better word) is that addictions end in threes - three hours, three days, three weeks, three months and so on. They all seem anecdotally to be danger points or difficult moments and conversely, getting past each one of them is a milestone. Every day, you're spiraling further out of your addiction. Heck, every three hours you are, too.

Hang in there. I did it, so can you.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Since I have every confidence in you, iLandr I will go ahead and ask what size shall I make it?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh, ilander, I wish you much strength during this difficult time. I too, am trying to quit, and although I only smoked 3-5 cigs per day, its been extremely hard, so I cant imagine what you must be going through!!! Keep it up, lady, you're doing great!!!!

iLander|1304628821|2913242 said:

YOU CAN DO IT!! WE ARE HERE FOR YOU!!
Have you considered taking up a new habit to busy your fingers and mind? knitting? pottery? poetry? something random and perhaps a little difficult?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I have not read all the responses, but I have one for you, my husbands step mother in law was one of the sweetest woman on earth, smart, funny just very loving, my oldest son just adored her as did I...she smoked for years as most people did way back when, well she finally quit and then 15 years later she developed lung cancer from smoking, that wonderful women died at the age of 63 from lung cancer, we were all devastated, May 9th is the 20 year anniversary of her death and I still miss her dearly :blackeye:

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Glad you enjoyed my list! (I seeee youuu!) :tongue:

You are doing a fantastic job, iLander! It's not US, it's YOU!! You are doing it all!!!!

Quitnet.com is supposed to be a great site if you wanna check it out!

One piece of jewelry no one should want:

smokeyuckring.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cut down at first and when I was down to about 3x per day I chose a date and quit. That was last 4th of July and I have certainly had my cravings since then but I have not and I will not cave. The biggest thing that has helped for me is avoiding places I used to smoke as much as possible, especially in the beginning. I always used to smoke in the car so I kept the windows shut in the car for awhile and I always used to smoke during my lunch at work so now I make sure I just stay in the building. Some days it has been really difficult but I have managed to keep with it. My major reasons for quitting were just to live healthier. I'm happy, I'm in love, and I want to be here as long as I can.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
iLander, Keep it up! You're doing such a great job!

~LC

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander, just seeing this! I just quit smoking about a week ago.

I didn't smoke for 3 years and then when SO and I were separated for the 7 months we couldn't be together I lost my resolve not to smoke- I didn't like being by myself and had never been by myself- not that it's an excuse- actually- because I really just hurt myself by smoking again. Well, let me back up. I didn't start until about 2 months after he'd left. OK, fast forward. I was going to quit and not tell him about the fact I smoked but I confessed and had smoked for the last few months which he didn't like- at all. So he told me he wanted me to quit because he was concerned about me smoking and he didn't want anything to happen to me, and because smoking is very expensive; to make a long story short, he was truly concerned and worried, so I really didn't feel like I had a choice except to quit again.

It hasn't been easy (the 4th day was the worst!- on that day I asked him to buy me a pack and he did, and he got so upset that I asked him- after I smoked about five of them- if he wanted me to destroy the remaining cigarettes- and he said yes- so I did- and the 5th day he bought me some gum).

I don't know how often I'm going to be able to check in so BEST WISHES!!! with quitting and let me give you just a couple pieces of advice:

1. Don't use the patch and use the gum or smoke, don't use the gum and use the patch or smoke, and don't smoke and use the gum or the patch. Doing anything other than 1 of the above can be dangerous.

2. If you fall off the wagon, don't waste your time despairing, just stop smoking again, as soon as possible.

I know how hard it is to do, and I know what it's like to want to smoke (heck, if it didn't have any health effects and it was free, I'd be smoking like a chimney) but it is the right thing. Hang in there. HUGS!

Danny

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Danny, maybe this can help you as well as iLander. We have so many support threads on this site, this is an excellent one!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys, will write detailed thank you's later.

I am tired and ticked off today. On day 5.

Took the patch OFF and felt a little better. What is that about?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Ilander - You can make it through today, you can and you will! Perhaps your body needs a slight reprieve from the patch? You have to remember that's putting a consistent flow into you, vs you were smoking periodically... make sense?

Do think about the new food tastes b/c seriously I couldn't imagine my life without being able to truly absorb tastes. I do believe you're going to get this, and I'm sending as much strength as I can. I thought about you yesterday and kept waiting for your "I made it!" :wavey:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander,

The first week is really tough.

Cravings won't kill you but smoking will! You can do this! Suck on cinnamon sticks (like a cigarette) to cut cravings and to regulate blood sugar.

BE GENTLE WITH YOURSELF! If you are crabby, tell yourself that you are kicking a habit that just about as difficult to quit as heroin. When it is in that perspective...it's easier to understand why you might not be in the best of moods. ;))

BE PROUD OF YOURSELF! You are strong! You are doing what so many people can't and won't, but should.

Understand that this WILL get easier. These middle days are the toughest, but once they pass, you will feel better.

If you are too crabby or feeling too terrible, go back to bed and watch your favorite movies and soothe, soothe, soothe. You deserve it. There is no need to be superwoman right now. You are quitting a powerful addiction...sitting in bed is warranted, if needed.

Love to you iLander. I quit last September and it was REALLY tough, but I am so glad that I did. I chewed the gum and actually, just quit the gum two months ago! :lol: I just told myself, "whatever it takes!"

Oh, and one more thing...I DO hope you are setting that cigarette money aside in a jar each day and watching it pile up for some new bling!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results