shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP Me Quit Smoking!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1304372986|2910402 said:
I was a smoker for 22 years. I quit when I was 33. Yup started at 11.
One thing that helped was swimming every day in a chlorine pool. IT changes the way you taste and smell the smoke that it is unbearably raunchy. Also mental resolve is important. as is keeping busy and avoiding the kinds of situations that you would smoke in, like kicking back with a coffee after a delicious meal. Keep your hands busy. purge your home of all accessories like ash trays and clean all the furniture walls rugs and drapes. excising the smell from your home is good.
If you quit for a year I will make you one of my hand forged rings. How's that for motivation?

Okay, this just about made me cry . . . it's so nice. ;(

VERY excellent motivation Vapid! Those are true beauties!

I HAVE to do it this time, I think I'm on my way to COPD or something equally nasty. :errrr:

Gotta keep moving, that seems to help. . .

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Wanted to pop in and see how you're doing! You've almost made it through the WHOLE day!!! Good job!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@THING@: Send me some of that strength!

@HEREKITTY: I will check into that, thanks!

@FREKE: I think you may be right, my hair is starting to get really dry! Ugh!

@SUNNYD: Will echeck out the book, not looking forward to gunk! :shock:

Going to walk now . . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1304374544|2910439 said:
Wanted to pop in and see how you're doing! You've almost made it through the WHOLE day!!! Good job!

THANK YOU! You rock!

You're right, I should be proud, not antsy, I'm doing good! :bigsmile:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sending all of the quitting strength I can to you! Keep up the good work!

If you stay busy and go for walks you'll not only not smoke anymore, you'll also be in great shape! :appl:

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1304374709|2910441 said:
@THING@: Send me some of that strength!

@HEREKITTY: I will check into that, thanks!

@FREKE: I think you may be right, my hair is starting to get really dry! Ugh!

@SUNNYD: Will echeck out the book, not looking forward to gunk! :shock:

Going to walk now . . .

I know it's gross, but it's your body purging the smoke buildup. You'll feel so much better after!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there. I feel your pain. I quit smoking on February 10th, 2008. Best decision I've made to date! I became a pack/day smoker in college and quit just before my 26th birthday.

I quit using two methods. The patch (used EVERY DAY) on the three-step program that gradually steps you down. And the Oprah.com message boards. Seriously, there are just bunches of people that were on there at the same time trying to quit so we all leaned on each other for support. Every time I craved a cigarette, I would lightly touch the patch and just be assured that it was working, I didn't NEED any nicotine. If I needed an extra boost, I'd log on to the Oprah website and ask for it. If the Oprah message boards aren't still running, there has to be another online forum somewhere.

Have you been to quitnet dot com? They have a tracker that will tell you how much money you're saving by not smoking, as well as how much time you've added to your life and the amount of cigarettes you haven't smoked since you quit. It's a pretty nifty little website.

I also did some deep yogic breathing every time I felt a strong urge. Slowly breathing in through my nose and slowly breathing out through my mouth. Worked like a charm. Seriously. Also, I tried my hardest to avoid situations that I always associated with smoking. It sucked, but I had to avoid drinking for awhile. In the end, totally worth it.

It wasn't easy. I'd quit before for just a few days/weeks at a time but this had to be it. I know you can do it. I know you can.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
I smoked for 4 years and have been a non-smoker for just over a year. Although I didn't smoke for years per-say I had attempted to quit about 5 times before I finally quit (I smoked 7-10 a day; quit cold turkey). You're already 1 step closer to quitting for good, every hour that you don't smoke is another step closer, and the fact that you have decided "this is it!" is a big step forward. Here are some things that I did and helped through my quitting period:

1. Change your routine, if you usually take a smoke break at work make yourself some tea instead. I would make mint tea and enjoy it outside instead of smoking.

2. I used to always smoke in my car. To avoid this I cleaned my whole car spotless, this way I didn't want to stink up the nice clean car, I also had suckers/lollipops in my glove box!

3. I heard somewhere that it only takes 21 days to mentally break and addiction, I forced myself to make it to 21 days to see if it's true... I think it was.

4. Think of all the people laying in hospital beds right now, wishing that they would have quit while they still had the chance. Do it for them, if not for yourself!

That's all I can really think of for now. I also like the idea someone posted about buying lovely smelling shampoo. I loved smelling my clean hair at the end of the day instead of smelling cigarettes, also wearing nice perfume lasts sooo much longer. You can do it, you're already on your way there :appl:

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't gone through and read the whole thread, but congrats on making the decision to quit! I know it sounds cliche, but that's a really important step! My dad decided to quit cold turkey many years before I was born. I always admired him for that.

As for a reason top stop...I hope this won't be too morbid for you. But I work in hospice care, and I often work with patients who are on hospice with COPD, lung cancer, chronic respiratory failure, etc. No, these conditions are not always caused by smoking. But usually, patients on for these diagnoses were (and are) heavy smokers.

These patients also tend to be much younger and suffer more difficult/uncomfortable symptoms. Seeing their discomfort is certainly enough to make me never consider lighting up.

I wish you luck, and again, way to go for making the all-important decision to quit!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
iLander, huge kudos for deciding to quit. Both my Mom and my sister were heavy smokers and quit together when my sister got pg with her first child.

I have no great suggestions, since I've never smoked, but maybe this will help. From a non-smoker who HATES second hand smoke and goes to great lengths to avoid it and keep my young children away from it, THANK YOU. Your decision is helping to make our air cleaner for all of us to breath and is good for the environment. That's something to be proud of.

I grew up with a family that smoked. I now cough a lot and have wheezy breathing sometimes- I'm positive it's from the smoke. I have tried smoking a few times and couldn't breathe... I HATED IT. I just can't be around smokers. Anyway, my lungs HAVE been affected by my parents and grandparents and it's not my fault. I am very angry at my family for this. On the other hand, my parents still smoke and I feel like I am watching them die slowly. They are not in bad shape compared to others described in this thread... yet. But I imagine it will happen.

My grandmother who had smoked for like 50 years quit COLD TURKEY! She then got sick (unrelated), went to the hospital and was about to be released when she eventually died that night from... heart complications. From smoking. I miss her to no end. I sometimes think that if she wouldn't have been a smoker she would've made it to my wedding.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I just wanted to stop in and wish you luck, iLander. It's not easy to quit (I have been there myself several times) but it CAN be done and you CAN do this!

Knitting, crafts, DIY projects around the house, your walks, all those things to keep yourself busy. You will likely discover that you have SO MUCH TIME to do more fun things now that you aren't chained to the old ciggie/lighter routine! I remember when I quit the last time, I got so much housework done and my house was cleaner than it had ever been, and that was such a great feeling. Anyway...best of luck on your quest to become a non-smoker!

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
iLander, I am popping in to say you go girl! I'm so glad you 've made this important decision!

My son quit smoking 6 months ago. He says he has sooooo much more free time and feels more relaxed because he isn't constantly thinking about when he will have his next smoke. He smells way better too! Now he can't stand the smell of cigg smoke.

Then my son's girlfriends quit, she used one of those electronic ciggs and said it worked wonders.

Please keep us updated and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,
MDS

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tobacco is unhealthy (not just the smoke) so I would not rely on an electronic cigarette as a long term solution. Tobacco cravings can last a lifetime so you have to be really READY. You have to quit for YOU. Habits are hard to break.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son quit over a year ago and did use a forum to help him. He said that once he got through the initial few weeks that he thought it would be smooth sailing, but it was not. There was a real physical feeling around maybe 3 months that almost tripped him up, but he kept going. It really is a matter of resolve and being willing to suffer for awhile to get through the withdrawal. I'll try to remember to ask him about the forum and the timeline about overcoming addiction. It really helped him to know what was normal.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tacori E-ring|1304428262|2910972 said:
Tobacco is unhealthy (not just the smoke) so I would not rely on an electronic cigarette as a long term solution. Tobacco cravings can last a lifetime so you have to be really READY. You have to quit for YOU. Habits are hard to break.

Well ... true and not true. There's no tobacco in e-cigs, just nicotine. So you skip out on the 1001 carcinogens in cigarettes, but the nicotine isn't exactly the best thing in the world for you ... but for people who need the rituals of smoking, it's a good in-between step, especially if you taper. That said, iLander said they were too close to the real thing, so moot point here! Just wanted to put it out there for anybody else quitting and trying to figure out how.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi Guys!

Okay, day 2 sucks so far. :(

@CIRCE: I did use my husband's e-cig a little this morning because my resolve was waning. It did help.

I've slapped on my half a patch, I'm considering putting on 47 patches, but DH talked me out of that. :bigsmile:

I'm hoping tomorrow will be better, so aiming for that. Today is hard, but I am over 24 hours smoke free :appl: , so I guess that's good.

Why did I ever start smoking? Dumb. But back then, we didn't really know any better (yes, I'm THAT old).

Today I will be slogging through . . .

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Keep it up iLander! You can do it! You're 24 hours ahead of where you wer yesterday! We're rooting for you! :appl:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe, thanks for the clarification. Nicotine is not good but you are right that the chemicals and tar in traditional cigarettes (not to mention the smoke) are much worse. It is not suggested to engage in any activity that can trigger addictions. That is why in rehab, clients are told they will have a great chance of sobriety if they also give up smoking. Not what they want to hear but research supports it.

ilander, I went back to my book and here is some motivation for you...
-20 mins: after quitting blood pressure and pulse rate drop to normal
-8 hrs: Co2 levels drop and O2 increases to normal
-48 hrs: senses of smell and taste begin to return
1 week: risk of heart attack drops
2-12 weeks: circulation and lung function improve
1 yr: risk of heart disease is half of someone who is still smoking
10-15 yrs: risk of all major diseases decreases to nearly that of someone who has never smoked.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, YES, and vice-versa: in studies drinking has been shown to increase the desire to smoke. It's partially the lowered inhibitions, and partially a biological connection that apparently connects the chemical responses. Good times!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
iLander, HOORAY for Day 2!!!! You're doing great :appl:

You can use all the extra money you're saving from not smoking to a pretty new sparkly!!!

In Chicago, cigarettes are ~$10/pack. Even if one smoked 1 pack/week, you're talking about $520 a year to get a new present for yourself! We'll help you pick out your presents :)

You can get something like this for $500.

BlueNileSapphireEternity.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Tacori and I were apparently thinking the same thing for motivation!!

American Cancer Society says:

20 minutes after quitting: Your blood pressure drops to a level close to that before the last cigarette. The temperature of your hands and feet increases to normal.

8 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

24 hours after quitting: Your chance of a heart attack decreases.

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: Your circulation improves and your lung function increases up to 30%.

1 to 9 months after quitting: Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection.

1 year after quitting: The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.

5 years after quitting: Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5-15 years after quitting.

10 years after quitting: The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker's. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decrease.

15 years after quitting: The risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker's.

So, congratulations on reducing your risk of heart attack already!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wishing the best! Hang in there...you have lots of support on this forum!!!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@Thing; Today was a tough one, didn't smoke though. Hope it gets easier
@Sunny: Now I'm looking forward to the afterward
@Travel: I think I'm going to have to sleep in the patch, the box says I can, mornings suck the worst. I'll hang here with these guys (and you!), everyone's been very supportive. Thank you for your support.
@Glitz; True, I don't want to be in a hospital bed wishing I had managed to quit in 2011!
@Merilenda; Thanks, that does give me perspective. It's so hard to find a smoking section at a hospital! (just a morbid joke)
@Yenny; You're welcome!
@Bean: Such sad stories, hugs to you. . .
@Monarch; My house really IS cleaner. Thank you.
@MyDiamond; Thank you, hugs to your son.
@Tacori: Yes, it is hard. Sucks.
@Diamond; I will check out other forums, but I like these guys here. Thank you for coming back, much appreciated!
@Circe; I used my DH's e-cig this am, and it really took the edge off. He's quitting too, so you know we are having a great time here. :rolleyes: Thank you for your continued support!
@Yenny; THANK YOU, your rooting really does help! You Rock!
@Tacori; I am hoping the lung function will improve, that's what I really need! Thank you for the encouragement.
@Circe; Good thing I don't drink, too!
@Lliang; Thanks! Good point! Now do that math with 2 packs a day!
@SomethingShiny: Thank you for hanging in there with me! Looking forward to walking upstairs without getting winded!
@Tyty; This support is making all the difference, I have to say. Thank you for yours.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Long slog, just like I thought it would be.

But I got through it without a cigarette! :appl:

I would have quit this morning if it wasn't for you guys! Every time I think of having one, I picture all your disappointed faces!

So, thank you everyone! :wavey:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm sending you cyber support iLander! I don't have firsthand experience, but I've had several family members who smoked then quit. It can be tough, but those who have quit for good are happy that they did it for their health and the health of those around them. Best of luck!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck iLander! I don't have any advice, but you are making a choice that will likely extend your life. I've seen too many people taken by lung cancer.

My grandfather was only 62 when he died. He had 9 grandchildren, most of who were too young to remember him.

I never met my father-in-law, he died when my husband was only 17.

A dear family friend passed away last month. He was only 63 and left behind 3 grandsons under 2 years old.

All of them were lifelong smokers and likely could have had many more years with their loved ones if they had quit smoking. Your loved ones will thank you for your decision.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
iLander just wanted to say I am rooting for you. you can do this! also :appl: :appl: for 2 days, i'm sure it wasn't easy.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck. I quit after 5 years and it was deeply unpleasant, but there is no denying I am happier now :)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU Jaysonsmom, steph, sig47, and suchende! :wavey:

DAY 3! :appl: :appl:

Doing much better than yesterday, feeling less ticked off. The patch is working, I'm feeling almost normal.

THANKS everyone, I would not be making it without the support on this forum!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results