shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me not get screwed by robbins bros

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possibly dumb question... but the Robbin Bros (or anywhere else) layaway option would mean not being able to get the ring until it's paid in full in X months time, wouldn't it?

In which case it would make sense to go with something we can find instead if all time pressure for 15th(?) August is off.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possibly dumb question... but the Robbin Bros (or anywhere else) layaway option would mean not being able to get the ring until it's paid in full in X months time, wouldn't it?

In which case it would make sense to go with something we can find instead if all time pressure for 15th(?) August is off.
With RB, OP will get the ring now and pay off later in installments

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
With RB, OP will get the ring now and pay off later in installments

Didn't he say he has zero credit though? He said his identity was stolen. So would they let him take the ring away without paying in full? Not sure how it works over there but here in the UK he would fail a credit check and would not be able to do that.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't he say he has zero credit though? He said his identity was stolen. So would they let him take the ring away without paying in full? Not sure how it works over there but here in the UK he would fail a credit check and would not be able to do that.

They have financing options that don't require someone to have good credit.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He can pay about 1000$ cash (but not sure if he will do that or just pay installments)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
8 pages and I’m overwhelmed. Oh my goodness.

So the summary here is

1. OP needs the ring in hand by August 15. Non-negotiable.

2. OP does not want a band.
Pros: Big visual impact, would photograph well for social media which is important to her, would be something she could wear for the rest of her happily ever after without any pressure to “upgrade”.
Cons: Non-traditional.

3. OP does not want sims.
Pros: Big visual impact, would photograph well for social media which is important to her, stone could be easily switched out keeping the “proposal setting” when timing and finances allow.
Cons: His intended has always wanted a diamond.

4. OP does not want a small new diamond in a simple setting.
Pros: Good upgrade policies available from some vendors, guaranteed excellent diamond quality, very traditional.
Cons: A small diamond in a simple setting will have less visual impact, and will not photograph well for social media which is important to her.

4. OP is considering vintage pieces.
Pros: More value for money - bigger visual impact, vintage is “hot” right now, would photograph well for social media which is important to her.
Cons: We aren’t sure if OP’s intended and ancillary opiners would like a “used” engagement ring. No possibility of upgrading.

Am I missing anything?

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
Trust me. Go to Kevin Jewelers. It will take less time than an appointment with Robbins bros Bc you just walk in! Lots to choose from. Bring her! She will love it.
Has anyone else had similar success with Kevin Jewlers? I believe you but I'm working OT to save and I'm also taking a summer class so I have very little spare time although I do know that my gf would much rather buy something in person than online so it is appealing. EDIT. SHe would rather have ME buy it in person. She would not want to go with me she loves surprises!

@davidorangecali When you have a moment ... and I forget if this was asked earlier, but any chance there is an heirloom diamond and/or ring in your family (not hers) that you can possibly propose with? There is a sentimentality associated with having one's family offer up a ring to someone, kind of as a means of 'welcome to our family'. Just another thought.
Not that I know of in her family and the only heirloom in my family has been used already. I'm the youngest child. Off topic i love your John Adams quote!
Great minds!! I asked this page 1.:wavey:

Missed that one sorry! SOO many people jumping to help It's been hard to keep up with all the posts.
F94495D5-257D-43E5-9518-BC94847CB21E.jpeg
1.2 HCA

0089966C-7A66-4469-8870-5C5C6A594BA7.jpeg

$1187 total

It can be finished by Monday.

Direct link to stone: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true
That does look nice and I'm not a fan of solitaires. This might be my favorite solitaire so far and I am putting it in my options list...

but ultimately I think I need to end the solitaire suggestions unfortunately. There's tons of them and I don't have the time to look at them all and even though they might have the best bang for buck and great upgrade options I know they wouldnt be as big a hit. I know it seems to be most people's go to suggestions for the 1k option but after going back to look at the myriad of fb/insta posts she's tagged me in or sent me there is almost no solitaires and I know how much she loves halo rings although I like the pave and sidestones myself. Yes she is very traditional and she's not super blingy normally but she does LOVE social media and posting pictures of everything so for the ring I actually think blingy would be better.

Also I would ask if people stop suggesting alternatives. I don't want to sound unappreciative but I know my gf and I know exactly how she wants things. There is no such thing as a proposal without a diamond engagement ring and I don't think she'd like colored diamonds. She isn't as particular about the color of the band but the white is what I love and probably would want to avoid yellow or rose. She LOVES surprises and would absolutely want to be surprised so I can talk to her about it but not be as upfront as some suggested. She loves halo styles but ultimately I know she would love whatever I like best. I know she wouldn't be thrilled about preowned but if it is really nice and doesn't look worn/used especially if it looks good in pics I know she would love it.

I'm still working so I haven't caught up on all the replies just yet.

Everyone, please listen to op before posting. He doesn't want a simple solitaire, and is likely sticking to preloved. He gave his top choices. Let's comment on those rather than overwhelming him with more options that don't fit what he wants.
Thanks!:wavey:

Found a few settings on MDZ on ebay. he'd have to be ready to move on them quickly and really, depends on how quickly a jeweler could set it. so it might put him in a time crunch.
If you have any suggestions please let me know. As long as I can get them delivered in time I can't imagine it would take a jeweler much time to set it would it? Our trip is only 4 days but if I wouldn't propose until night 3 so maybe I could take the loose stone and setting to our destination and have a local jewler do it.

Man it's hard work keeping up with all the posting!! Seems like another page has been added since writing this so I probably haven't seen the most recent posts but I will when I get home I'm just leaving work right now after a 12 hr day.. got to put in that OT for the ring afterall!=)2

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
8 pages and I’m overwhelmed. Oh my goodness.

So the summary here is

1. OP needs the ring in hand by August 15. Non-negotiable.

2. OP does not want a band.
Pros: Big visual impact, would photograph well for social media which is important to her, would be something she could wear for the rest of her happily ever after without any pressure to “upgrade”.
Cons: Non-traditional.

3. OP does not want sims.
Pros: Big visual impact, would photograph well for social media which is important to her, stone could be easily switched out keeping the “proposal setting” when timing and finances allow.
Cons: His intended has always wanted a diamond.

4. OP does not want a small new diamond in a simple setting.
Pros: Good upgrade policies available from some vendors, guaranteed excellent diamond quality, very traditional.
Cons: A small diamond in a simple setting will have less visual impact, and will not photograph well for social media which is important to her.

4. OP is considering vintage pieces.
Pros: More value for money - bigger visual impact, vintage is “hot” right now, would photograph well for social media which is important to her.
Cons: We aren’t sure if OP’s intended and ancillary opiners would like a “used” engagement ring. No possibility of upgrading.

Am I missing anything?
6. OP would need a payment plan a la RB (get now, pay later) OR a 1000$ ring with impact

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(@yssie )
7. Design should involve a halo

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@davidorangecali, You might want to start a new thread with the new information that you posted. Otherwise, you might keep getting posts from people who haven't read your most recent update.

So she would like a halo. That's great info to have!

Since you say that she would not be thrilled about pre-owned, I am back to thinking that a solitaire might be a good idea. You could present her with a solitaire now and offer to have it re-set in a halo down the road. A .5 ct diamond like the one @whitewave suggested would look very respectable now, and would give an even larger look once set into a halo.

Given what you've told us about her family, it sounds like they may really give her a hard time about a used ring. If they're likely to ask all sorts of questions about where the ring came from, it might be hard to avoid telling them that it is used. Unless you think she would feel comfortable with something like that Leo halo posted above, and just saying "It's from Kay's". (And she would have to be in on it. I would definitely not lie to her about it being a used ring.)

ETA - Whatever you do, I would try to get her something that she will like. She will be the one wearing it, after all. :)

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am lost too. Can anyone summarize what Would be acceptable to the OP? There seems that be a lot of “no’s” on his list, and given his budget constraints I don’t know what is possible anymore. Maybe I’m just not resourceful enough.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is not a random seller and these all give a good bit of finger coverage. They are not halos but give a similar illusion. If she’s not into vintage then don’t bother checking them out.

With overnight shipping ($30) you can have the setting by the 10th. That gives you 5 days to set it. I’d probably contact the seller though and BEG to get it shipped out by Monday, 8/6 to get it Tuesday and give you more time and peace of mind. It never hurts to ask.

fits Round 4.2mm - 4.8mm $179
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-DECO-D...14-FILIGREE-/401573197216?hash=item5d7fa0b5a0

fits Round 4.0mm - 5.5mm $179
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2ct-VINT...SETTING-14K-/153122259211?hash=item23a6cc410b

Fits Round 4.7mm - 5.2mm $225
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-AR...LIGREE-DECO-/153115473484?hash=item23a664b64c

FIts ROund 4.6mm-5mm $159
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FI...RT-DECO-14K-/173443077972?hash=item2862035754

Fits Round 4.6mm - 5mm $169
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-19...-STYLE-RING-/173437302575?hash=item2861ab372f

Fits round 4.75mm to 5mm $269 (but with that .43 round you’re at budget.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-AR...AL-FILIGREE-/401573407929?hash=item5d7fa3ecb9

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is better for the OP to start a new thread.
Whenever the title says "Tiffany" or "Robbins", people over-contribute.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander, What is the price on that oval diamond?

If it's in budget, that could be a GREAT solution. Brand new, halo and will look absolutely HUGE.
Edited to add: They have a store in Chicago. They could tell the judgy relatives "It's from a boutique in Chicago".

----
Honestly, at this point, it might make sense for someone to start a new thread for the OP. Sounds like he is super swamped with work and school and all of our suggestions. Does anyone feel like they can do an updated summary for him?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@davidorangecali - Can you confirm my summary/update?
  • Diamond (no CS or sims)
  • Round (other shapes?)
  • $1200, all in cash (layaway up $3000 max with the setting and center diamond)
  • open to pre-owed or new
  • halo (no soli or 3-stone); blingy social-media worthy look
  • delivered by Aug. 15
  • ring size 7 (??)
Can you share what large city you are near? Maybe there is a reputable pre-owed brick and mortar store someone can recommend.

OVAL. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NATURAL-OV...W-TIE-LOOSE-/173443519280?hash=item28620a1330 {$789}

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander that's what I have gathered as well up to this point. I think starting a new thread with that info at the top would be excellent.

For a blingy-looking halo style, how about one of these from Ivy and Rose:

1. I know 3-stones were previously axed, but what if its a halo 3-stone? This gives TONS of finger coverage. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1ctw-ROUND...380547?hash=item23a6ce1b03:g:B8MAAOSwVpRbPK4s

2. Another one with good finger coverage for the price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-CARAT-...288657?hash=item286215d091:g:k9QAAOSwTfdbPK4r

3. RIGHT at the max budget, but you can likely email/call them and negotiate a bit. LOVE how much bling you get for the buck here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-11ct-ROU...259323?hash=item23a6cc417b:g:b6UAAOSwleNbWFc~

4. Slightly smaller version of the above. https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCELLENT-...499895?hash=item5d7fc3d877:g:ne8AAOSwDw9bPKvQ

5. This will be a controversial suggestion, but a cluster style will give you lots of bling for the price (since smaller diamonds are less expensive than larger ones) https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25ct-DIA...200316?hash=item286223b9bc:g:9KUAAOSw2XFUb2ww

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
Just got home and have not caught up on all replies yet but I had a bit of a brainwave on my way home. Why not buy the setting from Rob Bros with the installment plan and buy a center stone separately! Does WF or JA have 100% upgrades if the settings aren't bought through them?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got home and have not caught up on all replies yet but I had a bit of a brainwave on my way home. Why not buy the setting from Rob Bros with the installment plan and buy a center stone separately! Does WF or JA have 100% upgrades if the settings aren't bought through them?
Yes, the upgrade policies are usually only on the diamond. WF also has some upgrade policies on certain settings.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly in your situation I would propose with a diamond wedding band. You can easily get a very respectable band (especially if you browse our preloved section) for less than 1k, much less if you want. Then you can pay cash. You know you want to marry her, and soon it sounds like. Propose with a band, a bigger diamond can come later.

LOVE this idea!!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This could be a good idea. You’ll get a MUCH better quality stone through WF than RB without a doubt.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock

Robbins Bros has a 60-day installment plan which is why I was looking at them in the first place.

@davidorangecali maybe you should get in touch with IDJewelry.com, give them your requirements and your timing and budget constraints and see what options they can come up with. Let them know you are looking for pricescope quality diamonds. Here is the link below of what they can find for you....
https://idjewelry.com/round-cut-3-stone-diamond-engagement-ring-in-0-55ctw-idj8821.html
That looks great!

Happy, I totally agree. But we have to consider his issue with the family. And that not everyone is a pser who wants a great stone. Most people who are not psers look at the overall ring and setting. We are a special breed. I think he came here to look for good deal on a new ring that shows his intended that he went all out. A preloved ring will not do that for her if she doesn’t know about it. It will never do it for his family. My Mexican family neices are so happy with their cluster rings from the mall and have no appreciation for my ring. I used to be like her in my younger years. My first marriage was all about the setting And place where he got it.
^This!

wow... I haven't even caught up to the post I made before I left work. I know people are mentioning that I should start a new thread. I think that would be best but I'm not sure about what the forums rules/etiquette is regarding multiple related threads.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Start a new thread. With a focus question.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, please start a new thread.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
new thread, with what you want and what you don't want, with timeline and budget overview. that should cover it ;-)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Robbins Bros has a 60-day installment plan which is why I was looking at them in the first place.

That looks great!

^This!

wow... I haven't even caught up to the post I made before I left work. I know people are mentioning that I should start a new thread. I think that would be best but I'm not sure about what the forums rules/etiquette is regarding multiple related threads.

Yes start a new thread. It is had to wade through all of the options you've been given and figure out what you have already decided against.

Good luck with your ring decision!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results