shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me not get screwed by robbins bros

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if an oval would work. My first solitaire was a 1/2ct oval and people always commented on how big it looked since it was an elongated stone.

Just a thought.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone, please listen to op before posting. He doesn't want a simple solitaire, and is likely sticking to preloved. He gave his top choices. Let's comment on those rather than overwhelming him with more options that don't fit what he wants.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is your girl ok with preloved?? Otherwise I wouldn’t do it. Family will not be happy. They will tell her you didn’t care enough. Get her on board. So you guys can both lie to the family. My Mexican friend went thru this too. Try Costco or Sam’s club. They have great options that will please her and fool the family.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone, please listen to op before posting. He doesn't want a simple solitaire, and is likely sticking to preloved. He gave his top choices. Let's comment on those rather than overwhelming him with more options that don't fit what he wants.
Thanks, I’m getting so confused lol.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its not so much that it has to be name brand but if it was a pre owned ring name recognition might alleviate some craziness honestly I don't care what they think but unfortunately my gf does despite them constantly putting her down.

I am thinking of possibly having a sit down and being up front with my gf.

A LOT of diamonds have a history and have been on someone else's finger at some point, then traded in/up. I don't see anything wrong with getting a great deal on a preloved ring with a center stone, and moving it into a brand new, affordable setting. (and I'm not saying this because of the ring I told you my GF is selling)

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK, so solitaire is out. Would you give thought to purchasing a stone from BN, a setting off ebay and have a local jeweler set it? If so, i have some setting suggestions, all that will fit around a .4ct stone and will proivide some bling and finger coverage, ranging from $145-$225.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so solitaire is out. Would you give thought to purchasing a stone from BN, a setting off ebay and have a local jeweler set it? If so, i have some setting suggestions, all that will fit around a .4ct stone and will proivide some bling and finger coverage, ranging from $145-$225.

OP needs it be Aug 15th as per his previous post. Would it be ready in time?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP needs it be Aug 15th as per his previous post. Would it be ready in time?

Found a few settings on MDZ on ebay. he'd have to be ready to move on them quickly and really, depends on how quickly a jeweler could set it. so it might put him in a time crunch.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My gosh, even I am so confused.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A LOT of diamonds have a history and have been on someone else's finger at some point, then traded in/up. I don't see anything wrong with getting a great deal on a preloved ring with a center stone, and moving it into a brand new, affordable setting. (and I'm not saying this because of the ring I told you my GF is selling)
Happy, I totally agree. But we have to consider his issue with the family. And that not everyone is a pser who wants a great stone. Most people who are not psers look at the overall ring and setting. We are a special breed. I think he came here to look for good deal on a new ring that shows his intended that he went all out. A preloved ring will not do that for her if she doesn’t know about it. It will never do it for his family. My Mexican family neices are so happy with their cluster rings from the mall and have no appreciation for my ring. I used to be like her in my younger years. My first marriage was all about the setting And place where he got it. I even ignored his sister’s good advice Bc she told us to do the preloved! She was not Mexican. Lol. God bless her. Wish I would have listened. But I didn’t know any better and I was letting my family’s values influence me. But at the time, I was ecstatic with my ring. Only felt regret after ps. When the marriage was over. Lol

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This will not arrive in the OPs preferred time frame.
He needs it by Aug 15 right? It would be tight but if the seller ships right away it should be able to make it. Might be too stressful to risk though.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @nala. Unless his intended is fully on board with pre-loved, I would not pursue that route.
I have many friends who would never entertain the idea of preloved engagement ring for various reasons. My own initial ring was a preloved heirloom and my own parents were very sceptical, so it can really be a cultural thing as well.

OP, why don’t you consider proposing without a ring and selecting one with your SO and maybe announcing it to the family afterwards? That way you can still have the mountain top experience without the need to get something on a super tight deadline and rush such an important decision.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
@davidorangecali maybe you should get in touch with IDJewelry.com, give them your requirements and your timing and budget constraints and see what options they can come up with. Let them know you are looking for pricescope quality diamonds. Here is the link below of what they can find for you....
https://idjewelry.com/round-cut-3-stone-diamond-engagement-ring-in-0-55ctw-idj8821.html
Also would you be open to a beautiful bands design like these below...
https://idjewelry.com/0-40-ct-diamond-band-set-in-14k-white-gold-r11216b-icsd.html
https://idjewelry.com/0-40-ct-diamond-band-set-in-14k-white-gold-r11220b-icsd.html
https://idjewelry.com/0-45-ct-diamo...es-set-in-14k-white-gold-r11794bswb-icsd.html

You have some amazing suggestions given by folks here..
Also check with them for financing options...

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
at this point I'd just suggest Robbins Bros, lol! It seems to tick all the boxes:
  • layaway/financing
  • name brand
  • lots of options (The one in Torrance is HUGE)
  • quick turnaround
  • new ring
(never thought I'd say that)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @nala. Unless his intended is fully on board with pre-loved, I would not pursue that route.
I have many friends who would never entertain the idea of preloved engagement ring for various reasons. My own initial ring was a preloved heirloom and my own parents were very sceptical, so it can really be a cultural thing as well.

OP, why don’t you consider proposing without a ring and selecting one with your SO and maybe announcing it to the family afterwards? That way you can still have the mountain top experience without the need to get something on a super tight deadline and rush such an important decision.

This. If my DH had bought me a pre loved ring, I would have kicked him to the curb. ESPECIALLY since I waited years for an engagement ring. (As she is)

If she is ok with it, than that obviously changes things.

Now I feel differently (I still don’t love pre loved things and I more or less see it as buying other people’s junk, like a garage sale... generally speaking). But back then, I would have taken it as a sign of indifference and him devaluing me.

@nala those cluster rings are very popular where I live and Op’s Lady might like one of those too. We just don’t know.

Last edited:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A third vote for going to Robbins Brother's under these circumstances.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No! I have to insist. Kevin jewelers! They have unbeatable prices and a great selection. Robbins bros is going to hose him!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@davidorangecali I also think you should go to Robbins Jewelers..mainly because it would be less stress for you and they have a payment plan. I would not do the pre-loved even though I’m very comfortable with buying pre-loved jewelery. I would get the one that looks the prettiest to you and fits your budget. Take it out in the sun after getting a sales person to go with you and their permission. It’s better to get it out away from their store lights. If you can get a picture of it and what the cut,clarity, and color is then please post a few on here and the people that know how to help you can help you pick the best one. Robbins will give you a pretty box with the jewelers name and it will present better than one you buy from eBay.
I’m not an experienced jeweler but I own quite a few rings. The only thing I would like to contribute is not to get anything with a pave setting. The stones tend to fall out and they are very expensive to replace constantly...unless the jeweler guarantees the replacements for free. This is an exciting time in your life. You sound like you will make a wonderful caring husband. She will treasure whatever ring you pick out for her because you’re doing it with love!

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Another vote against pre-loved in this situation. However, I would contact ID Jewelry before turning to Robbins Bros. My experience has been that web pricing is a little higher than what they quote if you contact IDJ directly.

Also, based on my own experience in this type of situation, more small diamonds will have a much better wow factor than looking for a larger center stone.

Btw. I had reason to check out mall jewelers about 6 months ago. Based on my PS research, mall pricing was about 4x IDJ pricing. So the mall could offer 50% off, and it would sound like a great deal. But you'd still be paying 2x more than necessary.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I agree with everyone else who says: go to a brick and mortar store. Pick something you think she'd like. Propose. Live happily ever after! <3

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I know that this is a diamond forum, but when my fiancé and I first started looking at diamonds, we had a much smaller budget and even had to work with @Wink with HPD to finally get the diamond we both loved and could eventually afford. We even had to pay for the custom setting in installments (pretty much a layaway) so that it wouldn’t eat up all of our credit. Not everyone can afford that gorgeous 3.5ct, D, FL and that is why this forum is considerate of peoples’ budgets.

I’ve read through some wonderful options, and considering your immediate financial situation and desire to propose in a few weeks, I just want to provide another alternative, which I’m sure won’t be to everyone’s liking, but something I seriously considered so that we wouldn’t go into debt and because my fiancé is Mexican, too (not meant to stereotype or offend).

We went back and forth for some time on whether to prioritize the setting or the diamond, meaning, where would most of our limited funds go. At some point, I was seriously considering getting a setting I’d love and matching it with a diamond simulant roughly the same size as the diamond I would eventually replace it with. And I knew that his family wouldn’t ask if it’s a diamond as long as it wasn’t overly humongous. Nor would they inquire on any of the other 4Cs, besides ct, which I wouldn’t need to lie about since all cut stones have a weight. And when we’d be able to save enough, I’d replace the simulant with the real deal and put the simulant into a plain solitaire as an everyday ring and to also commemorate the actual proposal without feeling bad about eventually upgrading the diamond (20 years later). In all honesty, I’m still considering a simulant as an everyday ring so that I don’t nick my ering with my various activities.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I know that this is a diamond forum, but when my fiancé and I first started looking at diamonds, we had a much smaller budget and even had to work with @Wink with HPD to finally get the diamond we both loved and could eventually afford. We even had to pay for the custom setting in installments (pretty much a layaway) so that it wouldn’t eat up all of our credit. Not everyone can afford that gorgeous 3.5ct, D, FL and that is why this forum is considerate of peoples’ budgets.

I’ve read through some wonderful options, and considering your immediate financial situation and desire to propose in a few weeks, I just want to provide another alternative, which I’m sure won’t be to everyone’s liking, but something I seriously considered so that we wouldn’t go into debt and because my fiancé is Mexican, too (not meant to stereotype or offend).

We went back and forth for some time on whether to prioritize the setting or the diamond, meaning, where would most of our limited funds go. At some point, I was seriously considering getting a setting I’d love and matching it with a diamond simulant roughly the same size as the diamond I would eventually replace it with. And I knew that his family wouldn’t ask if it’s a diamond as long as it wasn’t overly humongous. Nor would they inquire on any of the other 4Cs, besides ct, which I wouldn’t need to lie about since all cut stones have a weight. And when we’d be able to save enough, I’d replace the simulant with the real deal and put the simulant into a plain solitaire as an everyday ring and to also commemorate the actual proposal without feeling bad about eventually upgrading the diamond (20 years later). In all honesty, I’m still considering a simulant as an everyday ring so that I don’t nick my ering with my various activities.

I should also clarify a few things if you do consider this option:

1) consider a simulant with comparable size or dimensions as the diamond you plan to purchase later and based on your anticipated budget for the diamond

2) hopefully, this will alleviate some stress of looking for both a beautiful setting AND a diamond; now you can focus on just the setting

3) by allowing your gf to wear a simulant for sometime, she’ll be able to advise if the size of the eventual stone will suffice, or if she wants bigger (by patiently saving more $), but at the least, you’ll be engaged and hopefully planning a wedding

4) not all simulants are made equal just like not all XXX diamonds are super-Ideal. There are forums to help, but my personal experience is that choosing a simulant is less stressful and definitely less expensive

Again, this is my personal perspective and meant to help, not confuse, so I apologize in advance if I committed the later.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results