shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Find A Red Stone: A Red Spinel or A Ruby!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or, instead of plain strands of diamonds on yellow gold embracing the center oval red spinel, how about a mixture of diamonds and red stones? The main thing is that I want the strand of stones to be light on metal and just to hold the stone the way Tourmaline Lover's ring holds her stone in two xes. (If I go this route instead of sidestones.) I also want the stone separated from the sides. (Remember the airline thing?) I like the look of a pinched in center stone...as if someone pinched each side of it and then let it pouf out again into a jeweled band.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Attachments

• whitegoldrubyrings.bmp
    148.6 KB · Views: 308

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ABGF,
I believe my ring was based on a version of a Harry Winston ring with marquise X-design flanking the stone. I can't find a photo of the original HW ring, but this is similar. It's hard to find this design on the net.

j5134.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for posting the above picture, TL. I loved those Xes embracing the center stone!!! What if, leading up to xes, there was one, slender band instead of two and it had either diamonds that looked like the sapphires on the ring I posted above-little metal-or like the marquise diamonds alternating with rubies? Right now I am thinking I would like plain diamonds of a decent size-eternity ring size-then the xes. Then the center stone. Could that work?

Deb/AGBF

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1307293956|2938372 said:
Thanks so much for posting the above picture, TL. I loved those Xes embracing the center stone!!! What if, leading up to xes, there was one, slender band instead of two and it had either diamonds that looked like the sapphires on the ring I posted above-little metal-or like the marquise diamonds alternating with rubies? Right now I am thinking I would like plain diamonds of a decent size-eternity ring size-then the xes. Then the center stone. Could that work?

Deb/AGBF

I think this would be pretty with a single shank, and I would just do all white diamonds with it, and very delicate shank of round white diamonds. This will make the red pop even more I think.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL-

Your ring, as I said, was my introduction to the look of the Xes embracing the center stone, but I think I prefer to have it done with marquise stones rather than smaller stones. (Thank you for showing me the photo of how that was done by Harry Winston.) And I would like a shank that is not diamonds all the way around, certainly, but-where it is diamonds-that has very definite round diamonds with no metal showing. Maybe .33 pointers? Two or three on either side of the marquise Xes? Would I have room for that or would the jewels be going around the ring by then!!!???

Deb/AGBF

Attachments

• MintGarnetSetWithTwoXesByTourmalineLover.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 830

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1307332222|2938709 said:
Deb, you are reminding me of the Tiffany Victoria ring somewhat:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00230

Thank you so much, diamondseeker! I don't know if the image I copied (below) is the actual Tiffany ring or a copy, but I got it on Google Images because I couldn't copy the one to which you linked. I love it. Now I am obsessing about whether it is better, with an oval center stone, to have larger marquise stones on the side facing the stone, after all. (Is symmetry better, or is it better to draw the eye toward the center stone? After all, when I set a center stone with pears-my favorite way to set an oval to date-the pears go from narrow at the outer edges to fuller near the center stone. Why shouldn't the same principle apply with these Xes?)

Why am I so crazy? This is a ring, not my child's life!!!

Deb/AGBF

TiffanyVictoriaRing.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also love this! How can I have elements of this ring in mine?

Attachments

• TiffanyVictoriaBandRing.bmp
    148.1 KB · Views: 810

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any way to put my spinel into the band above without just sticking it in? Could it be put in in some very delicate, fairy-tale like way? Because I love that band ring. I just wouldn't know how to set a spinel in it without ruining its ethereal looks. Especially since I deliberately tried to get as large a spinel as I thought I could wear comfortably as a center stone. It seems silly to want it to disappear now! Maybe what I need is a matching band!!! (And some money!!!)

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the Victoria Alternating Ring by Tiffany. I think it gives more bang for the buck than the wider band because, although it appears smaller, the diamonds are actually larger. The marquise diamonds may be the same size in both rings (that would need to be checked), but the wider band has more platinum and pavé and the smaller band substitutes round brilliants for those. I would prefer round brilliants!

But if I were having a ring custom made, I wouldn't want my eye diverted by Xes anywhere except near the center stone. I wouldn't want a band with Xes and round stones going all around it and a spinel added. I think I'd do the spinel framed by marquise Xes (either symmetrical Xes or with longer sides on the stone side) and then do round brilliants of the sort used in the Victoria band by themselves on either side of each X. Which is what I said above when I mentioned stones of possibly .33 carats. (I have no idea what size were used in the Victoria band.)

I like to control my own quality diamonds anyway. If I have a ring custom made I can specify clarity and color.

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Attachments

• VictoriaAlternatingRing.bmp
    148.6 KB · Views: 803

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I had not seen the last one! That is beautiful, isn't it?!

I think one issue you will have to consider is that your oval is probably wider than the ring with the round aqua center, so I am not so sure the 2 x's on either side will work with your stone. That brings to mind Harriet's green stone that I think had 3 marquise on each side, and I did love that ring design.

I absolutely adore an oval with pear sides and agree that the fat end of the pear should sit next to the oval. But I am not sure that I feel the same way about marquise. I am trying to find some other rings with side marquise to look at.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, I did a quick photoshop job on this. But I think depending on who you have create the ring, it could work quite well in either direction.

To debusy it maybe less diamond x's maybe? Its not to scale so I think that having less of them will also allow you to move things around a bit.

-A

Tiffany-Victoria-Band-Ring-copy.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1307410084|2939465 said:
Deb, I did a quick photoshop job on this. But I think depending on who you have create the ring, it could work quite well in either direction.

To debusy it maybe less diamond x's maybe? Its not to scale so I think that having less of them will also allow you to move things around a bit.

-A
:love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:

I LOVE THAT!!!! :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1307329573|2938676 said:
TL-

Your ring, as I said, was my introduction to the look of the Xes embracing the center stone, but I think I prefer to have it done with marquise stones rather than smaller stones. (Thank you for showing me the photo of how that was done by Harry Winston.) And I would like a shank that is not diamonds all the way around, certainly, but-where it is diamonds-that has very definite round diamonds with no metal showing. Maybe .33 pointers? Two or three on either side of the marquise Xes? Would I have room for that or would the jewels be going around the ring by then!!!???

Deb/AGBF

Deb,
My ring is a horrible example next to all these finely crafted pieces. :oops: :knockout: I just wanted something to enjoy the stone in, and this fit the bill, for now. I may reset it in a better crafted ring at some point. I do love the design, and like you, I also prefer the marquises instead of smaller stones too.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1307408801|2939442 said:
Ohhh, pretend these are marquise and your stone in the middle! I love this!

http://singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=3&pID=867&startRow=10

Where's the photoshopper for this one? I want to draw it myself. But I have to get those marquise sidestones to the right size. Only Tourmaline Lover has the right size marquise stones up against her oval!!! Thanks diamondseeker, for finding that lovely ring! And thanks so very much, Arcadian, for the beautiful work with the large Victoria band!!!

Deb/AGBF

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem Deb. The singlestone setting is a tough one. If there's a straight on headshot somewhere it would be doable. I could certainly see that one set east/west versus north/south as you could get away with somewhat smaller marquis diamonds.

I'm wrapping up for the day so I'll give it a shot a bit later if I can find something similar.

-A

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1307479063|2940080 said:
No problem Deb. The singlestone setting is a tough one. If there's a straight on headshot somewhere it would be doable. I could certainly see that one set east/west versus north/south as you could get away with somewhat smaller marquis diamonds.

I'm wrapping up for the day so I'll give it a shot a bit later if I can find something similar.

-A

Arcadian-

I am not sure I can adjust to seeing E-W in a colored stone!!!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was printing out pictures of ring styles I liked for my red spinel, and I came across this picture. At first glance I thought that there were marquise stones set in the band, which is what caught my eye. When I realized there weren't any marquise stones, I thought that it might be possible to place some there!

What do you all think of setting the oval red spinel between two thin East-West marquise stones set in platinum that are very, very thin near the spinel and gradually taper out to the shank? Or maybe everything but the prongs could be yellow gold.

Give me some feedback, please! I think this appeals to me because it reminds me of my engagement ring (the original) and my solitaire (modelled after that).

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

AnIdealLook.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Did I hear E-W setting? Pears and marquis a la Oscar Heyman? heheheeheeeeee

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
arcadian, if i were ever to reset my spess, i'd think of your photoshopped tiffany!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I should start a new thread since this one is as old as the hills, but this one has something no other thread would have: continuity!

As some of you may know, Andrey has, most generously given me a $1,000.00 gift to spend with any Pricescope vendor. I actually never spent the $100.00 he gave me when I hit 10,000 postings, so I have what seems to me a huge amount of money to spend right now. Naturally, I would like to spend it on setting this red spinel, and the first step, it seems to me, is going to be to buy the diamond sidestones with which to set it!

I started to look at marquise stones, thinking I might want to put eight of them together-four on either side of my spinel. I then was unsure of how my stone would look, however. I know how it would look with pears. So I started to look at pears. I would want D colored pear sidestones in VS clarity and good cut. The only catch is that I think pears would look best if they were plump...and I don't know if plump pears are well cut pears. If not, the ring would have to be designed to give it the appearance of plumpness where the pear would be....

That is where I am now.

Deb/AGBF

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb,
Why not chose a jeweller who also has a good eye for find ideal cut pears with the best light return to do the job? It seems like such a PITA to have to find 2 pairs of pears, not to mention having to have them have the same "plumpness" and making sure they right for the design.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1311165554|2972861 said:
Why not chose a jeweller who also has a good eye for find ideal cut pears with the best light return to do the job? It seems like such a PITA to have to find 2 pairs of pears, not to mention having to have them have the same "plumpness" and making sure they right for the design.

Chrono-

I was misleading. I apologize. I skipped explaining some vital steps that had taken place in my head. When I looked at the marquise stones with an eye to having to buy eight of them, not knowing how my red stone would even look set with them, my courage at using the design began to fail me. I started to wonder if my chance to use what is, for me, a "big' red stone would be wasted with the design I had been planning to use. I wondered if I should not return to my original idea of having an oval center stone flanked by two diamond pear sidestones in a very traditional setting. That is, originally, what I had planned. The "plump" pears would be the two pear sidestones.

Deb/AGBF

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of ovals with pears!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, also, always liked the look of a colored oval center stone flanked by clear diamond sidestones. The only question, if I go that route, would be the design of thre ring (something very simple) and the size of the pears. I know I want D color and VS clarity and well cut stones. I put up some photos of rings with colored oval center stones and pear sidestones below. One is a ring of my own, the tanzanite. One is Jessica Simpson's (the huge one!).

I just wanted a conversation starter...and I kind of like all the rings I put up on the screen, too.

Deb/AGBF

ExampleRubyPearsRing1.jpg

ExampleRubyPearsRing2.jpg

BlueOvalWithSidePears.jpg

jessica-simpson-engagement-ring.jpg

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that I like the proportions of the Tanzanite ring with pear side stones... Just my 2 cents.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like something slightly different, how about a 5 stone ring with side diamonds like TGal's Leon padparadscha ring?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results