shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Design Custom Stud Settings Please!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Does this work? Looks like there are only three prongs, but the sides/base are not martini... fun project!

Edit: I’m sure your larger studs would need a larger and flatter “base” near the skin... maybe also jumbo backs instead of la Pousette? I am still learning how to use my La Pousettes—I’ve dropped them a couple of times, but thankfully not the diamonds!

These look like they would work

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
D0A03056-894E-4C59-BF88-C5301AAC3A26.jpeg 7AA6BB53-5E57-4DBF-A778-7FA9B5B7A0DE.jpeg I have the mountings in the first image with screw backs...2.53ct total weight. Love them. A good friend has the style in the second image with 6.4ct total weight and they do not droop.

These are great settings

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, how exciting! What beautiful stones. I can’t wait to see the finished project.

For inspiration: I think @yssie ’s Erika Winters studs are the most gorgeous settings ever. They are not six prong, but oh, the lines and the precision. Simply stunning.

Those are to die for settings

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@donnabrsd @diamondseeker2006 @munchee
For gold (18k or 14k) I LOVE these!!

They come in white and yellow gold (no pink unfortunately), with 8mm or 10mm pads. They’re light for what they are (jumbo heavyweight backs), they grip posts like vices, and the *best* part - the pad is a touch concave, so you don’t have to shove the stud on nearly as tight to get the lift effect!!

I use these for all my non-platinum and non-RG studs. I LOVE them. Have I mentioned?

Hi Yssie,

I'm thinking about ordering some of these backs and had a couple questions.

They come in 14K Palladium White and 18K White. Do you know what the difference in color is between these two? Which one would look more like platinum?

Other than a slight visual difference in color, would there be any practical reason to not combine a white gold or palladium back with a platinum setting?

Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Yssie,

I'm thinking about ordering some of these backs and had a couple questions.

They come in 14K Palladium White and 18K White. Do you know what the difference in color is between these two? Which one would look more like platinum?

Other than a slight visual difference in color, would there be any practical reason to not combine a white gold or palladium back with a platinum setting?

Thanks!
I wouldn’t use a platinum post and a non-platinum earnut - I would worry about uneven or unpredictable wear, and it wouldn’t be mind clean for me. I would match metal on post and earring back (regardless of what metal the earring basket is made from).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A = Platinum
B = Rhodium plated WG
C = 18k WG: https://www.stuller.com/products/24...yId=18906&recommendationSource=CategoryBrowse
D = 14k YG: https://www.stuller.com/products/24...yId=18906&recommendationSource=CategoryBrowse
E = 18k YG: https://www.stuller.com/products/24...yId=18906&recommendationSource=CategoryBrowse

I don't have their 14k WG. I don't know if the 14k WG is a palladium alloy and the 18k WG does not have palladium, or if the 18k WG is also a palladium alloy and the listing just doesn't state that explicitly... Given the colour of my 18k WG, my suspicion would be that it's not a palladium alloy.

7741FFC6-5D61-421E-B588-37493D1DDD65.jpeg
09323306-B4CB-4D14-8242-3F26FCEC0DA0.jpeg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
A = Platinum
B = Rhodium plated WG
C = 18k WG: https://www.stuller.com/products/24...yId=18906&recommendationSource=CategoryBrowse
D = 14k YG: https://www.stuller.com/products/24...yId=18906&recommendationSource=CategoryBrowse
E = 18k YG: https://www.stuller.com/products/24...yId=18906&recommendationSource=CategoryBrowse

I don't have their 14k WG. I don't know if the 14k WG is a palladium alloy and the 18k WG does not have palladium, or if the 18k WG is also a palladium alloy and the listing just doesn't state that explicitly... Given the colour of my 18k WG, my suspicion would be that it's not a palladium alloy.

7741FFC6-5D61-421E-B588-37493D1DDD65.jpeg
09323306-B4CB-4D14-8242-3F26FCEC0DA0.jpeg

Thank you. This is very helpful!

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
After a year of saving and planning, I now have two spectacular diamonds for stud earrings! They are a marriage of our beloved vendors, Whiteflash and HPD.

The diamonds are in temporary settings and I need your help in designing their forever settings pretty please!

The diamonds are: CBI 1.89 E VS1 and ACA 1.82 E VS1.

Temporary settings: 3 prong martini settings with la pousette-style backs. While I LOVED those settings for my previous 2 ctw studs, I do not like them at all for my 3.71 ctw studs. These temporary settings flop around in my ear, even when the back is pushed up firmly against my earlobe. My guess is that diamonds just shy of 2 cts are too deep for martini style and I'll need to design a basket setting with a large, flat base.

Does anyone have any designs that they've used and can share with me? I won't copy yours, I promise. I'd just like to have an idea to start with and then tweak it to suit my own aesthetic.

I want something with elegant lines, but minimal flourishes, just let the diamonds be the stars. I want the studs to have a low profile, to sit as low to my skin as possible (I don't want them raised out from my lobe too much.)

I like 6 prongs because I worry 4 prongs will give a square appearance, and 8 prongs will be too much metal on this size diamond.

Any other advice you can share would be appreciated. I'd love to see profile images of your studs!

Thank you!

CBI ACA Studs small.jpg

These are absolutely beautiful. I can’t wait to see finalized results

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:Hi RunningwithScissors!
I hope I'm not too late to the fabulous earrings 2B party.
Just my two cents on large studs.. just realized what a funny sentence that is.:lol:
I have had my diamond studs (2.25 ct each set in platinum) for the last 15 years and have worn them without any problem. I have been totally happy with the large push backs as they have never come loose and are easy to put on and take off. I had screwbacks on an older smaller pair and they were brutal on the holes. I also have a pair of drop earrings with the backs that you squeeze and I have found them impossible to work. Just my two cents. I'm sure whatever you pick you will just LOVE!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 49

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
:wavey:Hi RunningwithScissors!
I hope I'm not too late to the fabulous earrings 2B party.
Just my two cents on large studs.. just realized what a funny sentence that is.:lol:
I have had my diamond studs (2.25 ct each set in platinum) for the last 15 years and have worn them without any problem. I have been totally happy with the large push backs as they have never come loose and are easy to put on and take off. I had screwbacks on an older smaller pair and they were brutal on the holes. I also have a pair of drop earrings with the backs that you squeeze and I have found them impossible to work. Just my two cents. I'm sure whatever you pick you will just LOVE!!!

Thank you Rubies-R-Me! It is so helpful and fun to see everyone's photos of their settings.

LOL @ "large studs"... unnamed.png

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@RunningwithScissors - saw these CVB settings and thought of you, I know you would want to modify to a six-prong version and have the base be open and not solid:

1617373705351.png

FYI - Caysie adapted this into a ring for me - I have a 2.1 AVR. Open bottom. Even with 8 prongs it's very delicate. I agree that it probably can be modified into 6 prongs.

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say this is such a fantastic trove of pictures, information and opinions about settings for larger studs! This is like an unofficial “show me your diamond stud settings” thread!

I can’t wait to see your studs once they are finished, there’s no doubt in my mind they will be impeccably exquisite!

idealw2boys

Shiny_Rock
@RunningwithScissors ,
Sounds like you’ve got a lot of good detailed advice and are narrowing down your options.

So happy for your journey. I remember you talking about taking your time to find the right stones.

Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Your stones are a very nice statement making size and are beautiful!!

If you want more styles to look at, here are mine . They are 2.15 tcw F SI set in 4 prong classic style low set in platinum with a large ( not quite jumbo backs) and feel very secure, though I’ve only worn them less than a dozen times since wfh during the pandemic.

D2FEF5DE-6584-45CF-8419-D6A602D33DE7.jpeg

Attachments

• C3C32A07-3BC3-4148-BAD6-A7BAFDEC6896.jpeg
    C3C32A07-3BC3-4148-BAD6-A7BAFDEC6896.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 128
  • FE644F2D-FE4E-4B6C-8C34-9BBA48417563.jpeg
    FE644F2D-FE4E-4B6C-8C34-9BBA48417563.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 119

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@RunningwithScissors ,
Sounds like you’ve got a lot of good detailed advice and are narrowing down your options.

So happy for your journey. I remember you talking about taking your time to find the right stones.

Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Your stones are a very nice statement making size and are beautiful!!

If you want more styles to look at, here are mine . They are 2.15 tcw F SI set in 4 prong classic style low set in platinum with a large ( not quite jumbo backs) and feel very secure, though I’ve only worn them less than a dozen times since wfh during the pandemic.

D2FEF5DE-6584-45CF-8419-D6A602D33DE7.jpeg

Beautiful! I hope you get to wear them more this year, they look lovely on you.

Thanks for sharing the images.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I've received my WF CAD images for my earring reset. The CADs look good to my eye, but this is the first time I've ever done custom earrings so I'm feeling nervous. Can you guys look at it for me and let me know if you see anything I should tweak? Thank you! @diamondseeker2006 @yssie

They are based on @donnabrsd earrings (thanks for letting me use them!)

The metal will be platinum and have claw prongs.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.59.35 AM.png

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have a question for you all. Does the metal look too thick on the sides that form the U pattern? (I'm sorry I don't know the correct terminology for this part of the setting.) If I ask WF to make this area thinner, would it post a stability risk?

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your new studs. Just now seeing this thread. I like the 6 prong martini. Mine are 3 prong and I’m considering changing as they have stretched my hole a bit

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those sharp edges of the Us will be rounded out somewhat, so they won’t look as bulky! Those areas that you’re pointing to, where it looks like two arms of adjacent Us are side by side to form the single prong, I’d double check that with WF. Here is my original CAD - mine does show a clear single prong. Mine was a custom design though, so it could have just been a fancier CAD pic (and the end result of your CAD and my CAD is the same)!!

78488CD6-6422-4979-99E6-8CC08A43468C.png
EEF299D1-B5BC-426F-BB9F-AE485165762B.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CADs are always a little bulkier than the final product. Mine looked very similar other than these are straight prongs and mine were slightly curved. I think these look great!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Those sharp edges of the Us will be rounded out somewhat, so they won’t look as bulky! Those areas that you’re pointing to, where it looks like two arms of adjacent Us are side by side to form the single prong, I’d double check that with WF. Here is my original CAD - mine does show a clear single prong. Mine was a custom design though, so it could have just been a fancier CAD pic (and the end result of your CAD and my CAD is the same)!!

78488CD6-6422-4979-99E6-8CC08A43468C.png
EEF299D1-B5BC-426F-BB9F-AE485165762B.png

Thanks Yssie. Yes, the sides of the Us in my CADs look wider than yours, so I'll double check that they are indeed singles and its just the CADs making them look bulky.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
CADs are always a little bulkier than the final product. Mine looked very similar other than these are straight prongs and mine were slightly curved. I think these look great!

Thanks Diamondseeker! I don't know why I'm so nervous about this project, but I am! :)

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I have a question for you all. Does the metal look too thick on the sides that form the U pattern? (I'm sorry I don't know the correct terminology for this part of the setting.) If I ask WF to make this area thinner, would it post a stability risk?

The thickness of the metal in your CADs looks similar to my earring CADs and my daughter-in-laws CADs, but our finished earrings look much thinner. @yssie 's finished earrings do look thinner than mine.

My earrings feel pretty durable so I think a tad thinner would not pose a stability issue.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've received my WF CAD images for my earring reset. The CADs look good to my eye, but this is the first time I've ever done custom earrings so I'm feeling nervous. Can you guys look at it for me and let me know if you see anything I should tweak? Thank you! @diamondseeker2006 @yssie

They are based on @donnabrsd earrings (thanks for letting me use them!)

The metal will be platinum and have claw prongs.

Oh my! Those are going to be STUNNING!! So fancy yet so wearable.. great choice!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
The thickness of the metal in your CADs looks similar to my earring CADs and my daughter-in-laws CADs, but our finished earrings look much thinner. @yssie 's finished earrings do look thinner than mine.

My earrings feel pretty durable so I think a tad thinner would not pose a stability issue.

Thanks! This is good information. :)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh my! Those are going to be STUNNING!! So fancy yet so wearable.. great choice!

Thanks Rubies! I can't wait to have them in my ears!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results