shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose please!

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! This is my very first post! I can't believe I've lived my life this long without knowing about this forum!!! In advance I'd like to say thank you for all advice, it will be greatly appreciated!!

So here is the deal, I am upgrading my engagement ring and my budget is 50k... I have a diamond on hold at James Allen https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/4.02-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1861651 They have had it inspected in NY by a gemologist who says its fluorescence does not cause any negative effects and in facts lifts the brilliance and makes it appear more white. My next choice is at a jeweler in NY. Unfortunately I am not in NY so I do not have any pictures just the GIA report and their word. It is a G color and I'll quote them "Triple Excellent Hearts and Arrows diamond, meaning it is cut to perfection with great proportions. If you follow the HCA tool, you can see that it scores really well on HCA 1.9 is the score." They also call in a SI2+ and say that the inclusion is on the side and it would be rather inconspicuous in the setting. I'm going to attach the GIA report...

So guys what do you think? If I had to pick today I would probably go for the G color because I desperately want something whiter with more sparkle than my current, but by all means I am no expert!

Attachments

• 1159439298.pdf
    702 KB · Views: 102

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! Congrats on your upgrade! First thing, is that I would NOT be spending that kind of money without any images. If the James Allen stone is in the NY office, request an IS. It looks really nice and does have very safe numbers, which is a good thing. Also confirm

Secondly, for the G, SI2...that vendor needs to get you an image and an IS or ASET. 36 is a high crown angle and though it compliments the shallower pavilion angle of 40.6, the light return needs to be confirmed through IS/ASET. Also, the bigger the stone, the easier it is to spot inclusions in them. Ask what their definition is of eye clean (6, 8, 10 inches away?). And I would double check the effects of the medium florescence with the twinning wisps. That combination can sometimes cause a hazy looking effect.

To answer your question, if you had to choose between both of those choices right this second, I would choose the JA stone because we have a visual, it's cleaner and it has safer numbers.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I'm a little lost on the terminology though :( What is an IS and ASET? Is it a number that confirms light return? And I will ask for a picture and ask more about the fluorescence and definition of eye clean. Its at ID Jewelry which I found through this forum. So far they have been really helpful so I hope they can get me this info! Sorry for being such a newbie!

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Okay from looking up a few things real quick this must be the ASET that you are talking about. It is from James Allen of the I colored diamond.

1861651.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries!! Ahh, you're in great hands with IDJ - I worked with them on my upgrade, too! They have the imaging setup so just ask Yekutiel for the diamond, IS (ideal scope) and ASET images (against both white and black background). These images will be able to tell us more about the light return of the stone and whether it has any leakage (further reading below).

http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/about-aset.htm

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

They may be able to also call in the JA stone if it's in NY and compare the two.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifee|1469480567|4059203 said:
Okay from looking up a few things real quick this must be the ASET that you are talking about. It is from James Allen of the I colored diamond.

That is an ideal scope, not an ASET. It does show great light return (pretty solid red throughout) with just a touch of lighter red that won't be perceivable to the naked eye. GREAT stone!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have to choose between just those 2? Cos to my mind there is quite a range of colour and clarity between them. What do you have in your ER currently?

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
So I had 3 on hold at JA and narrowed it down to that one and then the other one was recommended to me because I felt that I might like something better than an I color. Currently i have a 2.22 old european cut, VG cut, k color VVS2. So regardless almost anything is an upgrade.... hehe. But then you start looking into things and comparing and get something set in your mind of what you want! haha! I'm sure I'd be happy with any upgrade but its my personality to be a maximizer.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
IDJ should be able to provide images and aset so you can see how well the cut on this diamond is and how it will reflect light. May I ask why are you choosing a diamond with fluorescence?
I think you should ask Yekutiel for other diamonds w/o fluorescence just to compare and there are a lot of diamonds he has access to, I am sure he can pick another for you.
with your budget of 50k I would also ask Yekutiel to see other diamonds with your requirements.
IDJ picked my round and it is a fireball.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
I don't think I mind the fluorescence. I've looked at ones with and with out and so far its not a big issue for me and I've found that for my budget it works for me to be more flexible on it. I talked at length this morning with Tammy, Yekutiel's wife about the diamond and she said its really an amazing diamond and fits what I want for color and cut which are at the top of my list for most important. They sent me these two images this morning and are working on a video of the diamond to send me so I can see how it preforms. So I'll wait for that to see if it is what I'm looking for. Thank you for the advice, if it doesn't look good I will definitely ask them to look for another!

hearts_5.jpg

arrows_4.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW Jennifee!!! :wavey:

IDJ must be cultivating a unicorn farm!!! They found you an eye clean SI-2, too?!?!?!?! :appl: :appl: :appl: I'm also getting an eye-clean SI-2, with a prongable boogie (white inclusion) from them. I love these unicorn SI-2! I can't wait to hear the feedback on the video.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
In the video the diamond looks great! I really love how well its cut! It looks perfect! I wish I could upload the video but its too big :( I'm thinking of having it set in rose gold like this one they did with a smaller diamond. https://www.instagram.com/p/_5nvZQudSO/?taken-by=idjewelry They would need to modify it a little for a 4ct. At first I thought I definitely wanted plat because thats just the classic and what I've always had but at the moment I'm crushing pretty hard on the rose gold. :love: Also I figure its just the setting and if i decide I don't love it in a year or so its not hard to change. But right now I feel it would be nice to be different.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifee|1469554402|4059468 said:
In the video the diamond looks great! I really love how well its cut! It looks perfect! I wish I could upload the video but its too big :( I'm thinking of having it set in rose gold like this one they did with a smaller diamond. https://www.instagram.com/p/_5nvZQudSO/?taken-by=idjewelry They would need to modify it a little for a 4ct. At first I thought I definitely wanted plat because thats just the classic and what I've always had but at the moment I'm crushing pretty hard on the rose gold. :love: Also I figure its just the setting and if i decide I don't love it in a year or so its not hard to change. But right now I feel it would be nice to be different.
OH - I didn't refresh before posting and am seeing this now!!! YAY!!!!

Rose gold sounds lovely!!! I wish it looked good on me. ;(

Q

Queenie60

Jennifee - so glad you're working with IDJ - just another thumbs up on them. Excellent customer service - honest and will go out of their way to please you. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1469555604|4059474 said:
Jennifee|1469554402|4059468 said:
OH - I didn't refresh before posting and am seeing this now!!! YAY!!!!

Rose gold sounds lovely!!! I wish it looked good on me. ;(

I don't know if rose gold looks really good on me either but I wear a lot of mixed golds and sometimes I think the platinum makes my skin look ashy and a little sickly especially during winter.

2016-07-26.jpg

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Queenie60|1469557697|4059497 said:
Jennifee - so glad you're working with IDJ - just another thumbs up on them. Excellent customer service - honest and will go out of their way to please you. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Yes they are so great! I really enjoyed talking to Tami on the phone this morning!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great picture of the mix of metals against your skin! Rose gold looks VERY VERY pretty on you!!! :love: :love: :love:

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I am way over due for a mani but here is a pic of them in the sun light by the window. I love how feminine RG is.

img_20160726_111505464_hdr.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty!! It's going to be one STUNNING ring!! :love:

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I'm very excited! I put a deposit on it because amazingly after I posted about it here they got an influx of calls about that specific diamond! Ahem. lol. Its mine! :dance:

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Jenn,
Glad your happy and its yours! I think Rose Gold would look great on you too!
Now I cannot wait to see the finished ring. Please make sure you post pics, I know IDJ will post pics on Instagram when it is completed.
Tammy is great to deal with also, so you are in good hands.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Madison2|1469580713|4059676 said:
Jenn,
Glad your happy and its yours! I think Rose Gold would look great on you too!
Now I cannot wait to see the finished ring. Please make sure you post pics, I know IDJ will post pics on Instagram when it is completed.
Tammy is great to deal with also, so you are in good hands.

Thank you! I will definitely post pics when its done! So far I'm in the early stages and can't decide if I want to go for a solitaire 6 prong or more of a cathedral style... Decisions decisions! :confused:

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1469640450|4059878 said:
IDJ sells a lot of vatche!! How about cathedral AND six prong? Ask IDJ if this comes in rose gold (if you fancy it! I :love: it!)
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/felicity-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1649.htm

That is really nice! I really like all the designs vatche makes especially the classic U113. Which was originally what I thought I wanted when I first dreamed of upgrading.... But I just don't think its me. I think I would miss the sparkle on the band. I did find this one that I really like too. https://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Kate-Ring-with-Crown-Basket-540.htm# and am going to ask IDJ if they could do something similar in RG.... I think I need to spend some time trying on settings to see what I like.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Jennifee|1469682125|4060121 said:
I almost forgot to share that IDJ did a youtube video of my diamond! :love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLY5BVgmdjU
Beautiful diamond!
Hard to believe its an SI2. But then I know Idj, has a gift for picking out great diamonds that dont show inclusions with the naked eye. Great job!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes that's a gorgeous diamond!! It's so big it's like a sugar cube!!!! Don't accidentally drop that diamond into your coffee, Jennifee!!!!! :dance:

That ring you like is very pretty. It's very doable - just ask for a channel set band and a trellis head yAY! :appl:

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
I know it looks really good! When I was on the phone with Tami she said that you had to look pretty hard to see the the black spot with the bulk of them being on one side and the other few being very hard to see especially because it preforms so well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results