shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Choose a Setting

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back looking for settings that are at least 10.5mm wide, for a 9.2mm stone. How realistic is that sizing?

You mean: can a setting meant for a 10.5 mm stone be adjusted for a 9.2 mm one ?
I'd say, this depends a great deal on the model & the way it is made ... Best ask the relevant bench jeweler with the setting in hand.

2c

-
Another thought: how about side-stones ? - rather than halo or an upgrade.

The diamond seems too beautiful to leave behind !

(I would have voted Jovyn among the solitaires - it seems the most classical to me.)

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm still working on this project . . . how about the Victor Canera
Halo Solitaire with Lotus Profile?
Halo with Lotus Profile  1.jpg Halo with Lotus Profile  2.jpg Halo with Lotus Profile  3.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor’s halo’s are gorgeous and this design is absolutely divine.

Are you sure you are into halos? Have you already tried halo rings on your own hand?

For the solitaires I love the Margot and the VC solitaires.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure I'm into any style in particular. I've had a couple of them.

129 EM A.jpg
161r1800f.jpg
2.01ct Fancy Yellow Pear Ring.jpg

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am into the idea of a fancy undergallery lately. Here's a shot of Art Nouveau's ring.

img_3971_s-jpg.138762

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another from Dongela.

06-dsc09451-jpg.347921

P

PierreBear

All of the options you shared are beautiful in their own way. Perhaps try to narrow it down into categories first? Plain shank or not? Halo or not? Or perhaps try to figure out what is most important to you. It seems like finger coverage is important so that might mean that doing a halo would be your best option. Good luck and don't think you can go wrong with the settings you showed already!

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
La La Anthony's ring (a little too high but otherwise I love it)

La+La+Anthony+Wedding+Rings+Engagement+Ring+jxznUDSjGQ6l.jpg

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Acinom, for your question about whether I am really into halos; and PierreBear, for pointing out that I should figure out what is most important to me. So here it is . . . I want something larger than my current engagement ring. My engagement ring was made with three really nice high color high clarity diamonds (it's in my avatar). Now I'm looking for something of size. I have a 9.2mm J color stone to set, or alternatively, to sell. I don't even really need it but it fell into my lap at a decent price.

2.88ct J/SI1 (AGS)
9.14mm x 9.25mm x 5.42mm
59% depth, 54% table
Faint blue fluorescence

IMG_1912.PNG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This type WWW ? You would end near 15 mm ...

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I can't comment on the settings.

But regarding any stone you buy: Please ask yourself if it has caught your heart.

I only ask because from your post it sounded like you are chosing with your brain-- because something is a good deal-- rather than because it speaks to your heart. And it certainly sounds like you are investing a lot of time, money and attention into this project and I wanted to just raise my hand and say-- it might be a good idea to live with any diamond for a few days (within the return policy) and see what you feel-- not what you think. See how they play with the light. What their moods are like. Since you are looking at fancies.

One of my good friends just went through several diamond/setting changes and honestly ALL the rings were GLORIOUS from top PS vendors and craftsman. Two of them in particular I tried on and I didn't want to give back! I mean seriously amazing rings. But none of them caught her heart and so she sold/returned them all and is now taking her time to make sure the next one is based on her heart.

A poster on these boards I loved MsSalvo used to say, "A deal isn't a deal unless you get exactly what you want."

I just want to make sure you are 100% happy with your next ring.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love you guys; you make me connect to my heart instead of trying to think it out logically. :geek2:

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be in NYC this weekend. Any place you think I should go, in particular, in the diamond district? I could make an appointment for Monday to look at settings. Thoughts?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring I have posted was made there.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be in NYC this weekend. Any place you think I should go, in particular, in the diamond district? I could make an appointment for Monday to look at settings. Thoughts?
You could call Steven Kirsch and see if you can make an appointment. His settings are amazing.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There was an antique repro ring, I remember now, that I had briefly and then put on consignment because it was really tight but I was too afraid to size it for fear of ruining the piercing and intricate details. It was a pear ring but I really missed it after it was gone. Here she is:

Vintage Style 1.88ct Pear Ring.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^wow!!

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Casablanca with a fitted band

Casablanca with Band.jpg

Attachments

• Casablanca with Band.jpg
    Casablanca with Band.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 11

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Casablanca Solitaire R0159 in rose gold, looks quite different than the preceding two pics with a split shank, double prongs, and halo that sits at the girdle instead of surrounding the top of the diamond.

ring-casablanca-solitaire-rose-gold-diamonds-flower-steven-kirsch-1.png

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Steven Kirsch's ring made for Scarlett1

Steven-Kirsch-yellow-diamond-ring-Scarlett1.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still working on this project . . . how about the Victor Canera
Halo Solitaire with Lotus Profile?
Halo with Lotus Profile  1.jpg Halo with Lotus Profile  2.jpg Halo with Lotus Profile  3.jpg

This is one of my favorite VC Emilyas! The gallery looks like it was made for royalty!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about doing a setting like this VC, but making a pseudo-bezel with super fine prongs to make the OEC more "cushiony" -- like this:
VC_FChalo_2.jpg

Original:
VC_FChalo_1.jpg

The airline halo would give some serious finger coverage and staying true to period. I may be waaaay off here, but I'm a sucker for this setting! ;-)

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My trip to NYC was cancelled. Ugh!!! Thank you, msop04, Octo2005, valeria101, LaylaR and ringo865 for your comments and suggestions!

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
i was just going to suggest... since you have so many wonderful styles that caught your eye a bit but aren't quite right.... would it make sense to do what some others have done? Give the inspiration to someone like a Steven Kirsh, Leon, show them all these rings.. and let them create something unique just for you? You have to have that moment of caught breath... it has to be "meant for you"..... and yes, I associate way too much emotion into jewelry.. I know.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How about something completely different? Instead of a halo with diamonds, engraving?

Bertie 1.jpg Bertie 2.jpg

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
One more from CvB

Bertie 3.jpg

Attachments

• Bertie 3.jpg
    Bertie 3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 21

Mikla

Shiny_Rock