shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, looking for 2.0 carat square radiant or princess with halo setting

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys,

Looking to get engaged next year, and I've already gone out shopping with the SO for some styles she might like. She's settled on a single halo with maybe half or 2/3 pave with a square radiant or princess cut. I know the facets are very different with the two, but she loves them both.

I've been looking around JA and Whiteflash, but really hard to determine a good cut. I know you gotta look more at dimensions then carat weight with fancy cuts, that true? I'd still like to get between a 2.0 to 2.1 for her though. And then perhaps send it to SK for a beautiful halo ring.

The radiant really needs to be a square though. Ratio between 1 and 1.03.

Thoughts on this?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/2.00-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-268080

Any suggestions lovely members?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See if you can get an aset image for it. It looks like it is going to be a little leaky although I find the faceting pattern to be very pretty. It has a nice high
crown too.

Edit...Can she do a square cushion? Bigger, cost less, and has a similar faceting pattern under the table.
Of course the outline is different but thought it might be an option since she likes "square stones".
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C201-36Z864920?

Last edited:

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

Thanks for some of the suggestions, I've reached out to David already to see what he can find me.
I think she is more favoring the radiant cuts, so a square cushion would work as well. As we've seen those and they have a relatively similar faceting pattern. That square cushion is quite beautiful. Although I've never heard of enchanted diamonds.

She is set on the square shape though, so that last radiant wouldn't work, although yes quite beautiful.

Reactions: AV_

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I also prefer @tyty333's...VS2 with bigger spread.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
The advice above is great. On price scope I have come across the "original radiant cut" vendor ...
Now as this vendor is less mentioned than say diamonds by Lauren, he may not be as excellent. No idea though.

Nonetheless, if you just want to search even just to see what you like vs don't like :

http://www.radiantcut.com/c/shop---diamonds-411?Filters=Carat=1.97-2.11

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
@JDDN Thanks for the suggestions. That first one is a great price, not sure if it's eye clean though being SI2. Maybe I'll ask JA.

The heart and Arrows one would be my second favorite, just beautiful.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The first 2 have large pieces of carbon under the table which wont be eye-clean (IMO). The F is well, sort of ok. I would request and aset on it.
I dont think the light return will be all that great.

Do any of the stones JDDN posted appeal to you? There are some nice cushions and a couple of radiants that look like they have decent light return.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@JDNN those are nice and good prices.

@ProfYY I there is too much carbon in the first two and the last one I suspect will be a disappointing in terms of performance

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
The first 2 have large pieces of carbon under the table which wont be eye-clean (IMO). The F is well, sort of ok. I would request and aset on it.
I dont think the light return will be all that great.

Do any of the stones JDDN posted appeal to you? There are some nice cushions and a couple of radiants that look like they have decent light return.

By the way, thank you everyone for the suggestions and replies. Narrowing it down now.

Well the first one JDDN posted has a very attractive price. Although I'm assuming it might be due to the SI2 clarity, so not sure if it's eye clean. If it was then its definitely considerably. Great size too. Looks like good specs for cut, some faint fluoro, but doubt that would matter much right? What are you thoughts on this one? It just seems too good for the price.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-5802573

The other one I love is the heart and arrows JDDN posted, also a great price. Great specs too.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-6024597

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
Thinking of VC, SK or Leon for the Halo setting, I guess I can't go wrong with any of them. But I might be able to avoid some taxes with VC who's based in Cali.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@ProfYY awesome! Are you certain she would like a cushion in the end? Just as you mentioned she wanted radiant or princess.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of VC, SK or Leon for the Halo setting, I guess I can't go wrong with any of them. But I might be able to avoid some taxes with VC who's based in Cali.

Unless you have a very very clear message on what she wants for the design and all the details (height off hand, shank, flush band or not...I'd recommend against any full custom setting. I would suggest proposing with a solitaire and let her be in on the custom designed setting. Custom is hard and involves a lot of details and decisions. It can involve a lot of money and then, what if it is not what she wants.

If you have utter clarity on the design (not just "I'd love anything"...that is generally not really true but driven by modesty or a discomfort as asking for what she really wants), then any of the vendors you list would be great. I'd also recommend getting a quote from HighPerformanceDiamonds, DiamondsbyLauren (I think they work with outside stones) and David Klass.

Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
Yea, I actually took her to see some cushions, she was happy with it. She couldn't tell it much different from a radiant in a halo setting. Which is what she wanted, a single halo with some pave. Thanks for the suggestions guys :).

I got some quotes from VC and SK. SK is a bit more expensive. VC is able to source the same diamonds for me at the same price...so strongly considering them, as they'd give me a discount on shipping/setting if that is the case.

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
Got the ASET image for one of them, thoughts? seems relatively decent for a cushion. ASET.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that the JA H SI2? Those crystals on the table might not only be visible with the naked eye, but look like they reflect all around the stone. Did they say it was eye clean? I like the look of the H VVS2, clarity overkill, but I like the way the pavilion facets are cut on that one. Can they get an ASET or idealscope for that stone?

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you have any questions about how eyeclean a diamond will be-- my recommendation is get the diamond unset. You really cannot tell from pictures sometimes. I have seen pictures of diamonds I would have sworn would be a mess and been shocked by the appearance in person. A good cutter who orients the inclusions carefully can hide a multitude of sins. A 2 carat cushion is about the same size as a pencil eraser, seeing those inclusions at 300x their real life size can be misleading. See it first, and then set it.

As for proposing with a temporary setting instead of an expensive custom halo. One thing entering the trade has taught me is that Pricescoper's are really not the average consumer. While for many of us the details about shanks and melee size and struts and donuts are extremely important most people are generally happy as long as the basic style they want is what they get. And while we know what a quality halo looks like... most people are thrilled with the halos they see in the Costco jewelry case.

My cousin proposed to his wife with a ring that I would not have been happy with at all (he did not consult me). A visibly tinted EGL center diamond that was cut for spread in a boxy halo that just ticked the basic boxes.

She was thrilled with it. She is very appearance oriented and all she cared about was the size and basic design (cushion in a halo). But she had to have 2 carats. The only difference she sees between her ring and mine (a nitpicky custom halo with an excellent cut 1.09 F VS1 asscher) is that mine is dwarfed by hers. Mine probably cost more too. o_O

So my advice is this: you know your fiance and you are the one who should be talking to her about the ring. IF she is not super detail oriented about her jewelry and you've discussed what she wants, and snooped on her Pinterest page and she pins every square diamond halo she sees regardless of details-- go ahead and get a high quality halo now and propose with it. She'll be happier you got her what she asked for than she would be with a ring that she has to spend time and effort making into what she wants.

But if she is a Pricescoper a heart? If she zooms in on a ring and says: I really like the way this halo hugs the shape of the diamond, and see how the prongs are curved JUST LIKE THAT??? And look at this one, how it doesn't do that, and the prongs are blobby--that really wouldn't make me happy. Then, propose with the unset diamond and let her handle the setting details herself.

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
Yea that first ASET is the JA one, they said its probably eye-clean, but they don't actually have the diamond to look at.

The square hearts and arrows, got the ASET. I thought it would be more impressive but still decent. Thoughts?
C201-4756Z8Z76_AST.jpg

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
If you have any questions about how eyeclean a diamond will be-- my recommendation is get the diamond unset. You really cannot tell from pictures sometimes. I have seen pictures of diamonds I would have sworn would be a mess and been shocked by the appearance in person. A good cutter who orients the inclusions carefully can hide a multitude of sins. A 2 carat cushion is about the same size as a pencil eraser, seeing those inclusions at 300x their real life size can be misleading. See it first, and then set it.

As for proposing with a temporary setting instead of an expensive custom halo. One thing entering the trade has taught me is that Pricescoper's are really not the average consumer. While for many of us the details about shanks and melee size and struts and donuts are extremely important most people are generally happy as long as the basic style they want is what they get. And while we know what a quality halo looks like... most people are thrilled with the halos they see in the Costco jewelry case.

My cousin proposed to his wife with a ring that I would not have been happy with at all (he did not consult me). A visibly tinted EGL center diamond that was cut for spread in a boxy halo that just ticked the basic boxes.

She was thrilled with it. She is very appearance oriented and all she cared about was the size and basic design (cushion in a halo). But she had to have 2 carats. The only difference she sees between her ring and mine (a nitpicky custom halo with an excellent cut 1.09 F VS1 asscher) is that mine is dwarfed by hers. Mine probably cost more too. o_O

So my advice is this: you know your fiance and you are the one who should be talking to her about the ring. IF she is not super detail oriented about her jewelry and you've discussed what she wants, and snooped on her Pinterest page and she pins every square diamond halo she sees regardless of details-- go ahead and get a high quality halo now and propose with it. She'll be happier you got her what she asked for than she would be with a ring that she has to spend time and effort making into what she wants.

But if she is a Pricescoper a heart? If she zooms in on a ring and says: I really like the way this halo hugs the shape of the diamond, and see how the prongs are curved JUST LIKE THAT??? And look at this one, how it doesn't do that, and the prongs are blobby--that really wouldn't make me happy. Then, propose with the unset diamond and let her handle the setting details herself.

Yea I totally get what you're saying, she does like the really nice Halos. I feel like paying for a premium custom halo from someone like VC/SK compared to JA is probably worth it. It's an extra 1 to 1.5k but the quality is noticeable imo., and if I'm getting a 2 carat diamond anyways, what's another 1000 to get that extra perfection.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cushion is better. Too much leakage on the heart and arrows.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could the ASET on the h&a cushion be taken with over-stong backlight?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could the ASET on the h&a cushion be taken with over-stong backlight?
The background is very bright and does not help out this stone's ASET. You can still see that the lowers are feathering under the table (both in the video and the ASET). I'm not sure whose branded stone this is, but its interesting in that it has an arrow at NESW, where I usually think of them being at the mid-points.

A bit smaller, but this is lovely. I would ask for an ASET, but mostly for grins.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...nd-ags-104101952007#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

Size aside, this is also lovely.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...nd-ags-104100506014#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-5_19-7-7.png
    upload_2018-12-5_19-7-7.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 13
  • upload_2018-12-5_19-7-29.png
    upload_2018-12-5_19-7-29.png
    349.5 KB · Views: 6

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I doubt the price difference is going to be $2000 or less between a handforged setting and a mass produced setting with pave that is machine set overseas. Pave that is all done by hand in the US (pulling the wires, forming the divots, setting each stone) by top craftsmen is extremely time consuming, takes a lot of skill, and that means it costs quite a bit. There is a reason we have every step of our custom work done in the US from CAD to stone setting by carefully vetted craftsmen. And a reason why PSers use the vendors you see referenced. There is a big difference.

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
I doubt the price difference is going to be $2000 or less between a handforged setting and a mass produced setting with pave that is machine set overseas. Pave that is all done by hand in the US (pulling the wires, forming the divots, setting each stone) by top craftsmen is extremely time consuming, takes a lot of skill, and that means it costs quite a bit. There is a reason we have every step of our custom work done in the US from CAD to stone setting by carefully vetted craftsmen. And a reason why PSers use the vendors you see referenced. There is a big difference.

I assume the JA and Blue Nile halos are not hand forged? they both run about 2100 to 2200 usd for a single halo with pave in platinum. Quotes I got from SK, VC and others run between 3000 to 3800.

ProfYY

Rough_Rock
Hmmm for the JA diamond, I got a reply on eye-cleaniness...not feeling it so much now:
"In terms of eye-cleanliness from a distance it looks really clean there is a chance you would see the inclusions when the stone is closer to you like 4-6" away. But from a normal viewing distance of 8-10" the inclusions won't be visible."

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
General comment: Most people can't focus their eyes 4 to 6 inches away. I can't. Diamonds are natural creations. Each one is unique, and inclusions are birthmarks and identifiers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results