shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I may regret my upgrade...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Very exciting…I can’t wait to see it set!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
It seem that the situation has worked out relatively well for you, @Godrick. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I look forward to seeing your new ring! Your new diamond is definitely better cut and has a nice life to it. I would have made the same trade!

One thing: I notice that a yellow gold basket/head can add tint to diamonds because the metal can be seen through the stone somewhat (or reflects within). For this reason I prefer white metals unless I want a more tinted stone. The good news is if you are not happy with the way your diamond looks it is very inexpensive to change out the head on a ring. Stuller has lots of pretty options.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
I look forward to seeing your new ring! Your new diamond is definitely better cut and has a nice life to it. I would have made the same trade!

One thing: I notice that a yellow gold basket/head can add tint to diamonds because the metal can be seen through the stone somewhat (or reflects within). For this reason I prefer white metals unless I want a more tinted stone. The good news is if you are not happy with the way your diamond looks it is very inexpensive to change out the head on a ring. Stuller has lots of pretty options.

Thanks! I have read the same, but also that a YG head actually makes a colored diamond look whiter (due to contrast) - since this is an I colored stone I am hopeful it will be a good match. Also, when I was trying it on, I much preferred the YG Spring ring at the store. Hopefully will get news of its completion today or tomorrow!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
OK all - here with my update!

I picked her up yesterday and have been admiring since. We set in a simple 4 claw prong using my original band. I am in love! I am still so curious seeing it in different lighting - really for the majority of the time she is very bright and white looking. She occasionally goes a bit dark, but dont we all? Ha

The only thing I am questioning about the setting is that there is a small gap between the prongs and the side of the stone. I tried to capture a photo here but it is hard. The performance is not affected as far as I can tell, but I have always preferred the flush look. should I ask them to tweak it? I like the way the prongs came out, would they potentially change if we did that, meaning would a be a total re-set or just an adjustment of the side of the prong? Any help appreciated, and thanks to all!!

20231108_082010.jpg

20231107_192338.jpg 20231107_192315.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks lovely on you!

Could you take a few more pictures just like your first one, rotating at different views? Ideally in diffused (not direct light) so reflections aren’t distorting what we see?

(A slight gap between the prong upright/body whatever-it’s-called and the pavilion of your stone is needed for cleaning purposes)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since this is rocky talky
And not SMTB which has the unspoken rule of not offering anything but positive remarks

I’m still sorry if this is unwanted offering of opinion
But if that was my ring I’d be taking it to an independent appraiser to find out how typically secure that head is considered being soldered onto the band. If it’s even a head and not 2-4 separate prong arms soldered into a band.
Peace of mind type thing.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Since this is rocky talky
And not SMTB which has the unspoken rule of not offering anything but positive remarks

I’m still sorry if this is unwanted offering of opinion
But if that was my ring I’d be taking it to an independent appraiser to find out how typically secure that head is considered being soldered onto the band. If it’s even a head and not 2-4 separate prong arms soldered into a band.
Peace of mind type thing.

Thanks for the suggestion - the jeweler had to order the head, so unless they flat out lied to me it should be a new head and not just soldered prongs! But I agree its always good to have peace of mind, and I will consult with a trusted expert which whom I have contact with.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is gorgeous, and looks beautiful on your hand! I too am a fan of a brilliant cut cushion. I'm no expert, but it looks like they mounted the diamond just high enough for cleaning (something I would want.)

It is hard to tell from one photo, but it appears that there is a chunk missing from one of the prongs. I marked the spot on your photo below. I would want this inspected also when you take it to your appraiser.

cushion prong.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert. I’m not a jeweler.
I’d be questioning the structural integrity if this were my ring.

You_Doodle_2023-11-08T14_26_38Z.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its really a gorgeous stone with great light return!

I agree with @RMOO and @Rfisher ...I would have it checked out. You dont want to knock the head off (its been done...
person was lucky enough to find her stone/head in the freezer).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamond is very pretty! The setting looks dangerously thin. There should be some type of structure of metal, like a donut, where the rings meet the shank. I would be worried one strong knock and the head could bend of come off :( that’s jot much meta holding just four thin prongs…

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
I'm surprised to hear all of the concern with the setting, it is pretty much an exact copy of my previous setting which never got the same reaction. Hm - I will look into it and ask a jeweler that I know for their opinion

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond looks beautiful and that is the most important thing! Night and day difference from the previous one!
I am sure the jeweler ordered a new head but it was clearly soldered to the shank. It is that junction that makes everyone nervous. Would rather see an integrated head made into the shank or a donut at the base. It just doesn’t look structurally sound for the long haul. Just have it checked out and see what another professional thinks about it. You’ve done good thus far; let’s keep this diamond safe!!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
The diamond looks beautiful and that is the most important thing! Night and day difference from the previous one!
I am sure the jeweler ordered a new head but it was clearly soldered to the shank. It is that junction that makes everyone nervous. Would rather see an integrated head made into the shank or a donut at the base. It just doesn’t look structurally sound for the long haul. Just have it checked out and see what another professional thinks about it. You’ve done good thus far; let’s keep this diamond safe!!

I see - thank you for this explanation! I will definitely get another opinion and see what is recommended!

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock

I picked her up yesterday and have been admiring since. We set in a simple 4 claw prong using my original band. I am in love! I am still so curious seeing it in different lighting - really for the majority of the time she is very bright and white looking. She occasionally goes a bit dark, but dont we all? Ha

The only thing I am questioning about the setting is that there is a small gap between the prongs and the side of the stone. I tried to capture a photo here but it is hard. The performance is not affected as far as I can tell, but I have always preferred the flush look. should I ask them to tweak it? I like the way the prongs came out, would they potentially change if we did that, meaning would a be a total re-set or just an adjustment of the side of the prong? Any help appreciated, and thanks to all!!

20231108_082010.jpg

It looks beautiful on you and a very lively stone, congratulations!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I am questioning about the setting is that there is a small gap between the prongs and the side of the stone

It’s a pretty minimal gap, but if it bothers you have the jeweler explain what’s involved in adjusting it. It would require unsetting the stone and going from there.

Your new stone is beautiful! Congratulations!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love the new stone. You did a great and thorough job choosing it. And I like the tiny gap in the setting…it will be easier to keep clean that way.

Lpsl

Rough_Rock

20231108_082010.jpg

Your new stone is breathtaking!!!!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Thank you thank you everyone. I can't tell you how happy I am that I decided to go with my gut on this and find a trade-in opportunity. I finally feel the way that I wanted to feel about my original upgrade - giddy! I keep looking down and admiring my hand, and having photo shoots (I'll share a few more of course) haha. I also feel kindred to the stone, I think I was meant to find it and it, and this whole experience, has taught me so much.

Thank you again to the PS community - truly, for always being so validating, realistic, and encouraging, Its great to have a safe space to come and discuss these things among friends! Have a great week everyone! Capture 6.PNG Capture 7.PNG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results