shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I may regret my upgrade...

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
The facet pattern on the new stone looks really nice. It is hard to compare of the color of the crushed ice stone - even though it is an F - because those stones always look rather white to me. I would rather have a better performer regardless of color but everyone might not feel that way.

This is hard for me too! I think the crushed ice appear very white and bright so it is hard to compare. I will be looking at some g/h cushions to compare to this i colored one tomorrow afternoon and I am curious to see how they stack up. But I agree, I love the facet patter on this stone as well.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock

This is the video that made the stone look "dark" to me, but i think my current stone also looks kind of dark here too - is this likely a lighting issue, color issue, or leakage issue?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I think you are looking at what happens to well-cut stones (especially rounds) in bright light. They go dark. This can
also happen outside in bright sunlight. Let's see if we can get @Karl_K to comment and see if that's what is happening.

Has to do with how the bright reflection constricts your pupils so as not to damage them???

This is what Karl said in another thread...
The dynamic range of the light is larger than the eye can see at one time.
Since bright light can damage the eye it moves in that direction and anything under or near the lower end of the range goes dark.
dynamic range == the difference between the brightest and darkest area.

Your original stone does not have that strong of light return so it looks more "white-ish" than dark. I have a pear-shaped stone
that reacts the same way (a few facets go dark but the virtual facets stay light/whiteish).

So, basically, this is a side effect of a stone that has strong light return.

Lets get @Karl_K 's input though to be sure.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
So I think you are looking at what happens to well-cut stones (especially rounds) in bright light. They go dark. This can
also happen outside in bright sunlight. Let's see if we can get @Karl_K to comment and see if that's what is happening.

Has to do with how the bright reflection constricts your pupils so as not to damage them???

This is what Karl said in another thread...
The dynamic range of the light is larger than the eye can see at one time.
Since bright light can damage the eye it moves in that direction and anything under or near the lower end of the range goes dark.
dynamic range == the difference between the brightest and darkest area.

Your original stone does not have that strong of light return so it looks more "white-ish" than dark. I have a pear-shaped stone
that reacts the same way (a few facets go dark but the virtual facets stay light/whiteish).

So, basically, this is a side effect of a stone that has strong light return.

Lets get @Karl_K 's input though to be sure.

Very interesting, thank you for commenting - interested to hear Karl's take! @Karl_K there are more photos and videos posted previously as well

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the on and off sparkle and scintillation is the cause of the darkness. Well cut rounds do this as well. The upside is that you get much more action in the diamond with the light flashing on and off of its facets. Your current stone is rather all one look all the time due to its cut. Also remember that diamonds are color graded face down, so consider that when judging color of a different diamond.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

This is the video that made the stone look "dark" to me, but i think my current stone also looks kind of dark here too - is this likely a lighting issue, color issue, or leakage issue?

obstruction from the camera, the other stone is gathering light from a higher angle(its pointing a different direction) and not showing it as much.
In simpler terms its trying to draw light from where the camera and likely you are.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
nice.
Not a fan of floating in he air video but it looks good.

Thanks Karl! you mean not a fan of this type of video in general?

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
1697126834820.png

here is cert for anyone evaluating

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Karl! you mean not a fan of this type of video in general?
Right, the floating in air vids are more wow pretty than really useful for showing cut defects.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Right, the floating in air vids are more wow pretty than really useful for showing cut defects.

Thanks for the context Karl. How do you feel about the proportions in the GIA cert?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You cant really tell anything about cushions from the proportions (2 values). The only thing you might be able to tell is if its hiding
weight in the pavilion or girdle. Your depth and table are typical for a cushion. Its really all about how the stone looks and reacts
when moved. Can you get an ASET image?

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
You cant really tell anything about cushions from the proportions (2 values). The only thing you might be able to tell is if its hiding
weight in the pavilion or girdle. Your depth and table are typical for a cushion. Its really all about how the stone looks and reacts
when moved. Can you get an ASET image?

The jeweler has an ASET or some kind of scope viewer on site, they can put the stone in and I can view it through a lenses, but I don't think it creates images. let me know what to look for, and I will inspect it visually through that device

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the new one! Beautiful!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does look beautiful! Full of life - how are you feeling about it?

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! @MissGotRocks I am feeling really good about it. I am so glad I visited it a second time and took a look at it in more varied lighting. We took it around the showroom, into office rooms, outside, and even the bathroom :lol:. I also think it is full of life and the jeweler kept using the same phrase.

The color does not bother me as much as I thought it would, especially as I understand more about color and cut and see the comments from PSers on this thread - I really think this stone is brighter and more lively than my F, and I cant stop watching the videos back. I also feel good about the financial aspect - I do think they are offering me a great trade in value, and the additional out of pocket costs have definitely been tempered by going lower in color. They have also agreed to set the stone at no additional cost (using my original band and replacing the head) which is a treat as well. This is a large retail jeweler who also offers a 100% value for future trade ins, with no minimum additional spend for trade ins, which also makes me feel good.

The jeweler has graciously given me a week to think about it and will hold the stone for me, and I am going to take some if not all of that time. My original jeweler now says she would like to see if she can find me a new stone (I told her about this deal and I'm sure she was motivated to try and compete...) But I am grateful for the time to think because my initial upgrade was done so hastily that I ended up regretting my purchase. I feel very at peace when I think about this trade in, and look forward to seeing what the original jeweler has to offer as a comparison, but at this point it feels like a win-win. I will keep you posted next week on what I decide!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the jeweler who is giving you a good deal on your trade-in? Does the markup on the new stone seem reasonable?
Like they are not marking it way up to make up for giving you a good deal on your trade-in? Obviously, the jeweler has to make some
money ...just hoping it's all reasonable.

Your new videos look good...not seeing any obvious tint and it looks to be a very lively stone. Lots of flashing facets!

Questions...do you think its a beautiful stone? If this stone had been your first stone (first upgrade) do you think you would
have been happy with it? Its nice that the jeweler is giving you a week to think about it. Most jewelers can only give about
3 days (before they have to send the stone back to the owner).

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Ok @tyty333 you've inspired me to break out my major math cap here haha

So, as a reminder below are the specs of both stones:

Original Stone: 2.51 F SI2 Ex Ex No FL
New Stone: 3.03 I SI2 Ex Ex No FL

The new stone is priced 25% higher than the original stone
The jeweler is offering me a trade in for my old stone at 83% of original value

So, for the trade in total I am at a 45% increase in total cash investment. The new jeweler is setting the new stone at no cost so my setting cost remains neutral.

I've often seen that about a 30% loss can be expected in a trade-in situation, and I feel the additional 15% here accounts for the upgrade in carat weight and cut. However, I am going down in color so that may not be as fair as I think.

Overall it feels fair to me and in line with what I was expecting going into the process. Thoughts?

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
That is a pretty diamond you are considering!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right to think about just to make sure. Yes, you are trading performance for color but I think most everyone would agree with that choice. Meanwhile, you can see what the original jeweler comes up with in terms of a replacement. I think you are in a good place right now. Keep us posted - we are rooting you on!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think as long as you are happy with the price difference and don't feel like you are being taken advantage of (which it doesn't look like), then all is well.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Just popped in to say the new choice looks lovely! Really lively and much bigger! Let us know what you decide and how you will set her!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Anything new @Godrick ?

I was going to wait for a big reveal but - yes! I decided to make the trade after long consideration and I feel great about the choice!

I visited the stone again (4 times in total, including the final visit when I made my trade) and each time was helpful and informative in different ways. I really took my time and was not putting pressure on myself to "make a decision" - I just wanted to see how I felt during the process, long after the anxious "want" for the stone wore off after the first visit.

I was wondering when I would "know" and then it really did just hit me one evening like lightning. The next day I charged into the store and told my sales associate "I'm ready!" - she laughed and gave me a hug. She was so patient with me and advocated for me during the process, and it was truly a supportive experience.

The jeweler has been terrific as well, they are using my original ring and replacing the head/resetting the stone at no cost. I am choosing to have the head replaced with yellow gold (which matches my band) as it was previously a white gold head, but I have read/seen that setting a lower colored diamond in YG makes it look a bit whiter. I also preferred the look of the stone in the YG spring ring as opposed to the WG one. They will also offer full trade-in value with no minimum spend for a trade in down the line, so I feel good about my options in the future. I will be picking it up soon (she is racing to get this finished for me) so I will be sure to post photos when ready!

Thanks to all for input and support through the process, it really did help and empower me when making this decision!

P.S. The other jeweler (the original jeweler of my 2.5 carat stone) came back without any good options - she was not willing to provide trade-in value for my current stone and couldn't find a supplier who would either. I had also previously spoken with Brian Galvin Diamonds and White Flash sales reps who were also not able to provide trade in value for me, but were so helpful and actually confirmed that this seemed like a great deal and if it worked for me it would be a good choice.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I was going to wait for a big reveal but - yes! I decided to make the trade after long consideration and I feel great about the choice!

I visited the stone again (4 times in total, including the final visit when I made my trade) and each time was helpful and informative in different ways. I really took my time and was not putting pressure on myself to "make a decision" - I just wanted to see how I felt during the process, long after the anxious "want" for the stone wore off after the first visit.

I was wondering when I would "know" and then it really did just hit me one evening like lightning. The next day I charged into the store and told my sales associate "I'm ready!" - she laughed and gave me a hug. She was so patient with me and advocated for me during the process, and it was truly a supportive experience.

The jeweler has been terrific as well, they are using my original ring and replacing the head/resetting the stone at no cost. I am choosing to have the head replaced with yellow gold (which matches my band) as it was previously a white gold head, but I have read/seen that setting a lower colored diamond in YG makes it look a bit whiter. I also preferred the look of the stone in the YG spring ring as opposed to the WG one. They will also offer full trade-in value with no minimum spend for a trade in down the line, so I feel good about my options in the future. I will be picking it up soon (she is racing to get this finished for me) so I will be sure to post photos when ready!

Thanks to all for input and support through the process, it really did help and empower me when making this decision!

P.S. The other jeweler (the original jeweler of my 2.5 carat stone) came back without any good options - she was not willing to provide trade-in value for my current stone and couldn't find a supplier who would either. I had also previously spoken with Brian Galvin Diamonds and White Flash sales reps who were also not able to provide trade in value for me, but were so helpful and actually confirmed that this seemed like a great deal and if it worked for me it would be a good choice.

It sounds like you have such peace now - what a wonderful outcome :). Looking forward to seeing the finished ring.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! Can’t wait to see the new diamond in the setting. Please come back with lots of pictures!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so pleased for you! It really is a pretty stone and I hope that it brings you many years of happiness!

And yes, Lots more pictures once its set!

Also would be nice to disclose the jewelry store you worked with (once its all done). Sounds like the customer service
was fantastic!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results