shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I may regret my upgrade...

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @diamondseeker2006 ! Yes, it is certainly a journey!!

I will definitely be posting updates here and maybe even in a new thread for more "rate this stone" input. My jeweler got back to me yesterday and said that she has been waiting for a large international diamond showcase in Hong Kong to end (I believe it ends today?) because she anticipates an influx of new inventory available to her in the search for a new stone. Will keep everyone posted!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire and pear reset is really lovely!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ever used Bonded Buyers for resale of stones? Michelle at WhiteFlash recommended I try there, as WF does not buy back cushion cuts

Godrick

Shiny_Rock

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.50 Fsi2 Cushion
https://v360vid.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/100wd8500cmb.html

3.06 Fsi2 Cushion
https://v360vid.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/1002340cb.html

Hi all, the jeweler sent these 2 videos of potential stones. Can you take a look?

I like the look of the first cut but what is the marking on the bottom leftish section? Graining, or a fingerprint?

Second has some more inclusions I think, would love to hear thoughts (i have also requested to see in person)

do you have copies of the certificates for these two? The cert for the first one will tell you if that is a cloud or something else on the bottom left side.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Yes, see here. I labeled the certs with the matching carat weight on the video so you know which is which

Attachments

• 2.50 (1).pdf
    521.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 3.06 (2).pdf
    935 KB · Views: 60

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
The bubbly area on the 2.50 is off-putting, not knowing what it is. I don't think you'll ever see the inclusions on the 3.06 iRL. Otherwise lovely choices.
But your diamond is beautiful! Would a RHR with a lab diamond such as above satisfy both?

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
The bubbly area on the 2.50 is off-putting, not knowing what it is. I don't think you'll ever see the inclusions on the 3.06 iRL. Otherwise lovely choices.
But your diamond is beautiful! Would a RHR with a lab diamond such as above satisfy both?

Thank you! I agree.

I'm not sure about a lab at this point, but the jeweler has updated that I won't likely get more than 50% of the value for my stone at this time. So I am thinking it is not the time to make the switch. Disappointed but I would rather wait and make a better financial decision than make an impulse move now.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Would love to hear what you think once you see all three stones (the above stones and your current one) in person.

I realize you only posted one photo of your cushion, but it's really quite bright, like a top notch crushed ice. There are dead crushed ice stones and bright ones (as I learned through Jonathan @Rhino's Good Old Gold youtube videos), and yours seems to fall into the latter category.

I feel that a lot of us here are simply wanting to reassure you that you didn't buy a bad stone which we see from time to time. Also, as you're experiencing again, the search for a good stone isn't easy. May you eventually find the one that makes your heart sing!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Would love to hear what you think once you see all three stones (the above stones and your current one) in person.

I realize you only posted one photo of your cushion, but it's really quite bright, like a top notch crushed ice. There are dead crushed ice stones and bright ones (as I learned through Jonathan @Rhino's Good Old Gold youtube videos), and yours seems to fall into the latter category.

I feel that a lot of us here are simply wanting to reassure you that you didn't buy a bad stone which we see from time to time. Also, as you're experiencing again, the search for a good stone isn't easy. May you eventually find the one that makes your heart sing!

Thank you so much - I really appreciate the reassurance and do feel better after hearing it from so many PSers - you are right, my stone is very bright white and sparkly, and I think I have just learned that the classic brilliant faceting is more my "style" long term. But I have faith I will find that perfect stone (thanks in part to all of your help!) and in the meantime I have a beautiful glitterbomb on my finger. Win win!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, SI2 in large stones is always iffy IMO. I too would rather see you wait for something that you feel very confident about.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

An update - I had a call with a jeweler who says based on my GIA report they would buy my ring for cash equivalent of 70-90% of my original purchase price, and they will be visually inspecting it next week to give me a final figure. If I trade in with them, it will be worth 75-100% of the original value towards a new stone. (these percentages are based on the total value of both the stone and setting!)

They have told me that after they give me the final figure next week I can take a check right then and there on the spot, or they will lock in that price for 2 weeks if I want to think about it. I will also be looking at some stones they have to offer at the appointment and could do a trade in then and there (but I would want my PSers to evaluate the stone first! haha)

Question is, what would you do? this seems like a great cash-back option, and I am seriously considering just selling it for the cash knowing that I want to change the stone in the future, even if I don't get to do it right now. I can put the $ away and keep looking seriously for something.

Thoughts?

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have never tried to sell any of my diamonds, but based on what I’ve read here on PS, your potential buyback sounds good.

If you know that you want to get another diamond in future, and will never be happy with the current one, I would say go for it. As long as you are free to choose the next one wherever you wish, and are not tied in to a particular jeweller.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

An update - I had a call with a jeweler who says based on my GIA report they would buy my ring for cash equivalent of 70-90% of my original purchase price, and they will be visually inspecting it next week to give me a final figure. If I trade in with them, it will be worth 75-100% of the original value towards a new stone. (these percentages are based on the total value of both the stone and setting!)

They have told me that after they give me the final figure next week I can take a check right then and there on the spot, or they will lock in that price for 2 weeks if I want to think about it. I will also be looking at some stones they have to offer at the appointment and could do a trade in then and there (but I would want my PSers to evaluate the stone first! haha)

Question is, what would you do? this seems like a great cash-back option, and I am seriously considering just selling it for the cash knowing that I want to change the stone in the future, even if I don't get to do it right now. I can put the $ away and keep looking seriously for something.

Thoughts?

Hmmm, sounds too good to be true. We never see these kinds of numbers on a buyback (from someone who is not the original
jeweler). I wonder what the catch is?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, sounds too good to be true. We never see these kinds of numbers on a buyback (from someone who is not the original
jeweler). I wonder what the catch is?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thank you, appreciated! Hopefully no catch! Ha. Maybe they have an interested customer, or need for this kind of inventory? but they are a very large and well known reputable jeweler in my area, so I am hoping/expectant that they follow through!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Hi all - I have some updates from the jeweler and I want to post photos/videos of a stone I'm considering, but every time I do I get error messages! What is the best way to post without this happening? TIA!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
OK I saw a stone today at the jewelr - it is an SI 2 I color 3.03 carat stone. It is seen here compared to my current ring (SI2 F 2.51 carat). I am worried about the color, having only ever had colorless stones. But I do love the cut! and in the outdoor lighting the color did not seem to show as much...

Let me know if you can see these photos:

1696994547109.png
1696994672413.png

However Indoors it showed its color more:

1696994750894.png

Here is the underside, lots of inclusions visible but not from the top....

1696994792920.png

finally here is an image of the stones in indoor lighting, where the color difference is most obvious.

1696994812409.png

Thoughts on the color, cut and clarity??? I definitely like the cut better than my current stone and I think it looks beautiful, I'm just scared of feeling like it looks "Dark". I have videos too, just cant figure out how to post them!

@Tonks I may shamelessly call on you to weigh in after your recent journey with your I colored stone!

@Kim N @DejaWiz always love your advice too

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I have videos too, just cant figure out how to post them!

Step 1: upload videos to imgur
Step 2: press the three dots next to the emoji icon and select "media"
Step 3: paste imgur link and click "continue"
Step 4: profit :mrgreen:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 on being cautious about the sound of the trade in deal.

Do you mind posting the lab report for this stone you are considering? Have you looked up online retail comparisons of the new stone to gauge your trade in offer to?

If you have doubts about the color, even in some lightings over others, give it some time/thought. Don’t rush into it because excitement.

It’s sometimes not quick/easy to decide which parameters are worth conceding on to gain in others- and being happy for the long run.

The 2nd picture in post 47 would give me much concern if the cut/performance looked that way to the eye. ymmv.

Last edited:

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, in your shoes with a purchase of that magnitude, I'd encourage you to go to the lab diamond forum and have someone help you pick out a lab cushion from Ritani for about $1k-$1.5k. I'd really sit with it at home. Try it in sunlight. Try it outdoors. They give 30 days for returns. Really, really sit with what you think you want vs a crushed ice stone. Compare it often. Heck, if you're really keen, you can throw it in one of their cheapest settings ($200?) and wear it for a month or two (and then resell on Loupe troupe for $400-$500). If you're already got bitten by buyer's remorse, IMO the best thing you can do is really figure out what you want, because your next purchase could be costly too if you move too fast.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, after seeing the videos I think it looks pretty nice! I think it has better light return and looks brighter to me than your other
stone (due to the different faceting pattern). You will probably see the tint in it in different lighting...you have to decide if you're
ok with that.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I’m not a cushion expert by any means but I think the new stone looks really good! I prefer the facet pattern of it for sure. You will have to decide if the color difference bothers you.

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I need a little help navigating a situation.

A few months ago I purchased a 2.5 carat cushion cut stone after my husband and I decided that we would be comfortable doing the upgrade we talked about when we got engaged. Since then, I am having a bit of buyers remorse - the ring is beautiful, the stone is bright white and sparkly with no dead spots, the only thing is it has a crushed ice faceting pattern (see photo of my ring here) and I envisioned a more classic modified brilliant stone (see photo of inspo here with split shank band). I think I was a little under educated about the different cuts when I made my purchase, and I saw about 15 very poorly cut stones (so many dead and lifeless) so when this one came up it seemed like an easy decision! In the months following, I realized I should have spent more time finding a well cut modified brilliant. I think I was a little too eager.

I am a little embarrassed to contact the original jeweler about it - I was so excited and she was soooo helpful when I was very particular about the setting, she re-set it to my liking at no cost and was so pleasant all the while. I feel like she would be shocked to hear that I'm feeling this way after being so satisfied at the time! But, I have reached out so some other jewelers who are not willing to offer anything, or offering very very little for the stone as a trade in value.

My question is this : do I reach out to the original jeweler and ask her to find the cut I'm looking for and do a trade in? Do I keep searching with third party jewelers? Do I just live with it for a few years and get something else down the line?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Capture1.PNG Classic cut cushion.jpg

I had a cushion cut for my first stone because it was the most affordable option my now hubby could find for our budget versus size/quality of the stone. I immediately realized I did not like the cut in person for that same crushed ice look you are seeing (bought it online). We traded it in a year and a half later for a decently cut round brilliant and I loved it!

I’d personally go to a few reputable jewelers near you and try on different shapes with excellent cuts to get a fair assessment of what you want. I’d not want to work with one who showed me/stocked poorly cut stones.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TruLuv858, I'm not an expert so I hesitated to comment but I think it's a beautiful diamond! Your original stone is pretty but the new one looks more lively and brighter compared to it. I especially see the difference in the video. I don't see any tint or darkness but it sounds like maybe you do? In which case you'll have to decide if you're ok with it.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
@TruLuv858, I'm not an expert so I hesitated to comment but I think it's a beautiful diamond! Your original stone is pretty but the new one looks more lively and brighter compared to it. I especially see the difference in the video. I don't see any tint or darkness but it sounds like maybe you do? In which case you'll have to decide if you're ok with it.
Hi! I’m not the OP… did you mean @Godrick?

Scon_ce

Shiny_Rock
I think both are beautiful! But maybe the size boost on this new cushion cut is a good tradeoff for the lower color!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The facet pattern on the new stone looks really nice. It is hard to compare of the color of the crushed ice stone - even though it is an F - because those stones always look rather white to me. I would rather have a better performer regardless of color but everyone might not feel that way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results