shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for a total newbie.. new to engagement rings/gemstones!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Help for a total newbie.. new to engagement rings/gemsto

Sabrushi|1415743123|3781552 said:
2Neezers, I would so much prefer to have the stone certified. I'm happy it's under my budget, but it's still a big chunk! haha.. and mostly taking into account I'm unable of seeing it in person.. :(( In the case the certification takes a long time, would you still advise to go for it? I want to be confident about my purchase.

As a side note, taking into account this would come underbudget (~6.5k in total, vs. 8/9k I had in mind), do you guys think I should still mention that PS discount? I'm not good at bargaining or negotiating prices.. and I don't wanna end up embarrassing myself.

Thanks a lot for your input! Much appreciated.. :bigsmile:

I hope Chrono or others can chime in on the importance of the certificate. I don't own any colored stone that were pricey enough for me to need feel I needed a certificate, but for price of the sapphire you are looking at I would want to have one. On the other hand, you have found the setting you want from from the vendor and want to have it in your hand as a finished piece by a certain date, so I don't know what I would do in your situation. Hopefully others can give you better advice on this.

I would still ask him if he offers a Pricescope discount. He might say no, but don't be embarrassed by that. Lots of vendors do offer a Pricescope discount, so I am sure he has been asked that before. It might just be a small discount, but I am a bargain shopper and always ask. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sabrushi|1415743123|3781552 said:
Hello everybody! I'm finally in Sydney.. =)

Yes!! I'm glad my choices were good! Definitely the second one (#5419) is probably the way to go; I love the color, and they size would be perfect. Chrono.. I'm gonna phone Bill today, and talk about this. I'm definitely asking for pics of the sapphire under different light conditions + pics of the ring. I will post them here soon, fingers crossed!

2Neezers, I would so much prefer to have the stone certified. I'm happy it's under my budget, but it's still a big chunk! haha.. and mostly taking into account I'm unable of seeing it in person.. :(( In the case the certification takes a long time, would you still advise to go for it? I want to be confident about my purchase.

As a side note, taking into account this would come underbudget (~6.5k in total, vs. 8/9k I had in mind), do you guys think I should still mention that PS discount? I'm not good at bargaining or negotiating prices.. and I don't wanna end up embarrassing myself.

Thanks a lot for your input! Much appreciated.. :bigsmile:

I'd just say " I had heard you offer a Pricescope referral discount, do you still have that?" Worst they will say is no. Then say oh, OK. Thanks! And move on lol.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would definitely want a lab report, were I in your shoes. And there's now ample room in the ring budget to obtain the 72-hour rush service for an AGL Prestige Report :))
http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MollyMalone|1415750594|3781639 said:
I would definitely want a lab report, were I in your shoes. And there's now ample room in the ring budget to obtain the 72-hour rush service for an AGL Prestige Report :))
http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/
Smart! That way there's a report and the timeframe isn't disturbed.

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock

Hi all! I finally spoke with Bill on the phone, very nice person indeed! I sent him an email with all the required information; such as, more pics of the ring, pics of the chosen sapphire under different lighting conditions (#5419), and I asked him about the certification. Thanks a lot for that link, MollyMalone! Once he comes back to me, I would certainly mention this! :mrgreen:

I'll keep you posted! Thanks for everything! :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The AGL brief would suffice to make sure that the treatment is stated correctly, which is all one would need unless it happens to have an important origin such as Kashmir. If you'd like more details, then going for the Prestige Report is your choice.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know if AGL could be convinced to rush a GemBrief; the current web page says rush service is available only for Prestige Reports. But you don't have to spring for one of the pricier kind of Prestige Reports that seek to ascertain origin; the cheapest Prestige Report (ID & enhancement/treatment) would qualify for rush service. I'd rather use AGL for colored stones, but rush service is also a possibility with GIA:
http://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-service/colored-stone

Because one lab may be more backed up than the other (and therefore won't guarantee rush service at the particular time requested), the decision may be driven by who agrees to actually turn it around super-quick -- here's hoping Gem 2000-Bill Pearlman can make a lab report happen in time!

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock

Exciting news, folks! Bill came back to me with pics of the ring w/the sapphire!

I love it. It's exactly what I had in mind! But please share your thoughts about it, let me know if you think the color/setting combo is right and so (I'm still asking for a certification, that's for sure!!)

Bill said he has the ring and the sapphire, so I guess once the certification is done, and payment is cleared, it shouldn't take that long to have it with me.. :naughty:

Thanks all!

_24072.jpg

_24073.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah, it's beautiful. The color is mesmerizing. Did you also receive pics in natural day light and without flash?
I leave the analysis to the more experienced PSers but based on these two pics it looks beautiful to my eyes.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wow, that sapphire has a beautiful color and looks amazing in the setting.
He must have had it sent to him overnight to be able to put it together for you so quickly. Did you get a video or photos under different lighting too? I would love to see more. Did he say if the size of the sapphire will fit perfectly in the setting now that he has it in hand? I know there was just a little .10mm size difference.
It is really beautiful and I'm so happy this is coming together for you :)

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock

Thanks a lot for the feedback! ::)

No, those were the only two pics I've received. I'll be requesting for more! (a video won't hurt either!) But so far, so good. He had somebody working with him to mail me the pics, but he is overlooking the whole process.. and that makes me very confident and happy.

I'll keep you all posted about this.. :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One. Perfectly. Gorgeous. Ring. Such a vivid blue! I too would like to see it in other lighting situations, but if it looks anywhere near that color, you have a stunningly beautiful, close to ideal color sapphire!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

This thread represents the best from colored stoners!

How cool is that ring? :love: :appl:

Look forward to hand shots!

cheers--Sharon

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

good gracious is that actually the photo of the stone in the setting?! Or a photoshop? Its so vivid if its actually the stone in the setting...

exciting things are happening for you!

I think even if it is photoshopped just to show you how it would look, it looks amazing. the setting is so unique, even with the center being a round. I mean, who has half moon out in the real world!?

im so excited that this is working out for you. and under budget?? Now lets just hope they have a way of shipping it fast enough to avoid any issues with over seas shipping

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm pretty sure it's just photoshopped in there right now. It's the same photo of the stone, just rotated slightly - you can see in the facets that are darker.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts|1415843831|3782407 said:
I'm pretty sure it's just photoshopped in there right now. It's the same photo of the stone, just rotated slightly - you can see in the facets that are darker.

I agree. Nothing wrong with that, assuming this was just an exercise to help you visualize the way that setting would look on the hand with a sapphire in it

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock

Hi distracts and Niel! I have to admit that when I first saw the pics, I thought the same! Bill did mention on the phone that they usually use photoshopped pics, in order for the customers to 'visualize' how the final product would look; I'm not sure if this is the case here.. but if it is, oh well! I've definitely visualized the whole thing now.. and I'm very happy with it! :bigsmile:

I agree about the half moons, I've seen them paired with ovals/cushions.. but I'm very surprised at how good they look with a round! I think the proportions are great, otherwise.. I feel they would be 'taking over' the center stone.

As I mentioned before, I'm still awaiting for more pics/video of the sapphire.. so hopefully I would have some coming soon.. ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As excited as I am, I would discount the photoshopped pictures to wait for the actual picture(s) of the sapphire. Sorry to be so pessimistic. ::)

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock

Hi everybody,

Well, I hate to say I have bad news. But I have bad news; there was a discrepancy on the sapphire measurement, so basically 7mm would now be too small for the ring.. ;( After measuring the sapphire vs. the CZ on the mounting, they realized the correct size should be 7.85mm (I'm still trying to understand if this should be the exact measurement, or if we could choose any sapphire closest as possible to that measurement).

Bottom line, the one I had in mind won't do anymore, so that means I'll have to start searching for a new sapphire from scratch (which also means I'll have to stretch my budget, if I wanna have a decent stone). I've checked the gemstone inventory (gem2000), and didn't find any other sapphire (at least 7.6mm or above) which convinced me. I offered the chance of buying a sapphire on my own, and having them fit it and send me the whole product, so I'll see what they say.
Bill has been very attentive, and communication was a breeze, so I'd seriously love to have all this done by them. I love the Ritani setting, that's for sure.. but without the sapphire, is honestly like having nothing :blackeye:

I'll keep you all posted! Please share your thoughts, and any ideas about this! I need some serious advice.. :(sad

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Oh no! That's pretty disappointing.
This may be a blessing in disguise though. I know you originally had wanted a much bigger sapphire and I was a little worried you might not be happy with the 7mm stone when you saw it in person. The good news in this situation is that the setting you love fits a larger stone.
Let everyone here know what Pearlman's says about you sending them a sapphire from a outside vendor to be placed in the setting. I don't think they would have a problem with it. Many jewelers will set outside stones. I'm sure everyone here will try to help you find a perfect sapphire to fit in your setting.

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock

2Neezers|1415933655|3783107 said:
Oh no! That's pretty disappointing.
This may be a blessing in disguise though. I know you originally had wanted a much bigger sapphire and I was a little worried you might not be happy with the 7mm stone when you saw it in person. The good news in this situation is that the setting you love fits a larger stone.
Let everyone here know what Pearlman's says about you sending them a sapphire from a outside vendor to be placed in the setting. I don't think they would have a problem with it. Many jewelers will set outside stones. I'm sure everyone here will try to help you find a perfect sapphire to fit in your setting.

Always spot on, 2Neezers! I was just about to edit my previous post, having talked with Bill, but apparently I couldn't edit it anymore. Anyway, yes! That's exactly the 'good part' of all this; I'm getting a bigger sapphire at the end.. :naughty: Bill was also gutted, but he has no issues regarding the stone vendor. He finally confirmed the dimensions; 7.8/7.9mm.
I'm gonna be checking the recommended list, and see what I can find. Fingers crossed I'd find the perfect stone (w/certification!) on time! I know that my budget will have to stretch a bit (I assume ~5/5.5k?), but I'd still get a much better value than doing it here.

As usual, any help.. much appreciated! :bigsmile:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

pregcurious|1415370684|3779115 said:
This one is round, but I think the size is close to what you want. The color looks good, and it is within budget. I think a stone this size will not need a halo, so you could get a less expensive setting with just diamond sidestones.

If you are limited in time, you may want to consider compromising on the shape or size. I would not compromise on color, and I tend to compromise on shape first as size is important to me.

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7932

Did you see this one back on the first page of this thread? I know the price that is listed right now is out of your budget, but this vendor runs major sales from time to time and really lowers his prices alot. If you like this one, you could always email him and offer him the best price you can within your budget and see if he would accept the offer. He might say no, but he might say yes :)
The size on this one is 7.82 x 7.96, so I would ask Bill if he can make this one fit for sure first.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

2Neezers|1415935725|3783125 said:
This one is round, but I think the size is close to what you want. The color looks good, and it is within budget. I think a stone this size will not need a halo, so you could get a less expensive setting with just diamond sidestones.

If you are limited in time, you may want to consider compromising on the shape or size. I would not compromise on color, and I tend to compromise on shape first as size is important to me.

Did you see this one back on the first page of this thread? I know the price that is listed right now is out of your budget, but this vendor runs major sales from time to time and really lowers his prices alot. If you like this one, you could always email him and offer him the best price you can within your budget and see if he would accept the offer. He might say no, but he might say yes :)
The size on this one is 7.82 x 7.96, so I would ask Bill if he can make this one fit for sure first.

I love that round.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LoversKites|1415993237|3783621 said:

I love that round.

But the price....

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1415993524|3783625 said:

I love that round.

But the price....

Who has time to worry about money? :rolleyes: :cheeky:

But honestly, I did not notice the price vs OP's budget. Maybe he would discount it further if OP asked though; there is always a chance. He does lower his prices every now and then.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

LoversKites|1415993806|3783631 said:
Niel|1415993524|3783625 said:

I love that round.

But the price....

Who has time to worry about money? :rolleyes: :cheeky:

But honestly, I did not notice the price vs OP's budget. Maybe he would discount it further if OP asked though; there is always a chance. He does lower his prices every now and then.

If Sabrushi likes this one, I think it would be worth it to ask for a further discount too. He has this quote on his main page right now:

"Rachelle has talked me into running a sale every week until 2 weeks before Christmas... Wow... This will be fun and interesting as I will go through the site and throw about 20 items into the sale of the week page every Sunday after lunch to run for the entire week... Let me know what you are interested in and I will try to load it in the sale page... "

I take that last part to mean there are more sales and deals to be had :)

The sapphire ring Niel picked is so blingy and gorgeous too.

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock

Hello folks,

That round is to die for.. the color is beautiful. Should I make an offer and see how it goes? I'm pretty sure it's unlikely I'd get it for 1k less, but oh well! How nice would be if I did? ::) And since he said there are more sales coming.. I might give it a try!

I've browsed that site, and I found this one: http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7825 I'm a rookie, but I assume I'm compromising on cut here. What about that window? You think in the setting would look better? Would the color be too dark?

Niel, that ring is beautiful! Although the Ritani setting is still my favorite (it has really grown on me!). I wonder how much would the price be for platinum? I'm definitely choosing platinum over 14/18k.

I've checked gem2000 again, and I could only find these items which fit my budget (two other items were much better, but nearly 7k!); #5416 (not too excited about the color) and #5146 (nicer color, but might be a tad small?). The other ones were too dark.. :nono:

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming! :wavey:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Sabrushi|1415996966|3783675 said:
Hello folks,

That round is to die for.. the color is beautiful. Should I make an offer and see how it goes? I'm pretty sure it's unlikely I'd get it for 1k less, but oh well! How nice would be if I did? ::) And since he said there are more sales coming.. I might give it a try!

I've browsed that site, and I found this one: http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7825 I'm a rookie, but I assume I'm compromising on cut here. What about that window? You think in the setting would look better? Would the color be too dark?

Niel, that ring is beautiful! Although the Ritani setting is still my favorite (it has really grown on me!). I wonder how much would the price be for platinum? I'm definitely choosing platinum over 14/18k.

I've checked gem2000 again, and I could only find these items which fit my budget (two other items were much better, but nearly 7k!); #5416 (not too excited about the color) and #5146 (nicer color, but might be a tad small?). The other ones were too dark.. :nono:

I like the round you posted. The cutting is obviously not perfect but it's decent. The window is tiny; it wouldn't bother me. Pretend it's cut like an antique cut diamond with an open culet :) Plus it's unheated. What I did notice is it has some extinction whereas that other one has none. Extinction bothers me more than it does most people it seems. If I were you I'd first make an offer on the heated one. If they won't budge on price consider the unheated one.

It just occurred to me that if they will accept your offer on the heated one you could order both and see in person and for yourself which you prefer. Then return the one you like less.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Sabrushi|1415996966|3783675 said:
Hello folks,

Wishing you good luck with your offer!
I also looked at the two from Gem 2000 that you mentioned. I am too new at this to give you an evaluation, but I will attach the pictures below to make things easy in case someone else would like to. It might be nice for you to see all of the pictures together in one place too. The prices on both of those are within budget and I'm sure there would be some convenience in purchasing both the stone and setting from one vendor.

Gem 2000 #5416, 8mm, 2.25ct., $4,331.25
http://www.gem2000.com/gsresult.php?itemno=5416&gemtype=Any&varietycolor=Any&minweight=&maxweight=&pieces=Any&cutshape=Any&Submit=SEARCH

Gem 2000 #5146, 7.6mm, 2.11ct., $4,431.00
http://www.gem2000.com/gsresult.php?itemno=5146&gemtype=Any&varietycolor=Any&minweight=&maxweight=&pieces=Any&cutshape=Any&Submit=SEARCH

Master Cut Gems #7932, 7.82mm x 7.96mm, 2.6ct., $6,130.00

Master Cut Gems #7825, 7.8mm x 7.74mm, 2.05ct, $4,950.00
http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7825

My favorite is of course the most expensive one!

5416.jpg

5146.jpg

7932.jpg

7825.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results