shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for a total newbie.. new to engagement rings/gemstones!

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody! I've been reading you all since my partner and I have decided to take the next step, and become engaged!
The twist in my story, is that although Ed (my partner) has a pretty good idea about engagement rings (he is Irish!), I am from Argentina.. and we don't do engagement rings at all! Some couples might wear 'pre-wedding rings', which are just plain silver bands (both of them), than once married, get exchanged by the typical yellow gold wedding band (as it's our tradition). So you can imagine my face when he started talking about diamonds... I was lost! :(
After much reading in the subject matter, learning about the 4 C's, going to jewelry stores in my area, talking with some friends, etc, I've decided that I don't want a diamond as the center stone.. I want a blue sapphire. And that's how I've found about this forum! I've devoured your newbie guide, and read all the recommended stories! (Airplay's and Jame's were great learning sources!!)

In my ideal world, the ring should look as the one I've attached (I'm still awaiting for a quote and full specs, > images of the sapphire.. but not much luck with the vendor.. and I have a feeling it's gonna be over our budget). A vivid blue stone (I'm still confused about the exact colour, something ~ royal blue or cornflower blue), hopefully unheated (but I'm not 100% opposed to heated stones), good sized - cushion (more squarish than roundish)/oval/radiant cut (> 2ct, I'm not too sure about dimensions, but I assume it should be ~ 8.5/9mm, right?). I will like it to sparkle! :naughty: And be eye clean (no nasty windows/extinctions). The side stones are going to be diamonds, I'm thinking trapz or half-moon cuts, everything proportionate to the center stone (in terms of dimensions, and right shape).. which is the star! The setting.. platinum for sure, art-deco/antique style, pave (perhaps channel set), halo, and rather 'chunky' on the band (I've attached some pics with my preferences)

Ok.. so probably most of you think I have everything figured out. The thing is that I'm yet to see a sapphire like this in person! (I've attached a pic of the ring I've tried in a store once.. which made me shift to the sapphire world. It looks very nice, it's 2.09ct, but the color is definitely not my taste, it's more a purplish-blue than a blue, also, am I correct to assume that the black 'dot' in the middle is a window?). I forgot to mention a massive detail.. I live in Dunedin, New Zealand, and there are only 4 jewelry stores here. To make things very complicated.. I'm flying to Sydney next week (where Ed is working), and since I'm gonna be there for the whole summer (winter for you!), I've exchanged emails with local vendors and asked them if there might be possible to have something like this custom made for me. Most of the vendors don't work with outsourced stones! And their prices are VERY HIGH compared to the ones I've seen in the recommended section.

So let's cut to the chase.. Our budget is ~ 10k AUD (~8.5/9k USD) for the total costs (sapphire + setting + shipping + taxes!), although we could stretch it a bit for the right ring. Do you recommend buying the stone + setting separately, and have the sapphire set in the states and then shipped to Sydney? Or perhaps buying the whole ring in just one place and then have that shipped? Is this even feasible within our budget? From the recommended vendor's section.. is there anyone in particular you think is good for dealing with international shipping? I have a feeling I could get much better results by buying a loose stone (and definitely better value for our money), but the fact that I won't be able to even see the stone, makes me very worried! I even thought about buying a estate piece, once in Sydney, but none of what I've seen has made me too excited about this idea.

What do you think? I will appreciate any input, recommendations.. and sorry for the long post! In my head I know what I want.. but I just don't know what's the best way to achieve it.. :lol:

Thanks a lot!!

Sabrina

_491.png

sapphire___halo___split_shoulder_w-pave__zoom_.jpg

ideal_colour.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help for a total newbie.. new to engagement rings/gemsto

Hello and welcome to the CS section of PS. I'm going to summarize your needs/requirements here:
1. Almost top colour blue sapphire (pure blue hue, medium to medium dark tone, strong to intense saturation)
2. Unheated preferred but plain heat is also acceptable
3. Square cushion, oval or radiant shape
4. 8.5 to 9 mm (slightly over 2 carats)
5. Eye clean and well cut
6. Platinum setting (art deco, pave, halo and chunky overall)
7. Budget of $9K total (stone, setting, taxes, etc)

Based on the above, you are likely to be pushing the budget but I think we can do it.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, firstly, what size is your finger? Since you want a three stone and all haloed, you can kind of work backwards to what size sapphire you'll actually want with that setting based on that, since there's actually only so much stuff that can comfortably fit on a finger. (Or, uh, opinions vary about this... but in my opinion... you shouldn't have to build a skyscraper on your finger to fit all the rocks onto it.)

A 2 ct cushion sapphire is NOT going to be 8.5-9mm unless it's really shallow. My engagement ring stone is a 2 ct cushion sapphire and it is 7mm square. For 2 ct square sapphire I've seen from 6.5-8mm. So this is pretty definitely over 2 cts for the 8.5-9mm size.

I would expect to set aside about 4k for the setting, depending on what exactly you want. I'm not sure how much customs/import duties will be, so maybe that leaves around 4k for the sapphire? I'm speaking in American dollars obviously. I would sort of keep that in mind when you're looking at things - it's all a balancing game when it comes to colored stones, so it could be that you find a stone you're crazy about and then have less for the setting and have to go simpler, or whatever. (Though if Chrono says it's doable on your budget, I believe her, since she knows what she's talking about.)

I have definitely heard from Australian and NZ PSers before that prices for jewelry there are much higher than here. Since you'll be in Sydney, I don't think it hurts at all to look at the stores there for both new and estate options, and check out whether there will be any estate auctions going on. You can look online at the same time. Don't worry if it doesn't come together overnight - it can take a while to find the right stone or ring when you are looking for something like this.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, it looks a bit light here but it will be slightly darker in person and once you set it in a halo, it will darken a little bit more.
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html
2.04 ct, 8.2 x 5.8 x 5.2mm, VVS clarity, $4000

Yes, it is too big and more than your budget but I just had to post it here.
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7708

Yes, it's probably a bit too small.
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7931
1.93 ct, 6.57 x 6.50 x 5.24mm, $2490 sale price

Price not stated but these warrant inquiry
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueov2_93ct_v02/#main
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval2_30ct_8817/#main
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval2_98ct_8809/#main

9439017_orig.jpg

29651.jpg

31062.jpg

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock

distracts|1415279810|3778493 said:
Well, firstly, what size is your finger? Since you want a three stone and all haloed, you can kind of work backwards to what size sapphire you'll actually want with that setting based on that, since there's actually only so much stuff that can comfortably fit on a finger. (Or, uh, opinions vary about this... but in my opinion... you shouldn't have to build a skyscraper on your finger to fit all the rocks onto it.)

A 2 ct cushion sapphire is NOT going to be 8.5-9mm unless it's really shallow. My engagement ring stone is a 2 ct cushion sapphire and it is 7mm square. For 2 ct square sapphire I've seen from 6.5-8mm. So this is pretty definitely over 2 cts for the 8.5-9mm size.

I would expect to set aside about 4k for the setting, depending on what exactly you want. I'm not sure how much customs/import duties will be, so maybe that leaves around 4k for the sapphire? I'm speaking in American dollars obviously. I would sort of keep that in mind when you're looking at things - it's all a balancing game when it comes to colored stones, so it could be that you find a stone you're crazy about and then have less for the setting and have to go simpler, or whatever. (Though if Chrono says it's doable on your budget, I believe her, since she knows what she's talking about.)

I have definitely heard from Australian and NZ PSers before that prices for jewelry there are much higher than here. Since you'll be in Sydney, I don't think it hurts at all to look at the stores there for both new and estate options, and check out whether there will be any estate auctions going on. You can look online at the same time. Don't worry if it doesn't come together overnight - it can take a while to find the right stone or ring when you are looking for something like this.

Thank you so much for the info, distracts! :)
My size is M/M.5 NZ.. which is between a 6.25/6.5 USA, I think that's the average size, right? I had some concerns that the ring was going to look a bit too bulky, but after trying similar models (although with diamonds), I really liked the appeal. I would definitely don't go above 2/3ct, because with the halo it would look ginormous.
The break down on the costs is spot on; taxes in Sydney are 15%.. so basically we cannot spend more than 8, 8.5k USD for the total ring. I think I'm also going to wait to be in Sydney, and check down some vintage places that handle estate pieces.. the problem is that we don't have that long; we were planning to get engaged in Ireland, with his family, and we fly out on Dec 13th from Sydney (we fly a lot, so that only leaves us with a month and a week from now). That's another reason to discard having the ring handmade. I thought I was gonna be fine time wise, but perhaps I'm pushing it a bit.

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1415279938|3778494 said:
Yes, it looks a bit light here but it will be slightly darker in person and once you set it in a halo, it will darken a little bit more.
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html
2.04 ct, 8.2 x 5.8 x 5.2mm, VVS clarity, $4000

Yes, it is too big and more than your budget but I just had to post it here.
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7708

Yes, it's probably a bit too small.
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7931
1.93 ct, 6.57 x 6.50 x 5.24mm, $2490 sale price

Price not stated but these warrant inquiry
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueov2_93ct_v02/#main
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval2_30ct_8817/#main
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval2_98ct_8809/#main

Wow, amazing options! Thanks a lot! :)

The firs one does look a bit too clear for my taste, I did read that most of you recommend to go 1 up in terms of lighting, because in person tends to look a tad darker, is that right?
Anyway, the second option is stunning! But definitely over our budget and too big. That cushion you sent looks very nice! It might be on the smaller side, but I really like the color (and the price..)
From the last 3, my favourite one is the last one.. which is the one I also posted on my original message! Maybe that's a sign.. :bigsmile:

Do you think the ring would look better with an oval, cushion or radiant sapphire? Ed loves the emerald cut, but I find it too 'sharp' for me, if that makes any sense? (like, to rectangular). I like the elongated shapes, and how that contrasts with the side stones (trapz/half-moon), but from your experience, what do you think looks the best?

Thanks a lot again!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sabrushi|1415324261|3778916 said:
Do you think the ring would look better with an oval, cushion or radiant sapphire? Ed loves the emerald cut, but I find it too 'sharp' for me, if that makes any sense? (like, to rectangular). I like the elongated shapes, and how that contrasts with the side stones (trapz/half-moon), but from your experience, what do you think looks the best?

Thanks a lot again!

I say go with your gut. If the more square shapes feel too sharp, id go with another shape. Plus, just my personal preference, but I find three stones or three stones with halos just soooo flattering with ovals. Ovals with half moons, ovals with bullets, ovals with smaller ovals? all amazing :love:

Sabrushi

Rough_Rock

Niel|1415324812|3778923 said:
Sabrushi|1415324261|3778916 said:

Thanks a lot again!

I say go with your gut. If the more square shapes feel too sharp, id go with another shape. Plus, just my personal preference, but I find three stones or three stones with halos just soooo flattering with ovals. Ovals with half moons, ovals with bullets, ovals with smaller ovals? all amazing :love:

Hi Niel,

Yes, I agree about how flattering ovals are! Also, I want to have good finger coverage, and so far I found that style to be the best one.. :love:

The vendor from the original ring I attached to my message came back to me, the ring is soooo over my budget @ 25k! I'm gutted.. :(( The specs she gave me were: 3.56ct sapphire, 1.12ct. trapz diamonds and small round diamonds 0.32ct. I know the ring is way bigger of what I want, but I doubt this could fit my budget anyway.

I'm starting to wonder if the setting would end up costing me > than the sapphire itself! :(sad For example, I love this setting (http://www.simongjewelry.com/wps/portal/SimonG/products/MR2386/RING), but I guess that in plat it could possible be anywhere from 1.5/2k > of the quoted price in 18k..

liao

Shiny_Rock

I will recommend these two blue sapphire:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Heat-2-5ct-Cushion-Srilankan-Blue-Sapphire-Eye-Clean-AIGS-Certified-Gems-/121083083158?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item1c311d3996
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Oct13BSapphirePage.htm

I do not get it why wilds global minerals is not in the PS recommended list. they are one of few gem dealer that I trusted the most. Anyway, if you are interested on wild's sapphire, you have to ask for more picture. I am not sure whether this stone has window or not (there is something in the middle of the stone, but I can clearly see what is that. it is either feather inclusion or window). TGT's sapphire also looks pretty nice too, but wild's sapphire is no heat! I bet that sapphire is 100% natural (no heat, no clarity enhancement, etc)

If you interested on other color, try to consider this one as well:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/sapphire/ysa122aa/&1396285136
close enough to orangey red. This color usually indicates beryllium diffused sapphire - not the case here! it's heat only sapphire. I had dealt with the owner a lot of times, but the dealt was all about other stone rather than sapphire. However, the owner is nice :angel:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

liao|1415339534|3778985 said:
I do not get it why wilds global minerals is not in the PS recommended list. they are one of few gem dealer that I trusted the most.

Yes, Wilds IS on the list.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sabrushi,
That's why I budgeted no more than $4K for the sapphire. If I go any higher, you will not be able to get the setting. As it is, I think the setting will cost more than the sapphire due to the sidestones and halo.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1415363331|3779058 said:
I do not get it why wilds global minerals is not in the PS recommended list. they are one of few gem dealer that I trusted the most.
Yes, Wilds IS on the list.
I think liao is referring to this eBay seller, who has not yet made it on to the respected CS vendor "sticky":
http://www.ebay.com/usr/wilds-globalminerals
The eBay pages make no claim that Wilds Global Minerals is affiliated with Constantin Wild in Idar-Oberstein, but the now-moribund etsy shop, home page suggests that's the case:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WILDSglobalminerals
Given the quality of the stones they list on eBay, and the prices, I'd be willing to bet they are part of the same corporate family.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Molly,
That is correct; I believe them to the under the same owner, and hence, they are only listed once on the sticky list.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

This one is round, but I think the size is close to what you want. The color looks good, and it is within budget. I think a stone this size will not need a halo, so you could get a less expensive setting with just diamond sidestones.

If you are limited in time, you may want to consider compromising on the shape or size. I would not compromise on color, and I tend to compromise on shape first as size is important to me.

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7932

31066.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

If you interested on other color, try to consider this one as well:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/sapphire/ysa122aa/&1396285136
close enough to orangey red. This color usually indicates beryllium diffused sapphire - not the case here! it's heat only sapphire. I had dealt with the owner a lot of times, but the dealt was all about other stone rather than sapphire. However, the owner is nice :angel:

That is well priced. I think the window will close as it's pretty small.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious|1415370684|3779115 said:
This one is round, but I think the size is close to what you want. The color looks good, and it is within budget. I think a stone this size will not need a halo, so you could get a less expensive setting with just diamond sidestones.

If you are limited in time, you may want to consider compromising on the shape or size. I would not compromise on color, and I tend to compromise on shape first as size is important to me.

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7932

That's a great one if the OP is open to rounds and in a rush. It is just shy of 8 mm and once halo-ed will be close to 10 mm, which is a lot of finger coverage, even without additional sidestones. It will also darken a bit once set, putting it squarely into the colour that the OP is looking for.

S

SparkliesLuver

Niel said:

After reading your description, Neil, these came to mind (as a rough idea). Sorry for the slight thread jack.

new_eg.jpg

007541.jpg

sr0120sl-wg-l-7x5_8.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Unlike what's depicted on Constantin Wild's new web site (different URL than in the sticky, altho' clicking on that link will take you to the new site)
http://www.constantinwild.com/en/
the stones offered by Wilds Global Minerals eBay store are immediately accessible to consumers for purchase. So I think it would be great to include both... like how Tan's "family" is represented by more than 1 link in the sticky, so people can feel comfortable ordering from any of his eBay shops.

Apologies for the detour, Sabrushie, but hopefully, you found it helpful to learn that Wilds Global Minerals is A-OK.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Molly,
Good point. Since I seem to have become the unspoken administrator responsible for keeping the list up to date, I will also add the other website to our list. :bigsmile:

liao

Shiny_Rock

Well, I know that they are affiliated with german company, but I never knew it is constantine wild! Anyway, the quality of the gem in their inventory this year has been depleting a little bit. I visited their store two months ago, and they only had 2 gem that caught my eye (one of them is listed in their ebay page).

OP, try to contact wilds, I knew they do not listed many gem online

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You should get in contact with Joe Escobar. He makes a lot of rigs that look very much your style. A few on his site are a bit over Budger, but maybe he can work with your budget to make one within your budget. Then its a one stop shop.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel,
From what I read recently, Joe Escobar will not sell internationally (only within the US).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1415381459|3779258 said:
Niel,
From what I read recently, Joe Escobar will not sell internationally (only within the US).
Oh, rats!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not to threadjack again, but I notice the list has one etsy vendor listed twice - once called out as a stone dealer, and once as a setter. Since that is true of several other etsy vendors as well, I will edit the list for equity and take out the double listing. And Chrono, there are many of us "unspoken administrators" on the thread as you well know! ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1415383487|3779290 said:
Not to threadjack again, but I notice the list has one etsy vendor listed twice - once called out as a stone dealer, and once as a setter. Since that is true of several other etsy vendors as well, I will edit the list for equity and take out the double listing. And Chrono, there are many of us "unspoken administrators" on the thread as you well know! ;))

Thank you, Minou. Yes, I was trying to hint that it's everyone's list so don't feel shy or hesitant to update the list.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1415383727|3779292 said:
minousbijoux|1415383487|3779290 said:

Thank you, Minou. Yes, I was trying to hint that it's everyone's list so don't feel shy or hesitant to update the list.

Funny, I got just the opposite out of your comment, lol!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In that case, it's a good thing I clarified! I am not the admin of the list and have no wish to be the sole admin of the list. :-o

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the list is definitely a "Tag, you're it!" kind of thing!

OP: apologies - threadjack officially over!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results