Help Finding a Round Diamond, 3k Budget

Bearcat8311

Rough_Rock
The Setting is a Rose gold Halo.

Things I know:
Round Diamond
Needs to be eye Clean
Color can be less because it is Rose gold. I was looking between H-J
Needs to be somewhere between .75-.99 Ct, obviously bigger the better.
Cut needs to be excellent(or VG, I've seen diamonds in person where everything is the same except VG and Ex cut, and I can't tell the difference?) However I know everyone says cut is the most important.

I've been to a few local jewelry stores. The Diamond that has been the most attractive to me was is below:
.86 J VS2 VG Strong Blue Flor. GIA Certified - $2650
I can't tell it has fluorescence in person and looks eye clean, may even look more colorless because of it. Seems like a good price? However i know stones with high florescence get discounted for whatever reason.

Open to other options and would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VG cut unfortunately is usually terrible. I would definitely rule out that one. What's your max budget?

Bearcat8311

Rough_Rock
VG cut unfortunately is usually terrible. I would definitely rule out that one. What's your max budget?

3000 is my Max budget. 6207198405 is the gia report for the above diamond I was looking at .

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I ask you what you mean by the 6mm Mark?
they mean that the stone is over 6mm in size. Carat weight doesn't mean as much as mm size in terms of how big a stone looks. Sometimes stones can be really deep and look smaller than their ct weight, so look at mm measurements rather than carat weight only.

The stone you linked is (unfortunately) not well cut. It is too deep, and the angles don't work well together. The one linked from Whiteflash is much better, plus buying from whiteflash comes with $1 upgrades, which helps if you ever want a larger stone. I 100% would not buy the one you were considering.

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
they mean that the stone is over 6mm in size. Carat weight doesn't mean as much as mm size in terms of how big a stone looks. Sometimes stones can be really deep and look smaller than their ct weight, so look at mm measurements rather than carat weight only.

The stone you linked is (unfortunately) not well cut. It is too deep, and the angles don't work well together. The one linked from Whiteflash is much better, plus buying from whiteflash comes with $1 upgrades, which helps if you ever want a larger stone. I 100% would not buy the one you were considering.

Thank you @lovedogs! :wavey:

@Bearcat8311 I'm currently saving for a starter A Cut Above diamond (ACA) so I can take advantage of Whiteflash's upgrade program. It's FANTASTIC! Your budget is actually close to what I hope to spend in October. (Fingers crossed!) My goal for spread is 6 mm. I want it to look as big as possible so I get the biggest bang for my buck.

There are some other Whiteflash stones ~.80 in your budget, but it looks like most are K in color.

Good luck! I know the other, more experienced Pricescopers will have some fabulous recommendations! :appl:

Bearcat8311

Rough_Rock
Can someone explain to me what to look for when it comes to cut? Or link to some good material on it? Thanks!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Because diamonds have known physical proprieties, like it’s refraction index, it largely becomes a mathematical exercise to work out what proportions will allow a diamond to reflect light back to a viewer through the top (ie crown side) rather than to let light leak out of the bottom (ie pavilion side).

GIA grades diamonds with a very broad system. Sometimes, a VG cut grade may come through if a diamond has less than excellent polishing or symmetry but otherwise has angle combinations that would be in the excellent cut grade.

The problem is that GIA’s Excellent cut grade encompasses many angle combinations (not to mention adding in table and depth) that do not provide good light performance.

Most of us on PS have a preference for stones graded by the American Gem Society Laboratory as they are the one lab that places a focus on cut quality rather than the other 3 C’s. That’s not to say that they don’t pay attention to the other three C’s (Colour, Clarity and Carat), but they primarily focus on cut.

As for links, there are plenty here on PS:

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/tolkowsky-ideal-cut-diamond

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a great find, heathcat24! It looks better than most Vs2. A gorgeous stone for a big value price.

Thanks! I think so, too! If it was October, it would be in my cart instead of on my wish list! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results