shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding 4ct round with $35k budget

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I’m wondering if a round is generally more expensive then cushion with everything else in terms of color weight and clarity being constant.

Yes.
Partly because they face up larger, which is of course precisely what your girlfriend noted!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly discourage anyone who is not extremely knowledgeable about diamonds to even consider auctions or any non-returnable vendor.

The diamonds you were offered very well may not be GIA graded, and that makes a huge difference since basically only GIA and AGS are reliable labs. PLease post the grading report here of any diamond you are considering and we can help you.

I think she needs a reality check on getting 4 carats at that budget because a well cut stone usually is going to appear larger and brighter than a poorly cut one. I'd personally get a 3 ct Whiteflash I VS2 or SI1 and then upgrade later if the desire is to have over 4cts.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly discourage anyone who is not extremely knowledgeable about diamonds to even consider auctions or any non-returnable vendor.

The diamonds you were offered very well may not be GIA graded, and that makes a huge difference since basically only GIA and AGS are reliable labs. PLease post the grading report here of any diamond you are considering and we can help you.

I think she needs a reality check on getting 4 carats at that budget because a well cut stone usually is going to appear larger and brighter than a poorly cut one. I'd personally get a 3 ct Whiteflash I VS2 or SI1 and then upgrade later if the desire is to have over 4cts.

All of this.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Rocko78 at the very top of PriceScope you will see a tab called "Resources". Click on this tab and then click on "Diamond Search" You can then set the filters to your desired search criteria and easily determine what kind of stones you can get for your budget.

In my experience the diamonds in your price range at auctions usually have very poor cuts. Auction sellers have to eat the buyers and sellers premium that could easily come to 30% of the total final sales price. They are being sold at auction because dealers in the trade don't want them, or if owned by a dealer are being sent to auction just to get rid of them!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far my local jeweler has offered me a 3.76 round si1/g and a slightly cheaper 4.13 cushion vs2/h. I don’t have any other details yet and I know it’s hard to judge from just that info but what would you recommend between the 2

Are these stones graded by GIA? I'd recommend neither if they're EGL.

And I must echo those who say to stay away from auctions at this point. You really need to know what you're doing in order to bid correctly. And you can't return it if you dont like it! No bueno.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I will post the lab info as soon as I find out. I’m assuming even if they are gia the lab info/details are still important factors right?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will post the lab info as soon as I find out. I’m assuming even if they are gia the lab info/details are still important factors right?

Very important. The lab is critical, as standards vary widely.

There is actually someone on the board selling a 4ct OEC (old European cut round) diamond. It's a K color VS1 or VS2. She's asking $43k which is a pretty fair price. The point is that I think your budget may be a bit low for 4 carats - and that's fine. Your girlfriend will have to deal with a slightly smaller rock. Not exactly a hardship lol.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Lol. Thanks all of this info is much appreciated.

Reactions: AV_

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Everyone's situation is different, but I personally do not know anyone who starts married life with a 4 ct diamond. Most of us who have larger sizes work our way up to them after many years together and many anniversaries.

I couldn't imagine anyone being disappointed by a well cut, sparkly 3 ct ring. JMHO

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience the diamonds in your price range at auctions usually have very poor cuts. Auction sellers have to eat the buyers and sellers premium that could easily come to 30% of the total final sales price. They are being sold at auction because dealers in the trade don't want them, or if owned by a dealer are being sent to auction just to get rid of them!

I'm sorry, but I must intervene. Some of the highest quality pieces have been sold at auctions. There are various reasons why someone sells at an auction. And various reasons why someone doesn't buy at auctions. What happens quite frequently: Dealers buying for good prices at auctions and re-selling for double or more. I agree that for a first time purchase for an engagement ring it is easiest and safest to just walk in a store and buy from a trusted seller. But to be honest, I thought about an upgrade or anniversary gift when I read 4 carats are concerned. And for such a purchase I myself would start looking out for what comes up at auctions. I have purchased some pieces at auctions and they are far from low quality. Finally I trust the gentleman who asked to be reasonable and intelligent enough to educate himself.

Last edited:

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was seeing some in the I color range. What color is considered “warm”? Sorry for newbie questions. The only advice I got so far was to look for si1 g diamonds but Hoping I can find lesser color for the budget I’m at.

I am not a professional at this, so this is only my opinion. If youre still considering James Allen, I could only find this 4.15 J VS1 for $34 690 USD. Goodluck on your search!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not a professional at this, so this is only my opinion. If youre still considering James Allen, I could only find this 4.15 J VS1 for $34 690 USD. Goodluck on your search!

I would not recommend that OP buys a stone with an IGI certificate since GIA/AGS are considered more stringent/strict. They also don't look like ideal cut stones based on the images/videos.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry, but I must intervene. Some of the highest quality pieces have been sold at auctions. There are various reasons why someone sells at an auction. And various reasons why someone doesn't buy at auctions. What happens quite frequently: Dealers buying for good prices at auctions and re-selling for double or more. I agree that for a first time purchase for an engagement ring it is easiest and safest to just walk in a store and buy from a trusted seller. But to be honest, I thought about an upgrade or anniversary gift when I read 4 carats are concerned. And for such a purchase I myself would start looking out for what comes up at auctions. I have purchased some pieces at auctions and they are far from low quality. Finally I trust the gentleman who asked to be reasonable and intelligent enough to educate himself.
I agree, I have seen some very high quality items at excellent prices at auctions. But, I wouldn't buy from an auction unless I could attend the preview and view the item I was interested in in person before bidding, unless I considered it a low-risk buy.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Thank you kalidiamond. I guess I hadn’t come across that one because I had “Gia” in my search parameters. But that’s definitely one to consider. I am still waiting on the specs and certification lab from my locally sourced stones.
again I really appreciate all the advice. This is such a helpful community

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Rocko78 at the very top of PriceScope you will see a tab called "Resources". Click on this tab and then click on "Diamond Search" You can then set the filters to your desired search criteria and easily determine what kind of stones you can get for your budget.

What’s your source for the information in your second paragraph?

I always ask for a condition report on diamonds and other gems. I’ve found that the reports are generally accurate. I have not yet bought a single diamond. But have bought rings and brooches. All have been as represented and lovely. I may be buying a diamond in June. I also ask for a video when I know I’ll be bidding on something. That helps a lot!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This! I think education is key. And I’ve never previewed in person and still have been quite satisfied with my auction purchases.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
For those who were wondering. The certification is by egl so I’m assuming it’s far inferior to the Gia options which are even say a grade lower.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Thank you lovedogs. Can you tell me why you wouldn’t recommend the diamond kali sent the link to from james Allen? I know it’s not gia. But it looks clear to me. I don’t see any inclusions. I understand the color is warm. But is there something else you see that makes it undesirable in the cuts or other details ? Thank you in advance

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never even heard of IGI, I'd stay away. As for EGL, forget about it. Stick with GIA or AGS.

The problem is that different labs have different grading standards as far as color and clarity go. GIA and AGS are uniform and strict. You really know what you're getting. With the other labs you really can't be sure. Your J color could well be a GIA L or M color. We've seen it happen.

Last edited:

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Thank you star facet I will reach out to them!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you lovedogs. Can you tell me why you wouldn’t recommend the diamond kali sent the link to from james Allen? I know it’s not gia. But it looks clear to me. I don’t see any inclusions. I understand the color is warm. But is there something else you see that makes it undesirable in the cuts or other details ? Thank you in advance

I can't see the certificates since JA only shows them by request. However, GIA and AGS are the best respected labs for good reason. Also, they just don't look particularly well cut to my eye (black areas around the table that look like "shadows", etc).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old World Diamonds has a 4.50 ct. O-P color VS2 Old European cut diamond that has a GIA cert for $33,413. You'd have to contact Adam for an image. Not sure if the OEC facet pattern interests you or not.
https://oldworlddiamonds.com/diamon...WEIGHT&shape=EU&item=diamond&referer=diamonds

And while you’re reaching out to Old World Diamonds, just have a chat with Adam. Tell him your requirements and budget and see what he suggests. He may have stones not listed. He has a very good eye for beautiful OECs. He can also send videos. And check out his YouTube channel as well. He posts a lot of stones there. If you find one that interests you, you can ask home to send more videos in different lighting environments and backgrounds.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I saw his Instagram video just after I sent him a message. And yes it looks beautiful to my untrained eye

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw his Instagram video just after I sent him a message. And yes it looks beautiful to my untrained eye

I would just make 100% sure that your GF is ok with an OEC. Adam is incredible with OECs and I would trust him 100000%, but OECs are a totally different look than round brilliant stones. So I wouldn't want your GF to be expecting a round brilliant and then get an OEC and be dissapointed

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Thank you again for this great advice.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What’s your source for the information in your second paragraph?

I always ask for a condition report on diamonds and other gems. I’ve found that the reports are generally accurate. I have not yet bought a single diamond. But have bought rings and brooches. All have been as represented and lovely. I may be buying a diamond in June. I also ask for a video when I know I’ll be bidding on something. That helps a lot!

The source is me! :mrgreen2:

DW and I have been looking at 4+ct diamonds for the past year or so, and attended a great many Heritage and Bonhams auction previews in LA. I understand the OP is looking for an MRB, and I can assure you we looked at lot, and none of them had excellent cuts. I know that because these auction houses always provide GIA certs on any diamond estimated over $10K. No need for a condition report, other than to find out about any damage.

Does that mean there wasn't any well cut stones, or that there are not well cut stones at Sotheby's or Christie's. No, of course not, but they are always high color and clarity and sell for far more than $35K.

If you or @Roselina could provide links to 4+ct, well cut, decent color and clarity MRBs with GIA certs, and currently selling at auction for less than $35K all in, I would love to see them.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results