shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding 4ct round with $35k budget

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I advise eliminating OECs. The primary reason is that she wants size. OECs usually face up smaller than Excellent cut round brilliants due to higher crowns and greater depth. Not to mention, OEC prices are high now. Stones below J will show a visible tint, as well. I think you are on the right track with I-J VS2-SI1 stones.

I have found a stone that is slightly outside the parameters I normally use, but the stone is huge and a decent excellent cut diamond, just not as perfect as a superideal cut. But since this is much closer to your pricepoint and better than most at that size and price, I'd recommend this stone for you.

Very similar stone just to show you the price variation and why the price above is good.

Last edited:

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I agree with you diamondseeker after looking at more pix we are leaning more towards rbc now. Thanks for the 2 new options that you have linked

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
And I am now able to see what everyone has been trying to show me by the 2 stones you linked how very different the cuts make the diamond appear.
what is your opinion on the j vs2 in your first link vs the j vs1 with strong fluorescence ($30k)that was linked to previously. There is a $7k difference so I’m wondering if you think the stone with better cuts is worth the price.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I am now able to see what everyone has been trying to show me by the 2 stones you linked how very different the cuts make the diamond appear.
what is your opinion on the j vs2 in your first link vs the j vs1 with strong fluorescence ($30k)that was linked to previously. There is a $7k difference so I’m wondering if you think the stone with better cuts is worth the price.

Can you link the two you are asking about? So many stones have been recommended at this point I want to make sure we are looking at the right thing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I have read to avoid etch channels in SI1 stones and lower clarity, but it should be fine in a VS1 (hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong). I visually prefer the look of the 4.01.

Thank you! And I remember you mentioning the etch channels the first time u brought up this stone. I will look into that more

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! And I remember you mentioning the etch channels the first time u brought up this stone. I will look into that more

Yeah, they are basically tiny little tunnels. There is some concern about durability in lower clarity grades, but VS1 should be safe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read to avoid etch channels in SI1 stones and lower clarity, but it should be fine in a VS1 (hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong). I visually prefer the look of the 4.01.

I would think you are right about the clarity. I am okay with him buying that 4.01, but I personally prefer the cut of the 4.02 (second one) because of the 75 lower girdle facets. The video helps, too.

The only thing you need to be sure about with the 4.01 is whether she'd mind very strong blue fluorescence. I generally favor it, but most jewelers will consider it a negative (for no good reason). The main time she'd see it is when having her nails done and being under the UV light when drying her nails. It will light up like a bluish-purple bulb! There are people who will consider the stone inferior because of that. She needs to understand that part. I'd rather pay more and not have that issue if she would want to wear her rings when having her nails done. That may sound silly to some, but it's something to consider.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think you are right about the clarity. I am okay with him buying that 4.01, but I personally prefer the cut of the 4.02 (second one) because of the 75 lower girdle facets. The video helps, too.

The only thing you need to be sure about with the 4.01 is whether she'd mind very strong blue fluorescence. I generally favor it, but most jewelers will consider it a negative (for no good reason). The main time she'd see it is when having her nails done and being under the UV light when drying her nails. It will light up like a bluish-purple bulb! There are people who will consider the stone inferior because of that. She needs to understand that part. I'd rather pay more and not have that issue if she would want to wear her rings when having her nails done. That may sound silly to some, but it's something to consider.

Totally fair point! I think both are very good for the price.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much guys! At least I have narrowed it down to 2

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pavilion-side etch channels are a no-go for me even in the VS clarity grades. If you are choosing a four or eight prong setting, you could either put the prongs on the bezels (which will cover the arrows but is more secure), or you could put the prongs over the UGF meets (which won’t cover the arrows, but because the UGF meet is a raised intersection, the stone may loosen over time and turn so the prongs rest on the lower, flat bezels). If you choose the latter the concentrations of etch channels will rest closer to the prong seats, but given the size of this stone and crown height it will not be possible to fully prong the etch channel areas. You could prong them with a six-prong setting.

Those channels are why that stone is listed for so much less than comparables, by the way.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
The dealer called me back on this stone and strongly advised against this. I asked if it was because of the mentioned etch channels and he said he didn’t even look that far. The strong fluorescence was a bigger issue for him. So I found a few more to consider

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dealer called me back on this stone and strongly advised against this. I asked if it was because of the mentioned etch channels and he said he didn’t even look that far. The strong fluorescence was a bigger issue for him. So I found a few more to consider

Which dealer? B2C? Strong fluor is rarely an issue, but of course what @diamondseeker2006 pointed out is valid (that not everyone likes fluor). What about the other one (the VS2)?

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I called adiamor because they are local

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I didn’t see the vs2 on the adiamor sight so not sure if he would have been able to help. Also I dunno if there is another reason why he would have advised against it. Especially since he wasn’t considering etch channels. He recommended staying away from anything above medium fluorescence

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t see the vs2 on the adiamor sight so not sure if he would have been able to help. Also I dunno if there is another reason why he would have advised against it. Especially since he wasn’t considering etch channels. He recommended staying away from anything above medium fluorescence

I think ruling out strong fluor is going to be tricky, especially given your other existing preferences that are already ruling out a lot of options. I would rule out the SI2, as I am concerned about the inclusions. Do you have real images of the 3.64 SI1?

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I only have the 360 viewer on the 3.64. There are more images on the other diamond

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I think I will try to see the strong fluorescence one anyway

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Grade-making crystal at 4 o'clock:
1591738737646.png
This crystal will sit atop the pavilion mains, which obstruct (go black) up close. Diamonds are graded face-up, so a black crystal would be black-on-black - inoffensive at close viewing distance. As soon as the stone is angled slightly, or viewing distance increases, that crystal now appears black-on-grey or black-on-white - much more visible.

Clarity grading scale is not linear relative to objective inclusion size & visibility... A given inclusion might be acceptable in a 5ct VS2 but might cause clarity of a 0.5ct to drop to SI2. A 4ct SI2 on the virtual market is extremely unlikely to be eyeclean to particular standards across all lighting environments - if it WAS the rare eyeclean SI2 of significant size tradepeople earlier in the food chain would have snatched it up long before it reached virtual inventory.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Thank you yssie

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize I'm being a dishrag @Rocko78. The reality is that your budget is simply not enough for an excellent specimen in your desired size/colour range. It's not even high enough for "minor sacrifice" - that size is going to come at the expense of something that most buyers would consider "meaningful". The stones you are looking at are all priced the way they are because they've got flaws that impinge on durability, visible appeal (clarity/transparency/etc.), or both.

If you're okay with this type of non-trivial, non-meaningless tradeoff then you're making an educated decision, and an educated decision inherently can't be a bad decision. But you need to be making an educated decision.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I understand what youre saying and I will consider either increasing my budget or maybe look closer to 3.5ct

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
And definitely my girlfriend isn’t concerned with any of these flaws. I’m just trying to make the best purchase and I appreciate all the feedback and opinions I have gotten so far

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize I'm being a dishrag @Rocko78. The reality is that your budget is simply not enough for an excellent specimen in your desired size/colour range. It's not even high enough for "minor sacrifice" - that size is going to come at the expense of something that most buyers would consider "meaningful". The stones you are looking at are all priced the way they are because they've got flaws that impinge on durability, visible appeal (clarity/transparency/etc.), or both.

If you're okay with this type of non-trivial, non-meaningless tradeoff then you're making an educated decision, and an educated decision inherently can't be a bad decision. But you need to be making an educated decision.

Agreed 100%

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One option: $35050 USD: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-8405809

1591740460467.png

Not the proportions PS zeitgeist normally recommends but they will work well together, the stone spreads nicely, the slightly thick girdle (and sheer diamond size) mitigate the chipping risk of the shallow crown, and the short lower halves will enable more coloured light output across various lighting environments than longer lower halves would given these proportions. Downside, of course, is that it's a bit of a sacrifice on size.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results