shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding 4ct round with $35k budget

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I would just make 100% sure that your GF is ok with an OEC. Adam is incredible with OECs and I would trust him 100000%, but OECs are a totally different look than round brilliant stones. So I wouldn't want your GF to be expecting a round brilliant and then get an OEC and be dissapointed

I was going to add the same thing that he should make sure his GF is ok with the OEC diamond. Which also makes me wonder why OCE are quite cheaper (same size, quality cut) than RB? Is it popularity of RBs? Unusual look of OEC that people are not familiar with?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

3.79 Emerald Cut with GIA report
$18k - not mine! One example as requested. I think experiences differ. Hope you can find a good stone sometime at auction PRS - best of luck.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to add the same thing that he should make sure his GF is ok with the OEC diamond. Which also makes me wonder why OCE are quite cheaper (same size, quality cut) than RB? Is it popularity of RBs? Unusual look of OEC that people are not familiar with?

Oecs are less popular, and are often 'warmer' in color. Those taken together likely explain the price difference. Also they tend to be deeper than RBs so they face up smaller for the same ct weight.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
You have been given great advice already. However, i wanted to give you my 2c worth as well, if you will allow. Of course, you can dismiss my post if you so choose, i do not mind.

Like most posters have said- education is key. ie research is important or ask one of the PSers who have done a lot of research for their own stones and they do know their 'stuff'.

Of course, everyone differs and there will be slight nuances of what each person prefers. However, the general rule is the same- cut is king. :)

Auction houses have some great stuff IF you know what you are looking for (hence, reading/ researching is really important). However,i sense that you are a novice and you will need a lot of guidance with what you are considering.

As far as lab reports are concerned - i found this that could be of interest to you when talking about IGI reports.

Most reports from which ever lab will give you numbers ( crown/ pavilion angle/ crown height etc) for the stone. To guestimate the sparkle .. plug the numbers into the HCA tool.
Ppl have been advised mostly from stores that a diamond with a GIA report and XXX (excellent cut/symmetry/ polish) is a great stone. But, we (at PS land) know better because of the HCA tool. And this has proven to be so in all of the stones that our regular PSers have purchased and advised with

However, the biggest difference with the labs that do the report will be the colour grading. GIA and AGS are fairly similar... Some other labs will colour grade them differently. So you have to be mindful of that. THerefore, comparing reports and pricing can get tricky.

to confuse even more: ROUND diamonds have many different flavours/ styles of cut.
a) Modern Round Brilliant - the one that is the 'standard' these days.. cut to specific proportions... In this zone there are many tighter cut restrictions to give you Hearts and arrows/ ideals/ super ideals/
b) Old European Cut- my favourite round cut- totally different flavour/ style of cut different play on the colour of the stone. floral (broader) pattern of the facets, Higher/ puffier crowns, the stone can reflect more of its surroudings.
c) Late OEC/Transitional- similar to old cuts... but facet patterning starting to move away from the floral style.
d) Early modern/ Towolsky..facet patterning starting to resemble the moderns we see today.

As many posters have mentioned, education is most important.
Yes, def ask the wearer (GF /partner/ wife/SO/) what it that s/he prefers.
4ct is a sizeable stone and the facet patterning is going to be visible. Colour of the stone is going to be noticeable or not. and it may not be an issue at all. these will help narrow down your search.

PSers will guide you and will get you the stone that will be within budget for what most ppl will go wow with.... If a modern round is chose but if the wearer doesnt like moderns and has an antique obsession, a modern round stone is not going to cut it. and money that you have spent on that stone is 'wasted' , and at that kinda budget.. it is a shame.

If you guys havent been ring shopping, i would strongly advise it.
Colour sensitivity affects some, and not others.
Facet patterning (floral v Hearts and arrows) affects some and not others.
precision cutting- very crisp hearts and arrows?
high crowns may be attractive, or not..
brightness/ bling will be affected by the store lighting and natural lighting.

there are lots of variables.

So sorry if this is all too confusing. but it is quite a journey that some of us love and others do not. :)

This is such an exciting project! i catn wait to see what becomes of it.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i forget- did you say you have an egl report for the stone that you are looking at?

What does it say?
we would be keen to know what they are offering you.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
1591672254299.jpeg
I only have a pic of the egl stone which is 3.76ct g/si1 and 10.05mm
1591672254299.jpeg

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Sorry pdf didn’t attach right 991AC518-3B03-499A-B51A-30A02689E626.png

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
WIth the picture of the egl G Si stone. i personally woudl pass. i do not think that the stone is eye clean, but i coudl be wrong. FOr a stone this size, i want it to be eye clean. but of course, the budget will play a role.

so need to tweak what are the compromises on the stone that you would make.

then again, eye clean may be something that is not an issue?

if you are getting other pictures, you would want to have it in profile view as well.
I have not reviewed the GIA report for the F stone.

I would look at VS1 and higher clarity

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The gia one won't be eye clean, and the crown angle is pretty steep. I think you'll either want to go with a gorgeous OEC to hit the 4ct mark (if that is ok with your gf), or get a super ideal 3+ct stone and eventually upgrade if needed to 4ct.

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
E78F9D71-C5B5-4A56-A058-D13A6E84306E.jpeg
how about this vs1. It’s a j color but the fluorescence makes it look white to me. If price was same would you recommend something like this or an oec?
The setting will be in white gold and I know I will have to get a warmer color. So trying to figure out which will look whiter

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Oec and mrb have 2 different facet patterning.
And each will have a different play/ reflection/ absorption of the surrounding lights..even if they share the colour that is described by GIA.

Does she have a preference of which type of cut?
I wrote a few things to consider above, which may help?

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I showed her pix of the oec today And she didn’t seem to have a preference from pictures alone. I think the way we perceived the color and clarity is most important. If that makes sense. So now I’m just wondering if the oec would be better then a low color with fluorescence. Also from my limited research it seems like people use more antique settings for the oec. I’m planning on a simple 4 prong setting with the thinnest possible pave band with white gold

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
I apologize I should just take more time to read your posts. I’m sure I will find my answers if I look again

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Just found the hca tool and I will try to use that

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I showed her pix of the oec today And she didn’t seem to have a preference from pictures alone. I think the way we perceived the color and clarity is most important. If that makes sense. So now I’m just wondering if the oec would be better then a low color with fluorescence. Also from my limited research it seems like people use more antique settings for the oec. I’m planning on a simple 4 prong setting with the thinnest possible pave band with white gold

just so that you are aware the colour on the device screen is going to be slightly different to what you see in person. It is all about light and how the diamond reflects the light that is surrouding it.

It is good that you are talking about the stone of choice.. she is then actively making a decision on her tolerances as she is the one that is going to look at it most.

I would strongly encourage both of you to go into a store to find out what your colour and clarity tolerances are. Once you know that, it will narrow the search.

OEC are antique cuts. it can be sent anyway you like. there is nothing wrong setting in a simple 4 prong with pave. but be aware that the colour of the pave diamond can compliment your main stone or compete with it.

sorry for the introducing more complications.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also from my limited research it seems like people use more antique settings for the oec. I’m planning on a simple 4 prong setting with the thinnest possible pave band with white gold
If this helps, I used to have a New European round in a simple solitaire with tiny diamonds on the shank. This setting was by Caysie van Bebber.
0303182056.jpg

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
Lovedogs and gregchang, that’s what I was thinking. That the tool would only apply to rbc and also would it be a challenge to find matching small stones for the pave band for the oec.
I think all that is left is to see these in person and make a decision. Most places are opening up in Los Angeles so I will start soon.

snowdrop, that oec 5ct will definitely be up on my list if she prefers this cut when seen in person.
Thanks again everyone.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding the J VS1 I would want to make sure that the VSB fluorescence did not impact the stone. I like fluorescence myself, but tend to shy away from strong fluorescence.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E78F9D71-C5B5-4A56-A058-D13A6E84306E.jpeg
how about this vs1. It’s a j color but the fluorescence makes it look white to me. If price was same would you recommend something like this or an oec?
The setting will be in white gold and I know I will have to get a warmer color. So trying to figure out which will look whiter

@lovedogs posted this one earlier on. Pictures are at this link

I found the stone cheaper somewhere...let me look. What is the price they are offering you?

Edit...found it here...$33,100 wired. Most vendors will price match if you prefer to deal with a different vendor.

EDIT...ignore the above. Here it is at $29,925 wired

Last edited:

Rocko78

Rough_Rock
@lovedogs posted this one earlier on. Pictures are at this link

I found the stone cheaper somewhere...let me look. What is the price they are offering you?

Edit...found it here...$33,100 wired. Most vendors will price match if you prefer to deal with a different vendor.

EDIT...ignore the above. Here it is at $29,925 wired

wow! Thank you so much. I had seen the adiamor ad previously so this is a much better price

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results