shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Help find a Padparadscha for an engagement ring.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I'm trying to find a Padparadscha Sapphire for an engagement ring (for my girl-friend). I have read the buying guide thread, which has some great info for a newcomer like me. Quality is more important to me than size. Here's basically what I would love to find:

1. 2 ct +
2. Pinkish-Orange
3. untreated
4. up to $15,000
5. AGL Prestige report (preferred)

I'm wondering what you all think of these two:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-8-padparadscha-sapphires/p-34177-cushion-padparadscha-sapphire-pa2267/

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-8-padparadscha-sapphires/p-53340-cushion-padparadscha-sapphire-pa2398/#AssetData5

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1402273608|3689042 said:
um, those are brown.

can you relax you criteria to allow for heating only;

http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html
I was going to post the same thing and post the same stone. I think that's just beautiful. I swear he just had it listed for 15, maybe hell take offers?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

saracen

Shiny_Rock
I definitely prefer an unheated stone. I know I'm new to this, but from everything I've read, I do prefer a natural stone (color).

And, yes, that's a beautiful stone. A bit out of my range but could probably swing it (if it wasn't heated).

saracen

Shiny_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402276466|3689059 said:
I don't quite understand how these are also pinkish-orange. I take it this has to do with the color intensity. I would have thought 'vivid' (first link) is more sought after than 'intense' (second link).

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-8-padparadscha-sapphires/p-34177-cushion-padparadscha-sapphire-pa2267/

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-8-padparadscha-sapphires/p-33965-cushion-padparadscha-sapphire-pa2034/

For pads is actually different than say a blue or pink sapphire, the trade ideal is a lighter color.
I dont really like any of the NSC ones so far. I would hate for you to sacrifice a nice color just to get an unheated stone.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1402274298|3689047 said:
I just saw this listing on LT for an unheated 3.35 ct AGL cert'd pad for $7500.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/3-dot-35ct-unheated-agl-certified-padparadscha-sapphire

I bought a stone from this same seller before, and I will say, the stone was MUCH prettier in person than her pictures showed; not to knock her photography skills; just saying ... might be worth a look.

Ding ding ding! Just coming to post that. 3+ carats, AGL certified untreated, under 8K! That is an amazing stone and price.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don't think many of the Natural sapphire company's padparadcha would be graded padparadhca by a big lab like AGL or GIA
The one on loupe troop is way to included and hazy or milky
Fine water gems stone is the only pad Ive seen online , heated or unheated pad are very difficult to find and finding a well cut clean true padparadcha even if heated is a difficult thing to do .
My advice - buy a heated stone, its not that bad of a treatment not chemicals have been added to the heat in order to bring out more colour just natural low temperature heating to bring out the natural potential locked in the stone.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1402277367|3689066 said:
JoCoJenn|1402274298|3689047 said:
I just saw this listing on LT for an unheated 3.35 ct AGL cert'd pad for $7500.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/3-dot-35ct-unheated-agl-certified-padparadscha-sapphire

I bought a stone from this same seller before, and I will say, the stone was MUCH prettier in person than her pictures showed; not to knock her photography skills; just saying ... might be worth a look.

Ding ding ding! Just coming to post that. 3+ carats, AGL certified untreated, under 8K! That is an amazing stone and price.

Well, it says no heat evidence on the AGL cert, BUT ... OP would need to get a pic of the full cert, as to the right of it, beside "Additional", I see the words "Clarity Enhancem..." and it cuts off in the picture. So, OP would need to see it in full to know what follows that statement and if there is any additional clarity enhancement noted. Maybe it says "none" afterward; don't know. BUT it's a really pretty pad of fantastic size and at a great price, depending on that one piece of the puzzle. But definitely worth reaching out to the seller on it!

saracen

Shiny_Rock
treasurehunter|1402277776|3689069 said:
I don't think many of the Natural sapphire company's padparadcha would be graded padparadhca by a big lab like AGL or GIA
The one on loupe troop is way to included and hazy or milky
Fine water gems stone is the only pad Ive seen online , heated or unheated pad are very difficult to find and finding a well cut clean true padparadcha even if heated is a difficult thing to do .
My advice - buy a heated stone, its not that bad of a treatment not chemicals have been added to the heat in order to bring out more colour just natural low temperature heating to bring out the natural potential locked in the stone.

Hmmm. That fine water one is more and more attractive now. I just want the perfect stone for the perfect girl. I think the fine water one would look great without any additional stones on the ring. Still unsure of the heat treatment....will do more reading though.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your setting ideas??

I really do think that finewater gems is worth looking into a bit.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1402279345|3689086 said:

I will look into it. I'm guessing FIne Water is a reputable retailer.

As far as setting, she likes a pave ring with a triangle or oval shaped diamond on either side of the stone. My thought is that it depends on the stone though, and the Fine Water once is so brilliant that I would probably just do a simple setting to show it off. Just my thoughts. I do have a little freedom. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402279603|3689089 said:
Niel|1402279345|3689086 said:

I will look into it. I'm guessing FIne Water is a reputable retailer.

As far as setting, she likes a pave ring with a triangle or oval shaped diamond on either side of the stone. My thought is that it depends on the stone though, and the Fine Water once is so brilliant that I would probably just do a simple setting to show it off. Just my thoughts. I do have a little freedom. :)

Yes that's a very reputable vendor. They offer a return period too. I've purchased two stone from him and it was as easy as could be. He even provided me a video of the stone. So I bet he would for a purchase of this size.

As for the setting, a lot of people still think a colored stone e ring needs some diamonds to it. Some don't. But if she said she likes diamonds on the setting, I'd stick with that.

If she likes side stones AND pave. I'd probably just do some side stones and save the pave for the wedding band. I agree that stone could stand on its own, so it doesn't need both side stones and pave. The FW stone would look good with cushiony oval side stones, sense you said she likes ovals .

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Niel.

All makes good sense.

I will still keep an eye out for an unheated stone. The wildfishgems site has some explanations on why heated stones aren't sought after, etc. I guess I'm also still learning.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like the loupetroupe stone quite a bit. I happen to like silky and hazy padparadchas because they can get a beautiful "glow" in person. I do think that the AGL report should show what the "clarity enhancement" comments are. The seller, OTL, is a member of pricescope as well. She sometimes posts here. One must be careful though if sales are final on Loupetroupe, as they often are, but if that's a 3+ carat unheated padparadcha from Sri Lanka, I think its a very good deal.

As for the finewater stone, it's pretty too, but I would ask him to photograph it against a whiter background, and also in natural light. One should see these stones in various light sources, and that goes for the loupetroupe stone as well.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for Finewater.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No to all of the NSC sapphires. In fact, no to all of their pad sapphires in general, because I just looked and if they aren't windowed and have ugly cuts, they are brown and/or more red than pink.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/heated-vs-unheated-sapphire.202584/

Here is another pad sapphire that I know came up recently, but I don't know if it's still for sale. It has a GRS cert stating that it is unheated. But it has a window. And it's not very large. I think it was around the 2ct mark.

http://instagram.com/p/m0_FXeg_T_/

http://instagram.com/p/mqdjs0A_Xv/

Here are a couple others that look ok. Both are unheated. Both are pretty small.
http://www.africagems.com/sapphire-padparadsha-ja228.html

http://www.africagems.com/radiant-sapphire-ic-sa-1683.html

Otherwise, because pads are so rare, I'd go with Finewater. I don't personally care about heating and unheating when it comes to these stones, the beauty of the stone is what matters, and so long as you're paying a good price for the level of treatment, I'm all for low-heated stones.

I would 100% NOT go with the Loupetroop stone.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can wait for an unheated stone but .. you will be waiting a long time and by that time your lady will be an old one :naughty:
I think most of those pad unheated stones will be sold very quickly to discerning international jewellers like the Cartier type people, its like trying to find a Unheated Burmese Ruby most are sold before they reach the market.
Best bet would be to go to Tucson and look there.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
treasurehunter|1402294071|3689198 said:
You can wait for an unheated stone but .. you will be waiting a long time and by that time your lady will be an old one :naughty:
I think most of those pad unheated stones will be sold very quickly to discerning international jewellers like the Cartier type people, its like trying to find a Unheated Burmese Ruby most are sold before they reach the market.
Buuuuut, Tucson is in February. So, that'd be 8 months away.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
treasurehunter|1402294071|3689198 said:

Another option is to look for orangey pink sapphires, and not search for a marketing name. You can even search for pink sapphires, and see if there is any orange in them or a hue you like.

Unfortunately, I think padparadchas, as well as Burmese rubies, are the two most difficult gemstones to shop for, and that goes for experts, let alone novices.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
by treasurehunter » 09 Jun 2014 00:07
You can wait for an unheated stone but .. you will be waiting a long time and by that time your lady will be an old one

Yes - I agree - a heated stone with a Certificate would be a very good choice - easier to find a stone with the right color + clarity and a good cut. You are not the only one who wants an unheated top quality pad - gentle heat is common and has a long tradition with beautiful results.

In Tucson you will have a choice to compare several pads - you will find the right one.

TL: Pink or hot pink Sapphire a very good idea!!!!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1402281800|3689102 said:
I actually like the loupetroupe stone quite a bit. I happen to like silky and hazy padparadchas because they can get a beautiful "glow" in person. I do think that the AGL report should show what the "clarity enhancement" comments are. The seller, OTL, is a member of pricescope as well. She sometimes posts here. One must be careful though if sales are final on Loupetroupe, as they often are, but if that's a 3+ carat unheated padparadcha from Sri Lanka, I think its a very good deal.

As for the finewater stone, it's pretty too, but I would ask him to photograph it against a whiter background, and also in natural light. One should see these stones in various light sources, and that goes for the loupetroupe stone as well.

I'm a fan of the LT one too, it reminds me of Widget's old one with the silk. Yum.

The Finewater one is gorgeous too. I didn't suggest it because I thought it might be out of budget but if not I hope someone buys it and posts endless pictures :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402273322|3689041 said:
This sapphire has a LOT of brown in it. I am also not a fan of GRS lab reports.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-8-padparadscha-sapphires/p-53340-cushion-padparadscha-sapphire-pa2398/#AssetData5
The colour is better than the first in that there is less brown but it's still far from a nice looking padparadscha. I also question the clarity grading since there is a fairly large natural at the girdle and a feather on the lower left that could be eye visible up close. No lab report and who knows what it will come back as.

Neither have good saturation. The reason the colour looks strong is because the brown is very strong and overpowers the pink orange hue, making the sapphires look predominantly brown instead of pink orange.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results