shape
carat
color
clarity

Help find a bag for the poor and ho-hum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 1:43:28 AM
Author: TravelingGal
I love watches. I bought $100 watches when I was younger, then $500, then even more. I have not spent over $1000ish for a watch. Can I fathom ever spending $5000? Well, not now, but if my finances allowed me to, I could certainly see myself justifying something like that.
HELL TO THE YES!!! I could NOT agree MORE. If I had it to spend -- a 5K, 10K watch would be tippitty top toppie on my list of CARNAL-level NEEDS. And I would have the Jaeger-LeCoutre Reverso Duo. It would be mine, I say, MINE!

Ironically, it''s very similar in shape to the Tiffany watch I have now but I am OBSESSED. Maybe I''d get the leather strap instead of stainless ... maybe I''d get one with the black face so it flips white to black ... oh I DUNNO... it would be different ENOUGH. Previously I''ve oogled Cartier & Tag ... but JAEGER
18.gif
. So "ME".
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 12:20:33 PM
Author: Mara
mwahah TG...i was really not a BAG lover before!!!! or ever. i bought like one every few years maybe and it was a nine west for like $60.

but yes you are probably right re: the $1k bag crowd. i am totally like a little gasping guppie trying to swim with the big sharks now.
41.gif

I''ve never been a bag/purse gal at all. It wasn''t until I had kids and had to start carrying a diaper bag that I started to want something cute to keep their stuff in. My diapers bags actually cost more than any of my purses. I''ve always been a TJ Maxx purse girl. Recently though, my youngest is potty training and I don''t have to carry a big diaper bag any more. I just really wanted something hip and cute that is well made to splurge on, which is why I did the b-bag. the nice thing is they do keep their value if they are taken care of and I''d want to sell it, but I picked a favorite color so I''d be surprised if I ever wanted to sell it. I guess it''s possible but I can see myself wearing for years to come. I tend to wear the same purse forever and don''t change often. believe me, I''m a guppie too and will always stay a guppie.

there are definitely some very affordable cute purses out there though..

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mokey, I have looked at them. For whatever reason, I have not found a style that I like. I seem to be drawn to BCBG or Kenneth Cole. Maybe I like "name/designer" brands, even though now I know they are not really high end *designer* (bad PS!) I do agree though..they are great for organization. I am not sure I will find a bag in the near future. But this thread has been fun because we can go off on bag-related tangent, hence keeping that b-bag thread "purebred". Hee hee. I still really like that red bag I posted though...wish I knew what it was.

Mara, I am not afraid!
9.gif
I will really be the last person to buy a very expensive bag unless I miraculously get it for $200. I am a bag SLOB. Pens leak in my bag. Lipstick lids come off. I just don''t take care of it the way some do. In restaurants, I just throw my bag on the floor!

But I do agree that having friends with expensive taste CAN be an influence. Perception just has a way of changing.

BTW, the gasping guppy was responsible for creating quite a bbag stir here, so don''t underestimate guppy power!

Deco, which watch do you want? Post pics! I am not a real watch connoisseur, meaning that I don''t appreciate the mechanics, etc. I just buy watches based on what styles I like. I am sure my Baume&Mercier is technically a piece of crap, but I liked the masculinity of the watch a few years ago and I am still not tired of it. I thought the Franck Muller watches were fun, but for that price range, I would start looking for watches that ARE a bit more respected mechanically. There hasn''t been a watch in the last few years that has caught my eye...but I have been good and not actively looking. And lord knows I have not tried anything on! Danger, danger (like touching veins and buttah!)

mrssalvo - graduating from diaperbagdom seems a great reason to me to treat yourself to something nice!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 12:30:58 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 11/19/2006 1:43:28 AM
I love watches. I bought $100 watches when I was younger, then $500, then even more. I have not spent over $1000ish for a watch. Can I fathom ever spending $5000? Well, not now, but if my finances allowed me to, I could certainly see myself justifying something like that.
HELL TO THE YES!!! I could NOT agree MORE. If I had it to spend -- a 5K, 10K watch would be tippitty top toppie on my list of CARNAL-level NEEDS. And I would have the Jaeger-LeCoutre Reverso Duo. It would be mine, I say, MINE!

Ironically, it''s very similar in shape to the Tiffany watch I have now but I am OBSESSED. Maybe I''d get the leather strap instead of stainless ... maybe I''d get one with the black face so it flips white to black ... oh I DUNNO... it would be different ENOUGH. Previously I''ve oogled Cartier & Tag ... but JAEGER
18.gif
. So ''ME''.
3.gif
Googled that watch Deco...I have seen it before. It would certainly come in handy for me when I was long distance with TGuy!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, let me just say that I have no problem with anyone buying an expensive bag. But with my luck, I''d buy the b-bag, decide after two years that I wanted something else, and by then something else would be THE bag (I guarantee this!), and I''d never get anything close to what I paid for it. My Aigner bags really do not wear out because they are very well made, but I sort of enjoy getting a new one every couple of years, so I have no guilt about that if I''ve only spent a hundred bucks! Soemthing like Coach would be a splurge for me, and that is more likely the top level I''d go to. I really liked some of the Via Spiga bags which were quite reasonable. Here''s one that reminded me a lot of the B-bag in the blue india color. $168 versus $1000+.

viaspiga168.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

I kind of found a bag that is simple but stil interesting. Too big, wrong color, but I''m getting closer...

Ferragamo:

prodImage23423.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
and this via spiga...again, wrong color, wrong size...

BTW, a friend told me the other day that she thinks a bag she got on Bluefly was fake. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

prodImage234453.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hm...but it doesn''t work for me in black (just found it). Maybe I should find a bag in a different color. All the bags I like are not black!

prodImagegjhguy.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh I like both of those TG.

I have a few pairs Ferragamo boots from the outlet near here. They always have size 11''s - bless ''em!! And Via Spiga has been responsible for a LOT of action in this thread -- not too shabby V.S.!

As to Bluefly fakes -- wow -- they offer easy returns so I tend not to believe it. But, gosh, hope it isn''t true. I usually am buying stuff that wouldn''t be "knocked off" so I can''t say I''ve gotten a legit Christian Dior or something from them. But I''ve always gotten great items at great prices.
*Shrug*

My NYC fashion designer pal was up for the weekend .. and SHE''S obsessed with a $1500 Miu Miu bag ... I''ll try to find a pix. We looked on ebay & they are ALREADY knocking that one off (badly)
20.gif
. She said in her workplace Fendi''s SPY bags are the big thing and her immediate boss has the Chloe Paddington. We found a groovy retro-shaped-convertible-donut hole handled-fold over top-convertable shoulder strap/cross body bag from some little-known Italian manuf. at MARSHALLS for $199 .. but the leather wasn''t luxe/glossy/buttery enough for her. HA! Next!

I don''t dig the Miu Miu myself -- luckily!
31.gif

miumiubaggie.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 4:10:44 PM
Oooh I like both of those TG.

I have a few pairs Ferragamo boots from the outlet near here. They always have size 11's - bless 'em!! And Via Spiga has been responsible for a LOT of action in this thread -- not too shabby V.S.!

As to Bluefly fakes -- wow -- they offer easy returns so I tend not to believe it. But, gosh, hope it isn't true. I usually am buying stuff that wouldn't be 'knocked off' so I can't say I've gotten a legit Christian Dior or something from them. But I've always gotten great items at great prices.
*Shrug*

My NYC fashion designer pal was up for the weekend .. and SHE'S obsessed with a $1500 Miu Miu bag ... I'll try to find a pix. We looked on ebay & they are ALREADY knocking that one off (badly)
20.gif
. She said in her workplace Fendi's SPY bags are the big thing and her immediate boss has the Chloe Paddington. We found a groovy retro-shaped-convertible-donut hole handled-fold over top-convertable shoulder strap/cross body bag from some little-known Italian manuf. at MARSHALLS for $199 .. but the leather wasn't luxe/glossy/buttery enough for her. HA! Next!

I don't dig the Miu Miu myself -- luckily!
31.gif
Hm, I don't dig it either, but only because the texture on that bag remind me my science class and muscle striation.

To me, a bag can't have TOO much going on...but somethin's still gotta be happening. Its done either with color, hardware, or texture...but I don't like all the above.

We should have everyone post what they're CURRENTLY carrying. If folks are anything like me, that would shame them into buying a new bag asap! My bags are SO outdated/unhip!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
botega veneta...

Not the exact red I''d like, but still simple and interesting. Still, for that price, I could be a bbag guppy! Hehe...

prodImagebv.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually, bluefly was caught out selling fake balenciagas about 2-3 months ago. it's on their BBB record i think. they thought they were real i am sure. costco got caught too selling fake b-bags as well. and on TPF some gal posted the other day that she saw some fakes in a well-known department store.

there are so many fakes out there and 'super fakes' as well. it's hard to tell sometimes. these overstock/returned dept store kind of discount store places may not even know if their own sources are reputable, or what if a typically reputable source they buy from bought fakes and didn't realize it. it's tricky stuff.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey TG ... I have no idea if this Hogan is fake or not ... but it seemed the right shape/size etc ....
2.gif

ETA: oooh ... oooh ... I guess my PERSONAL x-mas wish list started already
23.gif
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, you are such a trooper for me! I love ya gal!
41.gif

Sadly, the hogan bags are the one line you''ve mentioned that I don''t think are quite me. Something about them, although I am not totally familiar with the line.

I''m pretty "blah" on this bag search. I really like a lot of the bags everyone has posted here, but when I go to the mall, I don''t like any of the stuff I see. Then I wonder if I would feel the same about some of the bags here if I saw them in person. My poor hubby is pressuring me to figure out what i want for my bday. So now I''ve diverted and started to look at earrings, thinking that would be easier! But everyone has been SO helpful to me on this thread, that I don''t want to start an earring thread because I know y''all will think "that TravelingGal is off her rocker!"

Again, I have to say how I appreciate everyone''s help. I wish I was more into fashion, but I have always been more about function than form.
39.gif
When I had to choose a backpack (or roach, or whatever you want to call it) for Europe, that was EASY!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well, last night I got home and nice Bluefly box was waiting for me with the teal Viga Spiga purse. I opened the box and saw the very nice packaging that Bluefly gives but quickly tore through it to get to the purse. The purse was lovely. Color was great. A few scuff marks but nothing too bad. The leather is somewhat soft but not really buttery like I had hoped. Then I picked it up....Woa...that thing is heavy. My $19.99 purse doesn't feel like this even when fully loaded. I took the purse to a full length mirror to see how it looked on me. It is bigger than my normal size but not hugely so...but the drop from the handle to the bag was too short for my body type...it kind of tucked under my arm and stopped at the top of my waist. But I thought I just needed to get used to a different style. SO I loaded up my stuff and wore it around the house. I learned something important then....2 handle styles fall off my shoulder. Within 5 minutes of walking around I had to pull up one of the straps at least a dozen times. That alone will send it back. I hate it when purses fall off my shoulder. So, I guess my summary is...nice purse....but not for me so back it goes.

On a different note, I stopped by TJMAXX and found a Kenneth Cole purse in camel that is super soft. It's definitely buttery. Much, much softer than the Viga Spiga purse. It has a similar shape to the Viga Spiga but with 2 pockets on the end for cell phone etc. and only 1 handle going from end to end. It stays on my shoulder. I'm just not sure about the camel color. I wear lots of brown so will camel work? The purse looks a lot like this only slightly smaller and 1 strap going from the end pockets rather than the 2 strap satchel look. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/14939478/c/1430.html

There also is a Viga Spiga Taryn in Olive on Bluefly.com with only 1 strap that I might try. Not sure on the color though. Green is good but it's hard to tell what shade of green on the PC.

TG--TJMAXX had about 32 feet of red purses in my area. So, if you like red you might want to check them out. Red was definitely the color best represented after black.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 8:52:11 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Found the one Kenneth Cole bag that I liked at TJMAXX. http://www.ebags.com/kenneth_cole_reaction/hold_still_large_hobo/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=72661 but in the camel color like the link in my above post. They actually had this cream color too and I debated but I''m less sure about cream than camel. So, fashion gurus out there...is this bag totally out of style or will it pass?
It looks great to me, but trust me...fashion guru I aint!!!

Hee hee Lately I''m spending more time looking for bags than I am at jewelry!

Here''s a Cole Haan I like...(found it on the Neiman Marcus site)

NMV9252_mh cole haan mediium tote.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
...I got curious about the bag I''ve been toting for the last couple of years...I remember buying it at a luggage store. Not chic at all, but it''s really worked well for me.

I found it! Boyt Jump, fake suede, zipper closure, zipper pocket (on the other side), and cost $70! (Mine''s rust colored.)

boyt jump.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 8:37:05 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Well, last night I got home and nice Bluefly box was waiting for me with the teal Viga Spiga purse. I opened the box and saw the very nice packaging that Bluefly gives but quickly tore through it to get to the purse. The purse was lovely. Color was great. A few scuff marks but nothing too bad. The leather is somewhat soft but not really buttery like I had hoped. Then I picked it up....Woa...that thing is heavy. My $19.99 purse doesn''t feel like this even when fully loaded. I took the purse to a full length mirror to see how it looked on me. It is bigger than my normal size but not hugely so...but the drop from the handle to the bag was too short for my body type...it kind of tucked under my arm and stopped at the top of my waist. But I thought I just needed to get used to a different style. SO I loaded up my stuff and wore it around the house. I learned something important then....2 handle styles fall off my shoulder. Within 5 minutes of walking around I had to pull up one of the straps at least a dozen times. That alone will send it back. I hate it when purses fall off my shoulder. So, I guess my summary is...nice purse....but not for me so back it goes.

On a different note, I stopped by TJMAXX and found a Kenneth Cole purse in camel that is super soft. It''s definitely buttery. Much, much softer than the Viga Spiga purse. It has a similar shape to the Viga Spiga but with 2 pockets on the end for cell phone etc. and only 1 handle going from end to end. It stays on my shoulder. I''m just not sure about the camel color. I wear lots of brown so will camel work? The purse looks a lot like this only slightly smaller and 1 strap going from the end pockets rather than the 2 strap satchel look. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/14939478/c/1430.html

There also is a Viga Spiga Taryn in Olive on Bluefly.com with only 1 strap that I might try. Not sure on the color though. Green is good but it''s hard to tell what shade of green on the PC.

TG--TJMAXX had about 32 feet of red purses in my area. So, if you like red you might want to check them out. Red was definitely the color best represented after black.
Island Dreams...sorry it didn''t work out for you. I guess that is why I have been hesitant to buy all the cute bags I see online. You really have to see it first.

I totally agree about the double straps. All my purses have had single straps for that reason...I''m definitely a single straper!

The Kenneth Cole is nice...and it does look softer.

I went to TJMAXX and saw all those red purses...not a one I liked. I am super picky about red. I don''t like orangey reds and prefer the bluer reds.

Widget, I like the Cole Haan bag...looks nice and classic.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 10:40:16 PM
Sadly, the hogan bags are the one line you''ve mentioned that I don''t think are quite me. Something about them, although I am not totally familiar with the line.

Ahhh I hear ya, TG. They''ve had a rough coupla years.
3.gif
Hogan is a branch of the TODs empire -- was trying to be the "hip" version of "preppy" Tods but hasn''t always worked out! I do love mine - I''ll try to take a pix as you mentioned earlier about us Ho-Hummers posting our current daily bags.

There is one current Hogan bag that captures my fancy ... I always love cheeky patent leather even when it''s NOT in style.
1.gif
18.gif
When I worked at a magazine as a low-paid grunt I used to carry a crazy huge totebag size vinyl black-patent-looking Lancome giveaway bag I bought at a GARAGE SALE for ONE DOLLAR. It made a statement alright. Even if that statement was ... "I am poor/BOLD"! This bag reminds me of that. HEE!

redhoganjazzhot.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 3:54:34 PM

Date: 11/19/2006 10:40:16 PM

Ahhh I hear ya, TG. They''ve had a rough coupla years.
3.gif
Hogan is a branch of the TODs empire -- was trying to be the ''hip'' version of ''preppy'' Tods but hasn''t always worked out! I do love mine - I''ll try to take a pix as you mentioned earlier about us Ho-Hummers posting our current daily bags.

There is one current Hogan bag that captures my fancy ... I always love cheeky patent leather even when it''s NOT in style.
1.gif
18.gif
When I worked at a magazine as a low-paid grunt I used to carry a crazy huge totebag size vinyl black-patent-looking Lancome giveaway bag I bought at a GARAGE SALE for ONE DOLLAR. It made a statement alright. Even if that statement was ... ''I am poor/BOLD''! This bag reminds me of that. HEE!
Hee hee Deco...well, I don''t know about your finances, but the bold part doesn''t surprise me one bit!

I love the color of that bag. But I am not a patent leather person...can''t carry it off.

Good to know about Hogan. I went and relooked at TODs bags and they ARE too preppy for me. There were a few I like, but not a ton. It seems a lot easier for me to figure out my jewelry style than it is bags! My poor hubby is still trying to figure out what to get me for my birthday so I wouldn''t be surprised if he gave up and threw a $1 lancome giveaway bag at me. Hee hee. He is totally wondering how a woman could be *this* hard to shop for. Part of the problem is we just got married (as did you) so all the kitchen stuff I wanted, I got. And even then, it wasn''t much.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if you are up for ebay, but i found these. my first nice handbag was from banana republic and their leather is excellent and the bag is quite well made. i only linked brown bags because i believe you prefered them over black -- no deep reds ---sorry

bag 1

ed14_1.JPG

bag 2

b3d1_1.JPG

bag 3

b6af_1.JPG

bag 4

BRSatchel.JPG

bag 5

c3c7_1.JPG

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
So my Cole Haan bag just arrived. It is much bigger than I thought it would be. I really need to learn to look at dimensions and figure out what they mean! The bag is beautiful and the suede is super soft. It also came with a nice dust cover. It fits nicely under the arm and feels really good. I'm going to hang with it awhile and decide if I'm keeping it. It is much softer than it looks online. Now I want brown suede wedges! LOL

The bag was a great deal price-wise and I think the style is classic.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
This mini zip hobo is on sale at Cole Haan for $79.95
MINI ZIP HOBO
Sierra Lazercut Collection
$125.00 $79.95
Style # B13988
Soft grain leather mini zip hobo with perforation and lazercut detail. Shoulder strap with 4 1/2" drop. Hardware with shiny nickel finish on porcelain, shiny gold on marigold, antique brass on caramel, deep blue. Nylon lining. 10"W x 6"H x 1 1/2"D

CARAMEL

Quantity: 1 2 3 4

cole haan mini zip hobo.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks lovelylulu! I am looking for black or a dark red though...

Lawmax, yeah...I really have to be careful of size as I am not used to carrying anything big.

Isn''t this a nice red though?

16407-MagnifySize-front.jpg

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s cool that you''re liking red! :)

My bags are mainly neutrals, but to some red is a neutral! I have a blue Tod''s and a multi-color suede Coach clutch that was a gift from a friend. I had no brown for winter, so I''m liking the suede alot.

My taste seems to keep evolving and branching out, which I think is great! Life is beautiful and full of variety so why not enjoy it?

lawmax
1.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 10:38:19 AM
Author: widget
Hey, Deco... Isn''t it funny how ''catching'' this bag thing is? I didn''t even know I wanted a new one, and now I''m spending way too much time perusing bag sites...

No, it doesn''t scream to me, especially since it''s on sale and non-returnable...

I MUST venture off my mountain and hit a few stores, and see what''s out there IRL..

I''m intrigued by the B-bags, but part of me rebels against joining the thundering PS herd....LOL

widget

Just found this thread, how fun!

My most expensive bag is a $400.00 Cole Haan. I like it, but it is heavy!

So, like Widget, I need to venture out and see what''s out there.

But there is one thing I have noticed. High school girls in my area, Texas, are into Coach.
So I figure that is not for me any longer. I have had Coach in the past and did like a few of their bags, but now
since the high school girls are buying them, I guess I need to raise my bar.

There are so many fakes out there too. That good looking LV on that lady could just as well be a fake.
So, I feel more comfy buying something like Cole Haan, Spiga, or bags in the 100.00 to 450.00 range.
I don''t think I would ever plunk down 1,000.00 for a bag. I CAN afford it, but I''d feel guilty if I didn''t use it for
at least 2 years. Just this morning I gave my son''s girlfriend (college age) a Coach satchel black bag I got as a gift a year ago. I can''t stand it, too small of an opening on top and kinda dated looking.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for red bags!
9.gif
Sorry I haven''t read too closely into the details of all this thread''s posts, but here are some ideas based on what I''ve seen so far:

A gal on PF recently posted this bag. It is by Maxx New York and she paid $279 Canadian. How cute is that! A bit more of a structured look, but to me, red says "ladylike" and is well-suited to a *slightly* more structured and feminine look:

Here''s the Hype "Hendon" Tote avail at Nordstrom, for $210. The leather looks beautiful.
_5287884.jpg

Just a few ideas. :) OK, back to making pumpkin pie......

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
TG: Just keep looking til you find something that you really love. I have been looking since May. I just didn''t get it. I couldn''t find anything I felt like shelling out the money for. Then Wham-O. I found a bunch of stuff I loved.

I love red bags. I agree with you. I don''t care for the orangey looking ones either but the bluer reds are really classy.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t read through all the suggestions but I know Mara suggested some Coachs early on and you said your friend had the same one but have you checked out some of their other styles. I love the Legacy line. They have a website with all of the styles if you don''t want to go to a B&M.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results