shape
carat
color
clarity

Help find a bag for the poor and ho-hum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was fun meeting Mara and talking a bit about bags (I hadn''t looked over at the bbag thread when I met her) and I was reminded again that I really should go get a decent bag. Even my husband has told me in recent weeks I should treat myself and update some things. I''ve had some important meetings recently and realized that I am not that well accessorized, lol. I swear, for the most part I am put together! I just work from home and sometimes that can make ya more slack.

Here are my issues:

- I HATE shopping (yes I am a woman), so I don''t know what is the latest in handbags.

- I have a lot of back issues so I cannot carry a big bag. In fact, I often joke I''ll just be a nerd and carry a backpack since that evenly distributes the weight. Currently I just wear a small "Sak" bag (I know...so unchic!)that I can sling over my body. I only carry a small wallet, keys, lipgloss, compact and my cell phone. It also must be small because I travel so much and it has to fit in my laptop bag due to carry on restrictions. I like to generally have my hands and lower arms free.

- As much as I would love a nifty bag in color, I usually only have one bag at a time, so I think black would be best.

- I don''t take great care of my stuff, so I will often just fling the bag on the floor...therefore a secure closer (zipper preferably) would be nice. Mara recommended Kate Spade and Coach (even though her younger sis has one), but I would like to see if you have a particular bag rec. I looked at a few department store websites and didn''t see anything too interesting.

Budget is around $200, $300 tops. Anyone interested in helping a nonbag lover who really needs a workable bag?
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm... what about this Kate Spade?

I'll look around more too ... I love bag shopping ... especially when it's not my $.
2.gif

ETA: I see it's too big now. Got carried away with the Sample Sale google eyes! Maybe Kate is not the girl for you after all.

katespadeonsale.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Have you ever heard of Hobo brand? I was in the new Bloomies in town -- It's their new flagship store apparently and YOWZA! -- and saw this brand, and they have some really cute stuff! And the leather is nice and soft and yummy.

Here's a site with some different styles: http://www.bagshop.com/store/mresults.php?Class_2=Hobo

ETA: Don't be scared off by all the retro styles on that first page (though some of those clutches are so cute! I saw the International Vintage Madeline Leather Clutch in person, and it's awesome -- though probably not what you're looking for!) But they have lots of different styles on the following pages!

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
I really like my Francesco Biasia Handbag. The one I have is super cute but I don''t think they make it anymore. However, zappos has 291 to choose from. I posted a link for just one that seems to be what you''re looking for.

I think this brand is a great value for the $. The bags are very well made, and look very nice. the one I have is calf skin, so the leather is soft and sort-of formless, but it works for the style (a simple hobo with a flap). Some of thier bags aren''t all that attractive to me personally, but if you find one that you like the looks of, I''m sure that you''ll like it whaen you get it. Also, I think they sell this brand at Nordstrom (at least they did when I got mine there). If you order from zappos and don''t like it you can send it back. free shippign BOTH WAYS! can''t beat that!

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/14734785/c/3.html

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I KNEW you guys would come through for me...this is all an excellent start and much better than I was doing by myself. I started looking through the links and there is lots to go on. Thank you.

Deco, I love the last bag you posted, but looked for black and it only comes in coffee. Tease! Of course, I think I like brown better. I just need a black bag for my work suits.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 4:42:11 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Deco, I love the last bag you posted, but looked for black and it only comes in coffee. Tease! Of course, I think I like brown better. I just need a black bag for my work suits.

I found the larger Furla Josee at Neiman Marcus for $355 ... it comes in ONYX ... which, to my feeble mind, means black
3.gif

Don''t rule out brown if you like it better ... tobacco shades work well with all colors ... it''s the stitching color in jeans! I have a tobacco or more butterscotchy bag that is my "everyday" bag & I wear a ton of black I swear!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
12" x 14" so maybe that's too big .. but so pretty ... in either color.

ETA: ignore my big ol pointer that I caught in the pix HA!!

furlalargejosee.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
eeeh i so don't like that last bag posted. that hobo style is like the same one EVERYONE has.

part of what bugs me about bags is that i hate common styles that it seems like everyone has. even my LV's which EVERYONE has here in the SF Bay...are unique styles that i hardly ever see anywhere.

i could totally see you with a classic black kate spade (the nylon line) or a classic coach (not signature)...just something super simple and basic that fits your needs and your wardrobe (and fabu ring set and watch of course!).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is the Kate Spade ''sam'' which is what i thought of for you TG...it''s super basic, simple, it''s nylon so it''s easily cleanable and it lasts. I have one of the nylon bags (it is like this but has a zipper and is slightly more ''shaped'' at the corners) and it''s AWESOME. i used it for a few years and it looks new.

it''s $190 at nordies and here is the fit and sizing:
Fit: Medium: Holds at least a wallet, small book and water bottle.
Dimensions: 11"W x 8"H x 5"D.Bag sits under arm. Strap drop: 11".

kate spade sam.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOH and this does not come in black but i LOVE this bag!! super cute. hmm. hehe.

_5269098.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and this is a cutie coach. $218 and 10 1/4 (L) x 6 1/4 (H) x 3 (W).

coach soho small.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and while i am not a fan of the hobo cuz yes it''s overdone at this point...this one is kind of cute cuz it''s an exaggerated shape...like a half moon! and i like the contrast! $298. 15 3/4 (L) x 12 3/4 (H) x 4 1/2 (W)

coach soho hobo.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 5:21:47 PM
Author: Mara

i could totally see you with a classic black kate spade (the nylon line) or a classic coach (not signature)...just something super simple and basic that fits your needs and your wardrobe (and fabu ring set and watch of course!).

See .. I''m the same "ehhh" about those.

Black nylon Kate Spade?? I was still at Vogue in the early 90s when that took off. Buying that now seems crazily dated!

Plain basic leather Coach?? Kinda ditto but less so -- more classic & durable & doable.

It sure is hard to be "unique" and "classic" at the same time!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 5:32:46 PM
Author: decodelighted

See .. I'm the same 'ehhh' about those.

Black nylon Kate Spade?? I was still at Vogue in the early 90s when that took off. Buying that now seems crazily dated!

Plain basic leather Coach?? Kinda ditto but less so -- more classic & durable & doable.

It sure is hard to be 'unique' and 'classic' at the same time!!
1.gif
See having met TG ... I don't think that a unique jazzy bag would work! She seems SUPER classic, in a great way! Beautiful, understated, simple...her ring set fits her so well! And to me the nylon KS and the black basic Coach (with a bit of a twist) would be perfect for her. The fact that KS is still selling the nylon bag speaks to the durability of that particular style in my opinion. And while *I* love a great bag trend, TG doesn't buy one every year like I do...so long term is what I have in mind.

LOL TG..sorry for the 3rd party segway into talking about you and what you NEED. LOL! a b-bag?!?!?!

I would have recommended something like my LV across the body bag but it's brown ... hee and I just CANNOT see you in that TG. hehee. As much as I love it.
5.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehehe, you ladies are funny...

That first coach Mara, I do like quite a bit, but a really good friend of mine has it. Normally I wouldn''t care, but she is also in the same industry I am in and we are seen together a lot.

I like the hobo...I''m kind of hoboish. I''m not classic or unique, but I''d like to think that I am! Is the hobo overdone? I had no idea!

I really want a simple bag, but then I think...wow, that''s a lotta money for a really simple bag. I don''t know if I can pay 200 bucks for nylon! The BCBG one is fun, but I''ve got to get out my ruler to see how big it is (I hate searching for a tiny lip gloss). Since I keep my stuff forever,I wonder if all the hardware, tassles, etc will look dated.

You gals are heaps of help. TGuy just told me he''s coming home early so maybe I will drag him to the mall with me, as we need to return a couple of duplicate wedding gifts. If I have to suffer at the mall, he can join me. Hehehehehe.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 5:36:32 PM

Date: 11/14/2006 5:32:46 PM

See .. I''m the same ''ehhh'' about those.

It sure is hard to be ''unique'' and ''classic'' at the same time!!
1.gif
See having met TG ... I don''t think that a unique jazzy bag would work! She seems SUPER classic, in a great way! Beautiful, understated, simple...her ring set fits her so well! And to me the nylon KS and the black basic Coach (with a bit of a twist) would be perfect for her. The fact that KS is still selling the nylon bag speaks to the durability of that particular style in my opinion. And while *I* love a great bag trend, TG doesn''t buy one every year like I do...so long term is what I have in mind.

LOL TG..sorry for the 3rd party segway into talking about you and what you NEED. LOL! a b-bag?!?!?!

I would have recommended something like my LV across the body bag but it''s brown ... hee and I just CANNOT see you in that TG. hehee. As much as I love it.
5.gif
LOL, you made me snort and choke out loud with the highligted comment.

I think what Mara is trying to say in a polite way
11.gif
is that I am not in on the latest styles (aka super classic, hahaha). Mara, keep in mind when we met, I was dressed for a casual work meeting...I have no work clothes and was wearing a shirt that my cousin gave me because I had nothing, a black vest over it because the shirt is a bit small and I hate gaping buttons
14.gif
, and pinstriped pants because that was what was on sale at express where I can easily pick up a pair of pants without trying it on. In other words, not normally how I dress.

On any given day, I wear flip flops, capris and an easy going (like a roxy/surfer girl) t-shirt. Charlotte pants are right up my alley. Mara is right about my ring...it''s no frills, durable and modern. Not that I wouldn''t love to be more hip, but I don''t have the PATIENCE for it. Just like I would have liked a pave ring, but it doesn''t work in my lifestyle.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 5:36:32 PM
See having met TG ... I don't think that a unique jazzy bag would work! She seems SUPER classic, in a great way!

I hear ya. I just have a serious allergic reaction to the nylon KS. I don't care how "classic" a girl is. DEAD girls shouldn't do that ... IMHO
3.gif
31.gif
. I still have a KS lipstick red glossy leather envelope shoulder bag. *shrug*

Marc Jacobs is a usually classic, preppy kind of line. Coach, sure ... I was looking for something that could be smushed into her bag & that zipped up the top as requested.
12.gif

Will keep looking!
5.gif

ETA: about KS still making them being evidence of their continued relevance ... um, people were making the Ford Taurus too ... until recently
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol deco you are just too cool for school miss kate spade shunner snob! hee hee. vogue employee. hrmph.
5.gif

mj would be awesome but the budget was $200-300 so i figured they''d be out unless maybe it''s a sale bag. hmmm hmmm. thinking. what about a small LV?
11.gif
the recital is my latest *want* at $385 but it''s in the LV brown monogram...mmmm so good.

oh what about kenneth cole?!!? i got the CUTEST bag from them last year in an olive green. and it was $150 retail and at loehmanns for $75.

my coworker says charles david has some really cute new trendy purses out too. but i wouldn''t go TOO trendy then.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 6:09:27 PM
lol deco you are just too cool for school miss kate spade shunner snob! hee hee. vogue employee. hrmph.
5.gif
That''s EX-V-employee, to you missy. And I''m just yankin yo'' chain on this one because, like, every other thing you''ve ever suggested here is on my mental "living vicariously" rolodex.

Darn the siren song of those B-bags! RAGE!
29.gif

*back to purse surfing*
5.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly the kate spade is too simple for me...and reminds me of the hordes of Korean girls who went out and bought them. But mostly because I don''t get why a bag that simple costs that much...my small mind can''t wrap around that. But Deco...ford taurus...you funny girl...

Mara, I love your LV bag in terms of function. You are right, I cannot get away with something like that, partly because I have never really been a label wearer and the LV is obvious. But a bag in the size, shape and style would work for me.

And I like Kenneth Cole a lot too. But I feel like a lot of the purses in the 200-300 category are for the name and the quality isn''t there. Certainly there would be no oohing and aahing about veins and buttah.
2.gif
So I always revert back to the cheapie TJMaxx specials. And those end up in the closet fast too.

How ''bout a fanny pack? C''mon girls, we can get those back in style. Ok, so they were never in style, but still. Butt-bag anyone?
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 6:17:32 PM
veins and buttah

Veins & buttah ... veins & buttah ... I'm ON IT!

(ixnay on the fanny pack-aey or I'm never getting married on the same weekend as you EVER again)

ETA: what about
this Via Spiga? I ruled it out earlier because of the "brown" factor ... but it's goatskin ... like a certain B-BAG!!!! Could be veins! Could be buttah! And at $100 smackers ... ya can still get a $200 one with your CHANGE!

dh97

Shiny_Rock
This is a My Flat In London. I found it on Costco.com

129787.jpg

dh97

Shiny_Rock
Here is a white one. Do I need one more bag?
11.gif

dh97

Shiny_Rock
forgot a pic.

129805LL.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the style dh, but not the color or quilting (is that the right word) but it seems like an easy going style, which is what I need.

Deco, cute, but I actually like the green! Wonder if I could get away with a green bag.

You will all laugh at me, but at the mention of Mara''s LV, I remember I have something similar in style that I stopped wearing...a Prada (real) over the body bag that is small and very lightweight (nylon...yeah yeah, I know...but back then I was all about the weight of the bag). I got it at Loehmans for a good price, but I stopped wearing it after a couple of years because on the shoulder strap there is a cell phone compartment. Well, think of what the cell phones were like 6 years ago...they were huge! When phones got smaller, I stopped using it. But now my blackberry fits in there pretty well.

9.gif

I was cleaning up the bag when my hubby got home and I said, guess what, I may have a solution for a new bag! Without missing a beat, he said "What, you found an old one?" I nodded gleefully and my husband shook his head and said "I''m not saying a word."

Pretty sad when your husband thinks his wife should shop more.

38.gif
So I guess I''m heading to the mall after all, and I will look for some of the styles you posted. Thanks ladies!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 6:54:35 PM
I have something similar in style that I stopped wearing...a Prada (real) over the body bag that is small and very lightweight (nylon...yeah yeah, I know...but back then I was all about the weight of the bag).
HA! TG ... I have a similar body-crossing *gasp* black nylon bag (not Prada) that I bought back when they were all the rage BUT I still use it too ... especially for traveling - waterproof/light/zip up - body hugging safety. I also stuff it inside bigger bags all the time.

It still is fun to get something new too though! Hope ya find something!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 7:07:31 PM

Date: 11/14/2006 6:54:35 PM
I have something similar in style that I stopped wearing...a Prada (real) over the body bag that is small and very lightweight (nylon...yeah yeah, I know...but back then I was all about the weight of the bag).
HA! TG ... I have a similar body-crossing *gasp* black nylon bag (not Prada) that I bought back when they were all the rage BUT I still use it too ... especially for traveling - waterproof/light/zip up - body hugging safety. I also stuff it inside bigger bags all the time.

It still is fun to get something new too though! Hope ya find something!
Hee hee...this one is actually very small. Probaby about 8 inches wide. Perfect for just lugging around a few of my things. Unfortunately, I remember the zipping getting dodgy on it.

I hope so too. I need new clothes AND shoes and TGuy is all for it. So I will spend some money on myself for once and not others (I LOVE to shop for others...so much easier).

Going out now! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results