shape
carat
color
clarity

Help find a bag for the poor and ho-hum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone want to guess who makes this bag? Saw it but don''t know anything about it. I like the color.

95101_ber.jpg

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I've been considering this bag and think it's really cute (on sale too!)

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?productId=115751&categoryId=307601&productGroup=115752

TRIPLE ZIP SATCHEL
Madelyn Collection
$295.00 $189.95

Style # B14797
Triple zip satchel handbag in soft European suede

Custom nickel hardware
8" custom woven leather shoulder straps
Woven leather detail on front flap tab
Triple compartment function
Center zip closure
Side magnetic snap closures
Royal purple lining
Inside zip, cell and PDA pockets
14" L x 9 3/4" H x 6" D

CHOCOLATE

Quantity: 1 2 3 4

cole haan bag.jpg

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought the Madelyn triple zip. :)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has anyone gone on the Big O to see what designer bags they have? Also, sometimes vintage stores have great Chanel and things like that, maybe not even ever used, and you can get a classic forever bag for a steal!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies!

Diamondfan, I did go take a look at overstock, and they had nothing I liked. My birthday is coming up and my poor husband is stressed on what to get me, but I can''t figure out what in the world I would like for my birthday. So far the only thing I need is new pajamas. He said he is not buying me flannel pajamas so soon after we have gotten married. Hee hee.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Omigosh ... I had no idea what "the big O" was ... I was like, "Oprah has a STORE?" HAHAHAHAHAH. But OVERSTOCK - yes, that makes sense.

I loved that RED bag, TG ... but can''t guess where it''s from. I really go for "equestrian" classic saddle bags like that ... that''s why my tastes usually lean toward TODs & HOGAN & Marc Jacobs rather than the edgier Balenciaga or Chloe ... or the fancy-pants Chanel & Christian Dior. Though I DO see the charm in the B-bags (especially the colorations & the leather itself).

Are ya getting the RED???

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
It took me a second to think of what the big O was too, and then I remembered those lame commercials...

I like the red bag, but I have no idea what it is? I was browsing that purse forum for ideas and saw that one, but no mention of what it was. I started getting a headache so I had to stop browsing around there. Too many women with too many purses.

I think our tastes are probably similar. I don''t get chanel at all...they are not appealing to me one bit. I did see a couple of Tods I liked alot, but of course too pricey. I have no idea what Hogan is and MJ is up in the air for me.

I see charm in the bbags too, they just seem pretty big. I''m not a tassle person (they remind me of cowgirls and an asian cowgirl is just wrong, hehehe), but I think the bag is otherwise pretty simple and classy.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dunno if this link will work .. but I stumbled onto this cool site ... Rodeo Drive Resale. Cute Tod's pouchette in black -- perfect size for you ... $149!

Also ... the site if FULL UP of Miu Miu FANNY PACKS. HA!!!!

ONE DESPERATE LAST ATTEMPT TO link

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2006 3:00:04 PM
Author: decodelighted
I dunno if this link will work .. but I stumbled onto this cool site ... Rodeo Drive Resale. Cute Tod''s pouchette in black -- perfect size for you ... $149!Lame attempt at linkeage

Also ... the site if FULL UP of Miu Miu FANNY PACKS. HA!!!!
lol...i am eyeing this thread because it could be for me!
37.gif

deco, did you name that link?
34.gif
[/i]

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the picture ... I dunno what I''m doing wrong with that link ...hmmmm

cutielittlepurse.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like that very much! even if you are a weird linker
37.gif

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
well, if you''re looking for a cute black bag I''ve got a link for you.

http://www.ebags.com/luce/butter_soft_satchel/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=67388

I''m not very good at posting photos, sorry! I also really like the Luce drawstring bag they have on this website. Just a suggestion! Hope you find something you like! The prices of these luce bags are pretty reasonable considering they look like good quality leather. I think my next bag will be a Luce.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, Mara and B-bag gang have gotten me looking at handbags....

What do you all think of this? Has anyone ever heard of Isabella Fiore? (I did a search on TPF...nada) This bag is said to be of soft Italian Lambskin. While I'm sure it's not as wonderful and squishy as a B-bag, I kinda like it's looks. It has an outside zipper compartment on the other side...a must for me.

Any thoughts? (If there's something about it you dont' like, feel free to comment...I'm a fashion moron
19.gif
...)

widget

isabella fiore dreamweaver Harriet tote.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I think that bag is cute Widget!! I like the color too!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Dani!

LOL...it took a while for anyone to comment...I decided I may have given myself away as someone with li''l ol'' lady tastes..

(Not necessarily a bad thing since I am one...or getting there, anyway!
5.gif
)

widget

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2006 8:39:19 PM
Author: widget
What do you all think of this? Has anyone ever heard of Isabella Fiore?
Hey Widget ... I never did subscribe to this thread so I just keep re-finding it!
2.gif
. I feel like I''ve heard of Isabelle Fiori before but I don''t know exactly how.

I think it''s a pretty bag & it does look smooshy. It''s more western/detailed/textured than I usually choose for myself but there are many Balenciaga-level designers that do similar styles (Bottega? maybe?). It''s Eclectic .. yet a classic shape with equestrian style strap details.

If it "screams" you - GO for it. It def doesn''t scream "old lady" to me at all.
2.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Deco... Isn't it funny how "catching" this bag thing is? I didn't even know I wanted a new one, and now I'm spending way too much time perusing bag sites...

No, it doesn't scream to me, especially since it's on sale and non-returnable...

I MUST venture off my mountain and hit a few stores, and see what's out there IRL..

I'm intrigued by the B-bags, but part of me rebels against joining the thundering PS herd....LOL

widget

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 10:38:19 AM
I''m intrigued by the B-bags, but part of me rebels against joining the thundering PS herd....LOL
HA! I''m a herd-shunner too ... but I can''t say it hasn''t messed with me a little. I''d bet that if budget allowed right now I''d have caught the b-bag full on fever. (For no more than one though.)

Sooooo...you''d have my blessing if you WENT CRAZY and ran with the b-bag bulls.
9.gif

I still like the Furla suede hobo from the first page (brown or black or camel) ... my everyday bag is a butterscotch leather barrel slouchy adjustable shoulder bag from HOGAN (but it''s 5-6 years old now??)

Marc Jacobs is another popular mid-priced brand ($300-600) ... and Wallermama was craving a GUSTTO bag ($500-600)

Let us know what ya find at the MAUL!!! (Or boutiques or dept stores or whatever)
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that bag for you widget!! It''s very cool and I love the brown color.

Wallermama got her Gussto a while ago and her hubby said it looked like haggis plus I guess she wasn''t that jazzed on it so back it went. I think she is still looking as well!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Widget:

It''s more detailed than I would choose for myself too, but I do like the style, so I say yes!

I was with a friend of mine yesterday who is pretty well to do (by marriage). She was telling me her sister was trying to get her to buy a Marc by Marc Jacobs bag (which I understand is a bit cheaper but still pricey) because it was on sale. I thought about it and said "your sister? You mean the one I met the other night who is 22 sister?" She nodded.

Now, I know that younger ladies these days carry nice bags. This girl also wants to get into the fashion industry. But currently she works as a sales girl at a mid range retail store and she can''t be making that much money. The funny thing was that she was asking me where TGuy was from, and when she found out he was from Australia, she begged me to take me with her. Another gal was talking about Paris and my friend''s sis exclaimed that there must be hot guys in Europe and she was SERIOUS...next time we traveled to take her. I asked, well, why don''t you go yourself...why wait for us to take you? She sadly gave me the money sign with her fingers. I was like "huh?" Do you expect us to pay for you or something?

Well, this girl gets no sympathy from me when a few of her bags could easily pay for a trip abroad!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, you guys have convinced me....too much braidy stuff...

I am beginning to narrow down what I don''t like, anyway....too much hardware (buckles, rings, padlocks, etc etc), and for some reason I hate bags with too many outside compartments....just one will do for me..

TG...funny about that young gal...what did she want? you to adopt her??? LOL.

Either this is new, or I''ve been living under a rock...I can''t believe how much younger women are spending on designer bags!
23.gif
I asked my daughter-in-law about it. She''s not into them, but she knows lots who are...

widget

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
TGal, if you''re still looking, I was in Filene''s Basement today and they had *perfect* little black Furla bags for you!! A few different styles but all were about $150, small, a few were leather, a few were nylony, and they were all zipper closures. I know all Filene''s Basements have different things in them at different times, so I don''t know if they''d be near you, but def. go look! Also they had some *gorgeous* Furla suede bags ... YUM. But way too big.

PS -- is it weird that I don''t even know you yet my first thought when I saw the bags was, "I should get this for Traveling Gal!"?! It is, right?
4.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2006 1:37:35 PM
Well, you guys have convinced me....too much braidy stuff...

I am beginning to narrow down what I don''t like, anyway....too much hardware (buckles, rings, padlocks, etc etc), and for some reason I hate bags with too many outside compartments....just one will do for me..

TG...funny about that young gal...what did she want? you to adopt her??? LOL.

Either this is new, or I''ve been living under a rock...I can''t believe how much younger women are spending on designer bags!
23.gif
I asked my daughter-in-law about it. She''s not into them, but she knows lots who are...

widget
I''m with you, Widget. This expensive purse phenomenon is new to me. I honestly didn''t know there were purses above $1000.
23.gif
Heck, a nice purse to me is a $125 Aigner bag at 25% off! I''ll spend money on jewelry because it''ll be an heirloom. A purse eventually looks bad and gets thrown away. I mainly have classic black bags through the winter. I''ll buy a new one every couple of years. I switch to a summer one for May-Sept. I have followed the b-bag thread, but I''ll have to say it doesn''t tempt me at all. What is has done is made me feel like a $200 bag isn''t really so bad!!!
9.gif
But I have appreciated this particular thread because it has shown that there are nice bags for a reasonable price. I have never been in the mode of following the crowd on things like this.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 8:05:16 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

I''m with you, Widget. This expensive purse phenomenon is new to me. I honestly didn''t know there were purses above $1000.
23.gif
I have followed the b-bag thread... What is has done is made me feel like a $200 bag isn''t really so bad!!!
9.gif
DS...this is SO TRUE!!!!

I want to the Maul today (big sale at Nordstroms) and found myself looking at $200 bags and thinking: "Cheapo!" LOL, PS is an evil place!!!
11.gif

I didn''t see ONE bag that I liked better than the one I already have. And I didn''t see anything even remotely similar to the B-bags. I was fondling them all, and nota one felt like butter.
2.gif

The day wasn''t a total loss, however...I found a wallet in the sale bin that will work for me, and I got some new shoes...

widget

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 8:21:41 PM

23.gif
I have followed the b-bag thread... What is has done is made me feel like a $200 bag isn''t really so bad!!!
9.gif
DS...this is SO TRUE!!!!

I want to the Maul today (big sale at Nordstroms) and found myself looking at $200 bags and thinking: ''Cheapo!'' LOL, PS is an evil place!!!
11.gif

I didn''t see ONE bag that I liked better than the one I already have. And I didn''t see anything even remotely similar to the B-bags. I was fondling them all, and nota one felt like butter.
2.gif

The day wasn''t a total loss, however...I found a wallet in the sale bin that will work for me, and I got some new shoes...

widget
LOL, I was at Nordstroms returning something and stopped by the bag section, and I thought $200 seemed "cheap" too. Except I know it''s not. LOL.

Widget, I have no idea if she wanted me to adopt her. I really don''t care if people want to buy $5 bags, $500 or $5000. It is their prerogative - different strokes for different folks. I was just agog that this 22 year old gal was recommending a very expensive bag that she had already purchased while telling me that she wanted me to take her to Australia because she didn''t have money. Now, I am sure she was not serious (I hope) but you never know. Some people really do live in warped bubbles.

Ellalia, that is weird, but sweet.
2.gif
I don''t know if we have filene''s basement here in L.A., but I''ll do a search. I got a much needed pair of shoes today so that was something, but the bag thing I''ve sort of given up on. I''ll buy it when crunch time comes (i.e. I have another important meeting). A $40 bag I have no problem buying if it''s not perfect, but I still am not able to fork out 200+ on a bag if I dont love it. All the bags posted on here are very cute, but I have to see things first and I am the worst person ever at returning stuff through post. I think I have Fed-ex Phobia.

But I certainly love to see the discussion here because it is giving some of us (who for whatever reason don''t want to spend heaps on a bag) plenty of good ideas. I can''t wait to see if Island Dreams likes her bag.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm with you, Widget. This expensive purse phenomenon is new to me. I honestly didn't know there were purses above $1000.
23.gif
Heck, a nice purse to me is a $125 Aigner bag at 25% off! I'll spend money on jewelry because it'll be an heirloom. A purse eventually looks bad and gets thrown away. I mainly have classic black bags through the winter. I'll buy a new one every couple of years. I switch to a summer one for May-Sept. I have followed the b-bag thread, but I'll have to say it doesn't tempt me at all. What is has done is made me feel like a $200 bag isn't really so bad!!!
9.gif
But I have appreciated this particular thread because it has shown that there are nice bags for a reasonable price. I have never been in the mode of following the crowd on things like this.
Haha don't let the B-Bag gals hear you say that. It's not uncommon for these bags to be used for 1-2 years and still in great condition, be sold on ebay for what they paid for them in retail when they bought them. Or they sell them for $200 less. These girls REALLY take care of their bags. And today I saw a B-Bag courier that was a few years old from one of the shop gals and it was even softer than EVER...the leather was like silk. So they just get better as they age as long as you care for them.

Part of why the B-Bags are so appealing is that the leather is amazing and that the quality of the bag IS primo. Even Greg who is a skeptic about this expensive stuff really looked the bag up and down and checked seams and pronounced it extremely well made. I love LV's as well (Greg hates these!) and while they are canvas and leather, they are made very well and stand up to the test of time. I have a girlfriend who has had LV's since she was 15 (her Mom has a whole walk-in closet of designer bags) and she takes very good care of her bags and they look amazing (she is 33) and they have come in and out of style again and again.

So I don't know about the purse eventually looking bad and getting thrown away thing as a given. Imagine the cost of $500 or $1000 amortized over 10-15 years of use. Similar or better than a diamond?
3.gif
hehehe.

The funny thing is that I think any one of the gals who spends on bags or similar used to be an under $100 or an under $200 shopper. Where did it change?!
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm...

Mara, do you think all the bbag ladies would like to donate their lesser bags to those of us who don''t want to spend the dough? I am OK being charity, hahahaha...

(I just really hate shopping).
14.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 1:28:52 AM
Author: Mara

So I don't know about the purse eventually looking bad and getting thrown away thing as a given. Imagine the cost of $500 or $1000 amortized over 10-15 years of use. Similar or better than a diamond?
3.gif
hehehe.

The funny thing is that I think any one of the gals who spends on bags or similar used to be an under $100 or an under $200 shopper. Where did it change?!
31.gif
Just thinking about what you said above...

If you take a $1000 bag and amortize it over 10-15 years, yes it would be worth it. But most women who would buy a $1000 bag would not be happy with just one, or even two bags. So my guess is that it would sit in a gorgeous walk in closet full of organized boxes where other $1000 bags are living. I agree that if you used it all the time for all those years, it would be a great investment. But would a bag last that long if it got used that much?

As far as "where did it change"...probably where their wallets grew is where it changed. My guess that women who buy $1000 bags always loved bags more than the average person. So you start with $50, and keep going up and up. The ones who won't change are the ones who may be spending $100 on the bag now, but isn't a serious bag lover.

I love watches. I bought $100 watches when I was younger, then $500, then even more. I have not spent over $1000ish for a watch. Can I fathom ever spending $5000? Well, not now, but if my finances allowed me to, I could certainly see myself justifying something like that.

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
I have been secretly following this thread and hoping that you find a great bag TG. I am a Coach bag lover, have been for a long while. I have a suggestion for you that may sound blasphemous to some, but considering your lifestyle I think may fit the bill. Have you looked at Fossil bags? They have a ton of different styles, great leather, great organization, and I think you may find something that would fit all of your needs. Their leather is really soft and is able to withstand a lot. I think they even have fanny packs and backpacks
31.gif
Just thought I would throw out a suggestion for you as another alternative. Good luck in your search!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mwahah TG...i was really not a BAG lover before!!!! or ever. i bought like one every few years maybe and it was a nine west for like $60.

something changed! and suddenly i was.
5.gif
it definitely DID have to go with my wallet maturing too, but i think my tastes just changed too over time. suddenly i liked things that were more pricey...it's probably due to one of my best friends, i met her about 7 years ago and she's the gal with all the LV bags. so i knew i loved her purses. and i guess when i was able to buy my first one years ago, it planted the tiny 'seed' for the future, and it just sprouted into full bloom about 2 years ago!
3.gif

just to put the fear of the unknown into you. tee hee.

but yes you are probably right re: the $1k bag crowd. i am totally like a little gasping guppie trying to swim with the big sharks now.
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results