carat
color
clarity

Help! Dilemma between these two...

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HI,
I'd love some opinions on these two diamonds, I've seen them in person and I have already picked the one I loved but I've since fed their stats into HCA and now I'm 'flummoxed!'...but I have time to change my mind!
The E VS2 just 'dazzled' me, even sitting next to the D VS2 I preferred the E, although price wise I would have preferred to pick the smaller D stone!

GIA diamond E VS2 0.57ct
Cut, Sym, Pol VG/EX/EX
Depth 63.2%
Table 59%
Crown Angle 36*
Pav Angle 41*
No Culet
No Fluor
Girdle Sl Th-Thk, faceted 5%

Scores HCA= 6.0 "Fair" with detail being Light Return Fair, Fire Fair, Scint Fair, Spread Good.
But this one in person looks great to me (a newbie) and the bench jeweller said its a beauty...but so is the D!

My second option:

GIA diamond D VS2 0.50ct
Cut, Sym, Pol VG/VG/EX
Depth 63.4%
Table 57%
Crown Angle 37.5*
Pav Angle 40.6*
No Culet
No Fluor.
Girdle Med-Sl Th, faceted 4%

Scores HCA= 3.2 "Very Good" with detail being Light Return Very Good, Fire Very Good, Scint Good, Spread Good. The tool said "very good, worth buying if the price is right"!
But this one in person just didn't grab me as much as the E!

With the HCA scores ( and now doubting my eyes and worrying) I phoned the bench he says they are both lovely stones, but as I liked the E better and it's slightly bigger he'd advise me sticking with that. The D ...is a " D"...but the VG/VG/EX isn't as good as the E VG/EX/EX and to me with a huge love of jewellery....but still a learning newbie, it performs better.
He's a genuine guy, there's very little difference in price....why do I seem to like the E better? Is it just the size making it look better?
Am I foolish to pick a HCA 6 when I could have an HCA 3.2?

I know there are lots of diamonds out there with great stats....I could ask him to get in some more....but my eyes tell me these two are great and the E is gorgeous!

Is it that on PS we get used to looking at extraordinary diamonds and stats and so when a beautiful stone is not quite 'up there' we feel is isn't good enough?

Help would be great thanks.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at the stones in different lighting conditions? Most stones look good under jewelers lights.

I would not buy either of these stones. These stones are too deep and the angles are off. What are the measurements
on these stones? If they are smaller than they should be then you may be throwing money away.

What is this stone for? Engagement ring? Pendant? Earring?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fully agree with tyty...these stones are both very poorly cut. Look at GIA Excellent cut only. Even the excellent cut range is broad, and some stones are much better than others. Also use the HCA as a rejection tool and rule out those with scores >2 (so both of these stones should automatically be ruled out).

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.
table: 54-58
depth: 60-62.3
crown angle: 34-35.0
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Or post your budget and we can help you find a beautiful stone.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Steep deep diamonds look beautiful in the jewellery lighting, you may not be so dazzled once you see them at home in a diffuse lighting environment.

Avoid both!

Unless there's a cultural reason to get a D there's really no visible reason to pay for one compared to an E, F and most people, even a G! Sure side by side you'd tell the G from the D but individually you'd struggle. It sounds like size is what is impressing you and you could get a lot bigger and better diamonds for your dollar if you don't obsess about the colour (which is negligible) and focus on the cut.

Good luck

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are cut too deep!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you tyty333, ac117, gm89uk and Dancing Fire.

That's obviously a definite answer to my dilemma! Thank you.

I now have the one of going back to the bench jeweller and asking for more choices with HCA less than 2 stats or trying to pull out all together...feeling cowardly...but wiser with your help.

I'll just have to 'woman' up and speak to him about it.

Thank you for your help.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll post the range of specs that are usually safe to stay in...
table - 54-58 %
depth - 60-62.3 %
crown 34-35 degrees
pavilion 40.6-41 degrees

34 crown matches best with higher pavilion; 35 crown matches best with pavilion on lower end (40.6)

Dont feel cowardly! This is YOUR money...spend it wisely and get well cut stones. If they aren't willing to work
with you and be nice about it then take your money elsewhere!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're open to buying online we can help you with that.

Like tyty333 said, you are interesting a huge amount of money on this rock, you are entirely justified to taking the time to get the perfect stone

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results