shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Diamond tennis necklace too good to be true?

alexpaige

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers!

I recently came across this Etsy Shop that sells diamond jewelry, and I'm particularly interested in some of their diamond tennis necklaces. For the prices and carat weight, I'm concerned that maybe these pieces, at their prices, are too good to be true, so I wanted to turn to this community since I know you're full of knowledge!

Ideally, I'm looking for a 16inch 14k yellow gold diamond tennis necklace with anywhere from 4-7 cts of diamonds. I have a budget of approximately 4k Canadian (pretax)

These are the particular diamond tennis necklaces I am interested in. They are both within budget.

Option 1: 6.5 Ct Diamond Tennis Necklace

Option 2: 7 Ct Diamond Tennis Necklace Crown Setting

I have asked the seller for more photos of the diamonds and she was very responsive, but I'm concerned that they only have 20 sales and 10 written reviews. Do you think these necklaces are too good to be true? Are there any major red flags I should be watching out for?

I also read a few PSers threads about DeeJay jewelers and am also considering these necklaces:

Option 1: 5 Ct Diamond Tennis Necklace (within budget)

Option 2: 6 Ct Diamond Tennis Necklace (slightly out of budget)

I would love to hear your opinions on these options, and I'm also open to suggestions for other reputable sellers with similar products within my budget.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The thing about diamond necklaces that I have learned is that there is a lot of cut variation. For instance, I bought an estate necklace on EBay and a Deejay necklace. The Deejay necklace was slightly more expensive but the diamonds had so much more fire. There was really no comparison.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the tennis/line necklaces tend to be flippy. The 7 ct line style from Deejay was gorgeous but I found the 8.5 ct graduated style to lay much flatter.

This thread has lots of good info…

Good luck!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A tennis necklace is also on my wish list. I’ve been looking at deejay jewelry on eBay, but they don’t accept returns from international buyers which puts me off. The Etsy seller does accept returns so it may be worth a try. You could always return the necklace if the setting and diamond quality is not to your liking. Good luck, I can’t wait to see what you get

Reactions: Kya

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A five carat diamond tennis necklace with 128 diamonds will have very small diamonds in it. It might be exactly what you are looking for but just make sure there is an iron clad return policy if it doesn’t suit you. I think DeeJay has had some very happy customers here but that doesn’t speak to the size of the diamonds in each piece.

alexpaige

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply!

@RosieR, I agree their return policy turns me off as well. When I asked a question to the seller about the necklace (if they had any additional photos of it on a real person, or in another setting) their reply felt a little curt as welI. They also were extremely clear no returns were accepted from international customers, and overall the interaction left me feeling a bad gut feeling. I'm also not sure I am crazy about the setting of the necklaces I linked, as I think I prefer a 4-prong or a 3-prong setting overall for my personal style as a first tennis necklace purchase. (Though, if it was a second or third necklace, I would probably like to have some variety, lol!)

@MissGotRocks That's a great call out! I think I'm ok with some small diamonds, I don't need it to be a massive carat weight or point per diamond (nor will my current budget allow it :lol:) but this will very much live amongst a stack of necklaces that I wear daily. While it will be the star of the show, it will still be part of an ensemble crew overall, allowing me some flexibility in not having it be the only piece on my neck. a

@lulu_ma I also found this company that seems to make some really great options at good prices for their necklaces. They also have an Instagram account, and a lot more reviews than the original Etsy Shop, so I'm really considering a purchase from there.

Capucelli 7.5 TCW 3 Prong Tennis Necklace Now I've ventured well past my budget, but I love this one so much in the three-prong setting, I may just have to suck it up.

Thoughts?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply!

@RosieR, I agree their return policy turns me off as well. When I asked a question to the seller about the necklace (if they had any additional photos of it on a real person, or in another setting) their reply felt a little curt as welI. They also were extremely clear no returns were accepted from international customers, and overall the interaction left me feeling a bad gut feeling. I'm also not sure I am crazy about the setting of the necklaces I linked, as I think I prefer a 4-prong or a 3-prong setting overall for my personal style as a first tennis necklace purchase. (Though, if it was a second or third necklace, I would probably like to have some variety, lol!)

@MissGotRocks That's a great call out! I think I'm ok with some small diamonds, I don't need it to be a massive carat weight or point per diamond (nor will my current budget allow it :lol:) but this will very much live amongst a stack of necklaces that I wear daily. While it will be the star of the show, it will still be part of an ensemble crew overall, allowing me some flexibility in not having it be the only piece on my neck. a

@lulu_ma I also found this company that seems to make some really great options at good prices for their necklaces. They also have an Instagram account, and a lot more reviews than the original Etsy Shop, so I'm really considering a purchase from there.

Capucelli 7.5 TCW 3 Prong Tennis Necklace Now I've ventured well past my budget, but I love this one so much in the three-prong setting, I may just have to suck it up.

Thoughts?

@alexpaige I remember looking at Capucelli on Etsy but have never bought from them.

Have you bought any tester cz necklaces yet? This might help you zone in on the perfect setting style before you do an expensive order/ potential return. Another idea is to buy the Costco diamond necklace to give it a try (assuming that returns are also easy as Costco in Canada). I did just look it up though and it’s a lot more expensive than I remembered.

I will say, again, that flipping is a real issue with these necklaces-unless you get a shorter choker length. The graduated style from Deejay has the seven largest stones soldered together. This design feature seems to really help the necklace lay correctly. I’m sorry you got a weird vibe from them. They put out a quality product at a great price point. The cut of the diamonds in on point and there were virtually no black carbons under at 10x loupe. I love my estate 11 ct platinum rivière but it’s kind of heavy. The Deejay one I returned was very comfortable to wear.

ETA: Would it be costly to return the Capucelli necklace if you didn’t like it?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 5 cents.
The Etsy seller has 19 sales and 10 reviews. Personally I wouldn’t spend thousands of dollars with such a new vendor.
The other point is, with their listings they aren’t giving you a necklace length nor a gram weight. Hard to do quality comparisons without this information.
My own experience with Etsy is that problems with a seller or item are not as well handled as eBay.
I have bought very happily from DeeJay and I did considerable research prior to the purchase.
I bought the 12.5 carat odd one with graduated diamonds.
Im an international buyer and even if a seller was accepting returns, I would still be responsible for 2 x tracked and insured shipping and customs fees AND it is difficult to recover customs fees (up to 15% here in Australia) if you do a return. For this reason as an International buyer I buy with the 100% intention of keeping and loving it. If I’m in doubt about whether I’ll love it I either questions or for extra photos or I don’t proceed with the purchase.
Many sellers try to run their businesses as cost effectively as possible, keeps their prices down.
So some seller choose not to offer international returns, which isn’t actually uncommon, because they know in advance that the buyer will be out of pocket hundreds of dollars and may not be able to recover Govt fees and taxes paid. Such a scenario leads to much unhappiness and disappointment from the buyer. Easier just to advise that international returns aren’t possible for change of mind.

alexpaige

Rough_Rock
Hi!

All great advice. I did request extra photos from Deejay, but they responded they already had 11 photos on their listing, and essentially that that was enough, lol! That's one of the major reasons I got the weird vibe. Thank god for all of your posts @lulu_ma @Bron357, because otherwise I'd be stuck only looking at their stock-looking photos which really didn't sell me so far.

I also really want mine to be set in yellow gold (as I'm allergic to the nickel in white gold), and I find the settings of the DeeJay ones (though beautiful) show more metal than I might want. If it was white gold, I don't think it would bother me as much, but unfortunately, that isn't an option for me.

All of that being said, the necklaces from Deejay are undoubtedly beautiful, and with such rave reviews from you both, I'm now moving closer towards reconsidering them as my top option.

@lulu_ma great advice on buying a CZ one or the Costco one (though I'm not 100% sure they carry it here, I didn't see it on their website, and I'll have to go in store to check their stock).

As for flipping - is this that the entire necklace flips inside out often? I am looking at a 16-16.5" length, which, for my neck, while not a full choker, it would sit quite high on my neck. For reference, the tightest I can go is approximately 15 inches (maybe 14.5?) before I am literally being choked, lol!

Overall I'm looking to achieve this sort of a look (aware these are both a different setting than the others I've sent through):

Look 1, Look 2

I really wish someone here had some experience with Capucelli! I saw their Etsy shop is now closed, but prior, they had 1500 sales and 450 5-star reviews, and their seller really promptly responded to my questions, which I liked. They also have basically 5 stars on Google. These are all good signs, but it's really hard to tell. I can always return it, but I will likely still have to deal with trying to get the duties back, which is a major pain in the butt.

If I end up pulling the trigger, I'll absolutely share pics and let you all know my experience!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@alexpaige I originally wanted a tennis/ line style necklace but ended up with a graduated/ riviera style bc of the flipping. The flipping happens when you move around. The sides get flipped over and I find it annoying. Get some cz ones in the styles you are considering. I think you will see what I mean.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
JMHO but I wouldn't hold it against the vendor who wouldn't send more pics. I think eleven photos is a lot already. And if you've ever sold jewelry of your own online, so many people always want more photos when there's really nothing more to show them beyond what's already there, then don't buy anyway. It gets very time consuming. Personally, I did take more if I didn't have many to begin with or they wanted to see something that was not already shown. But I could easily see a business making a policy on that. A business might also use a professional photographer who is not available all the time.

I agree with passing on vendors who don't have a solid number of trustworthy reviews (ones that they don't have the ability to delete and where you can see if the people reviewing are more than all new accounts with just one review or other irregularity that suggests they're not real). I'd also pass on those who don't accept returns. To me, it's too much money for anything risky. (I'd also pay by PayPal or credit card, not by wire, because with a wire transfer you can't file a claim to try to get your money back).

Also, I would expect that the lower priced diamond tennis necklaces are priced low because they don't have good quality diamonds. Even if the color and clarity are fine, they won't dazzle with a mediocre cut and I don't see anything on the listings about the cut. And I'd be sure to know who graded the color and clarity because it might be somewhere whose grades are more lax than the GIA or equivalent would give. When the info. given is vague, to me that signals "commercial grade" diamonds.

I settled on a 14k gold cubic zirconia tennis necklace from QVC instead. I figured I'd rather go for the steep price cut of CZ over diamonds, especially when the quality of diamonds in the affordable (to me) tennis necklaces is so iffy but CZs will definitely sparkle. (I have heard people say that CZs get cloudy with time but I have never experienced it, even with a CZ engagement ring that I wore daily for a couple of decades, so I don't really believe it).

I think flipping is universal when the diamonds are all the same size, whereas the riviera necklaces (larger diamonds in front) are more balanced so they're not so flippy. I don't think the length of the necklace or how tightly it fits on the neck would make any difference. I plan to take mine to a jeweler to have it stabilized, by having them somehow fuse the front few inches of the necklace into one non-movable piece. (Either with a thin wire soldered onto the back or whatever else they can come up with).

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
ETA: If you don't already know, a couple more options for getting high quality, sparkly stones at a lower price point might be lab diamonds or moissanite, set in gold. (Not saying you would not find a lower priced, mined diamond tennis necklace satisfactory, though). IF you're interested (or maybe someone else will be):

Here's a lab diamond one by Ouros, which I've heard good things about on here but have NOT bought from myself so fwiw:

I wonder if having the chain at the back of this one rather than tennis necklace all around would eliminate flipping?

GoldenBirdJewellery (Etsy) is owned by the same guy but is his moissanite line whereas Ouros is lab diamonds. The tennis necklace listed there looks larger than you wanted but it says he does custom work.

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to agree with @Bron357 . My ering is an F/VS2 so I would say that I can be color sensitive and clarity sensitive. I was very happy with Deejay's quality (and I bought over six different tennis necklaces from different vendors).

The Deejay diamonds aren't ACA level, but I don't feel like I need that for a necklace. The notable thing about the Deejay's necklaces is the cut-the diamonds do sparkle.

alexpaige

Rough_Rock
Hi! Thank you SO much for sending through so many photos @Bron357 , (and for the new ones too!). Sincerely appreciate it. Your necklace is absolutely lovely.

I especially love the sparkle in that last pic :love:

@lulu_ma I agree about the diamonds not needing to be ACA level for a necklace. TBH, I looove a warmer diamond anyway, so I'm not too concerned colour wise. Main thing I'd love is something SPARKLY without any super noticeable inclusions.

@seaurchin I agree with you on not buying from the vendor with so few reviews. They never ended up following up on my last question

Right now, it's basically a toss up between Capucelli and Deejay.

Capucelli 7.5 CTW 3 prong necklace

Pros:
- I much prefer the 3 prong setting to the DeeJay one (for myself, personally, esp at the carat weight I'm looking at)
- has good reviews on their website and on google
- I can get 12% discount from a partner influencer (video of her necklace linked here)
- comes in the exact length I like and want (16.5")

Cons:
- I'm not exactly sure about the quality and the sparkle factor, other than the mention from the owner that there are no visible inclusions and the diamonds aren't cloudy, and the cut is deemed as "Very good"

Deejay Pros
- You're all raving about them, which is obviously a huge positive
- price is great

Cons:
- no returns
- I don't like the setting as much
- rigid lengths - only 16" or 18" available (I could be ok with 16", however)

Gah! This is so difficult.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This is easy! Order 2 tester necklaces in the different styles. Then you will have more clarity on your style preference.

You’ve probably already seen this pic but this is the Deejay 7 ct 18” (line style) with the 8.54 ct 18” (graduated). I *think* the 16” 6 carat in would have similar size diamonds to the 7 ct. In hindsight, I wish I had taken videos of the the two necklaces when they were in hand.

CC3DD92B-B71B-4B8A-8477-FB949E383571.jpeg

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one main thing I notice is that the weight.
With DeeJay 14kt, of a 16 inch diamond necklace is a good 22 grams, whereas the Capucelli 17 inch is only 14 odd grams in weight.
Are you in the US? If yes, you can always return if you don’t like. just be aware that you’ll still be up for any transaction fees (if applicable) and shipping costs both ways. Check the return policy before purchase.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
- rigid lengths - only 16" or 18" available (I could be ok with 16", however)

Gah! This is so difficult.

I'm fairly certain one of the folks who bought from Deejay had an adjustment to their standard lengths (made longer). I'll look for her thread but you could ask them if they will make it in the length you want. I'll come back if I find her thread.

Found it. Look at post #12. She says she had them make it 2 inches longer.

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So here is my latest tennis necklace experience:
I have been searching for an everyday TN as I have one that is way to dressy for every day. Just don’t feel comfortable wearing it 24/7 it’s about 12 carats. I really should have gone smaller.
I ordered the 3.5 carat 4 prong set wg from Etsy (Elizabeth Jewelers) but was underwhelmed. Looked better in pic. Nice but double clasp pulled my hair and it flipped too much. I expect flipping with smaller carat weight but it just looked plain. I am also in Canada and had to send it back. Customer service was very slow to respond and I had to keep emailing 4-5 times to get even confirmation of receiving it back. Apparently only one person doing everything. She apologized for her unresponsive and gave full refund-no restocking fee which I did appreciate. I did a lot of research and decided to order the 4.5 Ready to Ship from capucelli. I ordered on a Friday yet they said it will go out today-Wednesday. Bit disappointed in that delay but well -ok. So it ships today and I expect it in a few days. Maybe Friday but most likely early next week. Will keep you posted! Here is a few pics. The one with floral shirt is the one I returned. Also I took advantage of 15% ready to ship offer they sometimes do. Otherwise it’s a new customer 10% off that you can get by email. It came to $2950 USD for the 4.5 carat 4 prong 17 inch B6F05E8E-3667-4BD7-9F75-A785C3469FCD.png 17953A6B-5351-43FF-9AA3-43BC4752E97F.png

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
One thing I find curious is why Dejay does not offer 4 prong. I’m afraid the buttercup setting just hides too much of the stone. More metal. Hence why the gram weight is higher.

alexpaige

Rough_Rock
@princessk YOU ARE MY HERO! Thank you so much for responding and letting me know. I'll be anxiously awaiting an update.

I agree with you that the Deejay setting has a lot more gold and therefore is likely upping the total gram weight. While the gold is lovely, it just isn't the look I am hoping to achieve, especially with a necklace that is less than 7ct overall. @Lookinagain I asked deejay if they had any other options for lengths and essentially they told me no. Maybe they are busy or maybe they don't want to customize anymore, I'm not sure :(

I also originally had my eye on the Elizabeth Jewelers Etsy shop (it went all the way into my basket!) but when I noticed the stones were I2 I hesitated, and that's really what kicked off this massive search for the perfect necklace at a reasonable price.

I also love the 4 prong setting from Capucelli, I think I'll likely personally go 3-prong but I think both styles are lovely (and ideally one day I'll also have a 4 prong to layer with the other).

Please keep me posted with updates, I'm so excited I finally found someone on here who has made a purchase with Capucelli and can give a firsthand experience.

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@princessk YOU ARE MY HERO! Thank you so much for responding and letting me know. I'll be anxiously awaiting an update.

I agree with you that the Deejay setting has a lot more gold and therefore is likely upping the total gram weight. While the gold is lovely, it just isn't the look I am hoping to achieve, especially with a necklace that is less than 7ct overall. @Lookinagain I asked deejay if they had any other options for lengths and essentially they told me no. Maybe they are busy or maybe they don't want to customize anymore, I'm not sure :(

I also originally had my eye on the Elizabeth Jewelers Etsy shop (it went all the way into my basket!) but when I noticed the stones were I2 I hesitated, and that's really what kicked off this massive search for the perfect necklace at a reasonable price.

I also love the 4 prong setting from Capucelli, I think I'll likely personally go 3-prong but I think both styles are lovely (and ideally one day I'll also have a 4 prong to layer with the other).

Please keep me posted with updates, I'm so excited I finally found someone on here who has made a purchase with Capucelli and can give a firsthand experience.

Lol someone else that’s TN obsessed! Love it. Where in Canada are you? I’m in Langley BC

Diamond Best Friend

Rough_Rock
I have the Deejay necklace, it is graduated in 14 kt WG. I originally wanted the three prong setting but after seeing the Deejay setting here on PS, and receiving it, I like the Deejay as much if not more now. I find, the way the stone is set in the setting it actually highlights the stone really nicely, it IMHO does not hide it. 864260

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have the Deejay necklace, it is graduated in 14 kt WG. I originally wanted the three prong setting but after seeing the Deejay setting here on PS, and receiving it, I like the Deejay as much if not more now. I find, the way the stone is set in the setting it actually highlights the stone really nicely, it IMHO does not hide it. Diamond Riviera Necklace and Rubellite Earrings.jpg

It’s beautiful! For me, I think I just want to stick to the 4 prong as I have a tennis bracelet, eternity band and hoops all with 4 prong. I’m matchy matchy ocd with all my Jewellry lol

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@alexpaige
Just an update. Capucelli has yet to send me a tracking number. They told me they would ship on Wednesday. It’s Friday and they have not returned two emails that I sent asking for tracking info. Not impressed with communication. I know it’s a busy time but I purchased a “ready to ship” item one week ago because it’s well, ready to ship. Feeling frustrated.

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
I also have a DeeJay riviera style necklace, a little over 13 carats.

I do love it but find it’s a bit much for everyday wear, so I’m thinking I’d like to get something a little more casual or a tennis style with a lower carat weight.

I do get some flipping but also, at times, I find it twists around my neck (as opposed to flipping) and the front soldered part is off centre….if that makes sense!

I also love the look of a three prong. Ideally I’d like 15 or 16 inches in length but I am worried about the flipping issue. Twisting won’t be an issue as the stones will all be one size.

I look forward to seeing pics and hearing about your Capucelli necklace when you finally receive it. Also, waiting for an item to arrive once the final decision to purchase has been made is excruciatingly difficult, I feel your pain! I hope it arrives very soon.

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also have a DeeJay riviera style necklace, a little over 13 carats.

I do love it but find it’s a bit much for everyday wear, so I’m thinking I’d like to get something a little more casual or a tennis style with a lower carat weight.

I do get some flipping but also, at times, I find it twists around my neck (as opposed to flipping) and the front soldered part is off centre….if that makes sense!

I also love the look of a three prong. Ideally I’d like 15 or 16 inches in length but I am worried about the flipping issue. Twisting won’t be an issue as the stones will all be one size.

I look forward to seeing pics and hearing about your Capucelli necklace when you finally receive it. Also, waiting for an item to arrive once the final decision to purchase has been made is excruciatingly difficult, I feel your pain! I hope it arrives very soon.

Capucelli emailed me last night said they will be shipping on Monday. A bit disappointed in the time to ship when buying a ready to ship item. It should not take 10 days. Interesting how so many of the reviews said they ship quickly. Luckily it is a gift for myself but if I was waiting to give to someone for Christmas I’d be a bit more anxious.

alexpaige

Rough_Rock
Capucelli emailed me last night said they will be shipping on Monday. A bit disappointed in the time to ship when buying a ready to ship item. It should not take 10 days. Interesting how so many of the reviews said they ship quickly. Luckily it is a gift for myself but if I was waiting to give to someone for Christmas I’d be a bit more anxious.

This is frustrating. I actually messaged someone on instagram who was featured in Capucelli's story highlights, and she PMed me back saying the diamonds in the necklace she got from them were not very clear and she wasn't overly happy with it. She mentioned she had sent it back for clearer stones, but it wasn't clear from her message whether or not she exchanged it with them or did a full return, and I haven't heard back when I asked for clarification.

I'm interested to hear your experience.

Alternately, I've seen a few people on this forum post about xothebijouxbox from instagram, and I'm considering buying from her after the positive reviews. While they aren't the 3 prong style I love, I still prefer the "line" tennis style to buttercup setting.

Curious to know if anyone has ever purchased from JewelrybyArsa or SocialValue on Etsy?

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is frustrating. I actually messaged someone on instagram who was featured in Capucelli's story highlights, and she PMed me back saying the diamonds in the necklace she got from them were not very clear and she wasn't overly happy with it. She mentioned she had sent it back for clearer stones, but it wasn't clear from her message whether or not she exchanged it with them or did a full return, and I haven't heard back when I asked for clarification.

I'm interested to hear your experience.

Alternately, I've seen a few people on this forum post about xothebijouxbox from instagram, and I'm considering buying from her after the positive reviews. While they aren't the 3 prong style I love, I still prefer the "line" tennis style to buttercup setting.

Curious to know if anyone has ever purchased from JewelrybyArsa or SocialValue on Etsy?

I follow xothebijouxbox and I think she’s totally awesome and legit. Just seems like low supply. She just posted a tennis necklace and it sold immediately. Price was fair. I’m surprised you haven’t been able to find anything in Toronto. I follow #diamondsandsweatshirts out if Toronto. They have lots of styles to choose from. I just ordered a charm from them. It’s nice not having to deal with US dollar exchange and possible duties. Check them out. Super friendly to deal with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results