shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing a RB Diamond? (15-17k budget)

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
Hi - I've been on the search for a RB Diamond since the beginning of the year and have done a good amount of research from this site as well as from the forum posts/discussions. I have visited some of my local shops around town as well as looked from online sellers, but I can never really makeup my mind on a stone and need that second opinion, which I'm hoping some of you on here can help me out with. I'm in no real rush to purchase, but wouldn't mind picking up a solid deal on a beautiful stone if it was available right now.

My budget is at about 15k, and I'm looking to stay around that area, but I'm willing to go up to around 17k if it's really deemed worth a very beautiful stone. In terms of the 4C's, I'm looking for around 1.5ct or up / Ideal or excellent cut all around / clarity of VS2 or VS1 / color of H or higher. The reason for these last two options being where they are is because I'm willing to sacrifice the clarity and color that isn't noticeable to the naked eye for a bigger stone. As for the more technical part - HCA, Tolkowsky cut, Ideal Scope, Aset, etc etc... I have somewhat good knowledge after reading about all these areas, but would love some advice/guidance as I continue my search.

With that said, I hope some of you will help...

I came across what I think is a nice stone today, hoping I can get some thoughts? The reports show it to be performing nicely, but I'm not 100% sure if this is the one, or if with my budget I can do better and should just ante up. As you can see it's not the most perfect H&A, but from what I've read is that once the stone is set, the hearts are no longer visible (only visible upside down), and I should really just focus on how the diamond arrows display (visible from top). Also would the Aset and IdealScope images of this stone be considered good, or should I just wait for something better? At this point I'm unsure if I'm just being too picky from all the knowledge I've absorbed. Thanks

Carat - 1.7
Color - H
Clarity - VS2
Cut - Ideal
Polish - Ideal
Symmetry - Ideal
Measurements - 7.59x7.65x4.74
Fluorescence - Negligible
Girdle - Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
HCA: 62% depth, 56.2% table, 35° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle
IdealScope: https://s31.postimg.org/bpdgjry6j/Ideal_Scope.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice well balanced stone if it is AGS graded. Great ASET. What kind of setting does the wearer want?

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy! I'm very happy to see you chime in! It indeed is an AGS graded diamond.

The wearer will be my lovely girlfriend, that I'm hoping soon to call fiancé soon. :D

She's somewhat aware that I am shopping for an engagement ring, but not 100% sure since I've been shopping for it quite sometime now. I've randomly asked about her thoughts on her friends engagement ring, and thoughts of ring styles when the subject of getting marriage randomly come up.

I was initially going to get it on a solitaire setting and let her choose to a different one of her linking afterwards (if she wanted), but after receiving hints that didn't really like the solitaire look, I opted to take a different route.

I'm thinking of placing it on a channel setting. When I first began my search for an engagement ring I first visited our local Tiffany&Co, they showed me several settings, but the one that really stood out to me was their channel 6-prong setting. I really liked the way the small stones within the band built up to the main stone, as well as how it gave off a "clean" look (not to busy of a design).

The only problem here is that Tiffany&Co won't sell a setting alone, so I'll probably need to have a custom made.

Images/Examples:
http://www-static.weddingbee.com/pics/304998/photo_(3).JPG
http://www.ringenvy.com/wp-content/uploads/files/IMAG0113-460x275.jpg
http://media.tiffany.com/is/image/T...1_17655485e040903_v.3_cw_tf_ml_x1b_SPM_R1.jpg?

I'm unsure if these are the same setting, but I really liked this one as well.
http://oi66.tinypic.com/n2dczt.jpg
http://oi65.tinypic.com/28sstgz.jpg

Btw, she's a ring size 5 or 6, which is why I opted for a 1.5ct - 2ct. I'm thinking this should be a good size of a stone for her ring finger size.

I had to type this quickly, sorry if I have some typos on here, she's walking around the house and is asking me what I'm up to.

"Nothing hunny! just doing some online shopping for a new toaster!" :angel: :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok so. Channel settings like that one appeal to men quite a bit. It's surprisingly consistent. You ask a guy what type of setting he likes and if it has diamonds it is either channel and clean or large halo and superbowl bling. But they are VERY out of style right now and unless your lady is in her mid-forties and up, I would advise STONGLY against that setting. Plus they are a PITA to size and women's ring sizes fluctuateion with some predictability, especially in the event of pregnancy, and often permanently. There are some channel settings that are more modern than that one, so we can look at those, possibly if she specifically asked for channel settings. But again there is the sizing issue so if you don't actually know her ring size channel is a bad idea.

As this is not for you, and your tastes aren't really the one we have to focus on, I'm going to ask you to first: relay what these hints you said she gave you were specifically. And second ask you to check her PINTEREST account ASAP if she has one and see (and post for us) what rings she has pinned.

What is your setting budget?

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1469003357|4057486 said:
Ok so. Channel settings like that one appeal to men quite a bit. It's surprisingly consistent. You ask a guy what type of setting he likes and if it has diamonds it is either channel and clean or large halo and superbowl bling. But they are VERY out of style right now and unless your lady is in her mid-forties and up, I would advise STONGLY against that setting. Plus they are a PITA to size and women's ring sizes fluctuateion with some predictability, especially in the event of pregnancy, and often permanently. There are some channel settings that are more modern than that one, so we can look at those, possibly if she specifically asked for channel settings. But again there is the sizing issue so if you don't actually know her ring size channel is a bad idea.

As this is not for you, and your tastes aren't really the one we have to focus on, I'm going to ask you to first: relay what these hints you said she gave you were specifically. And second ask you to check her PINTEREST account ASAP if she has one and see (and post for us) what rings she has pinned.

What is your setting budget?

:appl: :appl: :appl:

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
Oi..see, this is why i need some guidance, I had no idea, and don't really have many lady friends to assist me.

Sorry - I should of probably started off the thread with a quick summary about ourselves, this would probably have given some help.

We are both in our early 30's, and while I myself have a bit more of an expensive taste, she's more of a simple girl with a hint of beauty of something over price. Honestly I think she would of been more than happy with a 1ct diamond, but I wanted to go a bit bigger, not only because I saved this much of a budget, but because I want to really express my love, as well as display my affection for her at family events. She's never really owned expensive items/label brands unless I buy it for her because sometimes I can tell when she really likes something, but can't justify spending her saved money for it. She recently went back to school/college to get a degree in business (works and school), she's very open minded, and is a loving person that loves to travel and sight see. We do want to eventually have a family of our own here in Los Angeles (she want's to stay close to family). On our off time, we are more of staying home and watching a movie and/or going out to a nice dinner. There are some occasions where we do like to go out for a few drinks but I think lately we've been more on a wine tasting tour (wineries with beautiful scenery/gardens).

Also, I should mention a little about her family, from her dads side, she has a family that is a bit more on the expensive taste when it comes to shopping, I already know they are going to want to "inspect" the diamond size, cut, clarity etc etc... though I can care less if they approve of it or not, I would like them to tell her that it's a big and beautiful stone so that she can feel great about it. From her moms side, she has a very simple - live, love, laugh type of family, they love her no matter what decision she makes in life (as long as it's a good and responsible one), and they approve in her judgement of a guy that loves her, the money and brands is no real object to them as long as the guy can financially support a family. I think both sides of her family like and approve of me. Not much to tell about myself since the ring wont be for me, but a bit of myself - I came from a family that really didn't have much when I was younger, and after college I worked myself into a good career that pays me well, and allows me to somewhat splurge out on things of my liking, which is why I had initially set a reasonable budget of about 15k but I'm flexible on it.

Hmm.. not sure if i'm missing anything else in general? She cooks, cleans and gives me a backrub when I'm in stress and tells me that everything is going to be alright even when my world is falling apart. Perfect woman in my eyes. :D

As for her pinterest - I should of thought of this before, not sure why I overlooked it. :wall: I'm not sure how this all works, but it made me register to look through her pinterest, so I created my own (named anonymous), and pretty much took/saved most of her wedding related pins on to mine (hope she can't see that.. lol). I wanted to start the pins with rings (newest posts to oldest), and work down to dresses and wedding arrangements in the same manner, but after viewing it on my pins it's "upside down", the newest pins for each will be in the order from bottom to top. Also lots of her initial pins are from over a year old as you scroll from bottom to top, newest being at the very bottom from about 3-4 months ago. I think she has since then moved on from halos, but I may be wrong... I'm so confused with all these mixed messages/posts. :???:

https://www.pinterest.com/helpfornewbie22/engagement-and-wedding/

I'll try and make a list of any small comments she has made about rings later today, hopefully they will be of somewhat help...On another note - I need to go put a down payment for this diamond to place it on hold while I work out this next step! :D

Thank you so much for your help Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That was very helpful. I have a solid idea of her taste. It's very consistent with her age and what you describe of your lifestyle. I see she likes halos, as you say. She seems to like round, square and pear the most in terms of shapes. So I think the round you picked is a very nice choice. I think a nice light pink diamond would have been a nice choice as well. And I may see what is available there, just to see.

Both her wedding dresses and her ring pins show VERY feminine taste with love of lace and floral designs. That is something we can absolutely work with. She loves pave and white and pink metal. And she's not a "giant rock" girl, it seems like she would be happy with any sized diamond.

You are absolutely right that she's not a metal solitaire girl. Good job listening!

You sound very much in love. Congratulations! And yes, Pinterest is a HUGE help when it comes to this kind of thing.

Since you guys do want kids I'm going to focus on designs that are floral and easier to size and not so ornate that they wouldn't be practical. But very feminine and high quality.

I may have missed it, but I didn't get your setting budget. I am going to assume that 3-4k isn't out of the question. And I know you aren't adverse to custom, which is good.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am seeing many pave shank solitaires and single halos. I think those are safest as they are pretty classic and will never really go out of style. She has great taste and I love the dresses she has pinned, too!

I am not 100% sure where the diamond is from. Is it possibly from Whiteflash? If not, please name the vendor because that would be the first place to look for settings. You are going to need her correct ring size before ordering.

Very hard to go wrong with this one:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1120.htm

or

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/elena-diamond-engagement-ring-1363.htm

halos:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/ritani-french-set-cushion-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-3376.htm

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, as you already observed, settings can be very overwhelming. So I'm not going to throw 30 choices at you. I know your own taste is on the simpler side of things, you want quality, and you want something that suits her tastes, that will be safe for every day wear. For her part she strongly favors ultra feminine FLORAL designs and likes pave very much. So I'm going to try to keep my suggestions easy to navigate and keep it confined to 5 settings, one in each 'catagory' of design she's pinned.

1. pave solitiare: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/freya-pave-platinum-5984p Very nice and straightforward, it is the most basic setting, elegant, and it has a floral design on the basket I think she'll love, which is why I picked it specifically. Plus it has a taper at the head, which is something she pinned. And the six prongs you favor.

2. diamond shoulders: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/616711742692524444/ This is her pin. Blue Nile doesn't sell their settings separate, and honestly I've never been impressed with their quality, so I would have David Klass (who does lovely custom work and is in LA) do a custom version of this. But I would have the proportions changed so that the center stone is the star and the sidestone design, while a copy of that, is smaller and not so overwhelming to the center stone. Also she does seem to want a flush fit wedding band, so David would custom design the "gallery" of the ring to allow for a flush fit band, and also do nicer claw prongs instead of the huge monster prongs in that picture.

3. a three stone round with pave, which is a style she pinned a couple times. The difference between this version and those she pinned is that this one doesn't have the three sided pave, so she will be able to wear a wedding band next to it (and it's more practical in terms of maintenance). And it is a much more sizing friendly version. Plus it has six prongs on the center, which I know you liked, and a 'floral' feel I think she'll appreciate: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/aphrodite-platinum-5980p

4. a vintage style with pretty floral diamond shoulders (also something she pinned): https://www.singlestone.com/single-stone-collection_c2/allison_p320/ This setting, has a very distinctive floral design and still manages to be very 'clean' and (as you can see) looks fantastic with the size stone you are buying. I've also seen this one in person and it is breathtaking. It will probably be the most expensive setting of the ones I've recommended. GOOD THING though, is that Singlestone is in LA, and you can go see it in PERSON. It also has the six prongs on the center that you favor.

5. a halo I think she'd love: http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-frankie-halo-setting/ I would do this one in rose and white gold for her. It is unique and is more 'durable' halo than most. I would ask for the following modifications: no donut, and no pave anywhere that it would interfere with a flush fit wedding band. This one has a "lacy" feel and vintage style that fits her style. I would do it 2/3rd eternity on the shank so it is more sizable than a full eternity.

So those are the top five settings I would pick for a round diamond, given her style and your budget/preferences.

You would get the stone insured through Jewelers Mutual, and then have the stone set wherever you chose. :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'm going to suggest something potentially "out of the box" here, so feel free to ignore :)

I saw a lot of feminine/pink/lace details on her pins, so I immediately thought of something with pink diamonds for a unique look. Here are 2 rings I found on DBL (diamonds by lauren). These are completed rings, but if you don't want that you could look at their setting options as well. Just a thought!

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/crafted-by-infinity-round-brilliant-diamond-108ct-g-vs1-ideal-cut-agsl-r4906
I love this one because it has a CBI diamond (thought to be some of the best) AND pink diamonds in the halo. I think its lovely :)

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/pink-diamond-ring-40ct-fancy-light-purplish-pink-heart-shape-gia-halo-r5868
This is the "unusual" one. Obviously not for everyone, but something that reminded me of her pins so I wanted to include it. But it's a hit or miss thing with heart shaped diamonds, so something you'd likely have to run by her first :wavey:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your gf has exquisite taste! These ladies have her style down. So many beautiful choices you can't go wrong!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.singlestone.com/single-stone-collection_c2/allison_p320/

If I received this setting for my e-ring I would literally fall out of my chair. And if I wasn't sitting down when I rceived it, my knees would buckle. You are so lucky to be down in LA. You can see SingleStone in person. I'm so jealous. I think you should bring your fiancé with you. I promise you will have so much fun and you will be amazed at the beauty that you see. Since you both appreciate quality and beauty. And the process of picking out your setting will be done together. I promise you it will be a bonding experience. And sorry to say you will probably end up picking out a matching wedding band. Just remember two words. "French cuts" You can thank me later.

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

These are some really great suggestions. I absolutely agree that her taste with lace and floral designs these settings would match better, now I'm just not sure what I was thinking about going with a plain channel setting (lol). She does seem to like pave' from looking at those images, and she does have some pink metal selections on her pintrest, but there are some few comments she has made in the past that make me rethink what she actually might like/not like (comments to each on the below suggestions).

Diamondseeker,, Gypsy , Lovedogs - I really like those suggestions. I've added comments below from top to bottom for each setting with some thoughts that she has commented from our past small talks.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1120.htm
Diamondseeker, I really liked this one from your suggestions, I'm sure she would love this as well, but it's 4 prong. I personally think for something this expensive she should have a 6-prong for that extra added security. I already know for something this expensive, and given the option of both that she would opt for the 6-prong as well.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/elena-diamond-engagement-ring-1363.htm
Nice option as well, but she has made small comments in the past about the ridges/vcuts on the band (sorry, not really sure what they are called), correct me if i'm wrong but i'm guessing this is what Pave' is right? See I don't think she knows that but yet she has mentioned that those bands get caught on stuff (clothing), or the diamonds might be easier to fall out and would cost more money to have replaced every time, which leads me to believe that this might not be the one for her.

pave solitiare: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/freya-pave-platinum-5984p
Ding! Gypsy, I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. This is just about everything I think she would love as a setting. The band diamonds sit within the band so it doesn't snag on to anything, it's a 6-prong, and the floral design as she sure does love the lace/floral design wedding dress styles, as well as how she has posted some of those fancy flower designed settings.
Only have a single question - would the prongs floral design affect any of the diamonds light performance?

diamond shoulders: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/616711742692524444/
I would really have to think this one over, or somehow bring these types of settings up in a conversation. I'm just really unsure since it just seems like a very different style from the rest of the settings.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/aphrodite-platinum-5980p
I liked this one as well, very much loved that "side view" shot, which displays the floral part you mentioned that she would appreciate. But again, those sidecuts on the band, she has mentioned in the past about those cuts getting snagged on stuff, or easier to lose one of those diamonds that are "sticking out" from the band and having to spend more money to have them replaced.

https://www.singlestone.com/single-stone-collection_c2/allison_p320/
No question that she would indeed fall in love with this one because of the unique vintage design of it looking like a flower. I've never heard of SingleStone, but I might just have to take a trip down town to see this baby in person(looks to be located in the diamond district area). I like the design as well, but does it seem like the setting/prong just has the diamond sitting inside (not really sticking out)? Also, same question as the Freya Pave, would the prongs floral design affect any of the diamonds light performance?

Halos:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/ritani-french-set-cushion-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-3376.htm
Halos, personally not my favorite, I would really just love to see the main stone "flash/stand out", but then again ring isn't for me so I have to keep telling myself that I like them and smile (for her). Though this one has the 'ridges/vcuts' on the band, and might not be to her like as well.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-frankie-halo-setting/
Okay, so this is where some of the suggestions get sticky. She does have halos pinned, and has rose gold styles pinned. But in the past she has mentioned in small talks about not really liking yellow gold, and same for rose gold (she also said something about the rings need to match, and that mine has to match hers and i'm too ugly to wear pink.. :o lol...), she would rather have white gold/platinum. I'm thinking the ones she has pinned might just be due to the design? Not sure... I'd also have to think this one through and probably get a better feel for her liking of the halo style.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-bella-halo-setting/
Not a bad looking Halo, again would have to get a better feel for her like of halos. Something I just remembered after seeing this specific setting - Would the weight of the stone at the top, and the thin band cause the ring to shift while wearing it? It's also something that she had mentioned to me (doesn't wanting tilting on it's own).

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-casablanca-halo-setting/
I really don't know about the "encapsulated" look, just looks a little too much to me.. sorry just not sure if she'd like this one.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/crafted-by-infinity-round-brilliant-diamond-108ct-g-vs1-ideal-cut-agsl-r4906
and
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/pink-diamond-ring-40ct-fancy-light-purplish-pink-heart-shape-gia-halo-r5868
The ridges/v's on the band, not sure if it would be much to her liking, and also the color, I think she is pretty set on white all around.

That took me a while to type up, but well worth it as I don't think I've ever received this much help even from walking into my local ring shops. I definitely need to review some of these settings, though I am pretty sure which ones I really liked and think she will like from the suggestions given. As of right now I'm really leaning towards the Freya Pave and the Allison (single stone), but need to see it in person first.

Thank you AprilBaby and LLJsmom for the kind words and suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

Again - I want to say that I am very grateful for your help, thank you. It's now 1AM and I have to wake up at in about 5 hours, I'll try and follow-up tomorrow in case there's anymore suggestions. Have a good night/morning. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. Good feedback.

First issue: prongs and light performance. No, there is absolutely no issue with an AGS ideal round in any six prong or even a bezel. The whole point of the cut is that the diamond gathers light from crown and table not pavilion. You are absolutely fine with literally ANY setting with your stone choice.

Second issue: v-cut pave: there is NO snagging on pave done right. Pave done right is EXPENSIVE for a reason. But cheap crappy pave does have that issue. I do think the three stone with pave has a lot of potential and she pinned 3 of them, I wish there was a way you could somehow show her the Freya, the Alison, and the Aphrodite and ask her which is her favorite. Any ideas on how you could do that?

Absolutely go to Singlestone! Make an appointment and go in. It's a lovely shop. Well worth the visit. Be careful of the diamond district, there is as much bad as good.

Third, if you did the Frankie Halo in all white it would be lovely. But yes sometimes rings to spin. Can happen with most designs though and actually has a lot to do with how the wearers fingers are designed. You can ask for a Euro shank with that style to prevent it.

:wavey:

If you want my personal opinion, if you can swing the Allison, that's just perfect. But go see it in person, and see what you think!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Singlestone has a lot of settings I like, but their pricing is crazy. I would still go through Love Affair Diamonds for any antique design. The problem I think with the Allison is that it will catch on things like sweaters when you take them on and off. Halos are a little risky. For example, I love them, but I would feel self-conscious about my ring looking so huge with a halo with my diamond.

BUT, I am going to say right now after reading your comments and thinking about a lifetime of wearing a ring and wanting it to be practical along with the pictures she posted, I LOVE the BG Freya pave ring SO much, and I think that is the way you should go. Then get them to make the matching wedding band later. Simple and elegant is always wise, and that setting is different from any others and I really love it (I'd add milgrain if I were ordering it for myself)! The price is very reasonable, too! I'd look for a diamond there if buying the ring there, too.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like a lot of the settings suggested... but these two really stand out to me.

For a halo, the Bella is just divine... so feminine and beautiful! For a solitaire, the BG Freya is very classic but with a twist -- not just like everyone else's. I also agree with DS -- I'd have it milgrained.

Edited to add: I'd do all white metal in the Bella... RG is risky.

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the setting feedback, I'll definitely be taking these into account and taking a trip to downtown.

I just thought of another question about the diamond. Should I be worried if the diamond is at exactly the weight of 1.704, it being too close to the borderline between a 1.6 and 1.7? I was doing some reading about how there's a big jump between whole numbers, I'm afraid that if the diamond were to somehow (god forbid) chip, that it would drop significantly in value.

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104071133003-PLDQR.PDF

I'm still unsure of when I'm going to pop the question. My thoughts were to take a summer vacation somewhere with nice beaches and proposing, but seeing how summer is already here, I might have to wait until next year, unless I come up with another plan. With that said, am I jumping the gun on buying this diamond? Should I be waiting in case something "better" comes up from WF? I'm just not sure how often something this nice of a cut comes up. Thanks

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
After reading my post it almost sounds like I'm getting cold feet here. I need to get a grip of myself. :lol:

I went forward with it, the stone is very much beautiful from what I can tell, as well as the great feedback I received from everyone here, so with that said, I want to see it in person. Besides WF has a great return policy anyway if anything changes. :D :dance:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondNewbie22 said:
After reading my post it almost sounds like I'm getting cold feet here. I need to get a grip of myself. :lol:

I went forward with it, the stone is very much beautiful from what I can tell, as well as the great feedback I received from everyone here, so with that said, I want to see it in person. Besides WF has a great return policy anyway if anything changes. :D :dance:

It looks great -- I doubt you'll want to return. [emoji4]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a piece of advice: a lot of people seem to think the proposal needs to be part of some special occasion. The proposal itself IS a special occasion. And most women would strongly prefer NOT to wait a year to get engaged.

What are your favorite activities together? You can make everyday events fabulous just because you are together (one of the keys to a happy marriage) and all you need to celebrate is each other.

Can you plan a quick weekend getaway to San Diego and spend a couple nights at the Del (that place is fabulous) or even one night? Just some random weekend?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1469139928|4058118 said:
Just a piece of advice: a lot of people seem to think the proposal needs to be part of some special occasion. The proposal itself IS a special occasion. And most women would strongly prefer NOT to wait a year to get engaged.

What are your favorite activities together? You can make everyday events fabulous just because you are together (one of the keys to a happy marriage) and all you need to celebrate is each other.

Can you plan a quick weekend getaway to San Diego and spend a couple nights at the Del (that place is fabulous) or even one night? Just some random weekend?

Exactly. Give me a nice dinner with a fabulous dessert and throw the rock in as a surprise at the end when I'm all doped up on sugar. Guarantees a YES in my book.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1469139928|4058118 said:

+1 to this! I think it's very sweet that so many men think a proposal requires a special occasion, but I agree that the proposal is special enough! I would be much happier to be engaged a year earlier than to get engaged on a vacation (rather than somewhere beautiful that we could go in a day). I think book a weekend get away (having lived in SD I second how amazing the Del is, also hotel coronado and La Valencia are gorgeous places), and pop the question then. She'll be floored and won't have to wait :wavey:

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Sounds like you are getting some good guidance and good you found her Pinterest!

Just a side note, I'd remove the dresses from your board since I'm sure (unless you have discussed it) she'd rather keep the dress and that look to herself for now :)

Good luck on the proposal!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any update?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondNewbie22|1469127206|4058042 said:
Thank you for the setting feedback, I'll definitely be taking these into account and taking a trip to downtown.

I just thought of another question about the diamond. Should I be worried if the diamond is at exactly the weight of 1.704, it being too close to the borderline between a 1.6 and 1.7? I was doing some reading about how there's a big jump between whole numbers, I'm afraid that if the diamond were to somehow (god forbid) chip, that it would drop significantly in value.

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104071133003-PLDQR.PDF

I'm still unsure of when I'm going to pop the question. My thoughts were to take a summer vacation somewhere with nice beaches and proposing, but seeing how summer is already here, I might have to wait until next year, unless I come up with another plan. With that said, am I jumping the gun on buying this diamond? Should I be waiting in case something "better" comes up from WF? I'm just not sure how often something this nice of a cut comes up. Thanks

It has nothing to do with the weight of the diamond, it has to do with the diameter of the diamond. You do not order a setting until you have the diamond. If you go with a custom ring like most of the ones we posted for you, they make the setting to fit the diamond. You get insurance on the ring so if the diamond ever chips, they replace it for you. So stop worrying about that!

If I were a girl in love and was with the person I was to marry, I would not be happy AT ALL to have to wait a YEAR for a proposal!!! Oh my goodness, men and women think so differently!!! :lol:

There are thousands of proposal ideas for any time of the year. How about a trip to a nice location for the weekend and take her to a scenic area and propose and have a fabulous dinner planned? Or take her to NYC to go to a show she would love and propose during that long weekend? My niece was just proposed to recently at a location where they first met, and he surprised her with their parents being there and had a nice dinner afterwards. Heck, my husband proposed in my apartment because he couldn't hang onto it longer than a day without giving it to me! We are still married 30 something years later and I am not harmed by not having some kind of spectacular proposal!!!

My advice is to get this ring purchased and have a plan for the proposal within 30 days just in case she doesn't like the setting or something. It is still summer for several more weeks, so you can even still do a summer proposal if you want!

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm Back! It's been one hell of a crazy past few weeks between work, family and trying to plan everything.

update:
I have visited Singlestone, and wow. That Allison setting is just BEAUTIFUL! I really liked it, and I'm almost sure that she'll like it as well. The stone they had on the setting looked really nice, but it was European cut, which I i'm hoping will look the same (as beautiful) if they placed my stone on it. I would have to bring my stone in, and they would set it. But like everyone said, Singlestone is a little more on the pricey side (a little over double what the freya pave is) which puts me a little over my overall budget that I originally had in mind. I'm questioning if I should just pull the trigger and just do it, or if I should keep looking, but time is running short.

I still need to get stone looked at, appraised. I was looking through some of the appraisers listed on here, and there's one near me - Patrick Davis. My only concern with going to him is due to the fact that WF has him as the "go to" appraiser listed, which I'm thinking this would be a bit of conflict of interest? Thoughts?

As for Insurance, any tips?

I know everyone said to just keep it simple with the proposal... but we REALLY need a much deserved vacation. I have also set a Hawaii trip for end of September. So after getting it insured and having it all set for our trip, i'm hoping this will be it. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the Allison, unless you have to charge it and go into debt for it.

Regarding appraisers: no conflict. They aren't affiliated.

Is the trip this year or next?

Insurance: Jewelers Mutual.

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
The trip is for this year - end of September. I was looking at other places for vacation, but I think for a full 10 days, Hawaii seemed like a good idea if we split days between Oahu and Maui (4/4).

I thought about going smaller, but ACA instead of ES from WF, but I'd only be saving about 1k which doesn't seem like much of a saving difference when taking the stone size into account.
mine (16k):
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137124.htm
other:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3588146.htm

I really wish this 1.638 made it's way back to WF since it was my original choice at about 14k, but someone beat me to the punch by about an hour. I was a bit bummed, but I'm still happy about the 1.7. :)
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3684608.htm

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1k savings is half way to the Allison overage isn't it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results