shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing a RB Diamond? (15-17k budget)

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
True... but going over by 1-2k doesn't bother me too much. I figure if this diamond is indeed a beautiful stone at a great price compared to others in the "Alternative" or "Matching" section of WF (which are mostly SI1 or below an H for the same price that i got my VS2/H), I'd just take the hit and go for it, unless for that cost we think I can get better (haven't really looked at other online sites). I have the money saved to cover the diamond and the setting of an Allison, no need to charge it, I think it's just more of a question if I should spend this much...besides I can eat peanut butter sandwiches for the next couple weeks and make it back.... :think: :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't tell you what to do financially.

I can tell you that ultimately it IS a piece of jewelry (regardless of symbolism). And YOUR particular lady (this does NOT always apply regardless of what doting boyfriend's claim) really would be just as thrilled with the Freya and it is a fabulous setting too.

I think you should stick with your stone (have you not seen it yet)?

It's a really lovely stone.

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
And YOUR particular lady (this does NOT always apply regardless of what doting boyfriend's claim) really would be just as thrilled with the Freya and it is a fabulous setting too.
You are very much right about this. I'm 100% sure that she will be happy with the Freya as well.

The Allison is very beautiful and would be my choice, but to spend that much, and for her to then see other options later that she might of preferred would somewhat leave me with a stomach ache. With that said, I'll need to take a look at the Freya up next.

As for the stone, yes it's beautiful and will most likely be staying with it. My only concern is that I don't really have anything to compare it with side-by-side. To go further is that I don't have a stone that is "perfect" hearts and arrows to compare with and the question stands of whether I should of just gone with ACA or stay with ES. On another note, I just got off the phone with Patrick and have scheduled an appointment with him which I'm excited about since I'll get to pick at his brain about this matter a bit more in person. :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take the stone to a Hearts on Fire dealer. Look up online to see where the nearest one to you is, make an appointment and go and see your side by side with theirs. You live in LA, not Timbuktu. You have lots of resources. Freya is in Houston, so you aren't going to be able to see it in person.

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
Update - Took my stone to the appraiser, and it in fact is a diamond. :lol:

On a more serious note, most of the diamond is in reflection from what the AGS report says, except for the color. In the opinion of the appraiser, he initially felt that it was between an I and a J instead of an H. He took 2-3 looks at it and said if it's an H on the report than his opinion stood as an "I". But he explained that it's his word against AGS and they probably have more equipment or 3-5 different people to grade it and came to consensus that it was an "H", therefore I shouldn't put too much weight on his opinion. I was a bit bummed about that, but not a total dealbreaker.

Another note that I do remember, he felt that the stone was a either a really good SI1 or VS2, which was in line with the VS2, but only said "very good SI1" due to the inclusion being on the table.

After returning home and taking another look online (WF), I noticed that in comparison to my stone there was this stone which matches everything except the color and clarity and price. I was hoping I can get some thoughts/opinions on what I should do. The stone is an "I", but higher clarity (VS1), and the stone is an ACA instead of an ES.

Should I get a true "I" but go for the ACA and higher clarity? I'd be saving myself a couple of hundreds as far as cost goes, but dropping in "official cert" color and stepping it up in clarity and cut.

Mine:
1.704 ct H VS2 Expert Selection Round Cut Loose Diamond
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137124.htm

Other "I" ACA VS1:
1.704 ct I VS1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Super Ideal Round Cut Loose Diamond
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3658576.htm

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. The line between your ES and the ACA in terms of cut is SO fine that there will be no distinguishable difference. You DO have higher color, and ask the appraiser (so good appraiser) noted, color grading at AGS is done by more than one person determining the grade so you DO have an H, which is a visible difference. And the clarity at VS is just right. You aren't paying for anything you can't see as is, and there is no point in dropping the color grade.

We have advice we give to people who have bought their diamond and their wedding dresses (when they have made a great choice as is) is STOP LOOKING. That way lies madness.

You have to get the thing set. And ALL of the settings you are looking at have 3 week, minimum lead times. So make a decision on the setting now that you have the stone appraised and get ready for your trip.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
You already have a fantastic Stone. I would stick with it.

Regarding the setting. Do you think your lady would prefer a classic engagement ring style or that she would like something a bit more unique? The Allison is definitely unique and no one will have anything like it in her circle.

I personally would prefer that unique look. Other women prefer to have a ring that looks like a more traditional engagement ring and they don't mind that there are other similar Rings.

You would know her taste better than anyone else

DiamondNewbie22

Rough_Rock
Update - Thanks Gypsy for talking me out of making a change in stone. I decided to stick with mine. :wink2:
This is the problem that I usually have. I keep second guessing my decision and really needed someone to confirm what I'm doing is the right move.

I have also taken you up on some of your advice about not living in timbuktu (lol) and have been going to many local jewelry stores to look at settings in person before making a decision. I have finally came across a designer brand that has a few settings that I really think my girlfriend would love, have you heard of parade design? I'm really impressed with a few of their settings as well as their Lyria signature crown, which adds a hint of leaf/flower - http://www.paradedesign.com/lyria-crown/......

Since my last post, I went through my girlfriends jewelry and found that she has a few "infinity" rings, as well as flowery looking rings. With that said, I've narrowed it down to these two settings that should be arriving tomorrow for viewing before making a decision. The pricing on both is a hefty gap, but it's still a bit less than the Alison. Don't get me wrong, the Allison is beautiful and probably is worth every cent, but for the most part I think I like the shine and style to the parade design rings whereas the Allison was a bit less "shiny", and more of a vintage look/feel.

Here are the two that I'll be taking a look at tomorrow:

1. Lyria Bridal
http://www.paradedesign.com/jewelry/lyria-bridal/lyria-bridal-r3567/

2. Hemera Bridal
http://www.paradedesign.com/jewelry/hemera-bridal/hemera-bridal-r3568b/
http://www.paradedesign.com/jewelry/hemera-bridal/hemera-bridal-r3059/ (matching band for future)

Edit: I have to make a decision by Monday, and they have assured me to have it done before my trip at the end of this month.

Also, I received my appraisal report this morning in the mail and I have yet to insure the stone. Before moving forward I need some advice.
1. Should I get the stone itself insured right now on jewelers mutual, or should I just wait until it's all set and done? I'm guessing that I should have it insured now, and later get the full ring reappraised and insured again?

2. WF sent me an email with a 'quick' link/button that auto fills my diamond information on the jewelers mutual website, but the estimated price shows for a way higher value than what the appraiser gave me. How does this work? Should I just not use that link and instead fill the forms manually by entering the price estimate from my appraisal report (lower value)?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY.

I do like Parade designs. They have very solid quality. I strongly prefer the twisted shank Hemera ring of the two. The other one is very busy.

1. You need the stone insured before you get it set. Most setters will not insure the stone while they are setting it. And yes, you will have to update the value once set.

2. Insure for the appraised value. Not for any inflated values.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy said:
YAY.

I do like Parade designs. They have very solid quality. I strongly prefer the twisted shank Hemera ring of the two. The other one is very busy.

1. You need the stone insured before you get it set. Most setters will not insure the stone while they are setting it. And yes, you will have to update the value once set.

2. Insure for the appraised value. Not for any inflated values.
I didn't realize that Jewelers Mutual would insure a loose stone. Good to know.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They do not generally. But if it is lose only before being set immediately then thwy will cover it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results