shape
carat
color
clarity

Help an oldbie find an anni/bday diamond?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I have been on PS forever, but I don’t seem to have the mind that some of you do to understand and retain all the info related to finding & shopping for a great diamond. I have tried to do it alone for other purchases, and I have inevitably ended up kicking myself over one aspect or another. So this time I’m reaching out for some help & support! :)

I have a big birthday & anniversary coming up, and DH has kindly offered to gift me a diamond ring for my right hand. I would love a square diamond, in part as a nod to my original (a princess, which I traded in for an OEC), and because I still enjoy the square shape.

- Thinking an asscher, or possibly a cut-corner H&A radiant
- You know, as Jon said in one of his videos, an asscher with a hall of mirrors, ten miles deep, tons of brightness, pastels, great brightness and contrast patterning
- Diamond + setting, 4k.
- I tend to like higher colors - would love an F, VS2, but I’m open to D-H, and VVS-VS. Am always open to lower color/clarity if it’s that needle-in-a-haystack.
- Around .75ct, give or take, based on budget.
- I’m planning to put it in a simple bezeled solitaire, possibly with some engraving, likely 14k or 18k gold (not sure unplated white, rose, or yellow).

Would GOG be the best to work with on an asscher (or the H&A radiant)? Anyone else you’d recommend for asschers or H&A radiants?

Any recommedations of stones from those of you with an eye & experience for asschers? I have found a few on JA that seem promising - but I hesitate because I can only ask for three ASETs, plus their upgrade policy requires 2x the purchase price, which isn't as good as some others.

Thank you so much!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Rainy!
I really wouldn't recommend an asscher as they face up small and you really need 5.5 mm to appreciate them.

How about a nice square cushion?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you're fast! :wavey:

Okay, I was afraid of that. :(sad Yes, a square cushion has crossed my mind - but I like the ones with the sharp edges and cut-corners. GOG only has a couple on their site, and if I recall, they are out of budget. And JA has one, that actually fits the bill nicely. Have you seen them in person (probably a silly question :cheeky: )?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, there's a K/VS1 on JA's site that is just over 5.5, and it looks like it could be pretty. What do you think of asshers in lower colors? I know ultimately I have to go see some to see what *I* think, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. And thank you!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops - wasn't clear. The K/VS1 is an asscher. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainy, if you were to set it in yellow gold, I think K would be fine in an asscher. I have to laugh when I say that, because I actually have a K color antique asscher that I am setting in platinum! But I would probably only set a stone that size in a yg bezel. Rose gold works when the tint is more brown than yellow.

I do like an asscher with your other stone being a round. But Gypsy is right that you almost need to be at 1 ct. or more to really appreciate the cut....which I truly love!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on the stone, how it wears the color.

Do you want to link me?

If I were going with a warmer color, I'd happily go to a J in a cushion, personally. Clairtek has a gorgeous cushion in J color set in platinum and it's just stunning. And yes, I've seen cushions of these facet plots in person, several times, and in a range of colors.

Either of these would be stunning:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C100-492765437
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C100-164687915
If eyeclean, this one would be lovely too: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-2007907

Higher color options:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.80-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-1922304
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.82-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1947547
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.81-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-1981606
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.80-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1078348

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are some great stones Gypsy, thank you! There are two in particular I am drawn to. I'm going to have a busy day today, so I'll post a link later on (so lurkers don't take it while I'm having fun!).

DS, an antique asscher... that sounds divine! I hope we will get to see it! I'm encouraged that you have a lower color asscher.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another view, since the "body" color is not seen well it is very hard to see any tint face-up. It's worth checking out the lower colors!

_38152.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also saw Kroshka's K asscher set in a platinum halo when I was in Houston in Feb. That made me appreciate that you could set a K in any metal. I really like the contrast of a halo, but I couldn't set mine in a halo or it would have been too big. So I am hopeful that I'll like the color the way I am setting it! I will definitely show it here when it is ready, probably November. I also have a 5.5-5.6 mm asscher that is H color in a Beaudry setting. This may help you see the size on a finger. Mine has a small halo that boosts the size appearance.

_38153.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!
I am of no help in finding a diamond but I really just wanted to post that I disagree with what has been said re appreciating asschers in under 5.5 mm. I have an asscher band with 0.1 ct asschers (0.3 mm) and I can appreciate the patterning very well. Of course, the bigger the better and asschers do face up small, *but* if you want an asscher I think you should get one. They are gorgeous, any size... :lickout: :saint: If size is your main priority though I agree with what has been said, maybe consider another shape.

Eta! 3 mm. NOT 0.3 mm. :lol:

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't help you pick one but just wanted to say that I LOVE my K asscher in Plat. So if you were open to exploring that option I would encourage you. :love:

img_12639.jpg

img_12640.jpg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo & hatha - I'm so excited that you posted because your asscher rings are two that I love! I must have been too busy admiring them to play close attention to the specs. :cheeky: You have given me renewed hope for an asscher. Aaaannnd now I'm off to admire your rings some more, with new eyes!

DS - a halo would make it too big? Um, now I'm dying to see this! Thanks for posting your Beaudry, it does help, plus I just never tire of seeing one of your gorgeous rings.

aca - lol, I reread the first part of your post and was truly amazed! 3mm makes a lot more sense. Thanks for sharing your experience!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy! Thank you so much. The bezeled JBG solitaire is EXACTLY what I envisioned for the setting... you're good (no surprise). And I was thinking of DBL for exactly that setting, but I reread a thread recently where the bezel from their uber bench wasn't that well done, and DS strongly advised against using them... which made me nervous.

I especially like the 1.01 FLY, and the .62 FY. I'm not sure yellows look good on me, but you've got me considering them.

Does JA require a deposit or fully payment to put a diamond on hold? How many will they let you hold at a time? I want to post a couple for opinions, but I don't want them to get snatched up.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was just one specific bezel setting style that I would not reattempt there, partly because of the difficultly the customer experienced.

I love the JBG setting! Just best, imo, to buy when you can see examples of exactly what you want (unless you are doing a new design or something).

I am still rooting for an asscher. ;))

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that's kinda what I really want too DS! At least, I haven't seen very many in person so I'm hoping either I find a great one online with a good return policy, or someone who has a few locally. I just put in a request with JA for an ASET on an asscher, which I will post here if they honor the request.

I have learned from past experience that when I deviate from my original plan, I end up wishing I'd stuck with what I had wanted from the get-go. So while the options you have posted for me Gypsy have some great distractions, I have to stay focused in a square stone! :cheeky:

Princess of Hearts is another option, and maybe I just go for a Solasfera Princess. If I do go princess, there is something about a smaller princess - like .5 - .75ct - that love. Bigger isn't better for me, in that cut.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, well I heard back from JA and they can't provide imagining bc the stones aren't in the district. Not entirely sure what that means, except that they don't have access to it.

So I guess I'll just take my chances here and hope if there is a good one, it doesn't get snatched up! Do any of these appear to be promising performers? I really am looking for one that's special in its cut/performance, and I can wait for it! :))

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.05-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-sku-1770955
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.04-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-1765059
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.74-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-610125
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.01-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-1969050

ETA: Oh wait, went back and looked at your links Gypsy and the first DBL one that you said looks cool... it does look cool. It's the right shape and I would love a step cut. Any idea what that color would look like IRL?? It sounds nutty! But good nutty? Pretty nutty? Lol, I don't know what to make of it, and sometimes the lighting in David's pics makes it hard to get a true read. I like when he does far away shots. I have to go reread his policies, see if it would be worth a look-see.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I went ahead and bought this diamond, because I really didn't want to lose it. I discovered Princess of Hearts are hard to find - GOG said the cutting house sold and they can no longer get them. I love the shape, love the optics, the color is good, and while I don't need that high for clarity, beggars can't be choosers! The weight is icing on the cake, since this is to celebrate my birthday and it has relevance. It maxes out the budget for the diamond, so I have a lot less to spend on the setting, which is a little bit of a bummer.

I have requested an ASET before it ships.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.76-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-839239

I am also considering having an Octavia custom cut. I have been talking with Matt at GOG, and he's been incredibly helpful. If they had an Octavia in stock that met my budget, I would be all over it as that cut just blows my mind.

Here's the thing: ceiling budget is 3200. I'm nervous about size with an asscher now, so if I go this route, I feel like I'd have to request 1ct, which would bring the color way low (like N, O, P??) and clarity low (like SI1?). Does that sound right? Being custom cut, I can't just decide I don't like that color for Octavia after all and return it. Or I could go smaller in size to up a bit in color (I'm not as worried about K), but then I risk feeling like Gypsy and DS where it loses something.

Finally, this lil' nugget has been in the running:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-61ct-fancy-brown-yellow-vs1-radiant-cut-diamond-gia-r6849
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAUDxz7XNMI&feature=youtu.be

It's got such a unique, pretty color, at least from the pics an video. Its ct weight is a little on the small side, but it does measure 4.9 so it's actually pretty close to what I started out wanting. My concern with this is that with fancy colors, you are trading optics and performance for color, right? And the reason I love diamonds is their optics and performance.

Anyway, so I guess I'd love to hear your opinions on these three options.

dblradiant.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! :wavey:
I am no expert and hopefully someone will chime in re the stones in question. I personally think you have three very different options on the table and you should probably consider what type of look you really want. That radiant will probably have a rather splintery irregular look while an asscher is on the whole other end of that spectrum with straight, broader flashes in a sharp and clear pattern. I have never seen an octavia IRL. Maybe the stone you ordered is somewhere in between these shapes with a more traditional round brilliant look to it. I have to say this again, if you want the look of an asscher - buy an asscher. If not well then you need to decide what look you do like. When it comes to the particular stones in question I am sorry, I have no advice to give, but I really look forward to following your project and seeing what you decide!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi aca! Thanks for chiming in!

I'm definitely not comparing apples to apples... or even apples to oranges, lol!

I think I was posting those three (very different) wanting to see what folks thought re: if there were any red flags (and I could cross any off my list), or one that really stood out.

I know what I want in terms of the overall: a square shape (or cut-cornered square), easy-to-wear everyday setting (bezeled, most likely), with optics and performance being top-notch.

An Octavia was always top of my list, but the stock is limited. I can have one custom cut, but I wonder if that's worth it given my budget which would mean a smaller size/lower color. I have had the Princess of Hearts bookmarked for months, because it pretty much hits all the notes, except for not being an asscher which I like the idea of having. And the DBL radiant has caught my eye for a long time too because of it's seemingly unique color, but I'm not sure that color trumps cut/performance for me.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received the ASET image for the cut-corned radiant. It looks pretty darn good to me, but I just don't trust myself. I've discovered too often after the fact that I only *thought* I knew what I was doing, lol!

Are those black & gray areas under the table worrisome? How about the edges of the diamond?

Thank you so much in advance for any and all interpretations/opinions!!

asetsquare.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainydaze|1473721417|4075682 said:
I received the ASET image for the cut-corned radiant. It looks pretty darn good to me, but I just don't trust myself. I've discovered too often after the fact that I only *thought* I knew what I was doing, lol!

Are those black & gray areas under the table worrisome? How about the edges of the diamond?

Thank you so much in advance for any and all interpretations/opinions!!

Nothing to worry about. It is a great ASET.
My advice?

Get it in person and see what you think. Go from there. It is a lovely stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results