shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! 1.68 OEC needs setting ideas! Antique/vintage/repro

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Help! 1.68 OEC needs setting ideas! Antique/vintage/repr

Thank you Susimoo ! Don't be jealous --- you've got yourself a pretty sweet stash of diamonds :naughty:

Awe, Sandycheeks, that is sooooo very sweet of you to say that about my posts :oops:

Thank you so much, Abby! Once you get your situation settled, lets be sure and find you a celebration/freedom diamond ring!!! Woo hoo!!

Nielseel - AWESOME setting - there are some pretty cool buys out there on eBay - I get so overwhelmed that its paralysis by analysis, hence why I'm posting and asking for advice! Thanks for that find! I realize that you and Madeliese both have the same excellent taste in settings!

Woofmama - when in October? We will be there later on OCt 29 and depart Nov 1 early in the morning. Tuesday Oct 30 is my Diamond District day, and I only get 1 because 50% of the married people I'm on vacation with, find diamonds not so interesting.... SHOCK AND HORROR, I don't comprehend how it could not be RIVETING for him!!! Yes, lets get a posting up to see if there are others who may want to play on 47th street!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here are some more - in the ring holder the GG gave me after the appraisal. Next, I want to find a UV light and put all my diamonds under.. ya never know...!!

img_1002.jpg

img_1003.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1348919440|3276389 said:
I am dreaming about diamond settings!!! I fell asleep thinking about the LJN settings... then the Adiamor RG one pops in and I feel guilty that I've eliminated it... then a page in my brain's computer (!) flips to DBL type designs and I go all gaga in my dreams about something from there....

Halos!

3 stones!

solitaire!

ARGH! This is no easy task! who knew? oh wait ---what am I saying!! WE ALL KNEW it would be hard to pick a setting, but fun fun fun :appl:

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Oooooh what a pretty lil' gal :love: :love: :love: I'm super excited for you Enerchi, you're everyone else's cheerleader and now we get to cheer you on :bigsmile:

Definitely unplated wg (depending on alloy) or rose gold - play up that gorgeous almost-buttery sort-of-yellowy kind-of-creamy colour :sun: If you want it as a RHR I'd vote against solitaire, and you already have a gorgeous threestone!! So I'd pick halo/bezel - BUT not your typical LM/VC type halo (especially with white melee surrounding the center)... I LOVE LOVE LOVE this JbEG, it's so unique and the right metal would complement your stone so perfectly, and the engraved "halo" adds just the right amount of bling :love: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Other/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Lynda-Engraved-Halo-Bezel/20399168_cFXTdV#!i=1614345685&k=Wbv2k5h

ETA looking at the pics and budget again I'd probably pick 14k unplated Ni-wg (any mix), I find that rg is a more subtle look that doesn't stand out against the skin as much, and if you know that you like the way halos Grab Your Attention then maybe more subtle is not the way to go ::)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful faceting in your stone! I'm still voting halo as it would be different from your three stone and I think a white halo would really play up the color in this new stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love Yssie's idea of that JBEG setting in an unplated yellowy WG. I like rose gold, and Im sure that would be beautiful, but sometime I think that looks best on darker skin tones.

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock

Do you like this setting? I will be returning it to the seller and I believe he will be asking around $1300-$1500 for it. It's 18k and currently a size 6 but their bench jeweler can size it for you. beth-1.jpg beth-3.jpg beth-2.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yssie and MissGotRocks, that halo plan was my initial thought ... pre stone purchase! What triggered that idea was a DBL listing for a Henri Daussi 3 stone halo'd ring. I loved the contrast of the M cushions with the bright white rb's. That's why I'm so very happy with the lower colour of my stone. Then when I was cruising JbEG when looking for stones, I came across that very ring, Yssie, and drooled over it for quite a while!! Great minds think alike, eh?? ;))

I just saw another gorgeous GabrielNY halo posted on a different thread, where the owner is showing her amazing 2+ ct M with the white halo. That's a stunning ring!!! AND - she's impressed with the quality of the pave setting - bonus! (I'm blanking out on which PSer it was and i'm sorry I've already forgotten her name :blackeye: ... once I click a page, the info often disappears from my mind as well as the screen... pathetic, I confess...)

If I go solitaire, what I like about the LJN settings is that they are more substantial in width -- as a perfect reflection to myself "substantial in width" as well! :lol: They are also not typical ering fare, in my end of the world.

I am loving this dilemma!! Ah, the joy of first world problems :wink2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

My vote is Yssies suggestion.

I also think you should wear this one as your e-ring and wear the 3-stone as a RHR :Up_to_something: I always think the biggest diamond should be worn the most often.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Plummiecat - I really like that setting! I see it is from H Moradi in LaJolla California. Nice setting! Were you dealing with Farid? Very nice gentleman!!

Let me ponder on that....

Dreamer! Nice to hear from you! That is an interesting point you make - the larger diamond becomes my regular ering?! I hadn't thought of not using my 3 stone since I just love it so much - I love the 'wall of white flashes' when I wear all my diamond armour! But... that is getting my juices flowing - you may have something there... hmmmm.....

Was helping my hubby outside today and its a clear blue sky, maple leaves are changing colour, the sun is shining so beautifully .... I just had to zip in and get my iphone and ollo clip! I'm a suck for taking more and more pics of this diamond! I'll post in a moment - too many to chose from, so I'll keep it to a dull flurry! :D

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sunny day on the 'estate', as we do garden work for the fall... (ugh!) Diamonds make the day better tho, don't you all agree? :love:

img_1028.jpg

img_1030.jpg

img_1033.jpg

img_1042.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Did I mention that I love this diamond?? :bigsmile:

The last pic shows more of the QR colouring and the lovely culet. By this point in the photo shoot, I'd probably touched the diamond way too many times to count, so what you are seeing, are not inclusions but finger prints, dust and the dirt on our windowsill from where the birds like to sit!

img_1040.jpg

img_1044.jpg

img_1048.jpg

img_1055.jpg

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! Holy moly what a gorgeous stone. You must be over the moon. I can hardly wait to see what setting you choose. I think it was my GabrielNY setting you referred to earlier. I just love the contrast of my M against the white melee of the setting. Like you, I also have a 3-stone ering and although this stone is larger, I never wear it on my left hand. It just doesn't feel right. I love the wall of bling the 3-stone provides.

Please keep the photos coming!!!!!! :cheeky: :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Farleysmom|1348945219|3276546 said:
Wow! Holy moly what a gorgeous stone. You must be over the moon. I can hardly wait to see what setting you choose. I think it was my GabrielNY setting you referred to earlier. I just love the contrast of my M against the white melee of the setting. Like you, I also have a 3-stone ering and although this stone is larger, I never wear it on my left hand. It just doesn't feel right. I love the wall of bling the 3-stone provides.

YES YES YES!!! It was your ring!!!! Oh thank you for coming over to say hi, Farleysmom!!! :appl: :wavey: :appl: I'm looking back at what you wrote on the Gabriel thread - I'm going to cut and paste and analyze! How did you determine that particular setting over all the others? I'm also limited by budget because I kinda blew it on this little thing ;))

So your halo is a RHR and you have 3 stone for your ering - that was my plan too, but I do kind of like fantasizing about Dreamers suggestion :naughty: I guess that's why I'm sort of up in the air about what setting to chose, for a few reasons.
A) totally out of my element in the vintage/antique repro realm. I'm usually more modern and contemporary but I am really drawn to this look!
and
B) because I do want to be able to wear it on both hands for flexibility and when my mood strikes! When its on my RH, I don't want it to be an off balance look of "why is that old lady wearing a new engagement ring on her wrong hand, she's so OLD!!" Ya, this is the kind of stupid thinking that enters my brain and eats away at me until I have an ah HA moment and then think - screw what anyone says, do what *you* want to do Enerchi! :lol:

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock

Enerchi|1348945703|3276549 said:
Farleysmom|1348945219|3276546 said:

YES YES YES!!! It was your ring!!!! Oh thank you for coming over to say hi, Farleysmom!!! :appl: :wavey: :appl: I'm looking back at what you wrote on the Gabriel thread - I'm going to cut and paste and analyze! How did you determine that particular setting over all the others? I'm also limited by budget because I kinda blew it on this little thing ;))

So your halo is a RHR and you have 3 stone for your ering - that was my plan too, but I do kind of like fantasizing about Dreamers suggestion :naughty: I guess that's why I'm sort of up in the air about what setting to chose, for a few reasons.
A) totally out of my element in the vintage/antique repro realm. I'm usually more modern and contemporary but I am really drawn to this look!
and
B) because I do want to be able to wear it on both hands for flexibility and when my mood strikes! When its on my RH, I don't want it to be an off balance look of "why is that old lady wearing a new engagement ring on her wrong hand, she's so OLD!!" Ya, this is the kind of stupid thinking that enters my brain and eats away at me until I have an ah HA moment and then think - screw what anyone says, do what *you* want to do Enerchi! :lol:

:snort: Laughed so hard my Pepsi came out my nose. I went through the same thing when I got my RHR stone. Originally I had it set in a plain 6 prong setting but it looked to engagement ringy to me. I chose this mount as I can wear stacking bands with this setting and they sit flush. I love the OTT look and believe me when I say that this old dog can rock it. LOL If others don't like it, who cares....I wear my jewelry for me. Here is a photo of my OTT RHR stack. Get and wear what makes your heart sing :mrgreen:

img_4956.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

um....Farleysmom, will you be my new BFF and we can play jewelry together???? LOVE that RH stack!!! Holy CHEET that's pretty sweet!!! :lickout: Ok, you sold me - never mind what anyone thinks of this old bat packin' some rocks! I'll just dazzle them with bling and leave them in my dust! :lol:

I was just on the Gabriel website and in the 14K WG, Victorian section, Halo - do you have a link to your particular setting??

This is the best sort of dilemma to have :appl:

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my Enerchi!!!!
I just lovelovelove your new stone.. just the right amount of warmth to make it special.. not too much and not too little. Such interesting faceting as well.. you can gaze at it all day!
What a lovely dilemma to ponder.. what setting you will be happiest with. The best thing is that all your choices are great.. there are not wrong answers for sure.
Farleysmom.. I love your fingerfull of hardware!! :love:

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock

Enerchi|1348947087|3276561 said:
um....Farleysmom, will you be my new BFF and we can play jewelry together???? LOVE that RH stack!!! Holy CHEET that's pretty sweet!!! :lickout: Ok, you sold me - never mind what anyone thinks of this old bat packin' some rocks! I'll just dazzle them with bling and leave them in my dust! :lol:

I was just on the Gabriel website and in the 14K WG, Victorian section, Halo - do you have a link to your particular setting??

This is the best sort of dilemma to have :appl:

Here is the link to my setting. It is in their Amavida collection.

Http://www.gabrielny.com/Amavida/style/ER6304W83

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think a halo is a very nice compliment for a three stone. I tried a similar combo on once and it worked great.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

B) because I do want to be able to wear it on both hands for flexibility and when my mood strikes! When its on my RH, I don't want it to be an off balance look of "why is that old lady wearing a new engagement ring on her wrong hand, she's so OLD!!" Ya, this is the kind of stupid thinking that enters my brain and eats away at me until I have an ah HA moment and then think - screw what anyone says, do what *you* want to do Enerchi! :lol:[/quote]

:snort: Laughed so hard my Pepsi came out my nose. I went through the same thing when I got my RHR stone. Originally I had it set in a plain 6 prong setting but it looked to engagement ringy to me. I chose this mount as I can wear stacking bands with this setting and they sit flush. I love the OTT look and believe me when I say that this old dog can rock it. LOL If others don't like it, who cares....I wear my jewelry for me. Here is a photo of my OTT RHR stack. Get and wear what makes your heart sing :mrgreen:[/quote]

Ditto.. on the SNORT.... Enerchi.. your new pictures are wonderful!!! So nice to take your new trinket out for a stroll (even nicer while the Hubs is slaving away in the yard!!! :Up_to_something: )

Your quote... THAT was me EXACTLY... and why I did the bezel setting...I really wanted a solitare...but the bezel sort of did both for me. I know not as antqiue-ish as what you are planning..but I really wanted something to show off the daimond.

I love how much fun your having!!! :appl: :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Needs afrench cut band, dontcha think mayk? :naughty:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1348952171|3276599 said:
Needs afrench cut band, dontcha think mayk? :naughty:

It if would fit.. IT WOULD BE PERFECT!!!!! :love: :love: Like Peanut Butter & jelly!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi, I just saw the new pictures....WOW! I love that baby. The faceting is gorgous and I luuuurve the color! Yummy. I could stare at that baby all day. :love: :love: :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

armywife13|1348968409|3276667 said:
Enerchi, I just saw the new pictures....WOW! I love that baby. The faceting is gorgous and I luuuurve the color! Yummy. I could stare at that baby all day. :love: :love: :love:

:bigsmile: Thank you so much Armywife!! You have a pretty dazzling OEC yourself, so that is a very nice compliment! I love taking pics of this diamond - tomorrow is supposed to be overcast with risk of rain... wondering how it looks in gray cloudy overcast conditions??? Hmmm... ollo clip moment coming up!!! Tee hee!!

Tell me about your setting - where did you decide to purchase from and why did you pick the setting you have? I'm really wanting to put it in the "RIGHT" setting!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

Your stone is lush! Here are my fav's from Amavida...no halo's though:

http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER7940W83JJ (I tried this one on and the knife edge melee on the band was so dainty. It was pretty blinging for a solitaire too.) The one below is more simple but lovely too. I thought the platinum for $1500 was a pretty good price.

platinum $1500 nice
http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER7389PT3JJ

Can't wait to see your stone set, the faceting is quite lovely.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1348973143|3276689 said:
armywife13|1348968409|3276667 said:

:bigsmile: Thank you so much Armywife!! You have a pretty dazzling OEC yourself, so that is a very nice compliment! I love taking pics of this diamond - tomorrow is supposed to be overcast with risk of rain... wondering how it looks in gray cloudy overcast conditions??? Hmmm... ollo clip moment coming up!!! Tee hee!!

Tell me about your setting - where did you decide to purchase from and why did you pick the setting you have? I'm really wanting to put it in the "RIGHT" setting!
Oh I can't wait to see how your diamond plays in the overcast weather!

I decided in the Julia setting from the lovely ladies at Jewels by Erica Grace. I loved the "scrolls" and diamond pave on the profile. My baby is actually off getting a spa treatment though, it is getting some engraving very similar to the Lynda setting from jbeg that Yssie linked earlier in the thread. Hopefully in a week or two we will see how it turns out.

My best advice for finding the right setting is...don't over complicate it, go with your gut. I over complicated it and it made the whole process so much more stressful. I was gathering pictures and quotes for every setting on the face of the earth (modern style, antique repro, halo, solitaire, ect). Then one day I was sitting there and realized that each setting was getting compared to one specific setting, the Julia setting. That made it pretty darn clear to me.

Is there a setting you are leaning towards?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi! You are just the cutest. I'm so thrilled for you; the OEC is gorgeous!! I vote halo for this one. You are used to all the bling a 3 stone provides, so I don't think you'd be happy with a solitaire. :naughty: A halo would be lovely! I love Farleysmom's ring.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Yay yay yay for you! That is a gorgeous diamond (good find Dreamer!)!!

I truly love all the options posted. Can't go wrong with any of those lovely settings.

If it were me... And believe me I really wish it was!!! ... I would do a chunky double bezel in 18k or 22k yellow gold ala Coati's dreamy ring with a yellow gold cup to pull that warmth over to full on gorgeous yellow. Now Coati's masterpiece is from Singlestone so clearly over budget but Sally from Hearts of Water could maybe do something similar:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/22087406/heart-of-water-ring-in-swiss-blue-topaz?ref=cat_gallery_20

I've never seen her work in person but many PS'ers love her.

Ok that's totally off topic and not at all helpful so back to the main message which is - GORGEOUS ROCK for a gorgeous lady! Congrats!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ariel144 - great choices! Yes, I have added both to my saved styles folder - THanks!!! :appl: You are a great researcher for settings - you always seem to find amazing selections when people ask, so thank you for helping me too :halo:

Rubies-R-Me!!! howdy!!! I can not make up my mind as to what I want! I have a month to fantasize about all sorts of settings ... a month today, I'll be playing in WONDERLAND!!! So excited!

Dreamer - I'm definitely drawn to more bling than less... but then I look at some of the LJN ones, and they have less bling but have more appeal... oy! :loopy: :twirl: I'm all over the place. I think seeing options in person will be the ticket - the 3D of real life will help to narrow down greatly.

Rosebloom - thank you for that idea! I love the HoW items that Sally produces... I hadn't thought of that! I was more focused on those that I could try on when in NYC, but I never say never anymore! And thank you for your sweet compliments :halo:

Laila hahahah! I'm somewhat of a rambler... not like it's obvious or anything... so as thoughts come, they are expressed. You'd think I'd develop a filter system by now :roll: The halo is a strong contender for sure! I love sparkle, that's for sure :lickout:

MayK, I wish you had big huge fingers like I do, then I'd snap up your french cut sapphires ASAP!! But... lucky for you, you are blessed with little tiny fingers. Ah, so jealous.... Glad you also went thru the design dilemma - it is not as easy as people think, because when it's for yourself AND you are a PSer, EVERY detail is important and magnified in importance!

Armywife I hear ya - KISS (Keep it simple stupid)!! Yes, go with my first reaction with what my heart/gut tells me, don't over think it. Good advice! I wish I could narrow down further but I feel like there are just SO MANY OPTIONS out there that I have to look at everything, then narrow down. I always tend to make decisions that way - see all potentials, then start eliminating. I'm also a pro / con or list decision maker too. You should see the papers I've got in a folder! :read:

Been trolling the net again....

adding a few more from LJN...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rosebloom I totally forgot about Sally at HoW! her Lotus settings are so unique and lovely :love: Enerchi you've seen soycoffee's Lotus, right? It's been in my favourites folder for ages - I bet your lower-coloured stone would look delicious in something like that! I don't know that I'd be comfortable shipping it to Thailand though, and with OECs being the wonky charmers they are I can see running into issues with having a setting made by proportions :sick:

ETA -
1.15 K OEC in 14k yg [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-of-my-oec-in-its-lotus-setting-made-by-sally.116142/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-of-my-oec-in-its-lotus-setting-made-by-sally.116142/[/URL]
file.jpg

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

I am not the best to ask for setting advice, but congrats on the lovely diamond! You seem very happy. :D
Maybe something from green lake jewelery works?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results