carat
color
clarity

Help… choosing between two amazing OMCs

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Would you be open to 8 prongs?
feeding off of prior suggestion of also having a different prong orientation
With 8 prongs you could have prongs at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock.
then your shoulders could attach to those prongs. Which might give it a less ‘peg head stock assembly’ ish look that the gap there gives.

I’m not sure 8 prongs would add anything for me but am open to it. I think we moved the 3 and 9 o clock prongs so that they weren’t covering the side stones. Can you explain what you mean by peg head stock assembly? Not sure I know what you mean.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure 8 prongs would add anything for me but am open to it. I think we moved the 3 and 9 o clock prongs so that they weren’t covering the side stones. Can you explain what you mean by peg head stock assembly? Not sure I know what you mean.
Peg head is where the head looks like it’s been plunked into the gap rather than being inherently part of the design. It’s called that because a lot of the cheaper settings have heads that you can swap in and out depending on the size of your stone. They attach to the shank by a peg that’s inserted into a hole in the shank.
They’re not bad in themselves but as a design element, they can look a bit unintegrated which isn’t the look you want if you’re working with a designer for something custom.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I absolutely missed it that you already had changed prong orientation for a reason. I’m sorry!
In looking at your latest CAD, the 6 prongs in their current orientation do leave the cushion stone corners unprotected enough that a klutz like me would be concerned. This is where the thought of 8 prongs came in.

@foxinsox explained it much better than I. Peg head is not ‘bad’, just not typically a look you see with a made to custom setting.

Less taper in the basket towards the donut might help in that aspect. The inspo pic you posted for the bezel set shoulders - the basket seems much less tapered than your CAD.

Last edited:

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Peg head is where the head looks like it’s been plunked into the gap rather than being inherently part of the design. It’s called that because a lot of the cheaper settings have heads that you can swap in and out depending on the size of your stone. They attach to the shank by a peg that’s inserted into a hole in the shank.
They’re not bad in themselves but as a design element, they can look a bit unintegrated which isn’t the look you want if you’re working with a designer for something custom.

This is very helpful, thank you!!

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely missed it that you already had changed prong orientation for a reason. I’m sorry!
In looking at your latest CAD, the 6 prongs in their current orientation do leave the cushion stone corners unprotected enough that a klutz like me would be concerned. This is where the thought of 8 prongs came in.

@foxinsox explained it much better than I. Peg head is not ‘bad’, just not typically a look you see with a made to custom setting.

Less taper in the basket towards the donut might help in that aspect. The inspo pic you posted for the bezel set shoulders - the basket seems much less tapered than your CAD.

Ahh yes totally understand now. Thank you so much!

lioness88

Rough_Rock
Same, I’m also hopefully getting a 4-5 carat OMC for my engagement and planning a similar vibe for mine (tho all yellow gold including prongs).

I read this thread and am loving what you chose. Can’t wait to see the finished ring!!!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Same, I’m also hopefully getting a 4-5 carat OMC for my engagement and planning a similar vibe for mine (tho all yellow gold including prongs).

I read this thread and am loving what you chose. Can’t wait to see the finished ring!!!

Can’t wait to see yours too @lioness88 !!! Just a heads up from my recent experience…I had my omc set in a gold collet setting and I will say that the gold prongs were actually reflecting into the stone. I ended up having them swapped out to white metal and the transition between white and gold is very subtle. It totally got rid of any reflection from the gold. I also had the entire interior of this setting fabricated in platinum to avoid any yellow reflection, but the prongs alone were enough to do it! It looks amazing now.

6297105D-2564-4089-B2D3-4B0041B79990.jpeg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see yours too @lioness88 !!! Just a heads up from my recent experience…I had my omc set in a gold collet setting and I will say that the gold prongs were actually reflecting into the stone. I ended up having them swapped out to white metal and the transition between white and gold is very subtle. It totally got rid of any reflection from the gold. I also had the entire interior of this setting fabricated in platinum to avoid any yellow reflection, but the prongs alone were enough to do it! It looks amazing now.

Looks beautiful! The color and what I can see of the crown are lovely.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

@twosanguinehearts you’re such a tease as we need to see this ring you have now! I hope you will make a thread! Did you end up buying the OMC that you had showed us before?

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for checking in on me!! The ring is in production. There was a bit of a mixup in communication and was made in all yellow gold first go around, so being reset in platinum basket/prongs currently.

Honestly I’m still second guessing the setting
There’s something about the prong orientation that I don’t love. I’m toying with the idea of 4 double claw prongs instead of 6. … but I change my mind constantly!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Can’t wait to see-the 6 prong is going to look so good!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing this ring! Going to be gorgeous. I think the 6 prongs look good.

lioness88

Rough_Rock
Thanks for checking in on me!! The ring is in production. There was a bit of a mixup in communication and was made in all yellow gold first go around, so being reset in platinum basket/prongs currently.

There’s something about the prong orientation that I don’t love. I’m toying with the idea of 4 double claw prongs instead of 6. … but I change my mind constantly!

Ok I loooove it with yellow prongs too LOL

I’m insane and love yellow gold prongs though….

wow gorgeous with the yellow gold 6 prongs!!!

I love it with the yellow gold prongs too…will you do a before and after when you get it set in plat prongs?

I ended up going with a K in similar size OMC, yellow gold prongs with 4 double claws but gah I love yours with the 6 now as well

There’s something about all yellow gold I love and thought with a K color there was a risk that white metal prongs would make the stone look yellower by contrast??

lioness88

Rough_Rock
This is how it looked in all 18k yg

FDD7C9AD-C068-43B7-AB41-89741E0635CE.jpeg

Is that what “collet” means? If so I’m getting a somewhat similar setting as well , I promise I didn’t copy you though

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Is that what “collet” means? If so I’m getting a somewhat similar setting as well , I promise I didn’t copy you though

No I believe a collet setting is different, I’m definitely not qualified to describe it with the appropriate terms but to me the collet setting is similar to a bezel set with prongs.

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Ok I loooove it with yellow prongs too LOL

I’m insane and love yellow gold prongs though….

wow gorgeous with the yellow gold 6 prongs!!!

I love it with the yellow gold prongs too…will you do a before and after when you get it set in plat prongs?

I ended up going with a K in similar size OMC, yellow gold prongs with 4 double claws but gah I love yours with the 6 now as well

There’s something about all yellow gold I love and thought with a K color there was a risk that white metal prongs would make the stone look yellower by contrast??

Your ring sounds gorgeous! I hope you post when you receive it, can’t wait to see it! I definitely love yellow gold too. I’m sure it will be beautiful.

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any feelings on whether 8 prongs would be better than 6? I want less of an elongated/rectangular look and more of a softer, oval look. I’m wondering if 8 would help achieve that.

lioness88

Rough_Rock
Your ring sounds gorgeous! I hope you post when you receive it, can’t wait to see it! I definitely love yellow gold too. I’m sure it will be beautiful.

Omg I will I hope you do too :)

lioness88

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any feelings on whether 8 prongs would be better than 6? I want less of an elongated/rectangular look and more of a softer, oval look. I’m wondering if 8 would help achieve that.

I like fewer prongs so I’d do 6 or 4 double claw. I love the pic you posted though (think it was 6 prongs?) with the setting that you’re changing to plat prongs

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
It’s my 10 year anniversary upgrade (which was actually almost a year ago now), so I won’t have to wait!

How’s it going with yours? Are you having it set?

@lindsaylove what did you decide on the setting-6 or 8 prongs?

lioness88

Rough_Rock
It’s my 10 year anniversary upgrade (which was actually almost a year ago now), so I won’t have to wait!

How’s it going with yours? Are you having it set?
Wow hope you see it soon. 6 prongs look amazing.

Having it set ready by mid to late June. hopefully my bf doesn’t take too long to propose

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Wow hope you see it soon. 6 prongs look amazing.

Having it set ready by mid to late June. hopefully my bf doesn’t take too long to propose

Very exciting!! Early congratulations!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results