shape
carat
color
clarity

Help… choosing between two amazing OMCs

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Ok you are my new BFF because I'm also a size 5 looking at a 5ct+ OMC!! I love that you chose the one on the right - the whiter/brighter/chunkier look is what I attract to as well. I also share your concern about it looking too massive on me, but I had another large OMC previously and it somehow does look more "appropriate" when set. lol

I'm also looking to do a similar setting - I'd be going with a thin gold band with platinum head/prongs. I want the option to play with bands and swap them out for different looks, so I'm going simple on the setting.

Please post more photos once you have them, either of just the stone or once set. CANNOT WAIT to see where you land with this!!

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Here's my previous setting from the 6.21 which I loved! The dimensions of this stone were 11.79x11.41 for reference.

twosanguinehearts 6.21 OMC

Thank you so much for sharing!! I remember your OMC and setting and saved the images for Inspiration! I love that we are ring twins! I’ll add a photo of the stone with her slightly larger cullet.

I’ve actually started toying with the idea of doing some tiny side stones on the band to give it a more antique feel (and maybe soften the look of the thin band to the large stone) but am really undecided still! I’m looking forward to seeing what you find as well. Good luck, these 5 carat + OMCs seem to be becoming harder to find!

Attachments

• 0E41DA5D-D7AB-4984-AE06-18770F107A73.jpeg
    0E41DA5D-D7AB-4984-AE06-18770F107A73.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 53

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing!! I remember your OMC and setting and saved the images for Inspiration! I love that we are ring twins! I’ll add a photo of the stone with her slightly larger cullet.

I’ve actually started toying with the idea of doing some tiny side stones on the band to give it a more antique feel (and maybe soften the look of the thin band to the large stone) but am really undecided still! I’m looking forward to seeing what you find as well. Good luck, these 5 carat + OMCs seem to be becoming harder to find!

wow wow wow wow. Also @twosanguinehearts Grace posted a 5 ct omc in J color. Idk what your budget it but I immediately thought of you.

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omg-it’s-my-omc-a-6-2-carat-dream.260146/page-5#post-4830381

I love this stone! I can’t wait to see it set! There are a few settings with diamonds on the band that I like from Victor Barbone, OWD, JbG and Ring Concierge. Posting for inspo!!

F0C3E95F-9E48-4606-B6FA-1CE07246F72F.jpeg
BB198C7F-D3DA-4808-A344-B7FE9C515CB3.jpeg
08E7691B-CFAA-47E3-B199-6809E7F726B0.jpeg 3A19897A-EF75-40D7-9760-CD1CEA8D7284.jpeg 3A7949C5-8203-4356-8BC0-B6504414D64A.jpeg 649F296C-4E3B-4E0B-A720-D11EA6B6EE74.jpeg D092C2BA-1837-433F-BE2F-5DD52998DFA4.jpeg 41972ED3-AAA0-4A80-8EBB-511AED90C22B.jpeg

Last edited:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
wow wow wow wow. Also @twosanguinehearts Grace posted a 5 ct omc in J color. Idk what your budget it but I immediately thought of you.

Ooo running to look now! I haven’t counted out the K though - it might not be perfect but it really was a show stopper in person. Still totally open though!!!

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
I love this stone! I can’t wait to see it set! There are a few settings with diamonds on the band that I like from Victor Barbone, OWD, JbG and Ring Concierge. Posting for inspo!!

F0C3E95F-9E48-4606-B6FA-1CE07246F72F.jpeg
BB198C7F-D3DA-4808-A344-B7FE9C515CB3.jpeg
08E7691B-CFAA-47E3-B199-6809E7F726B0.jpeg 3A19897A-EF75-40D7-9760-CD1CEA8D7284.jpeg 3A7949C5-8203-4356-8BC0-B6504414D64A.jpeg 649F296C-4E3B-4E0B-A720-D11EA6B6EE74.jpeg D092C2BA-1837-433F-BE2F-5DD52998DFA4.jpeg 41972ED3-AAA0-4A80-8EBB-511AED90C22B.jpeg

Ohhhhh I love all of these!! Totally what I’ve been envisioning! Thank you!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@lindsaylove I can't wait to see the finished ring!

Can I ask where you found this beauty?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

She looks perfect with her slightly larger culet. Just perfect. I love this mount from TSH's line up, it may be a little chunky for you, but for me, oh yeah. D092C2BA-1837-433F-BE2F-5DD52998DFA4.jpeg

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
She looks perfect with her slightly larger culet. Just perfect. I love this mount from TSH's line up, it may be a little chunky for you, but for me, oh yeah. D092C2BA-1837-433F-BE2F-5DD52998DFA4.jpeg

Would you go a little larger on the cullet, or do you think this is enough?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Looks beautiful to me in the picture, It would still be considered “slightly large” so just wondering if getting it to “large” grading would be better…

Go with what makes you visually happy. To my eye, my OEC culet facet looks small, but GIA grades it as 'Large.'

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Ok keeping culet at this size in picture above (50% larger than it was originally). Im excited! Will be doing some more design research next week and will go from there.

Thank you again everyone for all of your very thoughtful input, it has been an immense help to me!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I just received these cads and would LOVE any feedback! Thanks so much in advance.

Someone else more knowledgeable than me will chime in but 1.8mm shank for a stone that large might be too thin.

Last edited:

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Someone else more knowledgeable than me will chime in but 1.8mm shank for a stone that large might be too thin.

Thank you. I definitely want to make sure it’s not too thin for safety and balance.

Any thoughts on the prongs or the little OECs on the shank? I’m not sure I like the placement of the prongs directly over the side stones. And do two stones on each side seem like enough? We originally had three but I didn’t want them going to far down the side of the band.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! I just received these cads and would LOVE any feedback! Thanks so much in advance.

Is strongly encourage at least 2mm shank. The current shank too thin. For both long term integrity of the ring and comfort. I’d honestly go for 2.2-2.3mm for such a large stone at it’s thickest on the underside of the shank, as frankly I think it would look more balanced and spin less. Especially with a tapered shank, you’ll get a delicate look from the top and you’re going to have a large gap anyways.

I’d also reorient the prongs so they don’t overlap with the side stones, if you keep the side stones as is. If there was a cathedral you wouldn’t have the overlap. I like that prong orientation, but the design elements are at odds with eachother.

For example you have prongs in the same place with little side stones, but the prongs don’t overhang bc of the little “wings” and the stones don’t tuck under the basket like they do in your CADs (I think the basket is a little squat on this, but just illustrating side stones)

EFEB23A8-E218-4B8F-BB56-64A33EF3A904.png 803AD822-D306-4F1C-B52E-149FD8035BE9.jpeg

What was your inspiration for the CADs? It’s hard to give much more feedback without knowing what you are trying to achieve!

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Is strongly encourage at least 2mm shank. The current shank too thin. For both long term integrity of the ring and comfort. I’d honestly go for 2.2-2.3mm for such a large stone at it’s thickest on the underside of the shank, as frankly I think it would look more balanced and spin less. Especially with a tapered shank, you’ll get a delicate look from the top and you’re going to have a large gap anyways.

I’d also reorient the prongs so they don’t overlap with the side stones, if you keep the side stones as is. If there was a cathedral you wouldn’t have the overlap. I like that prong orientation, but the design elements are at odds with eachother.

What was your inspiration for the CADs? It’s hard to give much more feedback without knowing what you are trying to achieve!

Thank you! Yes, I agree.

I am working toward an antique inspired setting, with the inspiration photos above. I originally wanted a simple solitaire but then decided to go with some small detail on the band like these two baby OECs to give it a more vintage feel. I like it to sit very low on the finger and with a donut so as to not sit flush against my wedding band.

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock

For example you have prongs in the same place with little side stones, but the prongs don’t overhang bc of the little “wings” and the stones don’t tuck under the basket like they do in your CADs (I think the basket is a little squat on this, but just illustrating side stones)

EFEB23A8-E218-4B8F-BB56-64A33EF3A904.png 803AD822-D306-4F1C-B52E-149FD8035BE9.jpeg

Yes I see what you mean. I can’t remember why we didn’t do the little petal shoulders but I think I said I wanted the stones just on the shank and no shoulder. Do you think this presents a problem structurally or visually?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yes I see what you mean. I can’t remember why we didn’t do the little petal shoulders but I think I said I wanted the stones just on the shank and no shoulder. Do you think this presents a problem structurally or visually?

Structurally? No, not with your current design.

But I think with the design elements as they are, they aren’t totally working together (ie prong orientation)

Maybe it’ll be worth seeing a version of the CAD with the prongs in a different position.

But because of how large the stone is and how tapered the shape of the basket is, the side stones will always be obscured from the top view. I like the shape of the basket - I think the shoulders are the issue. I’m also not totally sure how the bezels are really fitting with a more true antique inspired ring if I’m being tooootally honest - it’s the side profile in particular that isn’t meshing to me

Hope you don’t mind me being so blunt!
2471D05B-D3A2-43C3-93AC-EFDD969839D2.jpeg

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Structurally? No, not with your current design.

But I think with the design elements as they are, they aren’t totally working together (ie prong orientation)

Maybe it’ll be worth seeing a version of the CAD with the prongs in a different position.

But because of how large the stone is and how tapered the shape of the basket is, the side stones will always be obscured from the top view. I like the shape of the basket - I think the shoulders are the issue. I’m also not totally sure how the bezels are really fitting with a more true antique inspired ring if I’m being tooootally honest - it’s the side profile in particular that isn’t meshing to me

Hope you don’t mind me being so blunt!
2471D05B-D3A2-43C3-93AC-EFDD969839D2.jpeg

I don’t mind at all, I really appreciate it!!! I agree and you put into words exactly what I was thinking.

I think the bezel idea came from this photo of an antique setting I saw at one point and sent along with the other Inspo photos

Attachments

• 74630B29-C31F-4B8E-B4C0-D124F11234DB.png
    74630B29-C31F-4B8E-B4C0-D124F11234DB.png
    345.7 KB · Views: 30

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don’t mind at all, I really appreciate it!!! I agree and you put into words exactly what I was thinking.

I think the bezel idea came from this photo of an antique setting I saw at one point and sent along with the other Inspo photos

I like this example MUCH better. It also has a little more elevation to it with a gap under the bezels, and will connect higher up on the basket (so the stones won't disappear from the top view). this style is typical of art deco style, hand-forged rings.

I was really struggling to find an example with round sides, but I think a profile more like this would mesh better with the design

1646851340266.png Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.49.30 PM.png

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
I like this example MUCH better. It also has a little more elevation to it with a gap under the bezels, and will connect higher up on the basket (so the stones won't disappear from the top view). this style is typical of art deco style, hand-forged rings.

I was really struggling to find an example with round sides, but I think a profile more like this would mesh better with the design

1646851340266.png Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.49.30 PM.png

Ok I brought all the feedback to her and this is what I received back.

3136AD63-BCC8-4AE3-BD31-DB46A4CE8705.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you be open to 8 prongs?
feeding off of prior suggestion of also having a different prong orientation
With 8 prongs you could have prongs at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock.
then your shoulders could attach to those prongs. Which might give it a less ‘peg head stock assembly’ ish look that the gap there gives.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results