shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart ring ideas...

Hello friends,

This post probably belongs in the RT sub, but hopefully the mods will allow it since the ring technically involves colored stones. :shifty: I know my CS peeps will understand the need for adding color!

I recently purchased a 2.03ct. heart shaped diamond from JA. It's an F, VS2 with an average diameter of 8.23mm. It was strongly suggested that I should set it as a solitaire, but this isn't an engagement ring... it's just for fun (from me to me, as it were). I was really hoping to halo it.

I've already used yellow and pink FCDs in other projects, so I really wanted to incorporate Argyle blues here. But an entire halo of blues looked a bit drab in my initial composite, as the color is rather subtle (and it's really costly). So I thought I might do something in candy colors and use all 3.

Here's what I have... everything is to-scale (but I've just colorized stock diamond photos). The FCDs will be 2mm (with the one at the cleft being 1.6mm). The yellows and pinks will be fancy intense and the blues are BL2.

hearthalo.JPG

What do we think?

1. Stick with the tri-color FCDs;
2. Choose just one color FCD;
3. Use a white halo instead;
4. Just do a solitaire;
5. Add other colored gems to the halo (see, mods?); or
6. Something else.

Appreciate the input!!

Best,
Autumn

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nono nooooo solitaire. Life is too short for solitaires.

Trio of FCDs!!!!!

The prongs are a tad pointy for me but I'm a fan of a more rounded bubbly look for halos around hearts!

If you want to go cheaper you can use sapphires instead. My sapphire melee just glows and it's more wallet friendly.

Kya

Shiny_Rock
So fun!! Can’t go wrong with any option and the stone sounds gorgeous!
I would also consider one color for the halo and then another cover for the pave band.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also not a fan of the single /pointy prong for the halo stones for this design.
Agree as well for a ‘bubblier’ all over shape - I’d probably lean towards less of a halo but towards cobblestone/bombe, even maybe including scattered white diamond melee.

Bubblier, it is! Yeah, I just drew in the prongs for reference, which ended up with a strange shape. lol I'm glad you all pointed it out though, because I will be sure to clarify when it's time to CAD. They will be standard rounded ones (with claws just on the center stone).

Thank you for the encouragement, all!!

Reactions: Kya
Oh, and here's my only concern about going with the tri-color FCDs... I can't use vivid pinks and yellows here, because they will be too saturated for the BL2 blues. I was told fancy intense will match them best. The issue is, I will not have the benefit of setting the pinks in RG and yellows in YG. The entire ring will be in platinum. So I just hope I don't pay all this extra $ for a muddy mess. They're only 2mm, after all. Along those same lines, @Rfisher, that's why I didn't want to scatter whites in the halo with the FCDs. I'm afraid they will "water it down" even further. :think:

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I like the tri-color idea, and the mock up is nice. Your concerns about possible muddiness by having everything done in platinum is valid, but I lack personal experience going down that route. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

An alternative idea : how about an ombre halo with blue sapphires? You might be able to use some of those blue diamonds in there too.

ombreidea2.jpg ombre idea.jpg

I like the tri-color idea, and the mock up is nice. Your concerns about possible muddiness by having everything done in platinum is valid, but I lack personal experience going down that route. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

An alternative idea : how about an ombre halo with blue sapphires? You might be able to use some of those blue diamonds in there too.

ombreidea2.jpg ombre idea.jpg

Ohhhhhh... that is clever! I'd have an all blue look with better saturation, but still get to incorporate the FCDs. I will give this some serious thought. My only concern is finding unheated sapphire melee (as I don't use treated gems, as a general rule). Many thanks for the great idea!!

Timor

Shiny_Rock
All the options would be beautiful! I think vintageinjune’s ombré idea is great. I myself would also try mocking up 2 colors alternating (e.g. pink and blue/blue and yellow), I think it would achieve a nice pastel look and it would be easier to coordinate between two colors than three (plus white it would be tri-color). But that’s just an idea, the current three color mock up is very lively and floral and is probably much better! I also agree with others that sapphire/spinel is another way to go. Anyway love that heart!

All the options would be beautiful! I think vintageinjune’s ombré idea is great. I myself would also try mocking up 2 colors alternating (e.g. pink and blue/blue and yellow), I think it would achieve a nice pastel look and it would be easier to coordinate between two colors than three (plus white it would be tri-color). But that’s just an idea, the current three color mock up is very lively and floral and is probably much better! I also agree with others that sapphire/spinel is another way to go. Anyway love that heart!

Thank you for the great ideas! I definitely want to use the blue... so maybe blue, pink, and white?

And here's the ombre blue per @vintageinjune, using what I would assume will be fully saturated medium-dark blue sapphires, a more medium cornflower shade, and then the blue diamonds. Thoughts? :) I just think it's going to be difficult to find matching stones that are untreated. But it may pay off...

HeartHaloBlue.JPG

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Here they are side-by-side... what do we think? Just keep in mind that Argyle blues are very subtle, so they may pop even less next to a white diamond. But it does look quite pretty!

HeartHaloRoundedProngs.JPG
HeartHaloWhite.JPG

Hard to say between these options. The original 3-colour look is more, well... colourful, the pink and blue more delicate. I get the feeling you are looking for colourful. Whichever, balancing the saturation will be important.

You have shown three prongs per halo stone. If you used four (two inside, two outside), the outside prongs would not break the outline so much. This would give a 'smoother' look. Of course, it could be that that you like the 'pointier' look. Just a thought.

P.S. I've just seen the all-blue version. I'm thinking that the halo overwhelms the stone.

P.S. I've just seen the all-blue version. I'm thinking that the halo overwhelms the stone.

Too bad I didn't think to use the blue diamonds when I set my sapphire! I think this ombre look might work better with a blue center stone. It really is a beautiful idea though.

Hard to say between these options. The original 3-colour look is more, well... colourful, the pink and blue more delicate. I get the feeling you are looking for colourful. Whichever, balancing the saturation will be important.

You have shown three prongs per halo stone. If you used four (two inside, two outside), the outside prongs would not break the outline so much. This would give a 'smoother' look. Of course, it could be that that you like the 'pointier' look. Just a thought.

Yes, I'm definitely going for colorful! My mother absolutely abhors this idea (with the FCDs). lol She says I'm ruining what should be a classic diamond look. Boo hiss to that, I say! My fear is that the colors will be too subdued. :lol-2:

I do love a pointy floral prong look! Thank you for your insight!!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Just because you asked…I would use one color halo to frame the center stone. A double halo if you want more color could work.

Just because you asked…I would use one color halo to frame the center stone. A double halo if you want more color could work.

An all vivid pink FCD halo is probably the best choice. But I already used them in another design and I really wanted to incorporate blues here. They just don't pop enough on their own, unfortunately. What to do, what to do...

Ombre purplish-pink FCDs. Too obvious or cutesy? I think I'm losing the plot... lol... too many choices for this Gemini to choose from. I'm going to bed to rest my brain.
topsy.gif
Thanks for everyone's help!!

HeartHaloPink.jpg

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Here they are side-by-side... what do we think? Just keep in mind that Argyle blues are very subtle, so they may pop even less next to a white diamond. But it does look quite pretty!

HeartHaloRoundedProngs.JPG HeartHaloWhite.JPG

Wow you are so good with mock ups! I think both looks good on screen but definitely agree the blue would pop more next to the yellows and the whole thing is like a cheerful spring bouquet!
The ombré ones also look really good! I have some concerns about alternating between sapphires and the FCDs though, since the sparkle is different. I would probably use one or the other. Considering you are looking to use the FCDs my vote is for the tri-color halo. Maybe you can post pics of the FCDs for us to get an idea of the saturation?
And again, whatever you choose will be great!

Wow you are so good with mock ups! I think both looks good on screen but definitely agree the blue would pop more next to the yellows and the whole thing is like a cheerful spring bouquet!
The ombré ones also look really good! I have some concerns about alternating between sapphires and the FCDs though, since the sparkle is different. I would probably use one or the other. Considering you are looking to use the FCDs my vote is for the tri-color halo. Maybe you can post pics of the FCDs for us to get an idea of the saturation?
And again, whatever you choose will be great!

Thank you, and I agree! I've ruled out the blue sapphire one. What do you think of the pink ombre FCD above?

P.S. I do all of my mock ups in Word, because I'm old school like that. :sun:

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, and I agree! I've ruled out the blue sapphire one. What do you think of the pink ombre FCD above?

P.S. I do all of my mock ups in Word, because I'm old school like that. :sun:

I love it actually:D When I was younger I rejected pink but the older (and wiser lol) I get the more I like it.
However I tried imagining wearing the ring and I think the tri-color one makes me smile, so that’s still the one I’d choose. And it’s your first idea so that counts for something!

I love it actually:D When I was younger I rejected pink but the older (and wiser lol) I get the more I like it.
However I tried imagining wearing the ring and I think the tri-color one makes me smile, so that’s still the one I’d choose. And it’s your first idea so that counts for something!

Too funny, because I never cared for pink either! Perhaps that's because I was a tomboy growing up. But I've warmed to it over the years as well!!

I sort of still like the tri-color best too. The benefit of the pink ombre though is that I could use RG for the halo to enhance the stones. Maybe the answer will come to me in a dream. :bigsmile: Thank you for your help!

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Too funny, because I never cared for pink either! Perhaps that's because I was a tomboy growing up. But I've warmed to it over the years as well!!

I sort of still like the tri-color best too. The benefit of the pink ombre though is that I could use RG for the halo to enhance the stones. Maybe the answer will come to me in a dream. :bigsmile: Thank you for your help!

Totally understand, I never cared for jewels and glitter before and here we are!
It is a sweet dilemma you have! Happy to chime in on such a fun project and will eagerly follow how it goes.

The tricolour is gorgeous and so unique. Jewelry should reflect your personality and should stand out, IMO. I would DEFINITELY do that, provided that the blues will hold their saturation. You may need to get your setter to put them together to see.

Also, it is possible to get the baskets for the pink stones in RG and the yellow stones in YG. It’ll just be expensive probably. But it is possible. My jeweler has something like that in his store for an emerald ring (with white and yellow diamonds, and the yellows are in yellow baskets with teeny tiny yellow prongs). It doesn’t look weird, it actually makes it look more “wildflower-y”. You could even do the baskets for the blue in black rhodium…

Otherwise, I’m actually a fan of the ombré blue halo. I don’t care for the pink halo or just doing two colours. My opinion, FWIW.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results