shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone else noticed this with 5 stone eternity?

PJ67

Rough_Rock
Hi. Got my 1.5 carat 5 stone eternity ring a few weeks ago and really happy with it but there’s one thing I’ve noticed and wondered if it’s just the light or an issue with the setting. I have GIA certificates so know all the stones are exactly the same size but if I look at the ring with my side to the window or another light source, the two end ones closest to the light look smaller. Has anyone else noticed this?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. Got my 1.5 carat 5 stone eternity ring a few weeks ago and really happy with it but there’s one thing I’ve noticed and wondered if it’s just the light or an issue with the setting. I have GIA certificates so know all the stones are exactly the same size but if I look at the ring with my side to the window or another light source, the two end ones closest to the light look smaller. Has anyone else noticed this?
Post the GIA grading report numbers and all the different angles/measurements, then run each stone through the HCA tool under the Tools tab at the top of the forum.

If the stones are not cut well they will be dark round the edge, which will make them look smaller.

PJ67

Rough_Rock
image.jpg Thanks Shiney. Really have no idea what I’m looking at. They’re all quite similar I think, have attached one of the stone’s report.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Quite similar' is not the same as 'exactly similar' ;-) and even small differences can alter a diamond's look quite noticeably!

The HCA score is 5 for this stone, 'Good - only if price is your main criterion', whereas a score under 2 indicates a stone's angles work well together:
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca?

In this stone's instance, 36.5degree crown and 41degree pavilion do not match well - it is a 'steep/deep' stone and will not perform as well as it could, which is why such stones look smaller/darker/less sparkly in some lighting environments.

(I am trying to find the video that demonstrates this, which was posted by Garry Holloway a few weeks ago!)

I don't think anyone on here would want you to be unhappy with your ring when you have no doubt spent quite a lot of money on it and have already said you are happy with it, though, so to a certain extent seeking detailed answers for the darkness you are seeing is on a hiding to nothing unless you are able to swap/exchange/upgrade the stones.

If the time has passed for Refunds/Returns/Exchanges then I think you have some options to consider:

- embrace the way they look and take it as the way your ring looks / its 'character';
- consider swapping some/all of the stones for ones that perform better (i.e. HCA score <2) and then sell the current stones - perhaps the jeweler would be open to swapping just a couple of stones?;
- consider repurchasing the whole ring but with 'Ideal' stones or GIA XXX stones that fall within the Pricescope recommended parameters and have HCA scores <2, and then sell the current ring.

You have emotions invested in this current ring, of course, so you should do what you feel is right.

Ultimately the short and simple answer to your question is 'because they are not cut as well as they could be', but the more detailed answer (as touched on above) can lead you along a whole new path, as it has for many of us on here! :)

PJ67

Rough_Rock
Many thanks for looking at the report. I should have joined this forum before getting my ring! I have maybe made the mistake of assuming that excellent cut means the angles, depth etc are very good but is this not the case?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Many thanks for looking at the report. I should have joined this forum before getting my ring! I have maybe made the mistake of assuming that excellent cut means the angles, depth etc are very good but is this not the case?

Don't feel bad - it's an assumption a lot of people make, that you cannot do better than GIA EX EX EX. Unfortunately light physics is much more complicated than that.

As a starting point, for round brilliants, we recommend numbers in the range of:

Table: 54-58%

Depth: 60-62.3% (preferably less than 62)

Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pavillion angle). 34 crown pairs better with 41 pav and 35 crown pairs better with 40.6.

Pavillion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34).

But it's complicated even beyond that, as once you have a diamond that falls into that range we further recommend Idealscope and ASET images. Even within that range individual diamonds can behave very differently depending on whether they preference fire or brilliance etc.

This, as you can tell, is a rabbit hole you can fall a long way down - personally I think @OoohShiny has given you excellent advice and you should really reflect on everything in that entry for how to move forward. Remember that you have said you're very happy with your ring and that doesn't need to change! Think carefully.

We would love actual ring pictures!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA excellent is a wide range from some stunners to some that will suffer from a lot of light performance issues. We approach GIA Excellent as the start of diamond screening to be followed by reviewing the angles and, for larger stones, ASET/IS images.

PJ67

Rough_Rock
D4A74EDA-2B06-491D-92A6-B6A6EDCA865A.jpeg 831EC60F-C6FD-41D3-8A68-53E8670C87C7.jpeg 3A343DFC-ED63-443E-AFB7-9224F6AD302A.jpeg I’ve obviously got a lot to learn! I just hope that the price I paid was fair for the ring I’ve got. Like I said I am happy with it, except when there’s strong light coming from one side the stones on that side look smaller. If I turn it round it’s the same, the end two stones closest to the light source.
These are a few pics in good light

Attachments

• 5CC2B384-AE75-4D40-A947-4FF22F3235AF.jpeg
    5CC2B384-AE75-4D40-A947-4FF22F3235AF.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 20

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
D4A74EDA-2B06-491D-92A6-B6A6EDCA865A.jpeg 831EC60F-C6FD-41D3-8A68-53E8670C87C7.jpeg 3A343DFC-ED63-443E-AFB7-9224F6AD302A.jpeg I’ve obviously got a lot to learn! I just hope that the price I paid was fair for the ring I’ve got. Like I said I am happy with it, except when there’s strong light coming from one side the stones on that side look smaller. If I turn it round it’s the same, the end two stones closest to the light source.
These are a few pics in good light
That sounds Normal. The diamonds in more direct/intense light will look smaller.
Diamonds look bigger in diffused lighting.
Then you are looking at them at an angle which also can make them look smaller.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The one on the left in the picture is at a much greater angle than the other diamonds causing it to look small.
B6A6EDCA865A.jpeg

Last edited:

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock

I have a 5 stone ring. I definitely notice that when I wear the ring, the stones at the edge, especially the one that sits nearest to my pinky always looks the smallest and the darkest. When I move the band around, whatever stone is most face up looks the largest and brightest.

It bothers me enough that if I thought buying a new ideal cut band would fix the problem, I would do that. But I think it's an optical illusion.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
That's really a beautiful ring and the fact it happens regardless of which way you have the band turned is very reassuring. If you are happy with the consistency of light performance across all the stones in general then I would simply enjoy your beautiful ring! :kiss2:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a 5 stone ring. I definitely notice that when I wear the ring, the stones at the edge, especially the one that sits nearest to my pinky always looks the smallest and the darkest. When I move the band around, whatever stone is most face up looks the largest and brightest.

It bothers me enough that if I thought buying a new ideal cut band would fix the problem, I would do that. But I think it's an optical illusion.
The only fix is the rings that put the diamonds in a strait line in the same plane.
ie raising the diamonds at the side to the same height as the center.
Using a tiered setting(stair steps with all the diamonds facing upwards) would fix it from the top but make it worse from the side.
Neither one totally eliminates it but can make it eye right.

PJ67

Rough_Rock
B0755939-BB58-488D-8A65-5E6D4BA2FAA7.jpeg Many thanks for the replies, they all make sense and I think I’m reassured that’s there’s nothing majorly wrong. I (now) know it’s not a super super excellent cut but think I paid a reasonable price (I’m in the UK and got from an online jeweller with good reviews) so cheaper than high street. I’ve learnt a lot more now researching diamond dimensions since I posted this, so maybe next time...... ;)2 I’m wearing it as a wedding ring, just need to decide if it needs a plain (or smaller diamond) band to go with it, mother in law thinks it looks like an engagement ring! It’s much much nicer than my old ring, I wouldn’t dare post pics of it here!

I’ve attached a side view, think it looks like the angles of the setting are ok.
Thanks again.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The good folks on this board sometimes get a bit carried away with cut quality. :D

Your ring is gorgeous, I hope you enjoy wearing it for years to come! :love::love:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
B0755939-BB58-488D-8A65-5E6D4BA2FAA7.jpeg Many thanks for the replies, they all make sense and I think I’m reassured that’s there’s nothing majorly wrong. I (now) know it’s not a super super excellent cut but think I paid a reasonable price (I’m in the UK and got from an online jeweller with good reviews) so cheaper than high street. I’ve learnt a lot more now researching diamond dimensions since I posted this, so maybe next time...... ;)2 I’m wearing it as a wedding ring, just need to decide if it needs a plain (or smaller diamond) band to go with it, mother in law thinks it looks like an engagement ring! It’s much much nicer than my old ring, I wouldn’t dare post pics of it here!

I’ve attached a side view, think it looks like the angles of the setting are ok.
Thanks again.

Honestly I think it's gorgeous too. I'm also from the UK and know how difficult it is to get diamonds of good quality; I think you did a great job with the knowledge you had and you should be delighted with that ring.

:kiss2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care what the HCA is. That is a gorgeous ring! Congrats!:appl:
Despite my earlier posts, I would agree with this - it still looks like it performs well and I can see why it is loved :))

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you might be experiencing perspective, an unavoidable fact of our visual life.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
I have a band with 3 x .10 stones. They are all WF ACA and I have the exact same problem. When I first noticed this it was while looking in a mirror. I switched the band around and observed it in the same exact mirror and lighting and it had the same effect in the same manner. It looked as though I didn’t even switch the bad around. I looked at my invoice and confirmed that they are in fact all the same size mm wise. It is the lighting. The diamonds facing the light source appear larger.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My main problem is that my diamonds keep shrinking....8)

Though with my current setting that has not yet happened and that is some sort of record for me.:lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results