shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand Crafting my Victor Canera ring from Scratch

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, this is my followup to my ring posted here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beyond-happy-my-victor-canera-french-cut-re-mount.155242/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beyond-happy-my-victor-canera-french-cut-re-mount.155242/[/URL]

I was really inspired by a post made earlier on this board by a New Zealander who showed how their ring was hand fabricated from scratch. I was researching for a jeweler to hand make a re-mount for my 2ct round. I started speaking to my jeweler; Victor Canera @ www.victorcanera.com after I saw a couple of his hand made pieces were posted here. His passion for hand made jewelry impressed me the most. I had him promise to take pictures of the making of my ring to get my order.

So without further ado...

20.jpg

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Oh good!!! How cool that you and the jeweler documented this - I can't wait to see pix of your gorgeous ring in various stages of "construction"!

<hitting refresh - refresh - refresh... >

orchidlala

Rough_Rock
oh that's soooo cool!!! I love seeing these, I think the final product is so well made. I wish more vendors made hand made products

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
Pt.9
I'm taking a break for now and will continue later.

30.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi A- Your ring is absolutely stunning and the workmanship looks to be stellar!

THis is the second ring that I've seen on this site made by Victor, and I'm loving the finer details that he attends to. Just based on the images seen here posted by you and another gal Katedrac of her exquisite halo ring. I am very curious to learn more of him and his work... hmmm :Up_to_something: Thank you for your pictures !

Camus

Rough_Rock
Wow, I'm impressed by this Victor Canera. I wish I had not lost the password to my old username, because I had saved some images of similar hand crafted work by another similar artist from Dallas, Texas. I forget his or her name now but wish I had it! does anyone remember??? I think it might have been Gyspy or someone else that first posted about him/her or maybe Gypsy just commented in the Texas thread.

Anyway, back to Victor Canera. amazing! I want to give him a call right now! Is he pricey? what's his customer service like? Reminds me a lot of work done by LM, but hopefully Victor is not as much of a diva ;-)

Camus

Rough_Rock
D&T|1295475173|2826996 said:

THis is the second ring that I've seen on this site made by Victor, and I'm loving the finer details that he attends to. Just based on the images seen here posted by you and another gal Katedrac of her exquisite halo ring. I am very curious to learn more of him and his work... hmmm :Up_to_something: Thank you for your pictures !

Just searched for the ring you're talking about. I think I remember it but all I couldn't find it. do you know where it was posted? I'm really curious now and am planning on giving Victor Canera a call today. Please let me know if you find the other post you're talking about

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Camus|1295475664|2827006 said:
D&T|1295475173|2826996 said:

Just searched for the ring you're talking about. I think I remember it but all I couldn't find it. do you know where it was posted? I'm really curious now and am planning on giving Victor Canera a call today. Please let me know if you find the other post you're talking about

Here you go Camus-

It sure is a beauty!!! the workmanship is just stunning!

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...y-upgrade-3ct-round-with-cushion-halo.149734/

Camus

Rough_Rock
D&T|1295475800|2827007 said:
Here you go Camus-

It sure is a beauty!!! the workmanship is just stunning!

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...y-upgrade-3ct-round-with-cushion-halo.149734/

hahaha, you're amazing! I love how I couldn't find it and it took you one second to get it :) I've been looking for a designer here on the west coast to make a handmade setting. But I've been disappointed to find that hardly anyone still works this way. I think I'm going to call VC today, do you think I should bother mentioning that I found him via PS? wouldn't hurt, right?

Do you know of any other designers who do work similar to LM's, handmade and such, but are located on the west coast??

Angietaren - what lead you to this specific designer and pick him? did you find any other designers who create handmade settings? link link link plz.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
This is SO cool!! How awesome to have this documentation of your beautiful ring being born! And very cool of Victor Canera to do this for you. I would have loved to have this for my ring, but can you imagine asking LM? :lol:

Camus

Rough_Rock
Love Street|1295476388|2827018 said:
but can you imagine asking LM? :lol:
oh gawd, can you imagine? I think he would climb through the telephone and choke me. But honestly, I have a feeling that whoever this designer is he's going to give LM a run for his money in a few years. I really need to find out more about him. right now. PS researchers lets get to work! who is this man? where was he schooled/trained? what does he like to eat while working on these rings? does he like to be called an artist or an artyst does he hate princess cuts as much LM does? does he have a cute lil accent?

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone. I actually found him through like 2 postings that I saw here. I decided to just shoot off an email to start talking with him and eventually had phone conversations for like half an hour each. Speaking to him, I think he's young maybe 28 or something I don't know. We had a back and forth for about 3 weeks about the design of the ring and in my experience he was nothing but patient, gracious and flexible with me. I was originally planning on having a 3 or 5 stone ring made for my center but I started simplifying and simplifying over time and we decided just to do a channel set cathedral ring with a 4 prong basket. Originally I was going to have graduated baguettes set on the ring but when I mentioned french cuts that I saw here he mentioned that he's done work in the past with them and could source the stones for me. I've been researching on the internet for a while and found, which Victor confirmed, that "hand made" doesn't really mean casting free hand made from a lot of people after pressing them on the issue. Victor assured me that he doesn't cast any part of the ring and that he defines "hand made" in its strictest meaning and also assured me that the quality would be even better than I want it to be. I got the opinion that he was fanatic about quality; just the type of jeweler I was looking for. I had him take the pictures to confirm.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Wow he sounds great to work with. I love that he has given you commentary and explanation for every image as well.

I see that he's in Los Angeles so he might be a good resource to add to the list for west coast PSers who want to stay local. I hope you don't mind my pasting a blurb I found on the internet in your thread - I'm sure lots of people will be interested (now and in the future) to learn more about your designer!

Victor CANERA, a native of East Europe, came of age in the world of easygoing, sun-drenched Southern California. It’s no wonder that his handmade collection of platinum and diamond jewelry romances themes of both old-world and contemporary.

A third-generation jeweler and diamantaire, Victor grew up immersed in diamonds, platinum and gold. “I’ve been involved in jewelry, I can say, since the age of 12. I remember the summers I spent helping my family in their diamond and jewelry businesses. At the age of 34, when I tell people I have 22 years of experience, we both have a laugh.” After college Victor managed his family’s growing jewel house, involved in every facet of the business from design, manufacturing to sales. After graduating from the Gemological Institute of America in ‘96 Victor following the footsteps of his father and became a diamantaire specializing in important diamonds.

In his own words; “Diamonds are one of a kind, each has its own characteristics, almost a personality. It was a sad sight for me to see the diamonds that I sold be put in second class, mountings of questionable quality. The idea came to me in ’99 to form a company that would create pieces worthy of these gems. A one of a kind, hand made design, created for and only for that unique diamond. I created Canera in 2000 to accomplish that goal.” What inspires Victor are the jewels created in the 1920s 30s, jewels that are called vintage or estate jewelry today. “It amazes me how craftsmen of of 80 years ago and more, created such stunning jewels without the aid of the technology that people today use. In the modern world, their art is basically a lost one. Today, we mainly have mass produced jewelry, kind of a cookie cutter mentality. Canera is the complete antithesis of this mentality. We design our jewelry based around a diamond. We come up with a design that would best accentuate this gem. We fabricate our jewelry the same way the craftsmen of a hundred years ago did in Europe. By hand. We don’t use the help of wax or casting to make fabrication easier for us but degrade the quality of the final product. Each piece is made up of dozens of parts, like wires and plates of platinum or gold that are assembled to create the final jewel. Ours is a puristic and a bit idealistic approach to the fabrication of jewelry. At the end of the day though our customers have a jewel that’s one of a kind, and made by hand, just for them.”

The result of this philosophy is a stunning collection of handmade jewelry fashioned from only the finest hand selected diamonds in platinum and gold. Each piece of Canera jewelry is a one-of-a-kind, born from a stone and the vision of a designer.

Visit this designer’s web site:
http://www.canera.com/

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
Pt.13
P.S. Since I've contacted him originally he's moving his online presence to victorcanera.com. He shot me an email last week, with the news.

45.jpg

Camus

Rough_Rock
oh wow, sounds nice and not like a diva... just yet! that's great that he's so young and dedicated to the craft. I love hearing about artists like this.

After looking and looking for the perfect designer out here on the west coast, I got SOO excited to come across this post. I have not posted on PS for over a year (although I browse every few weeks) I had to create a whole new username because I forgot my password and the email listed is my college on so I can't log in, but Ella is working it out for me. ANYWAY, I feel like I was destined to start browsing here again last night because if I hadn't I would not have seen this post. Angietaren, thank you so much for making this post. I don't think I would have been able to find this designer on my own. It has made my day!

Are you happy with the quality and durability of your ring? customer service and everything else?

BTW, the rest of you ROCK for digging up that info about him, lets see what else we can come up with. there's gotta be more on the net. I feel like we're going to hear a lot about this guy in the coming years, so lets make sure to document his work. PS has once again sucked me back in!!

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi everybody. I'm Victor.
I was tipped off by a caller and an email today about this thread. Kind of surprised.
Angie! Now I realize what you wanted the pictures for, that was the first time I've ever been asked for something like that. Anyway, I'm really glad to hear that you love the ring. It was great working with you.
If you guys have any questions about me or something I'd be glad to answer your questions.

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
Lol, hope you don't mind Victor... I've been so happy with the ring I wanted to share with others...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Glad to have you Victor! Welcome to PS. Your workmanship looks amazing and well crafted. We are looking forward to see you around these parts and more gorgeous pieces from you :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results