shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand Crafting my Victor Canera ring from Scratch

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Wow - this is really neat and brings me to a whole new level of appreciation to the art. I mean everything looks big in these photos but they are really super duper tiny!

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Good to see someone in the trade documenting the amount of work that goes into a setting that isn't just cast from shot-up wax models.
Really, there are very few manufacturers in the internet mass-market realm who have the abilty to make something by fabrication..the way things have been done for centuries. People with 10 months experience are putting together websites promising to compete with the best of the best in price, and in the U.S., there are thousands of individuals who claim to be stone setters who have spent a mere weekend at a well-known academy to learn the basics.
When your project is finished, please post the name of the person who is dedicating their life to a diminishing artform.

Camus

Rough_Rock
TheDoctor|1295486645|2827191 said:
Good to see someone in the trade documenting the amount of work that goes into a setting that isn't just cast from shot-up wax models.
Really, there are very few manufacturers in the internet mass-market realm who have the abilty to make something by fabrication..the way things have been done for centuries. People with 10 months experience are putting together websites promising to compete with the best of the best in price, and in the U.S., there are thousands of individuals who claim to be stone setters who have spent a mere weekend at a well-known academy to learn the basics.
When your project is finished, please post the name of the person who is dedicating their life to a diminishing artform.

This.

I agree 100%

btw, the OP did mention his name. It's Victor Canera and most of us began to stalk him online right after this posting. This is his website: http://www.victorcanera.com/ Good job PS sleuth's!

He had not really been on PS before, but if you go to page 1 you'll see that he was informed of this posting and commented on this very thread. lol

I'm looking forward to seeing more work by this artist.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please continue with these pics Angie - I love these sorts of posts, watching the transformation is absolutely fascinating! As Charmy said earlier it really does bring a whole new appreciate for the art and insight that goes into creating a piece ::)

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Fantastic! Thank you for posting these - and Victor, for allowing the posts. This is so important for us to see. Your skill is evident both on the bench and behind the camera! What a treat :appl:

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
Btw. I had gotten a pic much earlier in the process of the layout of french cuts. Here's that pic:

54.jpg

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
This is a wonderful thing to see. Thanks for posting your beautiful work.

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
Finished product:

55.jpg

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
Last shot.
Glamor shot I got from Victor before shipping:

56.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a transformation.. :sun:

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
So cool!!! Thank you for sharing! I love your ring!

How long did the process take? And how long did it take Victor to source the French cut sides, since they're not always easy to find?

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Fantastic! The ring is beautiful - congratulations and thank you for sharing the process!

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
Love Street|1295719956|2829734 said:

How long did the process take? And how long did it take Victor to source the French cut sides, since they're not always easy to find?

Thanks very much.
It was over a month. I think it was about 5 weeks. Victor told me that he was going to have french cuts made for my ring so I don't really know how long it took him to do that...

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Angietaren|1295726280|2829867 said:
It was over a month. I think it was about 5 weeks. Victor told me that he was going to have french cuts made for my ring so I don't really know how long it took him to do that...

Thanks Angie - and wow, that is a very reasonable timeframe. I'm so glad you shared all of this info with us. He is definitely going to be on my radar for future projects - especially since he's local to me!

Enjoy your stunning ring!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angietaren, I noticed in the photo you had six stones set next to your diamond but in the finished piece there are only
five on each side. Why did you go with five instead of six, if you don't mind my asking?

Angietaren

Rough_Rock
Thanks LoveStreet
Luv2Sparkle, I don't know. The stone wasn't mine in the layout picture. Victor had sent me a pic with a CZ with the same measurements as my stone to show me what basically it would look like. I hadn't given him my stone yet. I don't think we ever talked about how many stones, but length, ie. I want it to go from 4 o'clock to 7. Never put the two together but I'm not worried about the last stone since the stones go well into the sides of my finger.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Love Street|1295719956|2829734 said:

@Love Street
We manufactured Angie's french cuts ourselves. Therefore, they're not necessarily hard to find, since they're being polished into that type of faceting from other square shapes, it's just a matter of some weight loss from the original stones especially if they need to be tapered down like trapezoids.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice. Thanks for the step by step on the process.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Victor & Angie for all the info!

It is truly a stunning ring, and I LOVE that you both let us all in on the process!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angie and Peter - thank you so much for sharing this with us. How wonderful to get a glimpse of the beginnings of a beautiful piece of jewelry!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ADORE threads like this and have SO MISSED THEM VERY MUCH from PS, I am THRILLED you posted this. Your ring is stunning and the process shots are fabulous and brilliant.

Thanks so much for sharing this. It's just watching art unfold. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

katedrac

Rough_Rock
Late comer to this thread... Thank you for posting this Angietaren, really interesting stuff. I own one of Victor's rings and seeing this gives me so much of an appreciation for his work.
Congratulations on your ring, it's really spectacular.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I"m resurrecting this b/c HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?!?!?!?

Angie, your ring is amazing.

It is SO COOL to see the process from start to finish and get a glimpse into the art and craft of handmade!!!

:appl: :love: :appl: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results