shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo / prong issue ?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have Jewellers Mutual, they will cover a loose diamond. I'm not sure about other insurers. Also, I have zero, less than zero, worry about Mytal Hannah swapping a diamond. Her work is stunning and you will love it. The finish on her settings a smooth as can be. Feel free to post CADs for our help.

RE: local jeweler. This is a very intricate and difficult setting to do well. Unfortunately, very few folks can admit their limitation. Your bleeding was likely due to poor finish on the prongs.

While you are working with Mytal, can I suggest that you consider a few design changes...if you wish to wear a wedding band with this ring. The diamonds on the sides and underneath are going to eat any ring you put with this. So, you may want to consider removing the pave from the sides of the shank.

The other element is the basket/struts under the halo. It sticks out and will make a wedding band tip away from the ring at the top. So, you would need a curved band only. If you want the flexibility to get a straight band, you may want these to be arc'd inward.

upload_2019-1-27_18-13-23.png

More like these, but the diamonds on the struts will still make a wedding band a problem.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-27_18-12-40.png
    upload_2019-1-27_18-12-40.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 15

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
If you have Jewellers Mutual, they will cover a loose diamond. I'm not sure about other insurers. Also, I have zero, less than zero, worry about Mytal Hannah swapping a diamond. Her work is stunning and you will love it. The finish on her settings a smooth as can be. Feel free to post CADs for our help.

RE: local jeweler. This is a very intricate and difficult setting to do well. Unfortunately, very few folks can admit their limitation. Your bleeding was likely due to poor finish on the prongs.

While you are working with Mytal, can I suggest that you consider a few design changes...if you wish to wear a wedding band with this ring. The diamonds on the sides and underneath are going to eat any ring you put with this. So, you may want to consider removing the pave from the sides of the shank.

The other element is the basket/struts under the halo. It sticks out and will make a wedding band tip away from the ring at the top. So, you would need a curved band only. If you want the flexibility to get a straight band, you may want these to be arc'd inward.

More like these, but the diamonds on the struts will still make a wedding band a problem.

Oh wow and it’s a Maytal! Just do that one it’s perfection! If the wedding band sits low and flush do you think the diamonds on the struts would still be a problem? Seems she may be able to get a band to sit below it.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium

great feedback thank you rocky!

originally i was going to go with a right hand eternity band like this one:

but now my fiance and i are thinking we might want to do two rings since we are doing two ceremonies because we are blending two cultures - so one ring would be a plain pave band to wear with the engagement ring and another eternity right hand band - i will definitely speak to maytal about this ! thank you!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
great feedback thank you rocky!

originally i was going to go with a right hand eternity band like this one:

but now my fiance and i are thinking we might want to do two rings since we are doing two ceremonies because we are blending two cultures - so one ring would be a plain pave band to wear with the engagement ring and another eternity right hand band - i will definitely speak to maytal about this ! thank you!
Do speak with Maytal Hannah about the wedding band. This is a screen shot from the video of her halo. The one area I'd discuss changes would be here. These struts could stay pave if they were further "sucked in". The pave on the shank will still be a problem for some bands, but if she knows you want to wear a band with this, she can adjust things to help that along.

upload_2019-1-27_19-24-3.png

These struts are more sucked in, but they still arc a bit too low. But, than can be fixed by raising the halo a bit.
upload_2019-1-27_19-9-27.png

But, to stack pave, you often will need a sacrificial spacer band. Like this.

upload_2019-1-27_19-6-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-27_19-5-16.png
    upload_2019-1-27_19-5-16.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 24

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
good news everyone!!

my jeweler is having it shipped out to Maytal on Wednesday and will cover the cost! she has been a dream to work with and it's been less than 24 hours! !

the bad news is that i need to spend 4 weeks without my ring and have to push back a photo shoot :( but i know it will be worth it!!! thank you everyone for your help and support and the maytal suggestion @kal2021

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
good news everyone!!

my jeweler is having it shipped out to Maytal on Wednesday and will cover the cost! she has been a dream to work with and it's been less than 24 hours! !

the bad news is that i need to spend 4 weeks without my ring and have to push back a photo shoot :( but i know it will be worth it!!! thank you everyone for your help and support and the maytal suggestion @kal2021

This is excellent news! You’re right it will be well worth it. So excited to see what she creates for you and it’s good your jeweler is covering the cost. Share CADs when you get them from MH!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m already in contact with maytal Hannah ! She is fantastic and I will likely go with her. This may sound silly but is there any fear any more of stone swapping ? My dad is a little
Old school and mentioned this to me lol. I do know all of my stones birth marks so I’m not too concerned but want to ask nonetheless!

I read as far as this post and haven't read the rest, but Maytal is TOTALLY trustworthy!!! Oh my, the vendors we recommend for settings here such as Victor Canera, Maytal, Caysie van Bebber, David Klass, etc. have long track records and I have sent stones and had work done by several of them. Maytal made my older daughter's diamond wedding band. I think she has worked for Tiffany and Michael Beaudry. She has a fine background.

I was going to recommend Maytal and Victor to you. Their workmanship is a step above the cast ring you had made and you'd never have that gap problem. It's a sad fact that many fine jewelers in the US do NOT have top notch design or bench work. Thankfully we have access here to some of the best! I look forward to seeing your new ring!

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
maytal will receive the diamond tomorrow! and we spent 30 min on the phone today chatting all things design :) will keep y'all posted on design pics. i can't wait - i feel so good about this! she is a dream!

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
well i've done something a little crazy for the love of diamonds - and to get my ring PERFECT.

last night i booked a last minute trip to LA to meet maytal! i am writing this from 10k in the air an will meet with her tomorrow.

the look i am really going for is BLING - but not too bulky! questions i am going to ask:
- melee size
- halo size /shank size
- how to make it not look too chunky or antique-y
- prongs? how noticeable?

anything else i should ask? or does anyone have any questions for her? thank you everyone!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
well i've done something a little crazy for the love of diamonds - and to get my ring PERFECT.

last night i booked a last minute trip to LA to meet maytal! i am writing this from 10k in the air an will meet with her tomorrow.

the look i am really going for is BLING - but not too bulky! questions i am going to ask:
- melee size
- halo size /shank size

anything else i should ask? or does anyone have any questions for her? thank you everyone!

Omg you are awesome! Can’t wait to hear how your visit goes. I would ask about wearing a wedding band with it - making sure they won’t rub and cause damage since you want diamonds on the side of the band.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

- melee size
- halo size /shank size

Wearability with a wedding band with or without spacer, will there be a donut that will create a gap, how hard or easy to resize and how to make that easier.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she were given creative control, what would she recommend? What aspects are aesthetic vs durability

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
thank you @rockysalamander and @kal2021 for the tips!

well maytal was a dream in person - just as she has been up til now.

we spent almost 2 hours together discussing the perfect setting.

yes - we modified the design together so a band will sit flush if i choose - i can do a wedding band to sit flush if i want to with the triple sided pave band :) (not the eternity i posted earlier that will be a right hand band- but a matching band that will match the shank of the e-ring)

given creative control - she still would do the cathedral setting and triple sided pave given the look i am going for - it's not going to be SUPER delicate because she things my stone would look best with a little more balance if that make sense- i.e. i need at least a 2.3-2.4 mm band for the triple sided pave.

i am no expert - but seeing her work (i saw 4 finished pieces)- it is CLEAR to me that there is a BIG BIG BIG difference in what my original setting was and the work that she is capable of. I was blown away - the detail - the precision - i cannot believe it is all done by hand!

here are some pictures from the work she brought (excuse my nails)- even in the "horrible" lighting of the cafe we met in - the rings looked absolutely STUNNING.
IMG_2911.jpeg IMG_2927.jpeg IMG_2928.jpeg

she is going to get back to me with some sketches! i am so excited :) !!!!!!!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Wow what an exciting journey this has been for you! I love how quickly you made this happen. So excited to see the ring! It will be a world of difference.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow what an exciting journey this has been for you! I love how quickly you made this happen. So excited to see the ring! It will be a world of difference.

Thank you for the support and encouragement ‘I wouldn’t have known about maytal until you mentioned her.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
hi everyone

here is maytal's sketch ! i love it!!!!!!!

any feedback??? she did say the sides will need a little bit of a square(ish) shape for the triple sided pave. thank you everyone
IMG_9928.jpeg

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
hi everyone

here is maytal's sketch ! i love it!!!!!!!

any feedback??? she did say the sides will need a little bit of a square(ish) shape for the triple sided pave. thank you everyone
IMG_9928.jpeg

Looks beautiful!!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like she got the design you wanted right on.

i can do a wedding band to sit flush if i want to with the triple sided pave band
Its great it is flush, but the pave on the sides of the ering will eat anything you put against it. So, you'll need a spacer band once you have a wedding band added. But, its not a bit deal to add one.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It looks like she got the design you wanted right on.

Its great it is flush, but the pave on the sides of the ering will eat anything you put against it. So, you'll need a spacer band once you have a wedding band added. But, its not a bit deal to add one.

Maytal did say it wouldn't be a problem because the diamonds are set on an angle and will not rub against each other (!?)

thank you rocky!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness this ring is going to be amazing! Even the drawing is beautiful Lol!

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@SparklenHue123 any updates?! I saw an oval halo ring on Maytal’s IG and it made me think of you!

I was actually going to post that it’ll be here next week!!! My fiancé was even able to add a few things we told we not possible so I’m so excited !

That oval was gorgeous that she posted but it wasn’t mine !

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It’ll be here on Tuesday

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
omg so Maytal asked if i wanted to see a video to which i said OF COURSE. here it is. I am speechless beyond words. BEYOND BEYOND BEYOND.

the diamond looks how it SHOULD - just magical. I KNEW i picked an amazing stone and the old setting wasn't doing it any justice

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results