shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo / prong issue ?

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
9A6C2904-81C4-4B02-A55C-4F392CC37553.jpeg hi everyone ! So I want to thank this community in my pretty much , year long search for my perfect oval and ring ... I’m very very very happy with the diamond that I chose and love the setting design that I created. I feel silly even asking because I’m so grateful for the ring but I have to ask because it’s an important and expensive piece of jewelry. There is a tiny bit of space between the prong and the pave diamond I asked the jeweler about it and she said that sometimes there is a shrinkage going to casting process there is a little teeny tiny gap and if it gets a little bit dirty it is way more prominent. She is sending it back to the designer who did it in Los Angeles it was all done by hand he was either going to build up the beading which I understand is the metal but she also said he thinks he might be able to put a small diamond in the space. I wrote her back and was a little bit frustrated because I feel like something like this should be taken into account for when designing a halo. Please let me know your thoughts should I just have it redone all together. Is this a common problem? A0D5C0FC-5E92-41C0-9D94-2D2E71762E12.png thank you

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see the problem. In your enlarged photo it shows very well. As it gets smaller, the visibility of the "problem" sort of diminishes. To do it really invisibly, there could be multiple, very fine prongs holding the center diamond which would not displace any of the surrounding stones or spacing. The 4 prongs which are almost always used can disorganize the symmetry of the surrounding halo. In your case, it does exactly that and you see it. The use of small diamonds in the existing spaces may be a suitable solution. I have no idea if they will even things out or also be somewhat noticeable. Wishing you luck!

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I see the problem. In your enlarged photo it shows very well. As it gets smaller, the visibility of the "problem" sort of diminishes. To do it really invisibly, there could be multiple, very fine prongs holding the center diamond which would not displace any of the surrounding stones or spacing. The 4 prongs which are almost always used can disorganize the symmetry of the surrounding halo. In your case, it does exactly that and you see it. The use of small diamonds in the existing spaces may be a suitable solution. I have no idea if they will even things out or also be somewhat noticeable. Wishing you luck!

Thank you David - I really appreciate this. I'm wondering if I should just have it totally redone somewhere else? I have another friend in the industry who said this was just poor casting.

Maybe some others will chime in too? @rockysalamander @Starfacet @diamondseeker2006

thank you!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
In your first photo with the red arrows it looks like a diamond is totally missing on the left side. Personally I’d be pretty upset. I don’t think they should have given you the ring looking like that. If they can’t fix it to your liking, can you get your money back and start over somewhere else on the setting?

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In your first photo with the red arrows it looks like a diamond is totally missing on the left side. Personally I’d be pretty upset. I don’t think they should have given you the ring looking like that. If they can’t fix it to your liking, can you get your money back and start over somewhere else on the setting?

Thank you. I’m glad you agree . They said if I don’t like it after this round of editing that they will fully refund me and pay to have it done elsewhere

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think it is really "poor casting". It is just not a perfected design for someone who looks so closely. You are entitled to be happy, but this ring just may not be workable for your needs and dreams. A very thin and tiny prong rising up from the little space between the round diamonds at every stone or every other stone can be nearly invisible, very secure and not make the symmetry of the halo outline uneven. Someone with the right design or a good jeweler willing to make a bit of a customized heal and certainly do this for you. If you must keep the ring, then re-use the shank and just re-do the halo.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I’m glad you agree . They said if I don’t like it after this round of editing that they will fully refund me and pay to have it done elsewhere

For reference, look at Victor Canera’s halos. I realize these are rounds instead of ovals but still. It’s about the craftsmanship. Major difference.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement?shape=round&type=halo&page=1

Or this one by Leon Mege: https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/halo/oval-halo-diamond-solitaire-platinum-detail

Someone also recently posted an oval with halo by Hannah Maytal that was gorgeous!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
This one: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/harry-winston-inspired-oval-ring.246236/

And this one: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/in-love-with-my-reset-oval-rose-gold-halo.246388/

I just looked at Maytal Hannah’s website for the first time and every single one of her halos looks exquisite and she is in Encino. Are you in LA? I have a feeling you may be dealing with someone in the diamond district currently? I’ve had a few bad experiences down there - only a few people there you can trust IMO.

Last edited:

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
t
This one: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/harry-winston-inspired-oval-ring.246236/

And this one: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/in-love-with-my-reset-oval-rose-gold-halo.246388/

I just looked at Maytal Hannah’s website for the first time and every single one of her halos looks exquisite and she is in Encino. Are you in LA? I have a feeling you may be dealing with someone in the diamond district currently? I’ve had a few bad experiences down there - only a few people there you can trust IMO.

we are going with my family jeweler who is outside of boston - in all fairness my design was more complex than a regular halo - it is double edged so it has diamonds not only on the top but on the sides as welll - wondering if this is also adding to the complexity.

The LM one is gorgeous as is the Maytal Hanna. I'm definitely keeping my options open. Thank you

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge photos below....

I agree with what was said below. The issue is where I highlighted. In this version, which I assumed is a revised or updated CAD, they show a diamond being set immediately behind the prong. The odd thing is that is not where the prong would go normally in a halo. The prong is usually placed centered between two diamonds or there is not enough space. They could use a smaller stone, but that is not what this shows.

upload_2019-1-27_14-48-7.png
This is what I mean. The black is about the same size of the diamonds in your finished halo. How can it fit where the prong is located...as was shown in this CAD.
upload_2019-1-27_14-51-32.png

This is a picture of JmesJ Allen halo, so not at the level of LM or VC. Can you see how the prong is located between the diamonds? It has to go there or it simply won't fit. The only way the CAD above will work is if they made the halo a bit wider. But, that will tend to make an airline between the stone and halo.

upload_2019-1-27_14-46-49.png

I fear this maker is simply not capabe of executing this design.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-27_14-43-23.png
    upload_2019-1-27_14-43-23.png
    372.9 KB · Views: 32
  • upload_2019-1-27_14-46-5.png
    upload_2019-1-27_14-46-5.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 26

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Huge photos below....

I agree with what was said below. The issue is where I highlighted. In this version, which I assumed is a revised or updated CAD, they show a diamond being set immediately behind the prong. The odd thing is that is not where the prong would go normally in a halo. The prong is usually placed centered between two diamonds or there is not enough space. They could use a smaller stone, but that is not what this shows.

This is what I mean. The black is about the same size of the diamonds in your finished halo. How can it fit where the prong is located...as was shown in this CAD.

This is a picture of JmesJ Allen halo, so not at the level of LM or VC. Can you see how the prong is located between the diamonds? It has to go there or it simply won't fit. The only way the CAD above will work is if they made the halo a bit wider. But, that will tend to make an airline between the stone and halo.

Thank you rocky . exactly what i was wondering when i looked at the CAD - like isn't the prong supposed to go in between the two stones?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to see what happens when it comes back and start exploring other people who can do this from scratch. I just don't want to have to wait until 4 weeks as I've already waited a year - silly problems to complain about I know but we are getting married in October and have lots of pre wedding photoshoots etc coming up

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Huge photos below....

anyone you would recommend who would be capable of executing this flawlessly?

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
t

we are going with my family jeweler who is outside of boston - in all fairness my design was more complex than a regular halo - it is double edged so it has diamonds not only on the top but on the sides as welll - wondering if this is also adding to the complexity.

The LM one is gorgeous as is the Maytal Hanna. I'm definitely keeping my options open. Thank you

Got it. I agree with rockysalamander - they may just not be capable of doing what you want. I also found it odd to see diamonds below the prongs in the CAD. Any of the people I mentioned plus David Klass as well should be able to do what you need from what I’ve seen of their pieces. Personally i don’t think the fact that the halo has diamonds on the side should have affected what they did on top. I know it’s hard when it’s a family jeweler to walk away but in the end you need to be totally happy.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Got it. I agree with rockysalamander - they may just not be capable of doing what you want. I also found it odd to see diamonds below the prongs in the CAD. Any of the people I mentioned plus David Klass as well should be able to do what you need from what I’ve seen of their pieces. Personally i don’t think the fact that the halo has diamonds on the side should have affected what they did on top. I know it’s hard when it’s a family jeweler to walk away but in the end you need to be totally happy.

I’m already in contact with maytal Hannah ! She is fantastic and I will likely go with her. This may sound silly but is there any fear any more of stone swapping ? My dad is a little
Old school and mentioned this to me lol. I do know all of my stones birth marks so I’m not too concerned but want to ask nonetheless!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I’m already in contact with maytal Hannah ! She is fantastic and I will likely go with her. This may sound silly but is there any fear any more of stone swapping ? My dad is a little
Old school and mentioned this to me lol. I do know all of my stones birth marks so I’m not too concerned but want to ask nonetheless!

Oh wow that was fast! Did you just contact her today? No fear of stone swapping with any of these vendors. Only with the shadiest of shadys! So funny my dad recently mentioned that to me as well. He’s also old school!

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh wow that was fast! Did you just contact her today? No fear of stone swapping with any of these vendors. Only with the shadiest of shadys! So funny my dad recently mentioned that to me as well. He’s also old school!

Lol yes today ‘ and she hopped right on the phone with me ! She was lovely but now my dad has put fears in my head lol

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh nothing to fear at all! None of these vendors would risk their reputations.

Thanks kal - she truly was lovely and I think she’ll do an amazing job

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Things like this would upset me a lot. It is not acceptable to show you a ring like this. I simply think the guy is not up to this job. I do hope they would be able to fix it when you see it tho.

I was thinking the same thing - unacceptable as is. I’d actually be kind of insulted that they would think it’s ok to give it to me like that. Sorry that sounds harsh! :(2

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking the same thing - unacceptable as is. I’d actually be kind of insulted that they would think it’s ok to give it to me like that. Sorry that sounds harsh! :(2

I feel like they are trying to see if the customer would accept it and not see the missing stones...? Yea I would feel very insulted.

They could let her know what had went wrong, then ask for more time to fix it instead of being in this situation.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like they are trying to see if the customer would accept it and not see the missing stones...? Yea I would feel very insulted.

They could let her know what had went wrong, then ask for more time to fix it instead of being in this situation.

Completely agree. Like in their mind it was good enough and maybe she wouldn’t notice or care. But clearly there is an issue!

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Oh don’t be sorry it’s the truth lol!!!

It would take about 4 weeks once she has it @kal2021 !!

I may just call my jeweler tomorrow and tell her to stop the repair and send it to maytal !

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Completely agree. Like in their mind it was good enough and maybe she wouldn’t notice or care. But clearly there is an issue!

What’s most upsetting is that they know how crazy I am about detail - I looked at over 100 stones . They knew I was very very detail oriented

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
What’s most upsetting is that they know how crazy I am about detail - I looked at over 100 stones . They knew I was very very detail oriented

I’m glad I didn’t offend you! If it were me I would cancel with them ASAP and send to Maytal. Why waste any more time. I truly think you will be happier all around with Maytal. Will you change the design at all? And wow that’s a lot of diamonds!

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m glad I didn’t offend you! If it were me I would cancel with them ASAP and send to Maytal. Why waste any more time. I truly think you will be happier all around with Maytal. Will you change the design at all? And wow that’s a lot of diamonds!

the only things i will change about the design are that i will have the band be 3/4 pave not all the way around - this is what maytal suggests and ultimately what i wanted to begin with. i will also have her smooth out the edges - i didnt even tell you guys this but the band was cutting me (as in i was gushing blood) because the edges were so square and sharp.

yes i am going to contact my jeweler tomorrow and figure out how to get it to maytal ASAP. i am just confused about the insurance piece - i just emailed my insurnce company - as of now the entire piece of jewelry is insured - i know maytal is fully insured but not sure if i need to protect it once the stone is loose again?

xo

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
the only things i will change about the design are that i will have the band be 3/4 pave not all the way around - this is what maytal suggests and ultimately what i wanted to begin with. i will also have her smooth out the edges - i didnt even tell you guys this but the band was cutting me (as in i was gushing blood) because the edges were so square and sharp.

yes i am going to contact my jeweler tomorrow and figure out how to get it to maytal ASAP. i am just confused about the insurance piece - i just emailed my insurnce company - as of now the entire piece of jewelry is insured - i know maytal is fully insured but not sure if i need to protect it once the stone is loose again?

xo

Omg you poor thing! Gushing blood?! Unacceptable. It’s funny because I thought the setting looked rough. Are you set on having diamonds on the sides of the band? I think that’s creating the more squared edges on the band.

I don’t think you need more insurance for once the stone is loose but your insurance company will know.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE="diamondnewbieny, post: 4488408, member: 105519"stomer would accept it and not see the missing stones...? [/QUOTE]
I think the issue is that they did not plan the design well. Once it was cast, they should have caught the error. Heck, even adding a tiny diamond or bead of metal would be better than leaving a blank.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results