shape
carat
color
clarity

Guys, I really need some support . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all again for your support throughout all of this. I just wanted to update this thread to let you know that we lost our sweet boy today. I feel like my heart has been scooped out.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big hugs to you. Condolences on your loss. He was blessed to have been loved & cared for his entire life & I''m sure you feel blessed that you got to share your heart & your love with such a wonderful, gentle soul.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I am soooo sorry to hear that you lost your sweet fur baby. He was such a sweet, handsome guy!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

So, he too is now at Rainbow Bridge with the rest of the PS and other fur babies waiting for us. I know this won''t help too much but, remember, that he is in good company and is having fun exchanging stories with all the other fur babaies about their PS humans and our sparklie [and fur baby] obsessions.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

I''m so sorry Irishgrrl! GIANT HUGS & my thoughts are with you & your crew.
7.gif

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry to hear that! (((HUGS)))
emrose.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
IG, I am so, so, so sorry.

I saw this thread at the top of hangout, and my heart sank.

I can only imagine how you''re feeling right now.

((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) to you. You were such an awesome furbaby mommy. He was lucky to have you.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Emm -

i''m so sorry. i can''t imagine what you''re going through and dread the day i have to go through it myself.

i really do believe you''ll see him again one day tho; i just can''t imagine heaven - or even the point of heaven - without animals who have been so adored.

i hope you find solace in the 8 years of memories you have, and in knowing he went through his whole life loved and wanted. nothing is worth more than that to a dog.

big hug to you.

7.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Irish- I''m so sorry. Hugs to you and your husband.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata ~ Thank you . . . I really do feel blessed to have had him in my life, even for such a short period of time. HE took very good care of ME for all those years.

Blu ~ Thanks. The Rainbow Bridge story has always held a special place in my heart, and I really do believe it''s true.

Deco ~ Thank you. Give your sweet pup extra hugs for me tonight!

Amandine ~ Thanks for the hugs . . . I need as many of those as I can get right now!

Elle ~ Thank you so much for all your posts to me about Caesar. You''ve helped more than you''ll ever know.

Whitby ~ Thank you, dear. I always enjoy reading your posts, and I know what a huge dog lover you are. I agree that heaven wouldn''t be heaven without our animals. I KNOW he''s there right now, playing with all the other pets who are waiting for their humans. I''ll see him again someday.

Bree ~ Thank you, honey! Please give your pups extra love for me!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Oh dear, I shouldn''t have started on the last page...
38.gif
Going back to read....

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m so terribly sorry to read this news Irishgrrl - I know how deeply you loved your sweetie, and I''m sure he knew as well. He had an extremely loved and blessed life, and I''m sure he is glad you let him go when it was time. I can''t imagine how devastated you must be by this incredible loss, but please try to take comfort in the wonderful memories you have of him, and in the knowledge that he surely knew what a special place he will always hold in your heart - I''m sure he''s very grateful not only for the many happy years you had together, but for your strength and selflessness in letting him go when it was time.

(((((((((((((HUGE HUGS))))))))))))))

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Irishgirrrl, what can say? I know you knew he was getting old and his time was coming soon, but it never quite prepares you does it? I am in tears now because I know what a good mommy you were to him and he will be so missed. Please cherish all of the good times you had with him and know that he was so very lucky to have you. These past few months have been so difficult, but you stayed strong for him allowed him to go on living until his time came. There are a lot of dog owners who would have given up on him the moment things got tough, but you didn''t. Hug your other furbabies tight. I''ll be thinking of you.

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is just heart-breaking and my heart goes out to you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only know that you lost your Great Dane, Ceaser, Irishgrrrl. I could not read the details. Please accept my condolences. I know what it is like to lose the dog you love. I had a big boy, too. Although mine was a Lab, one vet called him , "a Great Dane in Lab's clothing" and having him made my daughter fall in love with Great Danes. She volunteers for the local Great Dane rescue where we both get our "fix" of those loveable giants. I can't adopt one, because the loss is too awful. I am so sorry.

Big hugs and lots of love,
AGBF
34.gif

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
I am sorry for your loss. He is somewhere without pain.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry for your loss. Sending lots of hugs. I''m devastated for you.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry for your loss.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so terribly sorry...

Smo

Shiny_Rock
Oh Irishgrrrl I could hardly read your post because I started tearing up. I want to give you my perspective as it is still quite fresh for me. My family had a 17 year old standard poodle and for us he was the world greatest dog. He was so smart and handsome and loving. People used to stop us in the street and ask about what breed he was because he was so handsome! During my final high school years he was my best buddy. I was really unhappy having moved states and having no friends for 2 years. I used to come home from school and he would just lie next to me and snuggle up and it would make me feel better. My mum used to send him in to wake me up every morning which I loved, he was like my other (preferred!) brother.

When I moved out of home I missed him so much but I only lived 20 minutes away from my parents so I used to see him a lot. And he would always make such a fuss of me when I came home. I jumped at any opportunity to house sit for mum and dad as we would get to hang out! I adored him and so did my whole family. He was family to us.

He started to downhill health wise last year. He was on pills for his joints and had to be carried up and down the stairs. He struggled to lie down and get comfortable but was managing OK. Then a few months ago he got an infection and he was so poorly, mum took him to the vet and he was there for 5 days. He was so, so sick but still recognised us and we visited him and hoped against hope he would get better. On the Thursday night he was able to sit up and my mum hand fed him some chicken. We even talked about brining him home on the weekend. But on the Friday he couldn't even sit up, he had a bad temperature and clearly wasn't well. The nurses said that they couldn't do anything else for him.

My mum, brother and I (my poor dad was in China) made the hardest decision to have him put down. He wasn't well, couldn't even stand up and had no quality of life. Like you, we would have done anything to avoid that decision but he was so ill and sad and the biggest thing was that it was unfair on him for us to hold onto him. I can't even talk about it without crying and my heart hurts thinking about it. We all (except for my dad) got to say goodbye to him and hold him whilst the nurse gave him that final injection. It was horrid, the worse thing I have ever experienced and my mum and brother say the same thing.

However, I can honestly say we did the right thing. He was so ill and uncomfortable and we couldn't do anything else for him. He had given us so much joy and love and it would have been wrong for us to make him hold on. I miss him desperately and still do. Afterwards I went to the pub with my family and we were able to laugh and cry about all the funny and good times with him.

ETA: So sorry, I didn't read the last post.

Irishgrrrl it sounds like you have given him a wonderful life and that he was a huge part of your family. He was a gorgeous boy and those eyes! What a darling! I am sending my hugs and thoughts to you, remember the good times and all the joy he gave you.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear about losing Caesar, Irishgirrrl. He is now in heaven, no longer in pain...
{Hugs}

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 6:47:46 AM
Author: chiquitapet
So sorry to hear about losing Caesar, Irishgirrrl. He is now in heaven, no longer in pain...

{Hugs}
Yes sorry to hear that :{
*hugs*

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber ~ Thank you. There are a lot of good memories, and I keep trying to think of those.

Mia ~ No, I really wasn't prepared, despite my best efforts. I knew it was coming, but I guess I thought we had more time. I thought we'd at least get through the summer. Our vet kept telling us that we had done so much more for Caesar than most parents would have done, but I just couldn't imagine doing anything less. I know you know exactly what I mean. Give Oliver big hugs for me!

Kelli ~ Thank you. This really is heartbreaking . . . even worse than I thought it would be.

AGBF ~ Bless you and your daughter for your work with the Danes! They are such special little people, and there really is nothing like a Dane. I don't think I'll ever have another one, simply because the breed's only drawback (the short life span) is more than I can handle. I just can't go through this ever again. And don't worry about not reading the details . . . I really couldn't give any yesterday, but I'm at a point where I think I can (and need to) today, so you might want to stop reading now. ((((HUGS))))

Lovegem ~ I keep taking comfort in that. He's not hurting anymore, and he can get up and lay down on his own now. He's finally feeling better, and how can I be sad about that?

Bee* ~ Thank you. Give Amber extra hugs for me!

Imdanny ~ Thank you.

Lorelei ~ Thank you so much for being here. I know you were really pulling for him. ((((HUGS))))

Smo ~ Thank you for sharing your story. I know how much you were hurting, and probably still are. It sounds like your boy went through a lot of the same things Caesar did (problems walking, pills for his joints, etc.). Please know that you did the right thing for him. ((((HUGS))))

Chiquita ~ Thank you.

Strm ~ Thanks.

OK, like I said earlier to AGBF, I think I'm ready to talk about it a little more now:

DH and I were both off yesterday, and DH got up before I did (as usual). He let all three dogs out before I woke up. Everyone went outside just like ususal, and Caesar seemed no worse than usual. DH then let them back in so they could eat their breakfast, but Caesar didn't want to come in. He was laying in the grass in the sun (one of his favorite things to do), and he just didn't want to get up. So DH let him stay out there for a while. I poked my head out and checked on him when I got up, and he perked his ears up and wagged his tail at me. (God, what I wouldn't do to have that moment back!) A little while later, DH went out to check on him, and he was laying flat in the grass. It looked like he was asleep, but it was really time for him to come in now, so DH went over to him and tried to get him up. He wouldn't get up, and he was very warm to the touch. DH poked his head in the back door and told me to come out. When I got out there, DH was hosing him off gently with cool water. I called our vet's office, which was closed because it was Sunday, so I then called the emergency vet. By this time, I was pretty hysterical, so DH talked to them. While he was on the phone with them, it became obvious that we wouldn't need their services. We think he just feel asleep in the grass and might have overheated or had some kind of serious medical event (heart attack, seizure, etc.). It was only about 72 degrees or so at the time, so we never thought that he might get too warm out there. He just looked so comfortable and happy laying in the sun. I really think he just fell asleep. We took him up to my mom and stepdad's house yesterday and buried him in a quiet, beautiful spot. I'm going to order a nice marker for him.

Honestly, I think he knew that I couldn't take him to the vet and have him put down. I really think he knew that I just couldn't bring myself to do that. So he waited for a day when DH was home with me, and he just took care of things in his own way. He was such a good boy. SUCH a good boy.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
God bless him. I am so so sorry.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so sad. He sounds like an absolutely amazing dog.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
4/27/2009 7:00:53 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Honestly, I think he knew that I couldn''t take him to the vet and have him put down. I really think he knew that I just couldn''t bring myself to do that. So he waited for a day when DH was home with me, and he just took care of things in his own way. He was such a good boy. SUCH a good boy.
I couldn''t help myself. I had to read about Ceasar. He was a good boy. I had a Golden like that, who spared us having to euthanize her. Our last dog, our Lab, was a very bad dog and he spared us nothing his entire life. Naturally he did not spare us having to euthanize him! I loved him dearly, though. I mourned him for at least a year before he actually died because I anticipated the end. As the end approached, it was horrible. His actual death was very easy :).

Ceasar''s lying in the sun sounds so natural! He must be in heaven! Even Biscuit has to be, because although he was a horrible boy, he was pure of heart!!!

AGBF
34.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry for your loss of Caesar. Many times I hear people say that furbaby owners should be relieved that their pet is no longer in pain. It''s true, I guess, but we still feel their pain.

It sounds like Caesar had a wonderful life thanks to you and your family. What more could he ask than to pass away in warmth of the sun.

((((((BIG HUGS))))))

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry that you lost your beloved Cesar. I hope you can find comfort knowing that he''ll be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.
emrainbow.gif

HUGS!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 7:00:53 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
, I think he knew that I couldn''t take him to the vet and have him put down. I really think he knew that I just couldn''t bring myself to do that. So he waited for a day when DH was home with me, and he just took care of things in his own way. He was such a good boy. SUCH a good boy.
That is a beautiful thing. He got leave on his own terms and you didn''t have to make the decision for him. I know that is my worst fear when it comes to Oliver. (((((Hugs again))))))))

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Oh Em, it does sound like Caesar truly wanted to spare you that most heartbreaking of decisions. I''m sure he went peacefully - as you said, as though he just fell asleep, happy and warm in the grass that he loved, near his people and in familiar surroundings. It sounds like it was a peaceful end, and I''m sure he knew how loved he was until the very last moment.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Emm, it took me a few tries (and a few kleenexes) to get through your last post. I''m a little embarrassed to admit that my final thought was that it was beautiful. I know that is the wrong word to use when you are going through so much heartbreak, but I can''t help but think that the way he went--asleep and in the sun--was how I would want it to be for my boys. No needles, no vets, just the familiarity of his own back yard and both of his non-furry parents to be there for him.

I''m so sorry for your loss. Ceasar was a wonderful dog, I know you will think of him forever.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results