shape
carat
color
clarity

Guys, I really need some support . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ladies!
21.gif

I think that''s what we''ll do about the radio. We can always turn it on for them if they seem to be restless, but I think we''ll try the all-dogs-in-kitchen-radio-off plan tonight and see how it goes.

I''m going home to check on him in about ten minutes, like I do every day at lunchtime. I''m SO lucky that I work so close to home . . . if traffic is good, I can literally make the trip in under a minute!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 11:53:47 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Thanks, ladies!
21.gif

I think that''s what we''ll do about the radio. We can always turn it on for them if they seem to be restless, but I think we''ll try the all-dogs-in-kitchen-radio-off plan tonight and see how it goes.

I''m going home to check on him in about ten minutes, like I do every day at lunchtime. I''m SO lucky that I work so close to home . . . if traffic is good, I can literally make the trip in under a minute!
9.gif
Thats great you can check on him!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 12:24:45 PM
Author: Lorelei

Thanks, ladies!
21.gif

9.gif
Yeah, it''s very nice to be able to do that, especially whenever one of them is having health issues. When Biko was recuperating from his knee surgery (he tore his ACL a few years ago and had it surgically repaired), I was able to check his incision every day at lunchtime. Very convenient!
9.gif

So today when I went home at lunchtime, there were no accidents on the floor and Caesar got up pretty good for me. He went outside, did his business, and then promptly laid down in the mud! So of course I had to clean him up with wet paper towels and change the bandage over his pressure sore since he managed to get it all muddy! He is such a goof-ball!
20.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear about how hard things are at the minute for you. I treat my dog like one of the kids and I already worry how it will be when she gets old. She is only 4.

I was thinking about the third dog refusing to sleep downstairs. If she is the most dominent of the three let her stay upstairs. The boys are fine in the kitchen and she is happy with you.

I am sending you big hugs!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 12:43:22 PM
Author: Maisie
I''m so sorry to hear about how hard things are at the minute for you. I treat my dog like one of the kids and I already worry how it will be when she gets old. She is only 4.

I was thinking about the third dog refusing to sleep downstairs. If she is the most dominent of the three let her stay upstairs. The boys are fine in the kitchen and she is happy with you.

I am sending you big hugs!!
Yeah, Maisie, I think you might be onto something there. However, it''s sometimes hard to figure out who the most dominant one is with our kids! Turbo *thinks* she''s the dominant one, but I think Biko really is. He usually just lets her have her way . . . he''s very good at "picking his battles." But if something is really important to him and he stands up to her, she backs down IMMEDIATELY! So we don''t really know for sure who the "boss" is!

Of the three of them though, I think Turbo is the one who is most likely to whine and whimper about being in the kitchen. I think we''ll give it a try tonight, and if she complains too much we''ll just let her come upstairs and leave the boys in the kitchen. UGH! It is just so hard to keep everyone happy . . . I don''t know how people with human kids handle it!
32.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 12:43:01 PM

Thanks, ladies!
21.gif

9.gif
Yeah, it''s very nice to be able to do that, especially whenever one of them is having health issues. When Biko was recuperating from his knee surgery (he tore his ACL a few years ago and had it surgically repaired), I was able to check his incision every day at lunchtime. Very convenient!
9.gif

So today when I went home at lunchtime, there were no accidents on the floor and Caesar got up pretty good for me. He went outside, did his business, and then promptly laid down in the mud! So of course I had to clean him up with wet paper towels and change the bandage over his pressure sore since he managed to get it all muddy! He is such a goof-ball!
20.gif
LOL!!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 12:48:19 PM

Date: 3/4/2009 12:43:01 PM

Thanks, ladies!
21.gif

9.gif
9.gif

20.gif
LOL!!!
Yeah, let me tell ya . . . Momma was NOT laughing!
29.gif
2.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Irish-so glad to hear that having a sleeping buddy kept Caesar happy last night!!! Makes a world of difference if you feel that they are content, so you can relax! I know when my Max got closer to his passing last year, he preferred the quiet-alot of noise seemed to irritate him-so maybe the no radio idea is a great one. Glad to hear that the meds seem to be doing some good for him too! Good Luck, hugs to you both :)

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 1:06:12 PM
Author: stepcutnut
Irish-so glad to hear that having a sleeping buddy kept Caesar happy last night!!! Makes a world of difference if you feel that they are content, so you can relax! I know when my Max got closer to his passing last year, he preferred the quiet-alot of noise seemed to irritate him-so maybe the no radio idea is a great one. Glad to hear that the meds seem to be doing some good for him too! Good Luck, hugs to you both :)
Thanks, Step! I definitely think he was happier last night since Biko was with him. I just hope it keeps working! *fingers crossed*
21.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Irish, I don''t know how I didn''t see this until now, but I definitely want to give you ((((tons of cyber hugs))) and remind you what a fabulous mama you are to Ceasar. I''m so glad that today is a good day for him--I love that he laid down in the mud, haha. You and your husband are such loving, caring people and I feel like Ceasar was a lucky dog to be yours! I''m sure you''re both very drained right now and I''m just so sorry.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m glad he''s doing better today! He is such a cutie pie, thank you for posting the picture.

I go home every day at lunch to check on Buster too! It''s a 10 min trip though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is he today?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NEL ~ Thanks! I think losing any dog is a terrible thing to go through, but I think it''s even harder for those of us who have large breed dogs since their life spans are so much shorter. It just seems so unfair!
7.gif

Shimmer ~ Isn''t it nice to be able to check on them at lunchtime? It makes me feel so much better!
1.gif

Lorelei ~ He''s doing pretty good today! We had a quiet night last night. All three of them slept in the kitchen, and Turbo hardly whined at all. DH said he heard her a couple times last night, but I didn''t hear a peep. I think she and Biko understand.
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 8:18:33 AM
NEL ~ Thanks! I think losing any dog is a terrible thing to go through, but I think it's even harder for those of us who have large breed dogs since their life spans are so much shorter. It just seems so unfair!
7.gif

Shimmer ~ Isn't it nice to be able to check on them at lunchtime? It makes me feel so much better!
1.gif

Lorelei ~ He's doing pretty good today! We had a quiet night last night. All three of them slept in the kitchen, and Turbo hardly whined at all. DH said he heard her a couple times last night, but I didn't hear a peep. I think she and Biko understand.
5.gif
I am so glad and it sounds like the company is really helping him, little darling!!!
30.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Irish - I just wanted to send a hug your way. SO''s mother just lost her elderly dog, and it''s always hard when they start to get a little slower in life. I''m glad to hear he did a little better with his sleeping buddy and I know you are giving him the best kind of life he can have, one full of love

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei ~ Yeah, I think he''s glad to have company at night. I think he was just lonely, the poor guy!

Dragonfly ~ Thanks for the hug! It is SO hard to watch him go through this. All we can really do is try to make him as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

On a positive note, he seems to have a great appetite lately! He cleaned his bowl completely at both feedings yesterday and also got it almost clean this morning! (He had been leaving a little bit of his food in the bottom of the bowl, which Biko was more than happy to clean up for him.)
21.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 9:18:30 AM
Lorelei ~ Yeah, I think he''s glad to have company at night. I think he was just lonely, the poor guy!

Dragonfly ~ Thanks for the hug! It is SO hard to watch him go through this. All we can really do is try to make him as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

On a positive note, he seems to have a great appetite lately! He cleaned his bowl completely at both feedings yesterday and also got it almost clean this morning! (He had been leaving a little bit of his food in the bottom of the bowl, which Biko was more than happy to clean up for him.)
21.gif
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is SUCH a good boy! He takes one and a half Proin tablets at bedtime (for his bladder issues), and it''s usually quite a struggle to get him to take them. (They''re supposed to taste good, but I don''t think he''s convinced.) Well, tonight he snarfed them right up like they were treats instead of medicine! He''s such a sweetie-pie!
16.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 11:38:30 PM
He is SUCH a good boy! He takes one and a half Proin tablets at bedtime (for his bladder issues), and it''s usually quite a struggle to get him to take them. (They''re supposed to taste good, but I don''t think he''s convinced.) Well, tonight he snarfed them right up like they were treats instead of medicine! He''s such a sweetie-pie!
16.gif

Oh, what a lovebug. Just wanted you to know I''m thinking about you guys.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 10:24:10 AM
Author: Haven

Date: 3/6/2009 11:38:30 PM
16.gif

Oh, what a lovebug. Just wanted you to know I''m thinking about you guys.
Thanks, Haven!
5.gif

He''s pretty chipper this morning . . . he''s been outside twice so far today and he was barking at the neighbor dogs both times! DH is fishing right now, and Caesar keeps looking out the window and barking whenever a car goes by . . . he wants his Daddy to come home! LOL!
21.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
IG - I''m glad to hear that Caesar is having a better few days - fingers crossed that the improvement continues to hold for the foreseeable future!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 1:57:46 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
IG - I''m glad to hear that Caesar is having a better few days - fingers crossed that the improvement continues to hold for the foreseeable future!
Thanks, Amber! It''s been pretty warm here lately, and I think the nicer weather is helping his joints. The high today was 73 degrees! WOO HOO!
36.gif

And I finally got his pic to upload:

Caesar1.JPG

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
AHH!!! THE FACE!!!

I wanna kiss the face!
30.gif
30.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 5:30:17 PM
Author: elledizzy5
AHH!!! THE FACE!!!

I wanna kiss the face!
30.gif
30.gif
LOL! Elle, he is SUCH a love bug! I give him kisses ALL the time, but he doesn''t really kiss back too much . . . I think he knows that his tongue is VERY big and VERY slobbery and he doesn''t want to offend! LOL! But he gives "sniffs" instead of kisses . . . he''ll get RIGHTINYOURFACE and gently sniff your eyes, nose, mouth, hair, etc. Every once in a very rare while, he WILL give kisses, but he just sticks his tongue out a tiny bit and barely touches it to your cheek . . . such a little gentleman! LOL!
9.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sweet face! I don''t envy you your predicament - I''ve been there myself. Only you and your vet can really know when their quality of life is so compromised it''s time to consider other measures. However, being able to eat, drink, poop and pee on his own tells me that he still has good quality. I realize they get old and slow but he has meds for his bladder and joint problems and it doesn''t seem to get in the way of the basics! I love that he still barks in the yard and gets in the mud!

It''s just a day by day process and with you being able to check on him during the day - that is a godsend. If he should falter, he won''t be alone too many hours without help.

Just love your baby all you can - it is so hard when they get older and we know that eventually we''ll lose them. We lost our first dog after 14 years and waited 4 years to get another because I didn''t want to go through the pain. Now we have a 13 year old Yorkie and while it just tears us up to think of losing her we know we will do what we must for her sake when the time comes. Too bad we can''t help ease people out the way we can our animals - but that is content for another thread!

Big hugs to you, your dog and your heart! Sounds like things are good so far!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BLESS HIM!!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, MGR and Lorelei!
21.gif

He''s having another pretty good day today. It''s still nice and warm outside, so he was laying on the back porch for a while earlier this afternoon. I think the warmer weather really is making him feel better!
1.gif

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock
Hi Irishgrrrl... your story gives me so much hope that my pookie (13 year old 100lb german shepard) will get better one day. Last week it was like all of a sudden he couldnt walk up and down the stairs and had to struggle every time to get up that he got very lazy and started to do his business on himself because he couldnt get up or he would accidently fall into his business because he couldnt stay up long enough. The vet said he has minor arthritis and the same problem as your ceaser with the fusing spinal cord. Our pookie is on muscle relaxant and cortizone - it has been 2 days since starting the meds, but it doesn''t look like he is improving much and I am getting very nervous! How long did it take caesar to start getting better on the meds? Our pookie still does not want to attempt the stairs nor does he really want to get up (unless tempted for a treat or pulled up with a harness). I feel so hopeless...
emcry.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hugs, I don''t know much about dogs other than I like them so I have no advice.

I am sorry Caesar is not doing well.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Caesar is absolutely beautiful! I''m glad he''s having better days now and I hope it continues!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results