shape
carat
color
clarity

Greetings, new to the forum and need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fuentes

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
My name is Dan and I have been lurking around this forum for about a week or so because the time has come for me to make a diamond purchase. After reading many posts in that time, I realized that it would be worth my time to solicit the advice of those who frequent this board. So here goes, I have been with my girlfriend for nearly five years now and it''s about time I get her a ring. I have been dragging my feet beause I pride myself on making fiscally responsible decisions and in my skewed mind, diamonds are do not fit into that category...I know I know....I''ve probably offended many of you, I can''t help it, it''s just the way I was raised;-) I''ve purchased a house for us but doesn''t count, apparently I need a ring to get married to this girl it seems;-)
So I have an idea of what she wants from a while back, I know she''d like a princess cut and she is more of a contemporary kind of girl as far as ring design. For the diamond, I''d like to get the best value (size and brilliance) for no more than $3200. For the ring, I really like the look of channel set princess cut side stones in white gold. I know it''s not that fancy but I''d like to keep the cost of the setting to no more than $800.
I really do appreciate any of the advice anyone has to offer. Having read many threads on this message board, I intend to give much weight to the information you all have to offer.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey dan
35.gif
welcome to ps and congratulations on the upcoming proposal!
i would suggest finding a reputable vendor that you are comfortable working with and have them find a stone that fits your budget. i have personally worked with www.whiteflash.com and can highly recommend them.
i love a princess with channel set sides and i''m sure you can find one to fit your budget.
best of luck to you!

fuentes

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your prompt reply!
I forgot to mention that Whiteflash was high on my list for a diamond for sure, but they did not have many diamonds in my range with an IS image posted (I think), perhaps I may be searching incorrectly.
Also, what opinion do you all have of blue nile?

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dan,

Welcome to PS!
36.gif

Wow ... you already bought a house for her?
28.gif

Belle gave you an excellent suggestion. Call a few of the trusted on-line vendors here, and let them know your budget, what you lookin'' for, and they should be able to find something for your future Mrs!

Do you have an idea of what size stone, or color your thinking about?

Best wishes to you both,
35.gif

fuentes

Rough_Rock
Well, I''m looking for an eye clean stone as far as color and clarity. As for size, I was hoping for a .9 ct but that may be a little big for my price range if I want something that shines nicely.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Dan,

I would go with Whiteflash or Good Old Gold before I personally went with Blue Nile. My personal pref.
21.gif

There are many people on this board that have used Whiteflash like belle, and have had wonderful and positive results. I and many others have used Good Old Gold with wonderful and positive results. I''d give them both a call, and see what they can do for you.
9.gif

Just because one vendor doesn''t have a diamond in stock, or at least up on the website, doesn''t mean they don''t have one in stock, or if they don''t, they should be able to get something in for you to look at.

And ... Kermit is a cutie!
30.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there aren''t going to be a lot of vendors that have a good in house inventory of fancy shapes. if you want to get the best bang for your buck, you are going to have to do some searching. there is nothing wrong with doing most of the legwork yourself, but i''ve found that it is just easier to let the professionals do their job. i would call around and see who is willing to work for you.
bn drop ships most all of their stones (meaning they never see them..just send them to your door) and they don''t have a trade up policy that compares to the vendors here. that said, if you find something you like and are comfortable going with them, that may be best for you.

fuentes

Rough_Rock
Also, how much weight should I place on an IS image with a princess cut as far as cut quality goes? I have the impression that it should carry the most weight with a princess cut because there are no industry standard "ideal" measurements....or is this wrong?

fuentes

Rough_Rock
I looked at GOG website, but it seemed pricier than WF. I mentioned BlueNile because they had a couple of settings that I liked in my range.

fuentes

Rough_Rock
I do plan on calling WF in tomorrow morning, I just wanted some last minute advice on how I should prioritize things.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PS,
I have bought from GOG and WF. Can't go wrong with either of them. Good luck!!
1.gif

fuentes

Rough_Rock
Well, I was just looking at GOG''s website and noticed that they have Suare H&A, does anyone here have these? Also, the price is not listed on any, how much more are they than typical princess cuts?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 10:28:32 PM
Author: fuentes
Also, how much weight should I place on an IS image with a princess cut as far as cut quality goes? I have the impression that it should carry the most weight with a princess cut because there are no industry standard ''ideal'' measurements....or is this wrong?
is images for princess cuts are not going to be as cut and dry as rounds, but i like having them and would definitely want one if i were making a purchase site unseen.

to get a well ''rounded''
2.gif
stone in size and budget you might want to look at h/si diamonds first

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Bluenile has a higher markup than the other vendors mentioned so they wouldn''t be my first choice either. You can always purchase the setting there and have the diamond vendor set the stone in that setting. You might also want to check out excel diamonds and engagment rings direct. Good luck and welcome to PS!
35.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 10:43:02 PM
Well, I was just looking at GOG''s website and noticed that they have Suare H&A, does anyone here have these? Also, the price is not listed on any, how much more are they than typical princess cuts?
there are a few people here that have square h&a''s. you can do a search and look up posts about them. in my opinion, they don''t look much at all like squares, especially when set. also, you sacrifice a lot of size for the carat weight. and if i remember correctly, they are priced about the same as ideal rounds, which is more than they typical princess cut. basically, you get more diamond for your money in a square cut like the princess.
2.gif

fuentes

Rough_Rock
Ah, i see, good point about the H&A square, i guess princess sounds best
28.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Dan,

You say that you would like to get a stone about .90. WHat if you couldn''t ... would you consider going like .75 and upgrade at a later date when funding was better? If so, make sure the vendor has a trade up policy for "just in case ... down the road ... shrinkage ..."

I don''t know alot about princess cuts, perhaps the other wonderful people here could chime in with cut, color etc...

I am visual, and I definately would want to see as many different reports, pic''s and scans as I could. I think an IS image can give you an idea of what leakage there might be in a princess cut stone, but I might be wrong.

Have a great day!
35.gif

slammie

Shiny_Rock
I definately think IS images are important for fancy shapes too. If anything, it will give you an image depicting not only leakage (white areas) but small spots of black (which are good/gives stone fire) and how even the spread of red/pink saturation that stone has (brilliance).

Here''s some more info:
http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_fancy.asp

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

fuentes

Rough_Rock
Well, I''m not dead set on a .9ct. If all I can afford is a fabulous .75ct then so be it. I don''t think that I would ever trade up. I feel as though the first diamond I give her for her finger should be the only one, it''s the one that has the meaning and trading up for a bigger one would undermine that...just my opinion. Besides, she is a nurse and if it had a to be a smaller stone it''s probably OK because she may have probs wearing it with gloves anyway.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Here's another..not crazy about the VVS but the IS image looks a bit better than the GOG but that one looks nice too with a better grade for polish/symmetry!

.84 princess

fuentes

Rough_Rock
As a matter of fact, I did see that stone. Here''s where my lack of experience comes in though, I hope you enlighten me....I saw the IS image and I interpreted a lot of light leakage, can you tell me how you interpret it?

E B

Ideal_Rock
That idealscope does look better, Slammie! VVSI though...wow!

fuentes

Rough_Rock
Geez, you all are quick!
19.gif
Yes that second diamond looks much better as far as the IS image goes. My previous post was in response to the first diamond

slammie

Shiny_Rock
fuentes, I''m not sure which stone you are referring to, but the exceldiamond stone has lots of small black spots distributed evenly and has almost no white areas inside the stone. Princess tend to leak on the corners and edges so finding one without much white inside the stone with a nice even red/pink saturation and small black spots will most likely yield a firey brilliant stone.
The GOG appears to have more of these white areas in the middle with less black spots.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about that, Dan. I usually look at the idealscopes first, but I''ve gotten so used to GOGs stones being gorgeous, I skipped it this time. Assuming is never good. The idealscope on the Superbcert looks
30.gif

fuentes

Rough_Rock
That is a niice diamond...I assume that you see the vvs1 grade as a downside because it inflates the price of the stone for a quality that is much better than I am looking for?

slammie

Shiny_Rock
One last thing, personally I would go up in color and down in clarity though..unless you are a clarity freak, you really don''t need VVS or even VS in princess, unlike step cuts which tend to show inclusion more.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 11:24:17 PM
That is a niice diamond...I assume that you see the vvs1 grade as a downside because it inflates the price of the stone for a quality that is much better than I am looking for?

Yes, generally. My center stone is an SI1, completely eye-clean and a lot cheaper than a VVS1 would have been. There''s always the exception, though. If a stone is in your price range, an ideal cut AND around the size you want, I''d say put it on the "contender" list!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results