shape
carat
color
clarity

Green -red stone

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
These hoity toity wannabe gemologists have years of buying and collecting under their belts and a wealth of knowledge. Perhaps before you start criticising others you should take time to educate yourself.

This is a really good example of somebody not understanding gemstones. The stone the OP posted is about as far removed from an aquamarine you can get. You also posted a specs garnet when somebody was looking for a wine coloured stone. I can’t help feeling you’re trying to cause a bit of a commotion.

It jus kinda looks like aquamarine,it does,it's obviously not,that obvious

W

westofhere

The alternative to troll, which is always a manifestation of mental illness :( ,would be very young person who doesn’t understand what others are saying. Wanting to set inexpensive stone w/ diamond for mother, calling something from the ‘early 2000s’ vintage=possible teenager. But who knows?

Reactions: LD

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It jus kinda looks like aquamarine,it does,it's obviously not,that obvious

It looks absolutely NOTHING like an aquamarine. Not even in the realm of what aqua looks like. I'm sorry, but I would suggest doing more research and learning before arguing with the advise of long-time members.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
It looks absolutely NOTHING like an aquamarine. Not even in the realm of what aqua looks like. I'm sorry, but I would suggest doing more research and learning before arguing with the advise of long-time members.

Not arguing just liked the aqua seafoam type of green☺️

S

Shiny Black Cat

thanks for your opinion. i would like to have more synthetics like this.

thanks for your opinion. i would like to have more synthetics like this.

Whether or not something is valuable in the traditional sense of the word tends to not be a matter of opinion. This is a lab-created stone (either alexandrite or sapphire). It is not uncommon or expensive. If you like it, that's great, but the resale value to a knowledgable consumer would be around $20. View attachment 839858

Pokerface,You lost several zeros somewhere along the w ay.. Add it to $20 and we can talk.yes, l like it very much. It just needs some polishing, a good jeweler and that's jt. May l ask you to post some photos with this colour change, synthetics or natural, if it's not uncommon. these photos were taken in natural/shade light and candle light. IMG_20210623_083516.jpg IMG_20210623_173239.jpg IMG_20210623_085611.jpg IMG_20210623_085611.jpg IMG_20210623_085611.jpg IMG_20210623_140247.jpg

S

Shiny Black Cat

Pokerface,You lost several zeros somewhere along the w ay.. Add it to $20 and we can talk.yes, l like it very much. It just needs some polishing, a good jeweler and that's jt. May l ask you to post some photos with this colour change, synthetics or natural, if it's not uncommon. these photos were taken in natural/shade light and candle light. [ATT IMG_20210623_173239.jpg ACH]839940[/ATTACH] IMG_20210623_173239.jpg IMG_20210623_085611.jpg IMG_20210623_085611.jpg IMG_20210623_085611.jpg IMG_20210623_140247.jpg

839939 IMG_20210623_083516.jpg IMG_20210623_140247.jpg 839941

W

westofhere

Can threads be locked?

S

Shiny Black Cat

IMG_20201213_124119.jpg
Can threads be locked?

I don t know. New to the forums. I just have expirience with fb groups. Something wrong again? My grammar or what...?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can threads be locked?

Only the PS mod can lock threads.

@natalija I don't see that you have done or written anything wrong. It is clear that you are most likely not the same person as the other one. As FYI, we are not allowed to discuss synthetics in this part of the forum.

S

Shiny Black Cat

Only the PS mod can lock threads.

@natalija I don't see that you have done or written anything wrong. It is clear that you are most likely not the same person as the other one. As FYI, we are not allowed to discuss synthetics in this part of the forum.

what is PS mod and what is the point of locking thread? sorry, l am learning. I agree about synthetics, i am so lucky to find a place where l am posting my natural gems.i also love synthetics,and yewelry but there are some other places for it.=)2and what about all inconvenience i had to go through is because someone made mistake and misidentified me with other person? it s easy to hide your identity and behave . unkindly. ;)2good luck with such behaviour

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS mod = Pricescope moderator

There are various reasons for a thread being locked (out of control, too heated, breaking PS rules, etc) but I don't think it is warranted in this case. Just my opinion as I am not the mod here on PS.

I hope you will stay and share your experiences with us here on PS!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
From GIA:
"Synthetic color-change corundum (of which ruby and sapphire are varieties) was developed approximately in 1909. The color change in alexandrite-like synthetic sapphire will be bluish purple or greenish blue changing to reddish purple, depending on the growth process used to create the synthetics."

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ly-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-it-alexandrite-gemstones.241484/#post-4356307

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-this-an-alexandrite.247395/#post-4509778

Though I can testify to having seen many similar stones in the past at thrift stores, jewelry fairs, etc, I admit it is harder than I thought it would be to find something similar via Google. I can think of a number of different reasons why this might be:

1) It is now about 80 years since these rings were popular. They are costume jewelry, and most costume jewelry ends up getting thrown away. Your stone appears to me to be one that has been removed from a vintage 9k or 10k costume ring. I was able to find a modern example, though - here's an "alexandrite corundum" described as green in sunlight and red in lamplight: https://www.amazon.com/Alexandrite-Pendant-Sterling-Bridesmaid-Gemstone/dp/B0811HVK19

2) There are so many variations on lab stones and simulated stones that it can be difficult to know what you have and to advertise correctly.

3) You say your stone is green in daylight and reddish under LED light. Virtually all gems are photographed under incandescent or LED light, and therefore, you cannot immediately find a photo of one of these stones looking green.

Last edited:
S

Shiny Black Cat

From GIA:
"Synthetic color-change corundum (of which ruby and sapphire are varieties) was developed approximately in 1909. The color change in alexandrite-like synthetic sapphire will be bluish purple or greenish blue changing to reddish purple, depending on the growth process used to create the synthetics."

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ly-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-it-alexandrite-gemstones.241484/#post-4356307

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-this-an-alexandrite.247395/#post-4509778

Though I can testify to having seen many similar stones in the past at thrift stores, jewelry fairs, etc, I admit it is harder than I thought it would be to find something similar via Google. I can think of a number of different reasons why this might be:

1) It is now about 80 years since these rings were popular. They are costume jewelry, and most costume jewelry ends up getting thrown away.

2) There are so many variations on lab stones and simulated stones that it can be difficult to know what you have and to advertise correctly.

3) You say your stone is green in daylight and reddish under LED light. Virtually all gems are photographed under incandescent or LED light, and therefore, you cannot immediately find a photo of one of these stones looking green.

thanks for info, right now l can t answer , need some time to translate. sending synthetical corundum, for comparison.According to reputable online appraisal, this is synthetical corudum. But l really don t trust in autoritis with this colours it can be anything, l don t use any filters, photoshop etc. only day light,incandescent light ,candle and led lamp. I wonder if this is synthetics. Sometimes you have only intuition.no lab, maybe l be wrong. IMG_20210518_172118.jpg IMG_20210521_150218.jpg IMG_20210518_172959.jpg IMG_20210515_162528.jpg IMG_20210518_195445.jpg IMG_20210518_172933.jpg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say. Neither stone you posted is a natural alexandrite, nor does either possess any particular value. Synthetic corundum can come in different colors and have a slightly different appearance based on the manufacturing process. Synthetic corundum can also be treated (post synthesis). I am not 100% certain what your original stone is, but the options are: 1) lab or synthetic alexandrite (chemically the same as alexandrite) or 2) simulated alexandrite (meaning another material, created in a lab, made to resemble alexandrite). Either way, the stone was made in a lab. I think the likely scenario is simulated alexandrite, with the likely material being corundum.

Last edited:
S

Shiny Black Cat

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say. Neither stone you posted is an alexandrite, nor does either possess any particular value. Synthetic corundum can come in different colors and have a slightly different appearance based on the manufacturing process. Synthetic corundum can also be treated (post synthesis). I am not 100% certain what your original stone is, but the options are: 1) lab or synthetic alexandrite (chemically the same as alexandrite) or 2) simulated alexandrite (meaning another material, created in a lab, made to resemble alexandrite). Either way, the stone was made in a lab. I think the likely scenario is simulated alexandrite, with the likely material being corundum.

l learnt a lot about synthetics. to sustain your claims, you should provide some evidence for ex. which process was used to produce this" very good copy" and some photos., that s what l do.If something is a good copy it should be known in gem community. if even in labs is sometimes difficult to distinguish betwen natural and lab created material l wouldn t dare to say that a stone is something or not only by photos. anyway, l like to ask for opinions, that s always interesting, and l always learn something new. not everything colourfull what is posted and colour change is synthetics corundum, there are some other natural colour change stones. Btw it is the same stone in different lighting in my reply..the problem are , obviously, loose stones. everyone knows what is a stone when it comes with certificate.everything you wrote l ve already found on net. i would like to know your experience with Alexandrite, natural or synthetics. i would like to know where to find synthetics Alexandrite 5.5ct for 20$.

Attachments

• IMG_20210625_124855.jpg
    IMG_20210625_124855.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210625_124823.jpg
    IMG_20210625_124823.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210625_124855.jpg
    IMG_20210625_124855.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210625_124823.jpg
    IMG_20210625_124823.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 10
W

westofhere

Did the vendor disclose when you bought it the horrible shape it’s in, all the chips and abrasions? If not, I’d send it back.

S

Shiny Black Cat

Did the vendor disclose when you bought it the horrible shape it’s in, all the chips and abrasions? If not, I’d send it back.

no, it was my mistake, i droped it , and yes, it needs some polish and that s it. you have some experience , with damaged stones.? l have one more Alex, but l ll post it in few days, now l am a bit tired, l must refrash my English. actually my cat is playing with Alexandrites.

S

Shiny Black Cat

no, it was my mistake, i droped it , and yes, it needs some polish and that s it. you have some experience , with damaged stones.? l have one more Alex, but l ll post it in few days, now l am a bit tired, l must refrash my English. actually my cat is playing with Alexandrites.

Here is a .95ct lab alexandrite for $2:

etsy? l don t see colour change.
Sometimes I let my cats play with diamonds, since they’re not really that rare.

uh, don tl like diamonds, except pink.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another one with better color change for $3: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/809375566/nanosital-e-156-color-change-alexandrite

I'm done responding now. If you know a lot about synthetics, then you would know that this is one (or a simulate). There is not a single legitimate reason to think otherwise. There are other natural color change stones. I'm sorry to say that this is not one of them. It can be hard to identify a good fake. There is a reason 100% of the feedback here is negative. Your stone is not a good fake. It would not be difficult for a lab or any reputable jeweler to identify as a synthetic or simulate. If you are happy with synthetic or simulated gems, that's great! Just don't be paying inflated prices for what you're getting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look on etsy you can find a TON of synthetic alexandrite that is extremely cheap. It won't be the nicest synth on the market by any stretch, but it exists and it is very very cheap.

S

Shiny Black Cat

:lol-2::lol-2:Here is another one with better color change for $3: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/809375566/nanosital-e-156-color-change-alexandrite

I'm done responding now. If you know a lot about synthetics, then you would know that this is one (or a simulate). There is not a single legitimate reason to think otherwise. There are other natural color change stones. I'm sorry to say that this is not one of them. It can be hard to identify a good fake. There is a reason 100% of the feedback here is negative. Your stone is not a good fake. It would not be difficult for a lab or any reputable jeweler to identify as a synthetic or simulate. If you are happy with synthetic or simulated gems, that's great! Just don't be paying inflated prices for what you're getti

If you look on etsy you can find a TON of synthetic alexandrite that is extremely cheap. It won't be the nicest synth on the market by any stretch, but it exists and it is very very cheap.
i am not buying anything online. just from hand to hand.

S

Shiny Black Cat

Here is another one with better color change for $3: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/809375566/nanosital-e-156-color-change-alexandrite

I'm done responding now. If you know a lot about synthetics, then you would know that this is one (or a simulate). There is not a single legitimate reason to think otherwise. There are other natural color change stones. I'm sorry to say that this is not one of them. It can be hard to identify a good fake. There is a reason 100% of the feedback here is negative. Your stone is not a good fake. It would not be difficult for a lab or any reputable jeweler to identify as a synthetic or simulate. If you are happy with synthetic or simulated gems, that's great! Just don't be paying inflated prices for what you're getting.

i asked for your experience, when you have a stone in your hands.

W

westofhere

No one is saying your love of synthetic stones is bad, just that it’s good to be able to distinguish the ones that are worth hundreds from the ones that are worth a dollar or two. Even before you dropped this stone and it ricocheted from hard surface to hard surface in a miraculous feat of physics, incurring nicks with each collision, this was not a high quality stone. If you want to learn more, on the Pricescope “Fabulous Fashion Jewelry”
forum there are threads where experienced buyers discuss synthetics. Good luck!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Lots of good comments and guesses as to what this is.
Just gonna sit back and enjoy the mystery.

PopcornTaxi.gif

S

Shiny Black Cat

nd
No one is saying your love of synthetic stones is bad, just that it’s good to be able to distinguish the ones that are worth hundreds from the ones that are worth a dollar or two. Even before you dropped this stone and it ricocheted from hard surface to hard surface in a miraculous feat of physics, incurring nicks with each collision, this was not a high quality stone. If you want to learn more, on the Pricescope “Fabulous Fashion Jewelry”
forum there are threads where experienced buyers discuss synthetics. Good luck!

westofhere, you are really persistent. lt s interesting that members who are included in this discussion have information only from net and are not able to take a photos of their stones( synthetics or natural) and have no experience. i must admit that i didn t provide proper care for the stone, have a look at photos on the begining of the thread, that s how it looked like when l bought it.. the scratces you see are shadows of an old costume band, in which l set the stone, just in order to keep the stone in place while taking photos.. there are some free gemology courses online, you can google it, maybe it can help you to systemize your knowledge.

W

westofhere

Why would anyone waste their time posting photos when all you do is dismiss what they’re saying, and then insult their knowledge base? Why do you deserve that charity? Why post if all you’re seeking is validation? Buy what you like, believe what you like, but don’t waste others’ time if you’re not willing to listen. Just sit home and enjoy your purchases.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results