shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this an alexandrite?

Keedycat

Rough_Rock
Bought this ring at an antique store; was told it was someone’s grandma’s amethyst ring. I got home and noticed it was now green?! The cut seems rough and the setting looks handmade. I’ve attached a picture with flash and one under my lamp to show both colors. 059B895C-0DF5-4D0F-8DC0-146A41A4DA6B.jpeg BEC637E3-2DD1-4F61-86AF-8C9F9B7DEE83.jpeg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
My initial and gut reaction from seeing many natural alexandrites online and in person would be sadly, no it is definetely not a natural alexandrite.
It looks like synthetic corrundum which I think was mass produced back then, so theres a lot of vintage rings floating around with this material, but sadly its worth about the same amount that a glass stone in its place would be.
It is a pretty little ring though as is, and I hope even with this news (that its not a natural stone from the ground) that you can still enjoy it!

Good luck!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't start duplicate threads in different sections of the forum - it makes it harder work for you to keep track of responses, and makes it harder work for people looking for answers using the search tool in the future.

Keedycat

Rough_Rock
Please don't start duplicate threads in different sections of the forum - it makes it harder work for you to keep track of responses, and makes it harder work for people looking for answers using the search tool in the future.

Ok! Didn’t realize that was a no no but I won’t do it again.

andrianivanov

Rough_Rock
Synthetic corundum is not green!
Please don’t give wrongs answers Look like everyone stone is fake only yours is real
Please explains
How much stones is mining ⛏ This is not one or two
Certificated stones is guarantee, but not everything

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many variations of “synthetic or lab grown” Alexandrite, some better than others.
Alexandrite is a rare gem, very rare in sizes over 2 carats and incredibly rare if large and not included because Alexandrite is like Emerald in that it’s a type 2 gemstone- crystal imperfections are expected.
Could your ring contain a natural, earth mined Alexandrite?
Very unlikely.
however, no one can tell from photographs if a gemstone is natural or lab created. To get clarification one way or the other you would need to submit it to a gem laboratory like AGL. Then you will have documented evidence and no one can argue with that.

andrianivanov

Rough_Rock
People with Alexandrite & this with Certificate gems
Please understand Alexandrite need 2 Certificate
I read much article and no one say with one certificate you will be guaranteed

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Looks synthetic

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is almost certainly synthetic.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No!!!!!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Not alexandrite. I would guess synthetic color-change corundum or glass.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bought this ring at an antique store; was told it was someone’s grandma’s amethyst ring. I got home and noticed it was now green?! The cut seems rough and the setting looks handmade. I’ve attached a picture with flash and one under my lamp to show both colors. 059B895C-0DF5-4D0F-8DC0-146A41A4DA6B.jpeg BEC637E3-2DD1-4F61-86AF-8C9F9B7DEE83.jpeg

The cut is a concave cut, aka Millenium cut. Concave cuts were invented in the 90's, so vintage ring maybe, antique surely not.
Nobody would cut a natural Alexandrite like that because wastes a lot of material compared to other types of cuts.

My vote is for synthetic, hope this helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results